Terrance Knighton slims down to 350

Oakland Raiders v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

After the season, the Jaguars told defensive tackle Terrance Knighton that he was too fat. Knighton took that to heart, and slimmed down considerably over the last couple months.

I’m in the best shape I’ve been in since reporting as a rookie,” Knighton told Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union. “The number is a lot … lower than checking in last year when I came back during camp the high [360s], maybe even low [370s]. I’m 20 pounds less than that. They’re happy where I am.”

There aren’t many people who can be happy with their weight loss and still weigh 350 pounds, but that does represent progress for Knighton, who has been listed at 336 pounds but weighed much more for most of his career. But Knighton said he can feel the difference in his body.

“A lot of guys, you see it around the league with the big stomachs, it really doesn’t affect them,” Knighton said. “Mine’s in the lower body, so that slows down my foot quickness and that’s one of my areas that I’m really good at. . . . If I’m playing slow, there’s no reason for me to be out there.”

Knighton, who is going into the final year of his contract, said he thinks there will be rewards to losing weight next year, and for the rest of his life.

“Going into my last year of my contract, that’s obviously important to me,” Knighton said. “If guys will tell you the money wasn’t important, they’re lying to you. But really I care about my health and longevity after football. I don’t want to be remembered for the guy who had weight problems, I want to be remembered for the guy who turned it around.”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Terrance Knighton slims down to 350”
  1. cylondetector says: Apr 5, 2012 8:51 AM

Well thats another item off my ‘to do’ check list.

37. Read an article on an athlete which contains the terms ‘slim down’ and ‘to 350Lbs’ which is actually supposed to be congratulatory.

2. rollinrubber says: Apr 5, 2012 8:53 AM

Knighton is an under appreciated player on this team. I don’t think fans see his value but slow down the film sometime and you will see just how good a player he is and he still has room to get better. Go jags

3. biggestloser79 says: Apr 5, 2012 8:54 AM

Good for him getting his weight in check and getting healthy

4. awhite46 says: Apr 5, 2012 8:57 AM

When his weight is down, he’s one of the best DTs in the league.

Jags in 2012. Change you can believe in.

5. regisphilbin says: Apr 5, 2012 8:58 AM

He must have switched to lean cuisine Pot Roast.

6. shackdelrio says: Apr 5, 2012 10:06 AM

Knighton is a monster. He will be a Pro Bowler soon enough.

7. tarken10 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:00 AM

Someone give that man a cheeseburger. He’s a rail!

8. rickastleydancemoves says: Apr 5, 2012 11:03 AM

He’ll eventually eat himself out of the league.

9. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Apr 5, 2012 1:34 PM

Good for him! People shouldn’t sneer at this guy due to his weight though. This is the nature of today’s NFL when it comes to offensive and interior defensive linemen. In days of yore, these guys bulked-up on steroids. At least in this era, starting with the Ted Washingtons and Gilbert Browns, guys are fat ’cause that’s what teams are looking for-size and bulk.

10. doe22us says: Apr 5, 2012 1:54 PM

Anytime i read about this guy, i cant help laugh at his nickname Pork chop lol.

11. sbxxix says: Apr 5, 2012 2:03 PM

This is good stuff right here. This guy just decided he was going to get it done and did exactly that. I love hearing stories like this. Way to go big boy.

12. jagalag says: Apr 5, 2012 3:16 PM

Didn’t he buy his mom a house right down the street from his? That might have had something to do with the weight gain. Gotta love Potroast.

13. blackhairedlawyerssuck says: Apr 6, 2012 12:23 AM

@doe22us …you really are good at comprehending what you read..his nickname is POT ROAST !!!! Moron !!!!!