Adrian Peterson gives $1 million to University of Oklahoma

ncf_peterson_275 Getty Images

Adrian Peterson took a moment away from rehabbing his knee to give something back to the University of Oklahoma.

The university announced that the Vikings running back has donated $1 million to the school to help build new housing and endow a scholarship fund in his name. It is the largest donation ever to the school from a former Sooner athlete and the football team’s meeting room will be renamed in Peterson’s honor.

“This was something that I had been thinking about doing for a long time,” said Peterson in a release from the school. “I always hoped to be in a position to be able to donate back to the University of Oklahoma and make it an even better place; do whatever I could to help the university that did so much for me. It was something that I always wanted to do and there just came a time when I got established and comfortable enough to make it happen. It was a no-brainer to do it and I am thankful that I’m in a position to give back to OU and to show my appreciation.”

Peterson joins Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, Packers cornerback Charles Woodson, 49ers safety Madieu Williams and Giants quarterback Eli Manning as NFL players who have pledged big chunks of cash in recent years to the schools that helped put them in position to make it.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Adrian Peterson gives $1 million to University of Oklahoma”
  1. barnes28 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:14 AM

A.P is the man! Great football player, better person

2. cowboychris5xchamps says: Apr 6, 2012 10:14 AM

Signing that $100 million dollar contract made this decision a lot easier…

3. mcqphx says: Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM

and the football team’s meeting room will be renamed in Peterson’s honor.

Who’s name was removed? Couldn’t they name another building after him? If that was my family members name that was being removed, I would be furious.

4. danger19 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:20 AM

Class act

5. itsnotforme says: Apr 6, 2012 10:25 AM

I wonder when Peyton Manning is going to make his contribution to Tennessee?

6. tjacks7 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:27 AM

Donating a million bucks is a heck of a move, but I think you could find a better place to donate it than a place that receives a ton of money from their students via books, classes, boarding, ticket sales, etc.

7. purpleguy says: Apr 6, 2012 10:32 AM

AP’s a good dude. Last summer a bunch of our neighborhood kids were selling lemonade and snickers bars for a charitable event, AP stopped by gave the kids $200 for a snickers bar, and took a bunch of pics with them.

8. purplepridehasadownside says: Apr 6, 2012 10:36 AM

really, Rex??? C’mon, a guy that gives a big donation like this is prolly generous in many other ways that don’t get alot of press, remember, the school released this, not AP, I am a Vikings fan, and certainly not a fan of self-promotion, or a fan of all of these celebrities/athletes that break their arms patting their own backs being ‘generous’, but, AP appears to be a class act.

9. adsbad28 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:43 AM

@Rex grossman You are pathetic!!! I really doubt most of the kids that come and play football for OU are rich. In fact I bet most come from a below poverty household. Its not a prep school u d-bag. And AD has a great program called football for good that helps at risk kids all over the nation. He donates $5,000 for every touchdown he scores also. You need to get your facts right before you start spewing out your baseless thoughts. Never knew it was a bad thing to give back to something that helped you become successful in your carrier. You are a pathetic little man.

10. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Apr 6, 2012 10:48 AM

Good for him

11. randomjim says: Apr 6, 2012 10:50 AM

Rex Grossman says:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:13 AM
    I’m sure the University of Oklahoma is in dire need of money.

That money should have gone elsewhere. To a cause that makes a difference. Not to build dorms for a bunch of rich kids. Selfish move by Peterson.

Why don’t you donate $1 million to Twitter Inc. while you’re at it
    ==================================
    A comparison made by an idiot. Maybe he is giving back to the place that bettered his life.
    I’m sure you give all of your money to the widowed, orphaned & poor.

12. rubberinnertube says: Apr 6, 2012 10:50 AM

AD doesn’t have to give his money to anyone. Being rich doesn’t require donations.

Just be happy he gave some of his wealth away rather than being greedy, squandering it and then becoming the next former millionaire athlete to file bankruptcy…

13. adsbad28 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:52 AM

@Rex grossman Also I didn’t realize GIVING away one million dollars was a selfish move. If you had to take a wonderlick test I’d say you would probably get a 2 and be asking Claiborn or Vince Young for help.

14. squared80 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:53 AM

Rex Grossman says:Apr 6, 2012 10:13 AM …

Your user name says it all. Completely out of touch with reality. You must be a Packers fan, too.

15. gd200799 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:56 AM

How is that a selfish move? He is donating money to a university that helped him get where he is now, that isnt selfish that is showing appreciation. What would have been selfish is if he would have released a statement saying he never needed OU anyway and that they owe him for going there in the first place.

16. bdoubleoey says: Apr 6, 2012 11:00 AM

Rex, just like the guy u r pretending to be, ur an idiot. AP donates and works with many charities. Have u never heard of boosters? many rich ex students give money to their schools. And if u actually saw in the article alot will go to starting a scholorship, which usually goes to students who can go to Oklahoma but can aford it. So ur and idiot and AP is a stand up person. Great Job AP, look forward to seeing u run over defenders again soon.

17. eddiejisin says: Apr 6, 2012 11:12 AM

Great way to give back to the university that helped him get where he is today. Oklahoma will always remember AP now.

18. kansacity88 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:12 AM

Nothing against AP and I think it’s cool that he did that….actually awesome! I just laugh though because I remember him saying on Twitter how he didn’t have the money to give to Reebok to change his number/buyout all his jerseys, actually saying, “I don’t make that much!!” LOL! Again, I’m not downing the guy for giving back, just sayin…..

19. lbpackfan says: Apr 6, 2012 11:16 AM

Why not put the 1 million to your teams stadium efforts??? Perhaps he is hoping they move…who knows!

20. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Apr 6, 2012 11:39 AM

Rex Grossman says: Apr 6, 2012 10:13 AM

I’m sure the University of Oklahoma is in dire need of money.

Why don’t you donate $1 million to Twitter Inc. while you’re at it

___________

It’s his money that he earned. He might have been given some great God-given gifts, but you don’t just make it to the NFL being lazy. He can spend his money however he wants and paying for renovations and the education of people for the university that gave him an education and helped him in boosting his football career is not selfish. And this is coming from an OSU fan and Packers fan, but, I can’t stand to not respect AP.

21. fringetastic says: Apr 6, 2012 11:41 AM

Give back to a university? How stupid, they already made millions off of him and have a program that is funded beyond belief.

If he wants a building named after him, donate to a non-profit hospital.

22. markpackman says: Apr 6, 2012 11:53 AM

AP – Total class all the way! It’s great that in light of bountygate that PFT took time to recognize a player that makes the NFL the greatest sport organization in history.

I only wish AP was a Packer!

23. scobbalobba says: Apr 6, 2012 11:57 AM

Class act A Pete, I am a 49ers fan from Australia but this is a great story about someone giving back to where it all began

24. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 6, 2012 12:30 PM

mcqphx says:Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM

and the football team’s meeting room will be renamed in Peterson’s honor.

__________

The room used to be called the Red Room. Since red is the color of anger, you’re right it is probably furious.

25. jjbadd says: Apr 6, 2012 12:44 PM

That is a class act by AP. I don’t care how much money a man has, he had a choice in whether to donate, & he made the right one…

26. 86chawk says: Apr 6, 2012 12:50 PM

What a great guy!! The Vikings and their fans are so lucky to have a player and person like Adrian Peterson. Just an all around class act!!

27. randomjim says: Apr 6, 2012 2:38 PM

Funny Rex’s original post is gone. Too bad everyone copy & pasted it to preserve the stupidity.

28. rcali says: Apr 6, 2012 4:12 PM

That should buy a ton of top recuits! I know, I know, thumbs down from all those with their heads in the sand about how you win National Championships.

29. skolvikes says: Apr 6, 2012 5:00 PM

kansacity88 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:12 AM

———————————————————–

You’re just saying you can’t tell the difference between spending millions of dollars just to change numbers and giving a million dollar donation to better a university?

Glad AP isn’t you.

30. vilelabyrinth says: Apr 6, 2012 9:21 PM

nice move AP.. REX, you’re gettin crushed man. LOL

31. gdeli says: Apr 6, 2012 11:48 PM

that’s nice to do that even though they made millions OFF of him and his teammates thru football. But that’s the way it works.

32. staffordsyear says: Apr 7, 2012 12:44 AM

Ndamukong suh gave 2.4 million i believe,nice gester nonetheless.

33. theytukrjobs says: Apr 7, 2012 2:17 PM

Pretty rare for an NFL player to give back a million dollars like that. Wow. Peterson is high class all the way.

34. kansacity88 says: Apr 8, 2012 3:01 AM

———————————————————–

Glad AP isn’t you.

_______________________________

Yeah, ummmm I didnt SAY I didnt understand but since you somehow got that out of me saying that it was funny that this guy said “HE DIDNT GET PAID THAT MUCH….” THATS what I was bringing up! He Twittered he didnt get paid enough to change his number/buy out his jerseys from Reebok, but he has enough to donate to his former university! AGAIN, I didnt say I didnt understand what he did, smart guy! I know AP isnt you either because he probably wouldve understood what I said and not switched it around to sound like something else! But thanks for playin’, next time READ CLOSELY before you comment on something!