Gleason says Pamphilon was not authorized to release Williams audio

10080289-large_display_image Getty Images

As expected, former Saints defensive back and special teams standout Steve Gleason has issued a statement regarding the decision of filmmaker Sean Pamphilon to release audio that he recorded the night before the Saints lost to the 49ers in the NFC playoffs.

“Sean Pamphilon and I have agreement that all recordings ultimately belong to me and my family,” Gleason writes.  “Nothing can be released without my explicit approval.  I did not authorize the public release of any recordings.”

Gleason, whose blocked punt during the first game in the Superdome after a hurricane ravaged the city became the turning for the franchise, suffers from ALS, a fatal disease.  Pamphilon has been working with Gleason to document his battle with the illness.  Though some believe the goal is to “sell” a documentary, Gleason’s explains that his goal was to create “a video journal library, documenting my thoughts on life to pass on to Rivers,” his young son.

“Since my retirement, and specifically this year, the Saints have opened their doors and included me in countless team functions,” Gleason writes.  “I included Sean Pamphilon in these activities, because I felt my relationship with the Saints was an integral part of my overall journey.  The Saints trusted me and gave us unlimited access in filing, and I, in turn, trusted Sean Pamphilon.”

At a time when so much focus has been on the things Gregg Williams said, it’s easy to forget that Gleason is now dealing with the fact that, via Pamphilon’s actions, Gleason has made a bad situation worse for the Saints.

“I feel deflated and disappointed,” Gleason writes.  “I feel frustrated and distracted.  Nevertheless, these feelings will pass, and I will continue steadfast in my mission.”

And so at a time when many are celebrating Pamphilon for doing the right thing (regardless of whether he was motivated by a desire to promote himself and his film projects) and correctly wagging the finger even harder at the Saints, let’s not forget that Pamphilon has betrayed the trust of a dying man.

It’s just another sad twist to one of the most unfortunate stories the NFL has ever seen.

Permalink 126 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
126 Responses to “Gleason says Pamphilon was not authorized to release Williams audio”
  1. bigwinintx says: Apr 6, 2012 10:13 AM

Unless he signed a contract specifically stating that all audio and or video belongs to the partnership and can’t be released without both parties permission, he can stop bitching.

We know he didn’t release the audio, but the horse is out of the barn now. Just move on and make your contracts to your advantage next time.

2. cliffordc05 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:14 AM

Pamphilon broke his word with Gleason. While Gleason thinks he is creating a legacy for his son, Pamphilon is dreaming of a documentary academy award. He also released a rather long press release with his personal views of Greg Williams. Pamphilon could have provided the tape to the NFL under a confidentiality agreement but then we wouldn’t be writing his name or know this pathetic scumbag even existed. And that is the nicest thing I have to say about Pamphilon.

3. buhbay1c says: Apr 6, 2012 10:15 AM

It’s tragic that with so little time left in his life, Steve is linked to this despicable scandal (courtesy of the Saints organization and Pamphilon equally). All the best Steve.

4. thetruth1313 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:15 AM

I dont understand that logic, if it was for his son. Why have William’s “speech” on the tape if its for his young son?

5. SkeletalDrawing says: Apr 6, 2012 10:15 AM

Few things in life are ever black and white. I believe Gleason made the best available decision, but I feel for Pamphilon and his family.

6. duanethomas says: Apr 6, 2012 10:15 AM

No one is noble in the whole mess. Goodell, Payton, Williams, Parcell, Pamphilon etc…………..

7. jazzytrav says: Apr 6, 2012 10:15 AM

If there was any question about the contents of the audio, I would say Pamphilon shouldn’t have done it. But considering what was on that tape, part of me thinks Gleason should have wanted to release the audio himself.

I hate to even try to put myself in Gleason’s shoes, but don’t you think a dying man would have a problem with a coach telling players to aim for the head of other players, especially with so many former players coming back with brain disease from multiple concussions?

8. geauxsaintsforever says: Apr 6, 2012 10:16 AM

bigwinintx says:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:13 AM

__________________

Um, he said he had an agreement that the recordings belonged to him and his family and NOTHING COULD BE RELEASED WITHOUT HIS EXPLICIT APPROVAL. People need to start actually reading the articles before commenting. This is getting ridiculous.

9. jlinatl says: Apr 6, 2012 10:16 AM

Pamphilon is a scumbag. What he did was self righteous and self serving. Nothing changes because of the tape. It is titillation but the facts were already out. If all Pamphilon wanted to do was the right thing, he could have informed the NFL and Silver that he had recorded the meeting as part of the filming. That provides the the information to those that need it and someone that could have followed up on it.

Gleason should sue. Hell, if they had him sign a waiver, the Saints should sue. Williams is going to pay a steep price as well he should. But to celebrate someone that betrayed the trust, and potentially the contractual agreement of someone (especially with ALS) is disgusting.

10. mrhurriicane says: Apr 6, 2012 10:16 AM

So are you saying you’re angry a coach was exposed and the truth came out and it makes the other people who tried to lie and hide it look even worse?

11. alewatcher says: Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM

Just when you think this story can’t get any worse, it gets worse. You have to feel bad for Gleason, but at the same time, Williams’ actions were totally beyond what NFL football is about. I’m sure it was a tough call for Pamphilon, but at the end of the day, hopefully it makes the game better. There is no place in the game for deliberately attempting to injure another player.

12. Wisconsin77 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM

I think I lost the under on this game because of that blocked punt. You can go #@$ yourself Gleason. Nobody cares if you authorized the release or not. With that being said, I hope you feel better soon ;)

13. TaiwanMike says: Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM

Contract or not, did Gleason really think that after BountyGate was made public that these tapes would keep collecting dust? That’s like saying that after Ford pardoned Nixon, we would all forget about the 18 minutes of missing tape.

14. vikingdoode says: Apr 6, 2012 10:18 AM

Fire him hire another film maker. Happens all the time. Nice pub though.

15. jonirocit says: Apr 6, 2012 10:18 AM

Yeah that sucks but what should I the guy do ignore it because Gleason wants to remain one of the boys ? It sucks but the right thing to do is make it public. I get it and I’m sure worse things are said but at some point the word professional needs to keen something when we say it. It’s just business ? If this happened in any other line of work other that the military there would be hell to pay . I don’t care what has happened in the past it you want to be known as a professional and a business then the same rules apply . If not then let’s make games free, drop salaries, cut advertising then you can say what ever the heck you want .

16. cupcakes887 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

sometimes the right thing to do is not always the easiest thing…DUH

17. saints25 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

Mike Silver is a POS…Too ,The Dan Patrick show yesterday talked with a guy Who was apart of the film crew said the NFL already had this audio of GW,And its nothing new…

18. countsnail says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

The Saints come across as more desperate than News Corp. or the Catholic Church in attempting to cover up their wrongdoings.

These guys need to stop deluding themselves and just admit that Williams is a scumbag, and he’s getting exactly what he deserves.

19. hystoracle says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

Saints were behind the release of this audio.. Bank on that.. Comes out the same day they bring out their rogue coach defense…. Yeah great timing for them, and not by accident. Gleason needs to start complaining to the team. This team can’t own and admit to anything they have done even when they have been caught red-handed. The truth shall set you free!

20. jameslongstaffe says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

The whole story is really disappointing, & I have lost some respect for that organization. Every Sunday when I watch football, I really enjoy it:) Injuries are part of the game, & it was always understood that players would hit as hard as they could, & I love a big hit! But I just feel disappointed that an organization would be so intent on winning, that they have no regard for human life. Whenever a player is seriously injured & the stretcher comes onto the field… the stadium becomes quiet & the players gather to pray. Why is that? Because as much as everyone wants to win, they still have a heart beating in their chest. Gregg Williams crossed over to the dark side, & he should be ashamed for being so selfish and irresponsible. Sean Payton, I can only assume had knowledge of this mentality, & as head coach had the power but looked the other way. I can’t say that is much better, & combined with vicodin scandal, I cannot say I respect him very much as a person. Great football coach

21. mrmilanp says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

22. rickastleydancemoves says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

This Pamphilon guy is an opportunistic P.O.S. Don’t hide between nobility when you are clearly exploiting the situation for your own gain. Why didn’t you release the tapes until now?

23. 26kit says: Apr 6, 2012 10:20 AM

Wrong is Wrong. Public or Private.
    Doesn’y excuse the behavior.

24. nowillrepeat says: Apr 6, 2012 10:21 AM

hey bigwinintx,
    There might not be a next time you piece of scum. Dont wave your finger at a dying man who had nothing to do with this mess as he has been retired for years.
    Everyday is a struggle for this guy and there wont be many left.
    How bout you show a little humility before you cast stones. hypocrate.

25. latopian says: Apr 6, 2012 10:21 AM

Know what? I’d want the nurse to my dying physician to inform police of a child predator on the loose. I’d want the parish secretary to my dying priest to out a terrorist planning mayhem on innocent lives. I’d want the paralegal to my dying attorney to rat the rich drunk who just killed another pedestrian.

26. chc4 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:21 AM

Whether or not he was expected to release the tape is irrelevant. Williams said what he said with the blessing of his staff. That’s the issue.

27. waitingguilty says: Apr 6, 2012 10:22 AM

Disappointed and deflated that the truth came out?

So it would have been better to actively participate in a cover up where coaches are teaching players to blast acls and target concussions?

That makes sense.

28. RoseTintedVisor says: Apr 6, 2012 10:22 AM

Dear BigWininTx,

Your compassion for a dying disease stricken man is heartwarming. People like you fill me with confidence in the human race going forward.

29. bigperm33 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:24 AM

This was a bad decision by Pamphilon to release this audio. It has done a lot of damage to future filmmakers. These documentary style videos are great, but if you were a coach/team, would you know let any one with a camera near your team knowing that then something you say in the heat of the game can be leaked to the league or the press. (this is not defending williams one bit, but what was the point in pampilon in leaking the audio? williams has already been punished and was not appealing. this was self-serving on his part).

30. truthfactory says: Apr 6, 2012 10:24 AM

He may not like it, but its for the better of the NFL and all future players that these types of coaches be exposed and be removed from the game. Playing hard is one thing, but aiming to take out an ACL is another.

31. thegrey7 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:25 AM

I understand Gleason didn’t want to get the Saints in trouble and I have a lot of respect for him dealing with his disease. However, I’d have even more respect for him if he encouraged the release of this video.

32. gergie1957 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:25 AM

If you listened to The Dan Patrick show yesterday Sean Pamphilon said that what Williams said on that tape was out of context. Really!!!!!!!!

My guess is Sean trying to cover his a$$, because it would be a stretch to take that out of context.

33. pftcensorssuck says: Apr 6, 2012 10:27 AM

So Steve Gleason is saying that he’s okay with Greg Williams exhorting Saints players to deliberately cripple opposing players, then?

That’s the message a guy suffering from ALS wants to leave us with?

He wants us to know he supports the wholesale lying and denial of the flouting of NFL investigators and the Commissioner’s questions by Greg Williams, Sean Payton,Mickey Loomis, and God knows how many players …… he’s saying he SUPPORTS that???

I’ve just lost any respect I may have had for Steve Gleason.

34. purplepridehasadownside says: Apr 6, 2012 10:27 AM

This whole situation is so unfortunate, sad really that this culture existed/exists in the NFL, I would hope that the fans and the teams would be able to move beyond this and play the game the way it was intended to be played.

35. dickc82 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:29 AM

I don’t care of uncomfortable Mr. Pamphilon, how his soft sentiments were harmed, or what ever excuse he makes for selling the tape. I truly hope karma finds him. The hurt he has inflicted on a man and his family that is going through one of the toughest times anyone could imagine is disgusting.

I have met some good souls being a fan of football. Steve has to be one of the best. Before his illness he lived life to the fullest and you could feel that as soon as you met him. That has not changed. I know Steve will keep his head up and not let this get him down.

36. bedmanokc says: Apr 6, 2012 10:30 AM

I know this much, Sean Pamhp, will not even be able to set foot in a Pop Warner locker room.

What a punk.

Although, Im glad I got to hear the audio.

37. milkmandanimal says: Apr 6, 2012 10:31 AM

So . . . let me get this straight–there was a guy filming the speech who was involved enough in the sports industry that he filmed one of ESPN’s 30 by 30 documentaries (Run Ricky Run), and it never occurred to anybody in the room that a guy who makes sports documentaries for a living might, in fact, document what sports-related thing was being said?

Really? I mean, when a guy gets a film on the world’s biggest sports network, shouldn’t you maybe assume he’s now part of the sports industry?

38. goosepimplebone says: Apr 6, 2012 10:32 AM

Show of hands: How many of you even knew who Pamphilon was before this audio? Yea, I thought so.

How many then went to his web site to try try to listen to the longer version? Yea, I thought so.

There’s your answer to why he did it

39. quirtevans says: Apr 6, 2012 10:33 AM

If he violated a contract, that’s wrong. Not as wrong as deliberately injuring people, but wrong.

However, it likely would have come out in litigation anyway, during discovery.

I have sympathy for Gleason, but none for the Saints. None. Williams deserves everything he gets.

40. manderson367 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:34 AM

Seriously? The Saints are trying to make Pamphilon the bad guy? Saints coaches AND players were purposely trying to ruin other players careers and they’re wanting to make the guy that has the proof the evil one? What a bunch of pu$$ies!
    I am going to laugh my ass off EVERY time I see a Saints player laying on the ground. I liked and respected the Saints before all this came out. Now, I hoped they never win a game again. They make Jerome Harrison look like an alter boy.

41. baronvonmonocle says: Apr 6, 2012 10:34 AM

I’m sure that Pamphilon will have a different opinion regarding who owns the footage.

Regardless, the real question is how stupid and/or arrogant Williams must be to say what he said with a freaking camera there.

42. dpinchot says: Apr 6, 2012 10:34 AM

Sue the crap out of that SOB Pamphilon

43. threedeep1998 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:34 AM

What would happen had the documentary came out with both a/v? Only NO fans are crying about this filmmaker. All this guy did was turn in evidence. Good for him

44. righton989 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:36 AM

Gleason was part of the Saints teams that were paid to cripple opposing players and not apologize about how they played. Florio has misdirected sympathies.

45. daltex says: Apr 6, 2012 10:36 AM

bigwinintx says:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:13 AM

Hey littlewin: sorry, but you are flat wrong. An oral agreement would be enforceable in this situation. Don’t comment when you dont know anything, mkay?

46. kronix7 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:38 AM

Really? Saints* fans are still defending these guys after some of the proof has been released? Cmon man, what’s wrong with you people?

47. bpjensen says: Apr 6, 2012 10:38 AM

Ok, he did not authorize the release of the audio. However, if Pamphilon had asked and Gleason was faced with the choice of releasing or not releasing the audio, in light of what has happened so far, Gleason would have denied Pamphilon’s request to release the audio? Unfortunately, that is what Gleason’s statement implies.

I realize Gleason is thankful to the Saints for allowing him to create something to hold onto and the relationships he has within the organization, but is that sufficient to keep something private that is quite relevant to some serious misdeeds, especially when Saints fans are up in arms about the severity of the punishment and the Louisiana State Legislature is calling on the NFL to reconsider.

Instead of claiming legal rights Gleason should have reacted to the audio just like the rest of us – with disgust. All throughout Bountygate there were so many opportunities for so many people to do the right thing, yet no one did. Of the alleged person that finally said something to the NFL, he was called a snitch on the NFL Network, and the person that released the audio gets a statement that he did not have the legal right to do it.

48. taintedsaints2009 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:39 AM

aw. too bad, saints! no turning back.

now, the entire country knows your entire organization is pure SCUM.

your superbowl trophy is a nice pile of rusted ashes now.

49. philwauke says: Apr 6, 2012 10:41 AM

Wisconsin77 says:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM

He’ll be dead soon you douche. I hope you feel better soon.

50. thejuddstir says: Apr 6, 2012 10:41 AM

If Gleason is upset about the tape release, I guess that speaks volumes of his morals and ethics. Just another lame attempt by the Saints to blame the world and not take responsibility for their actions. First, Shockey was a scumbag for supposedly being the rat, then Goodell was for handing down punishments and now it’s this Pamphilon dude for providing even more evidence. Never mind that the master-bators, Payton, Loomis & Co. were sending emails, audio recordings, video recordings that they never stopped to think would surface. If Payton, Loomis & Co. have the right to appeal their suspensions, then I believe Goodell should have the right to adjust their suspensions in light of this new evidence.

51. jf1339 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:43 AM

Authorized or not, it’s out there and the Saints have to deal with it. I’m looking forward to Goodell’s decision just so all of this is over.

I’m sick of hearing about it. First, it was Peyton, now it’s this. Let’s find something else in the NFL to report on.

52. duanethomas says: Apr 6, 2012 10:43 AM

No one is noble in the whole mess. Goodell, Payton, Williams, P

53. drjoemck says: Apr 6, 2012 10:45 AM

I have seen a lot of pre-game videos and audio recordings over the years. They are generally not that private after the game/season has been played (any strategy advantage is gone). It is not on Pamphilon that there is something against the rules, immoral and perhaps even illegal on the recording.

It may have been best to just hand the audio over to Goodell to use during his punishment and now appeal deliberations. But perhaps he wanted to stick it to the NFL, or more likely draw attention to himself and maybe even to Gleason’s plight.

Either way, he had to know that releasing this audio and without permission from anyone but himself would seriously damage his ability to garner professional trust as a journalist/documentarian in the future. Gotta think it was more for his own conscience than just a short bump in his own publicity.

Right or Wrong? Like I said at the top, he just recorded and released something we have all seen over and over again through the history of the NFL – a pre-game pep talk. He wasn’t the one making the despicable remarks.

54. jdjnewman says: Apr 6, 2012 10:47 AM

Florio: Where is your lawyer hat? During the NFL investigation, I can’t help but think that there was some equivalent of a discovery request asking for any and all recordings relevant to the investigation. The Saints knew a recording was made, but didn’t disclose it. The player(s) knew a recording was made, but didn’t disclose it.

If Mr. Gleason is receiving any benefits from the league, he has to be concerned that they’re in jeopardy for his not being forthcoming.

#thecoverupisalwaysworse

55. geo1113 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:48 AM

“Saints were behind the release of this audio.. Bank on that.. Comes out the same day they bring out their rogue coach defense”
    ————————

I don’t know. Considering the Saints were told about his behavior a couple years ago, the rogue coach defense makes the Saints look even worse.

56. richkotite says: Apr 6, 2012 10:48 AM

What whistleblower has prior permission to blow the whistle?

57. datd00d says: Apr 6, 2012 10:49 AM

I’m glad that the audio has been released – we now have hard evidence of what Gregg Williams instructed his players to do. It’s not hearsay and spotty recall anymore, its straight from the horse’s mouth. It sheds light on how truly disgusting this man was and there is no more need provide the benefit of doubt on any scale.

That being said, Pamphilon is a complete scumbag for releasing the audio tape. If he and Gleason agreed that information would be off the record, then as a journalist he is obligated to keep it OTR. He earned a man’s trust then broke that trust. Plain and simple.

The public becomes aware of many of these scandals because journalistic integrity exists. Releases like this end up hurting the greater good.

58. CKL says: Apr 6, 2012 10:50 AM

saints25 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:19 AM

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    I will go to my grave thinking RG leaked this on purpose. I am sure this is right that they already had the audio when they dispensed discipline on the Saints franchise. Look at the timing of the audio’s release. RIGHT when the Saints coaches were going for their appeal. Leak that audio and the public knows “why” they will deny the appeals. Just like w/cameragate and my opinion that Glazer had videos through Goodell’s wife who worked for Fox. Show the tapes, we know it was exactly what BB said it was.

59. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Apr 6, 2012 10:51 AM

Feel bad for Gleason- horrible disease. However, the public good and common welfare of all NFL players is best served by Pamphilon’s release of this audio. And being a former player, I’d like to believe Gleason would know this

60. motobus says: Apr 6, 2012 10:51 AM

It is weird to see that a guy with ALS which has been linked to concussions stand up for a coach that is instructing his team to purposefully concuss someone coming off of a recent concussion.

I understand that he is trying to defend the Saints organization, one I’m sure he feels very loyal to. In the bigger picture, however, I think he should be more loyal to his fellow players that are currently suffering from any other brain related trauma.

61. caveman1000 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:52 AM

Dear RoseTintedVisor,

You do realize that the man with the disease is pissed that his colleague leaked the dispicable content, right. The fact that he has a disease matters not. He’s still clearly on the side that would like to have the audio unheard, and hence, he’s wrong. Just means he’s a jerk with a disease.

People with diseases are to be judged the same way as those who don’t.

62. snccoach says: Apr 6, 2012 10:53 AM

Sean Pamphilon is a jock-sniffing leach. That 6000 word statement on his website is terrible. Even worse, he a voided the trust of a terminally ill man for his own personal gain, whether it may be financial or otherwise. So even though he may get his 15 minutes of fame, everyday for the rest of his life he will have to look at himself in the mirror knowing that he is a RAT.

63. getthegleam says: Apr 6, 2012 10:54 AM

@Wisconsin77…I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or if you are just an ignorant arse.

ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is fatal. There is no cure, there is no getting better. Its a slow death. So for you to comment about the under on that game and then wish him better health, I’m just going to assume you’re ignorant and weren’t raised right.

As for this situation, I can certainly understand Gleason’s point of view and I can also see Pamphilon’s. This is one situation that keeps getting uglier by the day it seems.

64. Lonely Libertarian says: Apr 6, 2012 10:56 AM

Am I the only one who finds this ironic.
    Gleason is dying from ALS – and some have theorized that repeated head trauma may have something to do with his having ALS.

So Florio has compassion for Gleason – but where is the contempt for Gregg Williams who the tape proves advocated a style of play that may have played a role in Gleason’s having ALS.

I have a long track record of being offended by the comish – but I am coming to believe he feels he is trying to save the NFL from itself [and coaches like Williams and Peyton].

65. ezmoover says: Apr 6, 2012 10:57 AM

WAAAAA!

He didn’t keep our dirty little secrets a secret!

Pamphilon just can’t be trusted!

66. mialto says: Apr 6, 2012 11:01 AM

All Hearsay

67. str8cashomie2 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:02 AM

are people seriously on here hating on gleason and defending a team that supported S*%$ like that for so long? sad state america is in

68. kansacity88 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:04 AM

He was taping THAT for his son Rivers to listen to? Sorry, I just skimmed the article and was taken aback by the idea of that. I’ll read it again…..

69. theservice10 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:05 AM

The truth came out well before this tape. If I were the NFL I would be pissed the tape came out. They had already done their job and taken care of it with suspensions. It was time to move on and put this behind them and really itmakes things worse. There was no need for it to be released. We all know Williams is a bad guy and this had no bearing on the outcome whatsoever. It’s only purpose was to sensationalize a story that is already unfortunate. The league needs to put this behind them and move on. Whats done is done. Lets get back to focusing on the important things like the draft, off season and the future.

I for one and sick of the story. I love football and this issue has people on both sides when really there is nothing we can do about it so lets just move forward. They were punished and Goodell did a good job of taking care of it quickly.

70. patriotsblitz says: Apr 6, 2012 11:06 AM

Isn’t it ironic:

“Kill the head, the body will die.”

71. capslockkey says: Apr 6, 2012 11:06 AM

What’s more important? Journalistic/contractual integrity with a source, or getting out the truth about coaches/players trying to injury and end other guy’s livelihood?

I think Gleason is only saying these things because he’s probably taking undeserved heat for it from fans and maybe even some players and team people.

72. missouricharger says: Apr 6, 2012 11:08 AM

we should respect the fact that his morals alone, wouldn’t allow him to let that audio slide. whether the NFL had it already or not. and I’m sure they did. goodell is a lawyer trying to save the league from more law suits. I’m glad Williams and the saints have been exposed. that being said, we all know they’re not the only team in the league that operates like that.

73. biggerballz says: Apr 6, 2012 11:09 AM

hey stupid @#$@# gleason, this tape is the only reason you’ll have a case to whine about and sue for your injuries

74. capslockkey says: Apr 6, 2012 11:11 AM

“Not sure why anyone would celebrate Pamphilon for doing the “right thing”. The right thing may have been disclosing this information to Goodell, not Yahoo. This was clearly self serving.”

I see your point, except that Goodell will do what’s in the best interest to protect the image of the league. He’d never let the fans know about or see the evidence. Remember spygate when he burned all of the tapes? I’d expect no different here. I’d rather the stuff go to the media where everyone get’s to know the real truth rather than just Emperor Goodell’s interpretation of it.

75. sg419 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:11 AM

It is as simple as this

Sean Pamphilon exploited his relationship with a dying man for his own personal gain.

What a P.O.S.

76. seaochickens says: Apr 6, 2012 11:11 AM

Getting angry at the guy who released the audio, is like getting pissed at a cop for busting you in the act of commiting a crime. It is really telling about people, when you see them hang a whistle blower instead of the people responsible for the reason the whistle was blown. In case people didn’t know this, whistle blowers get protection from the goverment because most people are too afraid of ‘snitches get stitched’. It’s not cowardly to be a whistle blower and risk retaliation, but it is cowardly to hide what you have done because you are too afraid of the results of YOUR actions.

Snitches get stitches? I prefer, can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

77. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 6, 2012 11:12 AM

Pamphilon shouldn’t have released the tape, but the Saints shouldn’t have tried to end the careers of countless fellow NFL players.

78. roseann894 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:16 AM

Not sure if Gleason intended to include, in his legacy to his son, the type of attitude displayed by Gregg Williams. Ironic, isn’t it, that ALS is increasingly being looked as as a result of head injuries?

79. beastup22 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:21 AM

How can anyone argue that this guy did the right thing? The right thing would be to release the tapes to Goodell, or release them the day after the game. Not months down the line after GW was already suspended. Exactly what did he do that helped anyone other than himself?

80. xtutx says: Apr 6, 2012 11:23 AM

All we need here is men to be men from Saints HQ.

Deal with the situation. Stop the lying and pointing fingers and take the results.

With the little more we know today then a couple of days ago, the penalties are in line. Before we weren’t sure and had to take the NFL’s word on it, now there is no doubt.

Saints Job Posting – Looking for real men.

Fan’s of the Saints, it’s time for denial to subside and just get through it. It’s not that large of a penalty. College’s deal with worse for many years and survive.

Remember the 9’ers with no camp, new system, with Alex Smith even, made it to the NFC Champ game. You’ll still have good coaching and players to compete. This isn’t a death penalty.

81. zn0rseman says: Apr 6, 2012 11:25 AM

I’ve seen a high school coach asked just like Greg Williams, and I’m extremely glad that the video of his actions was release, simply because no matter how much a coach wins, I don’t think any parent would want their child playing for such a monster.

As for Williams, the Saints and Sean Payton, they will forever live in infamy. The audio’s release is important and has had a major impact. Anyone who has heard it now realizes the horrible extent of the atrocities committed by the Saints organization. Most of those Saints fans who were vehemently defending that group, are now silent as they should have been from the start.

82. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Apr 6, 2012 11:25 AM

Gregg Williams, Sean Payton, and Joe Vitt betrayed the trust. Not Pamphilon. Not Gleason. Not the whistleblower.

83. bobhk says: Apr 6, 2012 11:28 AM

Gleason can talk all about betrayal but it was pamphilons moral obligation to report what is unethical at the least and criminal at the worst.

84. bigbalz says: Apr 6, 2012 11:28 AM

I find it amazing that some people actually blame this filmaker for releasing this audio. He done what he should have done and let everybody know the level of scumbaggery the Saints and their coaching staff were willing to stoop too. Disgusting group of guys from the top down with that organization. Its fine to play violently in football, but to intentionally injure another player is cowardly and shows that this team would get nowhere without cheating. I hope this organization never recovers from this and they go broke.

85. hooterdawg says: Apr 6, 2012 11:32 AM

Doesn’t every whistleblower betray the the intentions of his employer? Pamphilon witnessed something that his conscience would not allow to remain secret. Would Gleason really suppress this ‘license to injure’ information even as he faces his own mortality? Most people in Gleason’s position are focused upon doing the right thing.

86. johnnyquick says: Apr 6, 2012 11:36 AM

It’s deplorable that a dying man wants to leave with his son a legacy of covering up criminal activity!

87. olcap says: Apr 6, 2012 11:36 AM

Pamphilon SHOULD indeed have released it. There comes a time when one has to make a tough decision – do I do what’s right, or can I live with myself knowing that I could have helped end the egregious, criminal activity in the NFL?

Only a man with ethics and morals and a sense of self worth would do what Pamphilon did. He should be applauded by Goodell himself, but we all know that Goodell is steaming mad over this getting out to the public.

88. scobbalobba says: Apr 6, 2012 11:37 AM

Where I come from in Australia and play the great game of Aussie Rules, if any coach tried to pull what this POS Williams had done, he would be banned for life and there is case precedence for this

89. thehighhat says: Apr 6, 2012 11:37 AM

I pray for Gleason and his family, but that doesn’t change the fact that Williams, Payton, Vitt, and Loomis are scumbags that have tainted our favorite sport. If anything the Saints need to go out of their way to help Gleason even more if they ever hope to be anything other than the Aints or the Taints in the future.

90. delintzman says: Apr 6, 2012 11:40 AM

ok, sorry for your illness, but it doesn’t make YOU the jury on whether these illeagle acts were heard or not. I cannot believe it took this long. How much more do you know about that your not sharing because of fear it will take away from your story? sickening

91. snoopyjoecool says: Apr 6, 2012 11:41 AM

_________

If you believe that then you would need to have ALL the evidence available to everyone to be able to be as informed as the league and Goodell, not just the tidbits given to the media. Obviously things aren’t handled that way. Goodell is looking out for the league which is why the penalties are so harsh.

92. kronix7 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:46 AM

He shouldn’t have released it? He released part of the video that contained Williams telling his players to injure and mame other players purposely to win a football game. You people are complete morons to play the victims card again. How can defend that? You Saints* fans sound ridiculous.

93. mogogo1 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:51 AM

Even if Pamphilon had his own selfish purposes for releasing it, I’m very glad he did. Actually hearing Williams speak really drove home for me how bad this whole thing was. For a long time I’d figured this was some sort of minor side deal going on. I had no idea it was the centerpiece of Williams’ motivational speeches and I had no idea what a brutal, bloodthirsty guy Williams was. And, hearing how open he was about it, the audio completely destroys any chance that Sean Payton didn’t know all about the bounties.

94. snoopyjoecool says: Apr 6, 2012 11:51 AM

———————————————-
    Really? Release it yes. But why to the public and then have a press conference about it? The snitch who started the whole thing didn’t go public, anyone who snitches on their company don’t go public. He went public for his own self-serving interests. Guarantee you will see him take interviews and go on talk shows in the future. That to me is very low ethics and morals.

95. turdfurgerson68 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:51 AM

“Gleason, whose blocked punt during the first game in the Superdome after a hurricane ravaged the city became the turning for the franchise”

“turning point for the franchise”??? Uh, no…

Sorry, that’s simply hyperbole. While Gleason is no doubt a inspirational figure for the Saints and the city, the real “turning point” for the franchise came when the silly dolphins passed on Drew Brees and the Saints wisely snapped him up.

Nice try to put a spin on this situation, but facts are facts.

96. kronix7 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:53 AM

It’s funny how Saints* are offended over somebody releasing part of a video the guilt of the Saints* over the fact that your coaches singled out players to intentionally injure in a football game. This is rich. Idiots!

97. nowillrepeat says: Apr 6, 2012 11:55 AM

As another guy posted, who exactly does this benefit other than Pamphilon? The punishment has already been handed out. In law, this is called double jeopardy. If he was so concerned with “the young children” than he should have gone to Goddell instead of yahoo. That makes it seem like he had a price on those tapes which went to the highest bidder.

He (and maybe his colleagues)will never be let in a nfl locker room again.

98. 1standlong says: Apr 6, 2012 11:55 AM

Lets not forget that Williams is the idiot who said these things with a camera pointed at him. Isn’t it resonable to think that what you say on film is going to be seen and heard by other people at some point?

I wonder if Gleason felt “deflated and disappointed” when he was present to hear Williams encouraging Saints to intentionally injure other players? If not, then his priorities are out of whack.

99. nowillrepeat says: Apr 6, 2012 11:57 AM

———————————
    Right, or a man with dollar signs in his eyes

100. pigskin28 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:58 AM

What Pamphillon did was a total brwach of trust. Anyone who hires a business to entet their home, lives, place of work expects confidentiality and professionalism. Dude could have gone to the owner or Goodell. Putting this stuff out to the Public is self serving at best.

101. lombardihero says: Apr 6, 2012 12:04 PM

I love how all these saints fans are giving every logic comment a thumbs down:) I used to have a lot of respect for New Orleans.

When does the owning up start? After the next time your levy breaks and you need the rest of Americas help again.

102. kodakinvegas says: Apr 6, 2012 12:10 PM

Boy, now the Aints have a bandwagon to play their sad tunes on. This was not Mr p’ private information but it was however evidence of criminal activity. It could easily have been subpoenaed in a court. While I empathize with him sand his family it certainly does not reflect upon him or his family. Most likely would have been edited from any of his career as this was beyond his playing days as a Saint. One would think however, that he, of all people would take issue with direction and intent to do bodily harm.

So now Saint fans will be “using” him for the defense of barbaric, lying, cheating, tacky and UNPROFESSIONAL wannabe fNFL players. Another angle of finger pointing on it’s way rather than humility, responsibility, professionalism and sincere apologies. Oh I forgot,, ” we don’t —-apologize for the way we play”. Pigs

103. starderup says: Apr 6, 2012 12:13 PM

Gleason is/was a member of a team that was run by liars and cheats and he never chose to take the high moral ground until now.
    I pity him. Not for the ALS, but because he is a baghead.
    He can take his sanctimonious posturing and shove it.

104. randomguy9999 says: Apr 6, 2012 12:13 PM

It doesn’t matter if Pamphilon was authorized to release the audio, he was legally released from the non disclosure agreement the moment Williams committed a crime or conspired to do so, both of which occurred on that tape. In fact… legally he was bound to release it. End of story.

Also, Pamphilon did not release anything that was private to Gleason or his intended purpose.

Further, Gleason appears to be saying that he would have been AOK with an ongoing coverup that he was party to. I feel for the guy’s predicament, but that is plain wrong.

So, I’m not sorry that exposing a criminal conspiracy offended Mr. Gleason and I’m disappointed that he would take this as one of his last stands in life…..

105. thesportgenius says: Apr 6, 2012 12:19 PM

So does this mean that Gleason supports the cover up of despicable activities meant to inflict harm on the bread winners of families. Where’s his integrity? Is this the legacy he want to leave his son? Win at all costs even if it means ending someone’s livelihood and getting a bonus payment to inflict the damage? His image is taking a hit now. He would be better served to come correct and say what Williams was doing was wrong and not condone it by assisting the gloss over.

106. mullman7675 says: Apr 6, 2012 12:24 PM

Pamphilon is a blatant self promoter. What the Saints did was horrible- what Pamphilon did was reprehensible. Gleason was betrayed- pure and simple. Unfortunate all around…

107. nowillrepeat says: Apr 6, 2012 12:32 PM

I pity him. Not for the ALS, but because he is a baghead.
    He can take his sanctimonious posturing and shove it.
    ————————–
    Gleason had been retired long before williams got there idiot. Is a member? So a guy with ALS can play in the nfl? He can barely walk. You should do the world a favor and not bread.

Attacking gleason here is flat out wrong and missing the point. He had his trust violated and is angry. Much like many of you feel against the Saints. Dont think it has anything to do with “protecting the saints” more than (what might be) an illegal act of trust.

108. xtutx says: Apr 6, 2012 12:56 PM

If the cameraman is truly wrong the Saints should go after him by legal means. Doesn’t change or cancel out bounty-gate in any way.

109. nineroutsider says: Apr 6, 2012 1:02 PM

I can’t wait until this goes away. I am glad the video came out so that we all know for sure what Williams was about. I promise you that no other defensive coordinator in the league talks about “taking out his outside ACL”. A lot of the other stuff is common I’m sure, much of it was metaphor.

Not sure about the video maker’s motives, but really…who cares? His motives are the Saints and Gleason’s problem. It’s not my problem…the audio is what is and his motivers don’t change it.

110. granadafan says: Apr 6, 2012 1:10 PM

What Gregg Williams said on tape was so rephrensible that it had to be released. A certain segment of the population was wavering on sympathy for Williams and Payton, but this tape should be the nail in the coffin for them.

Not to equate even remotely the two stories, but the power of public sentiment can force major change for those trying to sleazily cover up scandals. I’m reminded of the way Paterno and Penn St stonewalled and threatened local media who were investigating a possible child predator on the loose on campus. The local cops, who were essentially controlled by the Penn St football program, did nothing and Sandusky was allowed to continue his molestation while Paterno turned the other way. It took the power of the national media to expose Penn St for aiding and abeting a child predator and put this guy in jail.

The Saints would have swept Bountygate under the rug if not for the power of media.

111. saints97 says: Apr 6, 2012 1:20 PM

Where’s the video of the Saints attacking someone’s ACL?

It was a pre-game motivational speech.

If a coach shows Braveheart, does that mean he’s encouraging beheadings during the game?

All releasing the audio did was beat a dead horse. The suspensions were not going to be overturned. This did not bring any new evidence. The Saints were already guilty.

All this guy did, as someone else mentioned, was make life harder for people who make their living making documentaries.

Williams is gone. The Saints didn’t ever maim anyone. They screwed up and didn’t listen to the league when the league told them stop. For that, they are rightfully paying a steep penalty. But for those of you morons who think this gave them a competitive advantage, I’d just love to hear how.

112. ernie ernie says: Apr 6, 2012 1:37 PM

Again, another he said he said. First, the photog guy would have to have a copy of everything. Why would Gleason allow the photo guy to have a copy?
    The agreement would have been not copies only one original and I keep it.
    If the photo guy had a copy with instructions to produce the video after he was gone then he violated a no no.
    I thank the photo guy for doing what he did. It was something that needed to be seen and shared.

113. jpb12 says: Apr 6, 2012 2:13 PM

Gleason’s sitting in a wheelchair.
    Maybe due to concussions he suffered in NFL.

Williams has no trouble telling his players to go after the ACL, go after the head, and go after the kid with a concussion.

All things we know he said, cause he confessed. But actually hearing him makes us realize that Greg Williams should never coach again in the NFL.

Pamphelon got the ”first guy”

114. j0esixpack says: Apr 6, 2012 2:24 PM

I think we can all agree – this is all Jeremy Shockey’s fault.

115. makinsense32 says: Apr 6, 2012 2:48 PM

We have no idea whether Gleason is telling the truth. If he was paying for the video as a personal journal, then the content belonged to him.

Otherwise, Pamphilon was doing what he has done before — a documentary. Unless there was a contract giving Gleason editorial control, he has absolutely no right to suppress the filmmaker’s content.

Even if Pamphilon did have such a pact with Gleason, it would have been morally dubious for Gleason to insist on withholding the information.

Florio’s “he betrayed the trust of a dying man” comment is sensational and unsubstantiated. Worse, his whole tone suggests that he is just being petty about another site getting this news. Grow up, dude.

116. besdayz says: Apr 6, 2012 2:50 PM

The part that gives Payton and some other coaches a little bit of a leg to stand is the NFL warned them a week before the playoffs to stop this stuff. And then the Saints supposedly gave this filmmaker permission to record what goes on in defensive meetings. Its hard to believe they would’ve given him permission if they thought GW was doing this stuff still. Coaches are by nature control freaks and wouldn’t want this stuff out if there were any problems. That is at least some small cover.

117. pongonfl says: Apr 6, 2012 2:56 PM

Anyone that can disconnect the hits that Farve took to the pics he through and his inablilty to scramble for 5 yards has some serious self delusional issues.

Williams coaching got them to the superbowl, Paytons coaching won it.

Their superbowl only exists in the context of Willaims coaching.

118. truths4all says: Apr 6, 2012 3:01 PM

Hey Taints fans, quit your crying and your complaining. None of the released audio or the supposed taking advantaged of Gleason’s plight would have matter if your Taints had not willingly crossed the line to become evil bad guys looking to cut short other players’ careers merely to make a few lousy bucks and win games. BTW, in my opinion, the NFL should have taken away your Super Bowl win and declared that your Taints’ evil actions had forced the NFL to forfeit you bogus win. Your stupid Taints continued their evil ways even after they were warned that the NFL was investigating their low-life ways AGAIN. Your Taints had such arrogance that they believed they were above any NFL rules and regs and prohibited practices.

STOP YOUR SNIVELING AND TAKE YOUR PUNISHMENTS! Instead, all we keep getting from crybaby Taints’ fans are weeping and complaining.
    You punk fans are lucky the NFL had not forfeited your bogus Super Bowl title, even though most of us believe the NFL should have done that. I can only hope the NFL will decide to forfeit your bogus Super Bowl and merely place an asterisk that no one won the Super Bowl that year. Now, that would be an appropriate punishment for the evil Taints!

119. ranksarot says: Apr 6, 2012 3:04 PM

How about the Saints coaches, players, fans AND former players stop pointing the finger every which but at themselves? Seems like the Aints want to blame everyone but themselves for their own misdeeds. It’s Pamphilon’s fault. It’s Goodell’s fault. It’s Williams fault. Saints, time to man up. It’s YOUR fault this happened. Stop coming up for excuses and blaming others.

120. ceschatz says: Apr 6, 2012 3:13 PM

Too late now…

121. Nevis says: Apr 6, 2012 3:14 PM

Well, Gleason can thank Williams, Payton and Loomis for his disappointment — this is 100% their doing, not the film maker’s.

122. Nevis says: Apr 6, 2012 3:17 PM

saints97 says:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:20 PM
    Where’s the video of the Saints attacking someone’s ACL?

It was a pre-game motivational speech.

—————————-

So I can talk about raping and killing people as long as there’s no video evidence?

The issue here is INTENT, Mr. Saints fan.

123. silentcount says: Apr 6, 2012 3:18 PM

Steve Gleason’s disease is fatal and he sadly doesn’t have much more of a life to live. Along with this emotional stress as it is, it wasn’t fair to pile on him the added conflict of the video situation. But then, it just goes to show how stupid Williams is to spout off idiotic stuff in front of a camera.

124. macbull says: Apr 6, 2012 4:36 PM

I hope Gleason sues the hell out of Pamphilon for violating the agreement the two of them had concerning the video/audio.

I would not be surprised if Roger Goodell listened to Pamphilon’s audio, long before the public heard it on Thursday.

The public release of this audio by Pamphilon was timed for release the day the Saints were appealing their cases in Roger Goodell’s office.

In a PR move, the NFL wanted Pamphilon to release audio to the public Thursday. The public has heard the recordings and now Goodell can claim he is on solid ground to deny the Saints appeals.

Media access to NFL teams will likely be reduced due to a minimum as it has been proven that the media cannot be trusted.

Pamphilon betrayed the trust of a dying man…that is new low for the media.

125. morgan420 says: Apr 6, 2012 4:54 PM

i sympathise for gleason and his family however that should not stop pamphilon from doing the right thing and turning the video over. i understand gleason trusted him and brought him along with good intentions however pamphilon didnt go in there with the idea of exposing the saints coaching staff of running a bounty program. if they wouldnt have done it, it wouldnt have happened in the first place. bottom line, pamphilon didnt betray a dying man he simply did the right thing by handing over the tape.

126. hillzmickelzon says: Apr 6, 2012 9:44 PM

Lets put a bounty on pamphilon!! How dare he do gleason like this pamphilon is a coward he just wanted to get his name in the news.