Sapp files bankruptcy

137851085_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Well, if former Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey is going to sue Warren Sapp, he’d better get in line with the rest of Sapp’s creditors.

Sapp, a likely future Hall of Famer, has declared bankruptcy in Florida, according to TMZ.com.

He has filed under Chapter 7, which will result in full liquidation of his $6.45 million in assets (including a “Large Nude women painting” . . . it’s unclear whether the painting or the women are large) to pay his $6.7 million in debts.

According to the filing, Sapp owes the IRS more than $900,000, along with hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support.

He lists his current income as $45,000 per month from NFL Network, on a contract that expires in August 2012.  (He also has worked for Showtime’s Inside the NFL.  It’s unknown whether he’ll continue that assignment in 2012.)

Sapp, who spent 12 years in the NFL with the Buccaneers and Raiders, also claims that he has lost his Super Bowl ring.

Permalink 223 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
223 Responses to “Sapp files bankruptcy”
  1. stairwayto7 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:43 PM

Sapp=fired!

2. spellingcopfather says: Apr 6, 2012 5:43 PM

Damn i thought AL over payed him!!!

3. raidadon says: Apr 6, 2012 5:43 PM

Smooth one Burger King

4. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 6, 2012 5:44 PM

Something tells me that Super Bowl ring is going to miraculously show up again after this all blows over.

5. rocketman2010 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:45 PM

$45k a month? Yeah, I think I could budget on that.

6. aldavisisthenfl says: Apr 6, 2012 5:46 PM

what an ignorant turd…..

he should have studied in school rather than smoking dope all day…….finance would have been a better idea Warren…

7. citiciti says: Apr 6, 2012 5:48 PM

What a tool.

8. cup1981 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:48 PM

For some reason, finding out that this guy does not understand how to manage his money doesn’t surprise me lol.

9. sprtly says: Apr 6, 2012 5:48 PM

How does one manage to rack up $6.7m in debt? He’s an adult, he’s not a child or young football player who’s seeing money for the first time. You would think that even if he blew all of his player earning (foolish, but whatever), his $500k per year salary at NFL Network would at least keep him afloat. No way anyone who ever took him seriously continues to do so after this. I wish the man good luck in this battle.

10. lombardihero says: Apr 6, 2012 5:49 PM

45 grand a month plus what else he makes from showtime and he’s filling bankruptcy.

Most working people in the united states makes less than 45 k a year and he can not get organized making 45 k a month. Sad Warren Real Sad Man…

11. help me says: Apr 6, 2012 5:49 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted.

12. rundmc81 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:50 PM

Perfect.. Maybe when Shockey also sues you, it will permanently send you back to the gopher hole you came from. It funny cuz he fat!

13. thegonz13 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:50 PM

Warren, here’s a thought… Instead of casting stones left and right, why don’t you mind your own damn business?

How the hell can he declare bankruptcy with $6.5 mil in assets?

14. blacknole08 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:50 PM

Karma perhaps?

15. tennis22drew says: Apr 6, 2012 5:51 PM

The IRS had his children?

16. medialovesthecowboys says: Apr 6, 2012 5:51 PM

Somewhere Mike Sherman is smiling.

17. prmpft says: Apr 6, 2012 5:51 PM

…he’s morally bankrupt – that’s for sure!

18. blacknole08 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:52 PM

And didn’t Mark Brunell have bigger money troubles? Sapp’s not the first big name athlete to owe the IRS.

19. theslex says: Apr 6, 2012 5:52 PM

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Now here’s hoping NFL Network doesn’t renew his contract.

20. akd1287 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:53 PM

“….also claims that he has lost his Super Bowl ring.” Translation: Pawned for a few dollars to get a quick fix at the Craps table.

21. gb4mn0 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:53 PM

What’s the Vegas line on Crapp ending up in prison before he’s voted into the HOF?

22. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Apr 6, 2012 5:54 PM

I guess this is fitting ’cause he’s morally bankrupt already.

23. bearsstillsuck says: Apr 6, 2012 5:54 PM

It’s hard to feel bad for people in that kind of situation.

24. seidinho says: Apr 6, 2012 5:54 PM

you gotta be kidding me

25. elleclouds says: Apr 6, 2012 5:55 PM

45,000 a month is bankrupt. I wish I were Bankrupt.

26. trojan33sc says: Apr 6, 2012 5:55 PM

That’s some reckless spending by Sapp ! Was he or his accountant reviewing his balance sheet from all that NFL income ?? Sweet !!! Not very responsible for a former millionaire……………

27. danger19 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:55 PM

Amazing

28. truthhurtstoo says: Apr 6, 2012 5:56 PM

what a jerk! typical big mouth U alum….

29. chawk12thman says: Apr 6, 2012 5:56 PM

So smug on T.V. you would have thought he was taking care of his responsibilities, specifically his kids………

Good protection for him against the coming lawsuit though.

30. stampede101 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:56 PM

While unfortunate…I can honestly say that I’m not surprised.

31. drjoemck says: Apr 6, 2012 5:57 PM

Another sad case of mismanaged assets by an athlete. Sad really.

32. pooflingingmonkey says: Apr 6, 2012 5:58 PM

How surprised are we supposed to be that a complete idiot lost all of his money? Cry me a river.

33. whackman says: Apr 6, 2012 5:59 PM

This guy is a disgrace to the NFL… correct that he is a total disgrace…

34. reachers87 says: Apr 6, 2012 5:59 PM

Karma, Warren. Karma. But I’m sure the $45,000 you make a month will surely help pull you out of the dumps.

35. pnthrz1 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:00 PM

Karma, QBKilla’

36. brenenostler says: Apr 6, 2012 6:00 PM

12 seasons in the NFL. That’s a least $100 million right there. How can you lose it all????

37. sb50 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:00 PM

With all the money these guys get over the years, it’s absolutely sickening that they don’t have a single cent left of it.

I can only dream of having the money that Sapp made over the years.

38. autumnwind999 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:01 PM

I know many in here will be taking joy in this news, but assuming it isn’t just one of those millionaire shell games it’s a sad story.

As much as I haven’t liked Sapp from his days in Oakland and petty comments since that time, I wouldn’t wish this on him.

Always sad to me when someone achieves a level of excellence and should be set up for life from it and then either throws it away or has it taken from them. Hopefully he gets this straightened out and is smarter in the future.

39. skinsrock says: Apr 6, 2012 6:01 PM

Ah…. another athlete learning the cost of a dollar… Are 240 pairs of shoes really considered an asset?

40. NoHomeTeam says: Apr 6, 2012 6:01 PM

How . . . just . . . how do these guys wind up like this? Do they not have financial advisers? Do they have inept financial advisers?

I mean, sure, some of these guys are buying 44″ rims for their Bentleys and makin’ it rain, but I’ve got to think the majority of them are at least making some effort toward a financial future while they’re earning NFL dollars.

41. qb19 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:02 PM

April Fools was Sunday.

42. noeffinway says: Apr 6, 2012 6:02 PM

hahahahaha…….livin’ the dream………moron.

43. Maximus Decimus Meridius says: Apr 6, 2012 6:02 PM

Correction…… NOT likely to be a hall of famer. There, thats better.

44. thisisether says: Apr 6, 2012 6:02 PM

Well well well….. 45k a year from nfl network? I thought at least 60…

45. ironhawk says: Apr 6, 2012 6:04 PM

He was only making $45,000? That’s pretty low for a tv salary. Although I guess he wasn’t one of the main people.

46. thcnote says: Apr 6, 2012 6:06 PM

Why not just sue the league. MORON.

47. tomeffnbrady says: Apr 6, 2012 6:06 PM

wow. i’d like to think that if i had the success this guy has had i would do better. but who knows… regardless, what a buffoon.

48. speedkills21 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:07 PM

Folks, is it wrong of me to be so happy about this article??

49. jgagliano1199 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:07 PM

Ha! I love these guys that never learned how to manage money. Guess that’s growing up on the hood for ya……so it goes. My favorites are Shawn Kemp and ‘Toine Walker. I look forward to many more cases of this to come.

50. dkeyser says: Apr 6, 2012 6:09 PM

How does this happen??.. I dont understand how a guy can make MILLIONS and piss it all away ina few years.. $45,000 a month and the dude is broke???? I made less than that last year and have 2 cars that are paid off and my house is paid off as well.. I’m not living the life of luxury, but im pretty much debt free. Live within your means you morons!!

51. itsnotforme says: Apr 6, 2012 6:10 PM

This is really sad. These guys need to hire a financial counselor that can help them with their finances. No way should this guy be broke. I wish I made 45 grand a month……

52. nemesder says: Apr 6, 2012 6:10 PM

I’m surprised he has the integrity to be outspoken on alot of hot topics lately knowing that he was about to file bankruptcy

53. AlohaMrHand says: Apr 6, 2012 6:12 PM

he and Dennis Rodman are broke and ‘”very ill”.

54. rdrs68 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:12 PM

he “lost” his ring?

55. lifeimitatesfootball says: Apr 6, 2012 6:13 PM

After Jeremy Shockey gets in line, Stephen Ross (owner of the Dolphins…I know, he doesn’t need the money), and Jeff Ireland (GM of the Dolphins, who might need it because he has two special needs kids–something Sapp–name is appropriate!–would know nothing about) should line up right after Ross…clearly, Sapp slandered both of them with his “Players hate Ross and Ireland” BS. So Rickey Williams hates the guy who let him and his family use his house while he played for the Ravens?

God just might be doing a little kharma on Sapp for those comments!

56. neauxgeaux44 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:14 PM

He makes more in a month than you bottom feeder posters do annually…

57. wozzmann1955 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:15 PM

They should send that Fat Monkey to Mars,,what a idiot,,thers another guy who intentionaly hurt people

58. sschmiggles says: Apr 6, 2012 6:17 PM

I always wondered how much these “analysts” made. $45,000 a month?

Way to screw up a sweet gig.

59. tiverson24 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:19 PM

We all knew that he was an idiot, this doesn’t come as a shocker.

60. pedrovillegas21 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:19 PM

Maybe he can hit up fellow “The U” alum Jeremy Shockey for a loan

61. mp42245 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:19 PM

Dez Bryant will probably be filing before his current contract is done.

62. ChrisCicc says: Apr 6, 2012 6:19 PM

There’s more to this story. At that debt to asset ratio, he shouldn’t need to file bankruptcy at all, never mind Chapter 7.

63. nice2meetumarco says: Apr 6, 2012 6:20 PM

No surprise he’s bankrupt, $45K/month probably can’t even cover his grocery bill.

64. dynastydriven says: Apr 6, 2012 6:21 PM

You know what they say… Good things happen to good people. Sapp is just an absolute piece of garbage. I hope the phony gets fired too.

65. bchapman2011 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:21 PM

This makes my day…..Sapp is so busy chucking Shockey under the bus and talking like a big man about Greg Williams yet he can’t even manage his own checkbook. What a bum. Hey Warren worry about your own affairs before you go putting your nose in others business.

66. mac3333 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:21 PM

I’ll hire him to manage my finances!!

67. mullman7675 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:22 PM

Delta Bravo

68. wrathofgodzilla says: Apr 6, 2012 6:22 PM

How much of that did he spend on “friends” and family who love to hang out with big money types?

69. xx4zu1 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:25 PM

This is the sad reality of the sport we love. You take kids turn em into millionaires and they think the money will never dry up. It’s almost the same a people that win the lottery and are broke 5 years later. Instead of living a comfortable life and living well they shoot for extravagance and when the mutli-million dollar salaries dry up they can no longer afford to pay taxes on the properties they owe sad but true. Hey Florio wonder if they are gonna claim you are making fun of Sapp because he has a learning disability.

70. stonecld33 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:26 PM

Brees wants answers!

71. stonecld33 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:27 PM

Who snitched about his bankruptcy?

72. gorilladik81 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:27 PM

What a jerkoff, I almost threw up from laughing so hard at this story.

73. wet4football says: Apr 6, 2012 6:27 PM

suddenly I don’t feel so bad about my $28,000 a year and no debt.

74. frankiemontana says: Apr 6, 2012 6:28 PM

Really Sapp is getting 45k a month???
    Only in America..Schockey put your name on the creditors list Sapp’s got that money hidden somewhere I would say that he is stupid but that would be the folks @ nflnw for paying him 45k a month,45k a month really for Sapp??

75. firstpitchslam says: Apr 6, 2012 6:29 PM

$45K/mo and he’s behind in child payments? What does that say about him? That plus his bountygate gaffe plus his contract about up…………………. Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for you.

76. axltcu says: Apr 6, 2012 6:30 PM

He should do the 3rd season of BBQ Pitmasters for a little extra cash.

77. laxcoach37 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:31 PM

“nobody wants to play for Miami” he said. I bet he would if he could still play. Good Football Player, but a real scumbag Citizen ( doesn’t pay his fair share of Taxes), poor Father (didn’t pay Child Support) and all around Idiot. It’s not like he doesn’t have a current income! I do feel bad for some former Players. They had no financial guidance and are broke now. This over-opinionated moron continues to spend on luxuries while trying to stick us Tax-Payers with his Bill. I hope he suffers some inconvenience.

78. mlandsjr says: Apr 6, 2012 6:32 PM

People…its not 45k total….its per month. Multiply it by 12. He’s getting paid well.

79. EJ says: Apr 6, 2012 6:32 PM

$45,000/mo and he is claiming bankruptcy? Do you know how well I could live off of his paycheck? I could still be investing most of it, all the while being able to buy whatever my family needs and wants. Hell, I would be able to have my woman go into Coach once a month to get herself a new purse. I can tell you one thing, Bankruptcy wouldn’t be in my future with that paycheck.

80. aldavisisthenfl says: Apr 6, 2012 6:33 PM

Hey Sapp, Chad Clifton is looking for a new gardener/pool boy……….

81. johnnyquick says: Apr 6, 2012 6:39 PM

Sapp’s bankruptcy filing cannot wipe out a Shockey lawsuit that had not been file.

After a bankruptcy filing, you pay off your debts, start fresh and can be sued.

82. tunescribe says: Apr 6, 2012 6:40 PM

How in the world — no, how IN ALL OF CREATION — is that bug-eyed toad worth $45k A MONTH to the NFL Network???!!! Yes, friends, the Apocalypse is near.

83. jayquintana says: Apr 6, 2012 6:45 PM

Dear Warren,

How do you like me now?

Kisses,
    Chad Clifton

84. raiderrob21 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:45 PM

Strictly a tactical move to avoid paying child support. What a TOOL! Once a Raider, always a Raider, UNTIL you speak bad about the Raiders. Which you did Fatboy. The Raider Nation DOES NOT have your back. You are dead to us. F U Sapp! Take care of your kids loser!

RAIDER NATION!!!

85. staffordsyear says: Apr 6, 2012 6:45 PM

Yes sapp may be a future hof player but at least i can say that im better at handling my financial responsibilitys.

86. bangitfootball says: Apr 6, 2012 6:50 PM

I dont know whats crazier , that this moron blew millions of dollars or that NFL network pays him 45,000 a month for the opinion of a 12 year old.

87. SOBEIT says: Apr 6, 2012 6:52 PM

I bet he would like to earn some bounty money now. What a sapp. Where can he earn some money…DWTS, Broke Bachelor…that would actually be a funny show, Survivor…at least he would lose all that fat.

88. deathtoromo says: Apr 6, 2012 6:53 PM

I’m sure child support broke him. Apparently the courts think he will make millions a year for the rest of his life. Its fkd up. That bein said, he could become a snitch for Goodell and Mara and they can cut him in on the cap penalties.

89. terryleather says: Apr 6, 2012 6:54 PM

And we’re supposed to feel bad for former players saying they don’t get a big enough pension?

I picture him losing his ring the way that guy did to the Rock in the begining of “The Rundown”.

90. sean6886 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:55 PM

The problem is these guys go from making no money to making lots of money and rather than living below their means, they either live at their means (meaning paycheck to paycheck) or well above their means. Eventually, you don’t get the big contracts anymore and you have a pension which means having a budget-but a lot of these guys don’t know how not to spend money.
    $45,000 a year and you cannot pay your debt. Why not get a payment plan going and work with a financial planner so you don’t get into this situation again?.
    I even read somewhere yesterday that OJ Simpson gets an NFL pension of $25,000/month. That’s still a heck of a lot of money-apparently his Daughter is spending it for him while he’s in prison.

91. bedabear says: Apr 6, 2012 6:57 PM

Only thing that would make me any happier is that if the NFLN and Showtime doesn’t renew his contract. The most overrated player in NFL history!

92. garryjercia says: Apr 6, 2012 6:57 PM

I can’t say I feel bad for him.

93. ghjjf says: Apr 6, 2012 6:59 PM

Should rename his twitter tag from qbkilla to moneykilla!

94. der6495 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:59 PM

I’m outta cash, homie!

95. shawnc16 says: Apr 6, 2012 6:59 PM

akd1287 says:Apr 6, 2012 5:53 PM

—————————————————-

No, I’m sure he still has the ring, he doesn’t want to lose it in liquidation so he claims he lost it and like,

thankheavenfornumberseven said,

it’ll turn up later after this whole mess is over.

96. jpb12 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:00 PM

He gets paid $45k/mth… for his expertise.

97. fuaholes says: Apr 6, 2012 7:00 PM

What a POS. This guy is as obnoxious as they come. DB.

98. trollaikman8 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:04 PM

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Pay your child support, dead beat. Also, spit the chewing tobacco out before you’re on a live mic. This guy makes Michael Irvin sound like Richard Dawkins.

99. kerc1986 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:05 PM

Not surprised at all, but with 45k a month, come on u gota have some sense on how to spend your money, I remember I saw him when superbowl was in miami colts vs saints n he was on a nice old skool ride, kind of late but he better start thinking about his future, so sad that a lot of us will never make that kind of money on our life, n they wasted it like crazy.

100. shinnbone says: Apr 6, 2012 7:06 PM

“A likely future Hall Of Famer” Really? why are they that desperate? He was just another BIG mouth player who the media pumped up as being a force. Average at best.

101. shinnbone says: Apr 6, 2012 7:07 PM

The ring will be found with the missing Maryland lotto ticket.

102. kodakinvegas says: Apr 6, 2012 7:09 PM

Don’t laugh, there’s beenbigger and better than him, Trump for one. The child support deal is probably a ball buster but he played, he should pay. I raised mine by myself, no support at all. Not defending him AT ALL. promise. But that kinda money it’s HARD TO BELIEVE.
    ( career Wise). Can’t even imagine what you would spend that kinds money on. I was always told that if you want to be rich, spend LESS than you MAKE for a LONG TIME. tried but haven’t made it yet. I could sure get a jump start though with 45K per month. Wow, can’t even imagine. Let alone his player deals. Geez. Makes me feel poor just thinking about it.

103. svrnblk says: Apr 6, 2012 7:10 PM

Please don’t show him in Raider gear…He was never a Raider. He stole Al Davis’ money, underachieved, then lies on TV.

104. usuallysneeringatyou says: Apr 6, 2012 7:12 PM

I’ll bet Sapp was one of the first in line to condemn “the system” when people’s mortgages were blowing up their lives.
    Now he’s the first in line (as measured by his $345K debt when compared to his $540K income) to love him some “system” and take shelter in it.
    Gotta love types like Sapp and lawyers.
    Well you know what?
    Guys in Afghanistan are nonetheless willingly fighting for his right be this worm.
    Takes all kinds to be a community, right?

105. yahmule says: Apr 6, 2012 7:13 PM

Anyone remotely surprised?

106. heyzeus143 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:24 PM

too old, too slow, broke and it’s over

107. leftcoastnative says: Apr 6, 2012 7:25 PM

What a joke! I guess Drew Rosenhaus got his %, and now the fat Sapp is ducking his share of support for the kids. What a dirtbag!

108. jlb10 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:25 PM

he probably ate the money

109. shlort says: Apr 6, 2012 7:35 PM

Not reported in this article, Michael Irvin puked when he heard the news.

110. saintsly says: Apr 6, 2012 7:35 PM

Now that he’s broke, he will sign up for the concussion law suits so he can get his due outta that. Broke ex-players= Law suits

111. Punk says: Apr 6, 2012 7:39 PM

Hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support?!

you are behind by hundreds of thousands of dollars?!

dude, you just became irrelevant in my mind. You can’t support your kids… shut the hell up, you have nothing to say I want to hear.

112. billobrienschindimple says: Apr 6, 2012 7:39 PM

Sapp’s income is old, slow and over.

113. jason1214 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:40 PM

Hmmm another athlete who has made MILLIONS playing a game, turns up broke……SHOCKING

114. shempnet says: Apr 6, 2012 7:43 PM

Turd X 10 15th power

115. damaddhatter29 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:43 PM

Impressive, he now makes 42k more a month than the average US soldier makes. Maybe he should televise from Afghanistan where it would be tax free.

116. steeltown82 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:45 PM

He’s old, he’s slow…he’s bankrupt!

117. acetw says: Apr 6, 2012 7:45 PM

ps – “This is the most heinous, egregious thing in history of this game.”

118. tatum064 says: Apr 6, 2012 7:47 PM

Couldnt happen to a more deserving guy. He ran the Raiders under the bus, ran his mouth and is universally disliked by a number of former players.

Unfortunately, he has the goofy personality so he still is on NFL Network and Inside the NFL..so were stuck with seeing him.

119. yojoemama says: Apr 6, 2012 7:56 PM

Yeah right he lost his ring. He doesn’t want the creditors to sell it haha. Another broke fool.

120. randygnyc says: Apr 6, 2012 7:57 PM

This is what happens when you give a simian cash.

121. yojoemama says: Apr 6, 2012 7:57 PM

NFL has great daily entertainment. No need to check out any gossip sites. Just check out this site. Always good for some laughs.

122. beedubyatoo says: Apr 6, 2012 7:58 PM

truthhurtstoo says:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:56 PM
    what a jerk! typical big mouth U alum….

——————————–
    Along with Michael Irvin.

123. bluntsmokinskinsfan says: Apr 6, 2012 7:59 PM

I make 40k a year and survive just fine. I’m not driving a Bentley but I also don’t drive a bucket. My house is normal. These guys are idiots squandering cash on dumb stuff they don’t need.

124. charlutes says: Apr 6, 2012 8:00 PM

I wish I made 40k a month. what a clown.

125. thecrazyasianinseccountry says: Apr 6, 2012 8:03 PM

It is so sad and pathetic what I’ve just read. How pathetic can you be that it takes another person’s misfortune to truly make you happier.
    When I’ve first read about AI’s financial problems, I believed it was the same people that got out and celebrated AI’s situation.
    Absolutely pathetic !!!
    And as for EJ’s comment on how with 45k he would have enough money to pay his bills, his family’s bills and some money left over, after investing, for his girl to buy a new Coach purse every month.
    That’s exactly how most people becomes broke. They didn’t spend it, it was other people who spent it for them.

126. bleedgreen11 says: Apr 6, 2012 8:15 PM

bankruptcy is such a joke. 45 grand a month, I mean cmon….

127. jpietrefesa says: Apr 6, 2012 8:27 PM

And this is the guy who loves to sit back and take shots at everyone else because he’s really a great person himself.

128. toosharp23 says: Apr 6, 2012 8:34 PM

This is another sad case of who really gives a F**K
    Are we suppose to care that any athlete who makes more money than probably all of us commenting is bankrupt.. They don’t care about us.
    Ever notice every time an athlete signs with a team it was his favorite team growing up..

129. bozosforall says: Apr 6, 2012 8:34 PM

The bankruptcy judge should throw his case out of court.

130. mauicat1 says: Apr 6, 2012 8:36 PM

On his Florida license plate it says “QB KILLA”. I guess now he can make it “DEBT KILLA”.

131. nuclearwarfare says: Apr 6, 2012 8:41 PM

Warren Sapp should only be shown in Bucs gear from now on. Raiders fans every where want to forget that he stole money from the franchise and failed to live up to his own hype.

132. mrrayda says: Apr 6, 2012 8:41 PM

Well he can bet his last dollar (pun intended) he won’t get any help from Raider Nation! Eff Sapp!

133. backtothebowl says: Apr 6, 2012 8:47 PM

He could probably still strap it up with T.O. in Podunk, TX. What a Sap!

134. conormacleod says: Apr 6, 2012 8:53 PM

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son!

135. jacobslatter says: Apr 6, 2012 8:54 PM

Ha HA! I’m in better financial shape than that pogo stick jumping, touchdown scoring against the Falcons smart mouth punk. My dinner with mac & cheese with special guest star sliced hot dog weenies taste even better.

136. torturedraiderfan says: Apr 6, 2012 8:57 PM

No one feels bad for this fat POS. I’m still shocked that this ignorant a-hole is on TV.

137. tonyromoisterrible says: Apr 6, 2012 8:58 PM

He is so awesome. Points the finger everywhere so no one knows how terribly stupid and irresponsible he is. Congrats Warren! You have shown everyone your stripes.

138. vikingdoode says: Apr 6, 2012 9:08 PM

QBKILLA GOT RENT

139. spfripp says: Apr 6, 2012 9:10 PM

I would love 45k a month for doing nothing but talking smack about people.

140. backindasaddle says: Apr 6, 2012 9:10 PM

I guess what it all boils down to…….. he’s just a jerk.

141. joetoronto says: Apr 6, 2012 9:11 PM

The ultimate turd, the deadbeat turd of all turds.

Screw you and the horse you rode in on, Sapp.

142. b00rad says: Apr 6, 2012 9:21 PM

LOL, I wonder how much he paid for the “Large Nude Woman Painting”

143. pftfanatic says: Apr 6, 2012 9:22 PM

mauicat1 says:

Apr 6, 2012 8:36 PM

__________________

Actually, he doesn’t know how to kill debt. More like “Asset Killa.”

144. 35longmiles says: Apr 6, 2012 9:24 PM

Im sure The []_[] “Family” will rally around him and all will be alright. Yeahhhh riiiiight. Just another in a long line of morally bankrupt Miami losers.

145. CKL says: Apr 6, 2012 9:25 PM

It’s way, way, way too easy to shirk your financial responsibilities these days when a person who has 45 k per month in income can stiff his children (disgusting) and screw his creditors (ditto). How the bleep can someone with that level of income have the NERVE to file bankruptcy? Shameless loser. And I am sure his kids are old enough now to know what a dirtbag daddy is, that’s the biggest tragedy.

146. huejackson says: Apr 6, 2012 9:29 PM

Hall of famer? This guy is the most over rated guys in NFL history.. This guy is a complete loser gorilla mush mouth, he also cheated on his wife with several girls…
    I cant even watch NFL network when this guy is on.
    Why does NFL Network put guys on TV who can barley speak?
    Irvin, Sapp but the worst of the worst is Shannon Sharpe.. I seriously have no idea what that horse face says

147. reporterofthetruth says: Apr 6, 2012 9:37 PM

Sapp is a tool.

148. davidhuber10 says: Apr 6, 2012 9:37 PM

I though NFL retired players get a nfl pension. They said when oj was not in prison he was broke but was still getting 60k a mouth.

149. Herb Deluxe says: Apr 6, 2012 9:39 PM

PUT A JERSEY ON! PUT A JERSEY ON!

150. waynefontes says: Apr 6, 2012 9:40 PM

A fool and his money are soon parted.

151. jlv3gem says: Apr 6, 2012 9:48 PM

Lol I have more money than warren sapp And I have no money

152. curtainclosed says: Apr 6, 2012 9:51 PM

Old, slow, and broke.

153. lrt79 says: Apr 6, 2012 9:53 PM

$45,000 a month to bloviate on television once or twice a week? That’s ridiculous.

154. chargrz says: Apr 6, 2012 9:57 PM

Looks like he might have to sell his Boogie-Board!

155. bleed4philly says: Apr 6, 2012 10:17 PM

pride goes before the fall

156. mjkelly77 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:21 PM

The real question is did he make it beyond five years after retirement before he filed? Must be close.

157. steelerrc says: Apr 6, 2012 10:23 PM

He’s “old and broke”!!!

158. markpackman says: Apr 6, 2012 10:23 PM

WOW! a Killa whale on a surf board!

159. mdc21787 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:30 PM

warren sapp has always been outspoken and controversial. but he was a beast of a DT and at least he keeps it real…

i have no affiliation with him or any of his past teams but i always like the fact that he liked pissing people off. he’s a man just like the rest of us and going bankrupt aint no joke and you can only at least root for him to make it through ok so you can keep hating him. he’s fun to hate.

160. gator2006 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:36 PM

Pic=> Sapp is “underwater”?

161. matthewcarlson1 says: Apr 6, 2012 10:58 PM

HAHAHA what a chump! I don’t trust the opinions of someone who can’t even manage their own money. He thinks he’s so smart… apparently he’s not.

162. silentcount says: Apr 6, 2012 11:07 PM

It just goes to show the wasteful spending going on in TV if a guy like Sapp get’s paid $45,000 a month to spout off his idiotic beligerant thoughts. Goodell should be ashamed of himself for hiring a guy who intentionally hurt players in his career and is now hurting our hears.

163. cbblitz21 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:09 PM

Un…flippin real. Not only are you blessed with extreme raw talent to play at a high level in the NFL, but you trip into a great (and I would say undeserving deal) deal with the NFL Network.
    What I wouldn’t give to have 1 year of your NFL salary to put my kids through school and make improvements to my everyday life. I hope you figure it out….but based on your history I am guessing you won’t.

164. billsfan1 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:17 PM

does any of this shock us anymore…im actually more shocked when i hear of a player who isnt in any financial trouble, like Mark Brunnell- oh wait…
    seriously though, are there many out there?

165. acloch says: Apr 6, 2012 11:42 PM

Looks like Sonya will be bringing the third and long draw on someone new.

166. sooner712 says: Apr 6, 2012 11:45 PM

People don’t confuse bankruptcy for the lack of cash? The bulk of his money is overseas, if the judge grants this they will take assets, property to pay off debts. If Shockey sues him no money to take…..

167. dobreshunka says: Apr 6, 2012 11:53 PM

Overrated & underfunded.

HOF? For self promotion, and that’s about it.

168. mcjon22 says: Apr 7, 2012 12:01 AM

Wow, sure am glad he put that education he received from ‘Da U’ to good use. LOL at this clown or anyone for that matter who has made over $40 million professionally, still makes $45,000 a month, yet has to file for bankruptcy.

169. bigdad10359 says: Apr 7, 2012 12:20 AM

I don’t think everyone should be too hard on Sapp. I only make 65K per month and it’s a bitch.

170. nelly837 says: Apr 7, 2012 12:22 AM

Fat, dumb, and broke is no way to go through life son!

171. voyager6 says: Apr 7, 2012 12:22 AM

Has he been retired five years yet? That is when his NFL retirement pay should kick in. It should probably equal his $45K/month income.

Also, if he had packed a few million away in investments, he should be getting at least that much in income each month for life.

Obviously, he and whatever entourage he had, burned up all his money.

172. ruthlssjag says: Apr 7, 2012 12:28 AM

Whats truly sad is we, the fans, hear the stories & make it seem like we wouldn’t “make it rain” & spoil ourselves rotten if we had money like this clown. I guarantee the majority of fans bashing would be in a similar situation. Its easy to sit back as a fan & say “he should’ve done this or that, where is his financial advisor, blah blah..”
    GREED is an addiction, point blank!
    *I hope you guys figured this out (at least) by last years lockout & how that ALL played out.

PS to the NFL:
    Financial Advisers should be a required hire for EVERY player in the league. I know a player isn’t forced to have an agent per say, but most, if not all of them still hire anyway. More emphasis should be applied for the adviser’s, just sayin.

173. manofaiki says: Apr 7, 2012 12:32 AM

According to THIS website,

Which doesn’t have every year of Sapp’s career listed (8 out of 12 years in NFL), he made well over $40 million dollars in those 8 years in just base salary. He made almost $10 million more in signing bonuses, for a total of $50 million for those 8 years.

Even if the gov’t took 50% in taxes, he still cleared $25 million bucks in 8 years. How hard do you have to work at it to blow through $31,000,000, which is what he would have to do to end up $6.7 mil. in debt?

174. sportmentary says: Apr 7, 2012 12:43 AM

He’s as bad at finances as he is at being an NFL Network personality! Sapp’s stock is a fallin!

175. jcioffi1485 says: Apr 7, 2012 12:58 AM

This is what happens to guys like this who knock out a Wonderlic score of 4

176. briwis7 says: Apr 7, 2012 1:11 AM

I (We) feel horrible. Dick!!!

177. croghan1919 says: Apr 7, 2012 1:17 AM

thegonz13 says:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:50 PM
    How the hell can he declare bankruptcy with $6.5 mil in assets?

_______________________________

I’m not an accountant, far from it, but it is my pea brained understanding that if the subtrahend (Liabilities)
    is subtracted from the minuend (Assets) and the DIFFERENCE is a negative number you might be bankrupt.

178. hedleykow says: Apr 7, 2012 2:56 AM

If only someone would have given him the phone number to Bling Anonymous before it came to this!

179. ruggerlad says: Apr 7, 2012 3:19 AM

Thisis complete BS when rich people file for bankruptcy. This a55 has made millions, more than I will make in a lifetime as a teacher and he can fle for bankruptcy, hey I don;t want to pay of my student loans but I can’t file for bankruptcy. Tell this rich morons too bad the tax payers are not picking up a millionaires tab.

180. realitycheck21 says: Apr 7, 2012 3:57 AM

I used to like him but eventually I grew tired of his antics. His financial problems don’t come as a real surprise. Big mouth bullies are usually full of s#!% and always trying to hustle someone. Karma is a bitc# and he got what he deserved. He’s a legend in his own mind and doesn’t belong in the HOF. Are you f-ing kidding me?

181. Joethemightyone says: Apr 7, 2012 4:05 AM

I hate Warren Sapp.

Just ‘cus you loud, don’t make you right!

182. eaglesw00t says: Apr 7, 2012 7:29 AM

Couldn’t happen to a better person. I couldn’t be happier for that scumbag

183. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:37 AM

I’ll buy the large picture of the naked lady off of you “big worm” for 20 bucks!!!

184. kegpack says: Apr 7, 2012 7:53 AM

What does the pic of the walrus have to do with this story?

185. texaswriter2011 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:57 AM

He’s an idiot who has tried to bully his way through life. If he was half as smart as he thinks he is, he wouldn’t be bankrupt. I wonder who he’s going to blame for this mess? How could NFL.com hire such a jerk?

186. seanb20124 says: Apr 7, 2012 8:05 AM

Missing rings sound like future bankruptcy fraud case

187. tigerlilac says: Apr 7, 2012 8:21 AM

He’s smart enough to live in Florida, a state with a generous Homestead law (got to love those politicians) that allows wealthy individuals to protect the equity in their home in bankruptcy. Interesting that the links did not provide any detailed information on what assets Sapp will protect under the Homstead law.

Everyone that posted slamming Sapp should look in the mirror at the true saps, the average guy that keeps voting Republican (Dems not much better) thinking they look out for their interest. I pay $25K a year for health insurance, it just cost $300K to send my first child to a private college, and I have no pension. Fortunately, I have done well and have assets. Most guys don’t. If I lived in France or Austrailia much of health care, college, and pension costs would be covered in return for working for a living. Keep identifying with the haves by calling that socialism boys when the truth is that most of you are playing the sap while the elites and their stooges like Sapp get taken cared of for life.

188. rajbais says: Apr 7, 2012 8:21 AM

Queen Latifah looks better in Sapp’s surfing gear!!!!

Plus, you know how Warren keeps laughing at crap that isn’t funny???

Well, we can now laugh at something that is!!!!!

189. grpatriot says: Apr 7, 2012 8:22 AM

Look for work as a Weatherman…They don’t get it right, yet they get paid! Perfect job for Sapp!
    NFLN paying him 45K a month? The last time he says something smart was the 1st time!

190. gpclaw says: Apr 7, 2012 8:22 AM

“According to the filing, Sapp owes… hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support.”

“He lists his current income as $45,000 per month from NFL Network”

What a piece of crap. I know $540K/year isn’t NFL money, but it should still be enough to allow Sapp to live comfortably, and fulfill his responsibilities as far as his kid is concerned. Again, what a piece of crap.

191. keirster says: Apr 7, 2012 8:25 AM

All you Troll’s wouldn’t even be able to handle the money

192. rugdog100 says: Apr 7, 2012 8:39 AM

WTF?! I just can’t understand how this happens to these guys… never will, I guess.

193. melikefootball says: Apr 7, 2012 8:40 AM

Sapp claims a lot of things….some aren’t so true. He won’t be laughing so hard now, when as he has done to others, making jokes on his behalf will start.

194. georgeremus says: Apr 7, 2012 8:56 AM

The NFL Network or everyone that pays a cable bill pays this on air talent $540,000 a year…..priceless…….

195. richc111 says: Apr 7, 2012 9:09 AM

I’ll give him $10 to shut up. Maybe that will help him with his problems

196. charger383 says: Apr 7, 2012 9:13 AM

I don’t feel sorry for him

197. djcologne says: Apr 7, 2012 9:16 AM

What I want to know is who is going to spot Sapp first on a People of Walmart reel as he shops for a Faded Glory wardrobe….

198. smokim says: Apr 7, 2012 9:17 AM

It’s Shamu!

199. mmcdan133 says: Apr 7, 2012 9:39 AM

I’m sure we’ll hear all about how the hits to his head damaged his brain and made him unable to manage his money properly.

200. gpete1962 says: Apr 7, 2012 9:46 AM

WHAT A SAPP !!!!!!!

201. raidernut says: Apr 7, 2012 9:47 AM

Karma’s a bitch!!! HAHAHA!!!

202. ero727 says: Apr 7, 2012 9:47 AM

now this story is truly the definition of “GOOD FRIDAY”

203. glac1 says: Apr 7, 2012 10:08 AM

and what was his salary…. and how much did he make during his career??????????? It’s hard to pity people like this.

204. toolkien says: Apr 7, 2012 10:38 AM

Is Sapp one of these “one too many bottles of Cristal” bankrupts, or “invested his money in commercial real estate which continues to go t!ts up” bankrupts? Brunell lost his money in real estate. I wonder how Sapp lost his.

Chad Clifton should send him a note saying he’d have considered loaning him a few bucks if he’d gotten a phone call after the hit.

205. metrocritical says: Apr 7, 2012 10:42 AM

Haters step back. This story is just another example of how the system is designed to bring down a successful athlete. With the money Sapp has spent on health club fees, Jenny Craig fees, raising his children, educating his children, maintaining a tasteful professional wardrobe, diction lessons and working with therapists to boost his self esteem, how could he be expected to have to answer to the IRS, banks or other creditors? The man is just trying to be a role model and the nasty system is always nipping at his heels.

206. zone44blitz says: Apr 7, 2012 10:59 AM

He must’ve really been banking on winning the Mega-Millions…

207. gripless says: Apr 7, 2012 11:11 AM

I’m in the convenience store business, we could hire Warren to cover a third shift if he promises not to eat the merchandise

208. sfolas says: Apr 7, 2012 11:18 AM

Lets face it the guy is an idiot. Problem is bankruptcy judges…take everything and make him live on $2k a month, give the rest to his kids and people he owes, this would be 43K a month.

If his rings show up, through him in Jail for being a fraud and being stupid.

Also, lets tell the networks to stop hiring these jerks. If they are on TV, switch to a different channel!

209. metrocritical says: Apr 7, 2012 12:36 PM

Side note to Mike: As I recall from my studies, back in the day, torts such as slander are not dischargeable so Jeremy may be garnishing Shockey’s ample network paychecks.

210. vader7176 says: Apr 7, 2012 1:21 PM

Glad to see the NFL “analyst” was smart enough to mis-analyze his finances. You know that the intellectual ability to analyze something is indicative of one of the highest in learning. For the NFL network to call Warren an analyst is insulting to all football fans.

211. thesportgenius says: Apr 7, 2012 1:25 PM

Surfers around the world are cringing at the pic of that fat turd on his knees wearing Raider board shorts. It just proves that not only is he stupid but a kook as well. Stand up you clown! Real men don’t do anything on their knees.

212. essentialsausage says: Apr 7, 2012 3:11 PM

Anyone who has heard Sapp’s attempts at speaking should not be surprised that he is too dumb to manage his money.

213. deebo92 says: Apr 7, 2012 4:42 PM

The eye in the sky don’t lie Warren

214. melikefootball says: Apr 7, 2012 9:54 PM

How does anyone making and made what Sapp has put himelf in this spot??? But in this case who really cares.

215. cheers4ablumpkin says: Apr 8, 2012 12:19 AM

Sapp should make a return to the nfl and play for the ravens. But how is he bankrupt? He works for nfl network

216. shaggytoodle says: Apr 8, 2012 6:27 AM

He would have paintings of large naked women.

217. jkb0162 says: Apr 8, 2012 11:54 AM

This is understandable. Not only the giant “Nude Woman Painting.” But what about those “S” shaped hedges and the red billiard room with the giant stuffed camel? I say well played sir!

218. gavriloprincip33 says: Apr 9, 2012 12:39 PM

neauxgeaux44 says:
    Apr 6, 2012 6:14 PM
    He makes more in a month than you bottom feeder posters do annually…

————–

For the sake of discussion, I will agree with your premise…Here is what matters, we aren’t all filing bankruptcy on our crappy salaries so who has the problem – us or Fatboy?

219. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Apr 9, 2012 2:39 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:Apr 6, 2012 5:44 PM

————

Too bad he didn’t spend his career with the vikes. Then he wouldn’t have to worry about hiding his Super Bowl ring…

220. JohnnyTwoTimes says says: Apr 10, 2012 2:37 PM

Shockey should tweet about this!!!

Like he did about Amani Toomer and his wife!!!

221. djjasonpaul says: Apr 11, 2012 12:00 AM

Sapp is smart, he’s got a ton of money stashed away and running up debt and filing bankrupt while shockmynuts tries to sue him is genius..

222. bigdaddyutl says: Apr 13, 2012 12:11 PM

KARMA

223. originalsteelcurtain says: Aug 7, 2012 11:30 AM

The Miami Mouth.

How did he ever land an NFL analyst gig?

Good player, total joke as NFL analyst.

I won’t miss seeing his ugly mug on TV.