Brandon Jacobs eyeballs goal-line duties in San Fran

132699763_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Cut last month by the Giants, running back Brandon Jacobs officially has joined the 49ers, via a one-year, $2 million contract, which re-confirms that young players would be better off learning how to kick the ball than to run with it.

Jacobs met the San Fran media via conference call for the first time on Friday.  While he tried his best to say all the right things, he slipped on at least one occasion.

Asked whether starter Frank Gore or Jacobs should get the ball at the goal line, Jacobs said (via the Bay Area News Group), “Well, being 25 or 35 pounds heavier than Frank, I’d hope I’ll be the one to get it.”

Jacobs then caught himself.

“But Frank has done great in that area the last seven years,” Jacobs said.  “We came into the league the same year.  He’s done great.  He has no issue getting in.  It’s whatever is best for the team.”

Jacobs also said that he grew up in Louisiana as a 49ers fan.  “One, I never did like the Saints, [and] never did like Dallas,” Jacobs said.  “The 49ers, when I chose them as my team, I barely knew anything about football. I was only eight years old and only liked their uniforms.  That’s what drew me to the 49ers.  And I stuck with them.”

Whether the 49ers stick with Jacobs depends on how well he performs.  If he should slip past No. 2 on the depth chart in training camp, he may not make the final 53-man roster — unless he’s willing to play special teams.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs eyeballs goal-line duties in San Fran”
  1. cmb79 says: Apr 7, 2012 6:16 PM

Oh, so NOW he wants to produce in short-yardage.

2. doe22us says: Apr 7, 2012 6:17 PM

Yeah right, probably the only team that offered him a contract. Go on suck up.

3. juliuspeppersandonions says: Apr 7, 2012 6:22 PM

Hey Brandon.. Gore can actually score at the goal line instead getting stuffed for a loss like you do. 260lbs of dog manure.

4. jacobslatter says: Apr 7, 2012 6:26 PM

Don’t understand the end of that first sentence should kiddies ply their trade on the soccer field for David Beckham like success in a mega popular world wide sport ‘cos there are so few punter/kicker jobs available.

5. jason49er says: Apr 7, 2012 6:26 PM

$2M counting incentives.

He’s probably slated for a $1M in salary. The fact that it’s been an eternity since he agreed to terms and his agent isn’t flaunting numbers makes me believe it’s not as great a deal as they’d like to let on.

I don’t see a huge deal with this though, he hopes to get playing time. Every player should want playing time.

Clearly a slow news day in the NFL.

6. dondada10 says: Apr 7, 2012 6:34 PM

It wouldn’t be difficult to draft somebody better than Jacobs.

7. arbiterflick says: Apr 7, 2012 6:40 PM

This signing made such little sense to me. I know Gore has had a history of injuries but if I needed to gain 1 yard I’d give the ball to Gore every single time over Jacobs.

8. billmead1976 says: Apr 7, 2012 6:57 PM

No fantasy value for Gore or Jacobs now. Dang.

9. blutri10 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:03 PM

Say what you want about Brandon…But he has averaged 4.5 yards per carry and has 56 career rushing touchdowns, the most in Giants history. We’ll miss him in Giant blue. Once a Giant, always a Giant. Thank you Brandon.

10. mcs040 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:07 PM

Horrible sign. I hate Jacobs attitude. Already makin stupid comments. run game wasn’t the issue to address(especially with jacobs)

11. butkus54 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:23 PM

Surprised the 49rs would sign this guy…he drove the Giants nuts because he wouldn’t run north and south…all they got was 260 lbs of dead weight with attitude.

12. funkylovemonkey says: Apr 7, 2012 7:24 PM

I think Jacobs is in more for insurance. Gore slowed down majorly in the second half of the season. After a string of games breaking 100 yards he was injured and barely played against the Giants. After that he was never the same, never breaking 100 yards in a game for the remainder of the season. In the last seven games of the season he only once ran for more then 4 yards per carry once and averaged only 61 yards per game.

Hopefully he has a healthier year this season, but Gore has rarely gone through a season without injury trouble, and I’m not convinced yet that Hunter can take the load.

13. EJ says: Apr 7, 2012 7:25 PM

I can’t believe that the Giants just gave up on Jacobs so quickly, dropped him like a dollar bill at the strip club. The guy just scored the final TD in the Superbowl, It just doesn’t seem right. The Giants must believe that they are alright without him though.

14. cali49er707 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:27 PM

as a 9ER fan, i just hope were able to give him enough opportunities considering how much we struggled to get there, for the majority of the season we lived & died with dreat defense & special teams, & any time we scored 7 in the red zone was a steak with the beans & rice!!!

15. mrmarcus55 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:29 PM

Hopefully harbaugh and company can lite a firecracker under his ass…he says a lot of untrure things like when giants played Niners last year that the Niners were scared…they weren’t scared Jacobs. Now get your big ass out there and smash that nfc west!

16. jayniner says: Apr 7, 2012 7:35 PM

Let’s be honest, the red zone hasn’t really been their strong suit. But with Jacobs lead-blocking for Gore in the RZ, and the recent receiver acquisitions, defenses won’t know what to do. Gore has always been classy, earning his rightful spot as a leader on this team, and Jacobs can only help his numbers this year.

17. crisisofinfinitephils says: Apr 7, 2012 7:40 PM

Oh man, I needed a good laugh today.

18. cali49er707 says: Apr 7, 2012 7:41 PM

EJ says:
    Apr 7, 2012 7:25 PM

now that was hilarious!!!!!

19. rickastleydancemoves says: Apr 7, 2012 7:42 PM

I eyeball during training camp Patrick Willis will stay stone walling his ass in goal line situations.

20. ascensionparish says: Apr 7, 2012 7:54 PM

I think he chose to be a 49ers fan as a youth because he could actually spell “49ers.”

21. weekendwarriorko says: Apr 7, 2012 8:03 PM

Still think he could have a resurgence if he just remembers to run North and South and cut out the agile 200lb running back jukes.

22. 7to10for6allday says: Apr 7, 2012 8:07 PM

He will get like 6 TDs this year bc SF o line is good so frank gore is a 3rd td fantasy option…..anything earlier is too early.

23. nyfan63 says: Apr 7, 2012 8:53 PM

I don’t really understand all the “bad attitude” comments. Jacobs attitude has never been a problem, and actually by all accounts he’s a great locker room guy. He has always displayed a team-first attitude and said and did all the right things when Bradshaw became the starter. And yes, he will make you nuts sometimes running east/west when he should be going north/south but I’d bet the years platooning have left some life in his legs, and he can still be a dangerous runner. I think this was a smart move by the Niners. As a Giants fan, I’ll miss him.

24. RavenzGunnerz says: Apr 7, 2012 9:04 PM

Hey the Guy has more rings than anybody on that SF team :)

25. giantsfan2104 says: Apr 7, 2012 9:11 PM

EJ says:
    Apr 7, 2012 7:25 PM
    ===================================

That was Ahmad Bradshaw. Jacobs didn’t score in Super Bowl 46, or 42. Not belittling anything he did as a Giant, but they should be able to manage without him. They still have Bradshaw and D.J. Ware. Not to mention, Da’Rel Scott looked great in the preseason, so a full off-season should really help. (The Giants’ last preseason beast was Victor Cruz, and look what happened)

Best of luck to Jacobs.

26. db105 says: Apr 7, 2012 9:55 PM

He’ll be on the waiver wire shortly after training camp starts.

27. twodat says: Apr 7, 2012 9:58 PM

sour grapes and whine

I’ll have to ask people who know him if he really did pull for SF as a kid

28. shieldsisland37 says: Apr 7, 2012 10:07 PM

I heard from a reliable source, that Jacobs also walked into a Golden Coral today. It is rumored that he was “eyeballing” the steak, pizza, chicken, hamburgers, desert, more desert, a few shrimp, tacos………..

29. aces79 says: Apr 7, 2012 10:55 PM

I think Jacobs and Gore will be a killer combo just like Williams and Stewart in Carolina
    i think niners did i great signing if Jacobs keeps his mouth closed

30. zerocool62 says: Apr 7, 2012 11:28 PM

was semi weary about the pick up but after this makes perfect scense Gore always been an open field runner. its were he pounds and punishes. just goes to show, In Harbaugh We Trust.
    love everything about my coach.

31. losntina69 says: Apr 8, 2012 7:36 AM

260lb marshmallow that can barely gain one yard. The highlight of his career is trucking Laron Landry. Go home and hang out with Portia and Willie Parker and Larry Johnson see how well they are doing. Such a bama

32. bangitfootball says: Apr 8, 2012 10:15 AM

HAPPY FEET got a job!!!!!!!

33. bigbluefan1 says: Apr 8, 2012 10:32 AM

I wish you luck but you have one thing going againest you
    You have to be on the goal line before you can score and Smith yeah need I say more

If things do not work out head back to NJ and open a car dealership

Come sell fast cars
    Benson and Armstead are doing very well with there after football businesses

Brandon you will always be welcome unless you go all tiki

34. hammerjacker says: Apr 8, 2012 1:10 PM