Two players on the Vikings team that lost to the Saints in the NFC Championship Game — a game that has been much discussed in the Saints’ bounty scandal — are taking shots at former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.
Chris Kluwe and Visanthe Shiancoe had a lengthy exchange on Twitter about Williams, and neither one of them buys the “everybody does it” defense of Williams.
“Are you [expletive] kidding me? What kind of neanderthal message does that send,” Kluwe wrote.
Added Schiancoe, “what do u expect from a neanderthal?” Shiancoe also suggested that without the Saints taking cheap shots at Vikings quarterback Brett Favre, “we could have a ring right now.”
As for the idea that what Williams said was standard for NFL locker rooms, Kluwe took issue with that.
“I see a lot of people asking about the context of the Gregg Williams audio clip as it relates to how other teams talk,” Kluwe wrote. “I will enlighten! 90% of what he said was standard rah rah motivational stuff. Hit guys hard, get him going sideways, etc.; all fine and heard before. The part that is an issue is the other 10%, where he specifically talks about targeting ACL’s, twisting guys’ ankles in the pile, and trying to hit a concussion victim in the head again. That’s why Goodell has to come down so hard on this; you don’t want that spreading.”
Williams won’t be able to spread it anymore. His coaching career is likely over.