Top-ten buzz builds as Floyd lines up several pre-draft visits

Michael Floyd, Robby Toma AP

Most observers expected Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd to be drafted in the late teens to early 20s when the college season ended. But the latest pre-draft buzz on Floyd indicates he may go as early as the top ten.

And a host of teams picking early want one-on-one time with Floyd before the draft.

Appearing on Sirius NFL Radio with Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt on Sunday, Floyd revealed that he’s already visited the Browns and Panthers. He worked out for the Philadelphia Eagles this past week, and will visit the Titans, Rams, Bengals, and Jets during the coming week. The Cardinals, Dolphins, 49ers, and Vikings will host Floyd the following week.

That’s eleven teams, nine of which draft in the top-17 picks. Five pick in the top ten.

During one of his marvelously informative pre-draft Twitter rants recently, NFL Films producer Greg Cosell compared Floyd to Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe. After watching Notre Dame and Oklahoma State game tape, Cosell also hinted that he prefers Floyd over Justin Blackmon.

Blackmon is supposed to go in the top-six picks.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Top-ten buzz builds as Floyd lines up several pre-draft visits”
  1. Lou Pickney says: Apr 8, 2012 1:42 PM

Floyd is taller, stronger, and faster than Blackmon, plus he has more potential. But both should be good NFL wide receivers.

2. Nicholas Tredway says: Apr 8, 2012 1:43 PM

Good for him. I like seeing an Irish skill position player go early in the draft. It doesn’t happen very often.

3. abillsfan11 says: Apr 8, 2012 1:44 PM

bring him to buffalo and lets make the offense as good as the D looks to be.. no more double teams on stevie and he will really torch revis island and company

4. talkintrashallday says: Apr 8, 2012 1:50 PM

Name ONE player from ND in the last 15 years who hasn’t been a BUST…

5. weekendatberniemadoffs says: Apr 8, 2012 1:51 PM

i know panther’s fans will not agree with me and will persist we HAVE to draft a dt. sure, it’s obvious we need the position filled, but let’s not get desperate. we should first, try to trade back. if that’s not an option, floyd, ingram, cox or kuechly are the only players worthy of our 9th pick (should none of the top 6 fall). although he doesn’t fill a glaring need, floyd’s talent is undeniable, and would look great in a carolina uniform.

6. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 8, 2012 1:57 PM

talkintrashallday says:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:50 PM
    Name ONE player from ND in the last 15 years who hasn’t been a BUST…

_________________

Not a ND fan but Justin Tuck has had a pretty good NFL career.

7. ibeballin says: Apr 8, 2012 1:58 PM

@talkintrashallday

Justin Tuck

8. jacksaysfu says: Apr 8, 2012 2:00 PM

I still say his character issues will keep him out of the top
    10. Blackmon also is better at getting seperation , but Floyd does make impressive catches . I hope a top 10 team drafts him though cause that means more players my team is targeting may end up dropping down to #15 .

9. vicpetro says: Apr 8, 2012 2:03 PM

Name ONE player from ND in the last 15 years who hasn’t been a BUST…

Justin Tuck and Jonathan Sullivan say hello.

10. pnthrz1 says: Apr 8, 2012 2:06 PM

I hope the Panthers do not draft anymore ND skilled players. Clausen is so bad I don’t want them to draft any ND players.

11. jacksaysfu says: Apr 8, 2012 2:06 PM

@weekendatberniemadoffs: I hope my Eagles trade with you guys so Philly can draft Kuechly , but they’ll stay and grab either Cox , Brockers or Poe .

12. beedubyatoo says: Apr 8, 2012 2:11 PM

Paul Hornung. Wait…how many years??

13. nflanalyst says: Apr 8, 2012 2:14 PM

If we are going to compare them I see them as…

Blackmon- Anquan Boldin

Floyd- Brandon Marshall

14. cush2push says: Apr 8, 2012 2:14 PM

i really hope buffalo doesnt draft him there are plenty of receivers to be had in this draft
    buffalo should target decastro as levitre urbik and reinhart are free agents next year

15. fatfreddystubbs says: Apr 8, 2012 2:18 PM

I’m not a ND fan. In fact, if i’m watching a Notre Dame game, I’m usually pulling for other team. but that being said, with the possible exception of the USC game, every time i watched ND this year i found myself thinking he was the best player on the field and he’d be flat-out scary with a decent QB.

16. weekendatberniemadoffs says: Apr 8, 2012 2:29 PM

@jacksaysfu –i’ve heard philly fans are hoping kuechly falls. he seems to be the favorite. unfortunately, unless you guys trade up (which isn’t out of the realm of possibility-carolina/philly have been trade partners a few times) you may be settling for a dt. which, isn’t a bad thing considering the depth of the position. i just don’t like poe. i don’t. brockers and cox are the real deal.

17. truthhurtstoo says: Apr 8, 2012 2:30 PM

buffalo should just try first to get out of the basement… baby steps for a franchise this poor.

18. gopokes0714 says: Apr 8, 2012 2:35 PM

All you need to watch is the Fiesta Bowl. A guy can have all the potential in the world but does it show up in the big games?

19. arrogantathlete says: Apr 8, 2012 2:41 PM

Buffalo is last years eagles.

20. khmer379 says: Apr 8, 2012 2:51 PM

He will be a Viking he coming back home

21. phishfan520 says: Apr 8, 2012 2:51 PM

Die hard Michigan fan here and I assure you he was the ONLY REASON that we didn’t beat them by three touchdowns. There is no doubt in my mind he will be a great pro. He will look great in aqua and orange unless we trade down

22. 305phinphan says: Apr 8, 2012 2:55 PM

Imo Floyd will be a stud but as far as Miami drafting him I dont see it happening. Philbin likes smaller receivers for his WC offense and I believe someone like Ryan Broyles would be a better fit. I’m surprised Broyles is not even considered to be a 5th round pick by many mocks. If I were a GM and Broyles was sitting their in the 4th I would jump on him. The kid has major talent!

23. simplyapple2 says: Apr 8, 2012 3:06 PM

Bowe??? Pshh if he gets drafted in the top ten you might as well compare him another Chiefs wide out- last years big bust- I got knocked out by thomas jones – I feel entitled- baldwin! Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he’s top ten worthy. Too many better options at other positions that all of those teams need before the waste it trying to get the luck of the Irish.

24. drunkenjunk says: Apr 8, 2012 3:22 PM

He’s gonna be a bust, Blackmon all day.

25. moneymike23 says: Apr 8, 2012 3:23 PM

talkintrashallday says:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:50 PM
    Name ONE player from ND in the last 15 years who hasn’t been a BUST…
    ________________________
    Jeff Samardzjia

26. 49ers1970 says: Apr 8, 2012 3:41 PM

Carolina would be crazy not to take him if he’s there when they pick.

27. nflfollower says: Apr 8, 2012 3:42 PM

Rams could trade down again and pick up this cat instead of blackmon. He had a dominant year with questionable qb play last year, could really help bradford out. Good to see they are doing their due diligence.

28. trojan33sc says: Apr 8, 2012 4:30 PM

Cam Newton needs at least one more prime receiver, Panthers need Floyd, a few more offensive weapons then they will be dangerous !!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. essentialsausage says: Apr 8, 2012 5:35 PM

He should be ready. It seems like he was playing college football for ten years.

30. randallflagg52 says: Apr 8, 2012 5:36 PM

Floyd kind of reminds me of Fitz. Similar size and they are very polished route runners. Both also have excellent concentration and hands. I don’t think Floyd dropped a pass until well past mid season.

31. koudoes says: Apr 8, 2012 6:11 PM

Floyd make crazy difficult catches and looks faster than blackmond on TV. Plus he did it with a bad QB for the past two years.

32. 8drinkminimum says: Apr 8, 2012 6:21 PM

Are any of the following “a bust”?

Zbikowski, Fasano, Rudolph, Carlson.

33. randallflagg52 says: Apr 8, 2012 6:47 PM

Both will be very good pros IMO, they are polished wide outs, have great work ethics, don’t seem to be head cases like a lot of WRs these days and aside from each having alcohol related incidents don’t have bad reps.

Like I said before Floyd is like Fitz and Blackmon is T.O. If I ran a WCO I’d take Blackmon, if I ran a vertical game I’d take Floyd.

34. pacodawg says: Apr 8, 2012 7:47 PM

I hop the team that drafts him has a dry clubhouse policy.

35. ramitbaby says: Apr 8, 2012 7:52 PM

If my Rams take Floyd over Blackmon, I’m kicking Jeff Fisher’s a$$.

36. trubroncfan07 says: Apr 8, 2012 8:26 PM

I think Blackmon is more Bolden than Owens. Floyd is going to be the better receiver in the NFL.

37. descendency says: Apr 8, 2012 8:48 PM

Floyd is the best receiver in this draft. He’s bigger. Faster. Better body control. Better hands.

He has a chance to be like Larry Fitzgerald, especially if he keeps his nose clean and stays healthy.

I’ve wanted him in NE since I saw him the first time, years ago.

Blackmon is a very good talent. Floyd is special.

38. myleathasosoft says: Apr 8, 2012 9:16 PM

Only if he can drop to #26 to the Houston Texans. I know it will not happen, but anything can happen during the NFL Draft!

39. birddawgs42 says: Apr 8, 2012 9:23 PM

It looks to me that blackmon is better than Floyd after the catch..he runs with more determination. Yards after the catch is huge in the WCO…

40. andyreidisfat says: Apr 8, 2012 10:44 PM

I’m sorry but Blackmon is the best WR since Calvin to be in the draft. I like Floyd. In fact if he were to fall to 15 and the eagles think they can get a dt later i am just fine with adding him to the offense. But Blackmon is the guy. In a game he is faster, runs better routes and catches everything.

As far as Bowe to Floyd comparisons, they are silly. Bowe is a power WR who uses his body to make catches. Floyd is more of a go up and get it guy. Also Floyd is much much faster than Bowe. A proper comparison would be to Dez Bryant. Both guys have great size and speed, problem with both guys is work ethic. Though i think Floyd will be better in the nfl.

On the Broyles comment, i agree totally. In fact 5 years from now Broyles could be the next Wes Welker. Which is why i suspect that NE will draft him.

This really is a great WR draft. Someone is going to get a guy like Sanu late in the first early in the second and have a guy who can be pro bowler.

41. patpatriotagain says: Apr 9, 2012 2:33 AM

is it possible that 5 teams in the top 10 are doing due diligence in case they are unable to get blackmon and decide to trade out of the top 10? blackmon will be first. right about now is when bizarre theories get floated by people with draft fever – and about one week before the draft everything returns to normal.

42. rocbillsboy says: Apr 9, 2012 3:32 AM

He will look great opposite SJ 13 then we’ll go for a tackle in round 2… Go Bills

43. hooterdawg says: Apr 9, 2012 4:50 AM

Except for the ball-washing on this site, I would have never heard of Greg Cosell.

44. im2fast4you123 says: Apr 10, 2012 4:41 PM

The only way mn will get floyd is if they trade down. They can not get kalil and floyd. If they wanted to trade up they would have to give up our 2nd and 4th this year plus a first or second next year. They wont do it bein how many holes we need to fill. I would love to see us get both cuz we would have a pretty good line a damn good receiving core with floyd harvin and jenkins but like i said the chances are slim to non that it will happen.

45. vraefoley says: Apr 11, 2012 6:23 PM

Didn’t Blackmon catch a drinking charge also? So shouldn’t “character” issues be questioned for both him & Floyd? After considering this, I’d take Floyd any day! Taller, faster, stronger & excellent vertical. Anyone seen Sports Science??

46. mnfaninaz says: Apr 15, 2012 3:47 AM

With the 5th pick in the 2007 NFL draft… the Arizona Cardinals select… Levi Brown.

LOL!!!