Irsay strongly hints that Luck is the pick

Getty Images

In his latest cryptic message to the fan base via Twitter, Colts owner Jim Irsay gushes about quarterback Andrew Luck.

We think.

“Met with A Luck#12 n Indy 2day for 3 hrs;it’s easy 2c why the #1 pick n this Stanford phenom has been synonymous with each other 4over 2 yrs,” Irsay said.

Likely translation:  “I met with Andrew Luck, who wears No. 12 when on the football field, in Indianapolis today for three hours.  It’s easy to see why the former Stanford quarterback has been viewed as the top pick in the draft for the last two years.”

So does it mean Luck will be the pick?  Irsay isn’t saying, yet.  Possibly, Irsay likes the attention — and the Twitter followers that go along with it.  Also, with the Redskins locked on to Robert Griffin III, Irsay also may like the fact that the uncertainty is making Daniel Snyder and company more than a little nervous.

It still isn’t known whether the Colts will invite Griffin to Indy for a pre-draft visit.  Griffin has declined the opportunity to work out for the Colts in Texas, but Griffin’s position is that he’s working out for no one.  With Griffin visiting the Redskins in D.C., it will be more glaring if Griffin declines an invitation to Indianapolis.

71 responses to “Irsay strongly hints that Luck is the pick

1. Did you really have to translate that tweet? I think it was pretty clear what he was saying.

2. With all the twitterings and twitterese that only teenage girls are familiar with, Irsay should buy himself a 13 year old girls field hockey team. He’s such a drunken clown.

3. Why doesnt Jimmy just go ahead and sign the kid already? Whats up with all the cryptic messages this year when you have the #1 overall pick and have been talking about taking this kid for over 6 months? Pull the trigger dude!

4. Colts want Luck, and Luck wants the Indy.

Redskins want Griffin, and Griffin wants D.C.

There is nothing else to decipher.

5. and the number one pick in the 2012 draft. pause.. robert griffin III baylor university haha

6. Irsay is the biggest attention hore of all the NFL owners. You’d think an owner in his sixties would try to set an example for his players… of course when the owner is a dbag, that might not be the example you want your players to follow.

7. Irsay should drop the Twitter account. No wonder RGIII has no interest in being a Colt, he watched Irsay nearly ruin a good thing with Peyton through his loud mouth and fingers on Twitter.

8. your translation doesn’t make Irsay look anything at all.

But it makes you look kind of stupid.

9. Somebody should tell Irsay he’s like 60yrs old maybe he should tweet without using numbers like he’s a 16yr old girl

10. As a Colts fan I always thought it was a fore-gone conclusion until the 3-5 stories a week stating otherwise made me wonder (not to mention PFT having the only mock draft in the country that had RGIII going first)
    I guess that when someone is the projected as the first pick in the draft for two years that’s boring and someone needs to stir the pot.

11. Come on man! A strong hint would be signing Luck today, anything less is Irsay sitting in his lonely loft after one beer too many and needing a little internet interaction

12. I’m not sure which of the following Irsay has worse judgment on–suits or what’s newsworthy.

13. Its a slow off season, what do u expect? Irsay can do what he wants, other teams owners are dull and boring, Irsay brings a different element to ownership, glad I’m a colts fan and not a redskins fan……..FAIL! !!!

14. I strongly suggest Irsay is like his dad…..I drunk fool! The apple didn’t fall to far from the tree here. There’s no LUCK or HOPE in indy with this clown owner!

15. The fact of the matter is te Colts have pretty much been a joke organization without Peyton (or Unitas). They are going to need someone of that caliber to keep Jim Irsay from embarrassing himself for any period of time. Not a reflection on the fans – just the top of the organization and how they do things.

Dungy is not a superbowl coach without Peyton and he knows that – and for that reason he will never coach again. The team was held together by one player, #18 and they will be terrible for years to come if this draft pick doesn’t work out. Think Jeff George.

16. Keep it up Irsay….Snyder will buy Lucas Oil Field and burn it down to the grounds, pave it and put a Hooter’s on it for good measure. You are messing with the wrong man. He eats people like you for breakfast.

17. Thanks for the tweet translation. I’m having trouble tying my shoes and burping myself too, can you help?

18. What’s this? RG3 signed a deal to endorse Castrol Motor Oil? It doesn’t matter WHAT Irsay tweets, there is no way RG3 plays at Lucas Oil Stadium in a Colts uniform.

19. I get that Twitter has a finite number of characters for someone to post something, but I’d have a hard time taking Irsay seriously with using the Textspeak of a teenager.

20. peytonsneck18 says:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:37 PM

Really this from a fan of a team who only won 2 games all year? A fan of a team who’s QB gets hurt and the entire team becomes a joke…well your team just may be selecting #1 again next year as well…

21. Maybe I’m old and cratchety or maybe because I’m not a 14 year old girl but watching a billionaire type out that atrocity that a lobotomized 9 year old would have trouble understanding is baffling to me…Talk about winning the life lottery and getting a team handed to you..” I dun jst dnt get it @ludicrous”

22. jakek2 said: With all the twitterings and twitterese that only teenage girls are familiar with, Irsay should buy himself a 13 year old girls field hockey team.
    ~

I hope you never have a daughter. She would deserve more from a father than you could give her.

23. Why do you guys keep posting all these bogus stories? I bet Indy has already spoken to skins execs and they both know which direction each team is headed in the draft. Lame ass PFT is posting All these speculative stories.

24. Waltdawg, Hope Snyder doesn’t burn Irsay’s Lombardi trophy…..and if your owner is such a bada$$, then why does his team suck so bad every year? Things that make you go hmmm?

25. Someone called Irsay a superfan with a checkbook.

As a fan that is EXACTLY what I want my owner to be!

26. nflofficeadmin says:Apr 10, 2012 6:45 PM

duece5 says:

You are on crack…..not a colts fan here either.

The colts won more games than any team in a 10 year span, the ultimate TEAM sport, and it was due to only Peyton.

Dude, Peyton is great, but you need 10 more on your side to win offensively, and last I checked, Peyton didn’t play a down on defense!

Yep, Freeney, Sanders, and company they just sucked!!

Dude, go hit another bong.

27. Did Irsay “butt dial/text” that by accident? Sheesh….

I think Twitter needs a breathalyzer requirement prior to hitting “enter”.

28. indywilson40 says:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:32 PM

@indywilson40—

How dare you not give credit to Manning? You disgust me. You also disgust Dan….

29. Petty jealousy is probably the least flattering trait there is. It makes me laugh to think how many Irsay bashers who point to his inheriting the Colts would have run the organization into the ground.

In fact, before he took it over, it was not exactly a powerhouse. He has the best overall record as an owner since 1998.

30. I’m amazed that so many people don’t understand why tweeters (Its not just Irsay) send messages that are sometimes hard to decipher. You’re allowed 130 characters, including spaces and punctuation.
    Kinda hard to communicate a 3 sentence thought unless you abbreviate…. A LOT.
    Get it?

31. seahawks19081 says: Apr 10, 2012 9:06 PM

How great would it be if the Colts traded the pick to the browns to screw Snyder out of Griffin? He would still get Luck but he wants Griffin bad.

——————–

So the Colts should trade down to # 4, thereby taking them out of the running for a franchise QB, the precise year that they let Peyton Manning go?

Your post makes as much sense as Jim Beam Irsay’s tweets!

32. Do you get it? Irsay understands what the Polians did to the team. With a better defense, Peyton would have won multiple Super Bowls. Polian’s poor draft choices left Indy with a 2-14 season; pay him ESPN for faulty advice. Polian cost the Colts at least one Super Bowl.

33. sbelig says:Apr 10, 2012 11:59 PM

Irsay has really become one of the most self aggrandizing, attention seekers out there.

————————————————–

I agree, this guy is an idiot, I’m tired of the whole thing.

Irsay reminds me of Dolan….just a fool.

34. Apr 10, 2012 9:42 PM
    rocketcrab, did you laugh when the Colts beat you 8 straight times?
    ___________________________________

Of course not, but at least we have sober management and an owner who is an adult.

35. FYI – I watched THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED.

Sometimes it takes a long time, but – what goes around comes around.

REAL men play football outside.

36. I’ve always thought that QB’s get too much credit when the team wins, and way too much blame when they lose. Having said that, I am amazed, well not really, but the amount of admiration and cult like attention Manning get’s from Indy is ridiculous……..1 Super Bowl win….that’s it….1. and people act as if this guy solved world hunger. Coach Dungy did not need Manning to win a SB…..I wonder how the other Colts’ players feel about themselves when 1 player get’s all the glory for all the success of a franchise. I guess there is an I in team after all. Sports teams are like puzzles….it takes all pieces to make a picture. No one piece is more important than the other….except in Indy… In formulating a puzzle, tell me Indy fans, which piece is the most important.

37. . . . And in other news, the sun rose in the east for the 949,593,388,722,391,228,734,998th consecutive morning. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, it is expected to set this evening in the west. We will provide more on this breaking story as further information becomes available . . .