Publisher of NFL Magazine goes out of business

nflmag1 AP

Last week, the NFL acknowledged that its short-lived foray into the dying magazine industry has died.

The company that published the magazine is dead, too.

According to Paul Irish of thestar.com, the man who runs Dauphin Media Group says that Dauphin Media Group is closing its doors.

Still unknown is the fate of the funds surrendered to the defunct Dauphin Media Group for subscriptions to a venture that ultimately produced only four issues.  While Dauphin may have been too small to properly do the job, the NFL is big enough to have known that — and the NFL also is big enough to make this right with folks who soon could be stiffed by a company that no longer exists.

We’ll let you know if the NFL does.  We know that plenty of you will let us know if the NFL doesn’t.

UPDATE 12:00 p.m. ET:  “The NFL will ensure that any fan who subscribed to NFL Magazine will receive a refund,” says NFL spokesman Greg Aiello by email.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
39 Responses to “Publisher of NFL Magazine goes out of business”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: Apr 10, 2012 10:08 AM

Magazine? What sort of thing is that?

2. FinFan68 says: Apr 10, 2012 10:10 AM

We’ll let you know if the NFL does.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Really? The NFL will not sacrifice the almighty dollar when they are not compelled to. Do not hold your breath…unless they can somehow spin positive publicity out of a “charitable” act of responsibility.

3. drblinky says: Apr 10, 2012 10:12 AM

Shockingly, entering into the medium of print in 2011 turns out to not have been the best business decision. I have higher hopes for NFL Radio though.

4. doe22us says: Apr 10, 2012 10:17 AM

Print media is slowly dying.

5. tennesseeoilers says: Apr 10, 2012 10:19 AM

Actually, I’ve only received THREE issues of the magazine (including the Tebow debut issue). I’m sure I’m not the only subscriber who never saw the final one.

6. nolahxc says: Apr 10, 2012 10:19 AM

Sports magazines are almost obsolete these days. I don’t understand why some people get them other than to have something to read in the bathroom. Everything you want to (and don’t want to) know is available online almost the instant it happens. Most of the writers for these magazines have articles and columns online that they are publishing today that may be similar to what they’re publishing the following week in a magazine.

On another note, I get excited when I see someone walk into one of my fantasy drafts with a “draft magazine”. It’s even more entertaining when they use a June issue!

7. jacobslatter says: Apr 10, 2012 10:21 AM

Send all unsold copies of the thing to subscribers to sell on eBay or Craig’s List. A surefire hit with collectors.

8. nflhof says: Apr 10, 2012 10:24 AM

When they put Tebow on the firstcover I said “no thanks”. That told me everything I needed to know about subscribing to that mag.

9. mrmarcus55 says: Apr 10, 2012 10:48 AM

I bought the draft issue, read a few pages and thought was this put together by a 7th grade after school project….

10. satanphoenix says: Apr 10, 2012 10:52 AM

I don’t think the NFL is under any obligation to reimburse anyone stiffed by the magazine publisher.

11. Rex Grossman says: Apr 10, 2012 10:59 AM

See what I like about magazines is that I can take them anywhere!!!

*Posted from iphone on a damn bus

12. thebrettman says: Apr 10, 2012 11:06 AM

———————

Isn’t that why God (Steve Jobs) created the iPad?

13. vergaking82 says: Apr 10, 2012 11:24 AM

Never knew this magazine existed lol who needs this anyway when we profootballtalk.com

14. countsnail says: Apr 10, 2012 11:24 AM

After 500 years or so, the printing press is dying off and being completely replaced by digital technology (internet, ipads, etc.)

We’re witnessing some very seismic history here.

15. draftreport says: Apr 10, 2012 11:31 AM

Just heard from someone who spoke with NFL Magazine this morning and reports they are sending him a check for the remainder of his 2-year subscription he purchased.

16. puntonfirstdown says: Apr 10, 2012 11:36 AM

Coming next: “NFL to publish daily print-only newspaper.”

I also really enjoy watching the NFL pick their Super Bowl half time performers from a pool of “who was popular 20-30 years ago?”

The front office should be checked for concussions.

17. tombrookshire says: Apr 10, 2012 11:38 AM

Already know the answer to that. By far, the most difficult thing for the very, very wealthy to do is the right thing. Although some do, most would rather have their teeth extracted one by one than part with a single precious penny of their money.

18. godofwine330 says: Apr 10, 2012 11:39 AM

My question is who thought that this wa a great idea? This isn’t 1992, or even 2002. This is 2012, and magazines are the do-do’s of the world. I never even got into the whole SI craze, which the last two years they were so desperate as to offer Madden for free with a year’s subscription.

With PFT, they have eliminated my need for BSPN and I have never used their insider pay to read feature. You can find out anything you need for free, so why pay? A monthly magazine with stories that are old as soon as they put ink to paper.

This was not a good idea, and now yet another small business is gone. I wonder if they are going to try to pin this one on the president, too.

19. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Apr 10, 2012 11:43 AM

It’s too bad. Magazines, like newspapers, are in decline. Just wished it had been that ESPN magazine- I wouldn’t line the bottom of a bird cage with that rag.

20. jeffesky says: Apr 10, 2012 11:46 AM

There was an NFL magazine?

21. shackdelrio says: Apr 10, 2012 11:46 AM

I was really looking forward to the NFL making VHS tapes and CD walkmen.

22. rc33 says: Apr 10, 2012 11:53 AM

The cover of Sports Illustrated is still an honor.
    But there’s almost no sense in publishing the magazine anymore.
    Just announce every Tuesday morning who’s on this week’s cover then skip the rest.

23. dan55moore says: Apr 10, 2012 11:55 AM

so where does this leave me as a subscriber to the magazine

24. stonecld33 says: Apr 10, 2012 11:59 AM

Isn’t there an app for that? O wait it sucks nfl ’11 and were all doomed with this PFT Tebow saints app

25. cuda1234 says: Apr 10, 2012 12:53 PM

But wait, I thought Tim Tebow was so popular he could sell anything. Is this more proof that his popularity is just a media thing?

26. tmc4real says: Apr 10, 2012 1:06 PM

When the machines take over, you all will beg for a magazine.

27. weepingjebus says: Apr 10, 2012 1:11 PM

What did them in was not having Tebow on the cover, but later taking him off. (The Jets are also excited to make the same mistake when it comes to their starters).

28. kane337 says: Apr 10, 2012 1:24 PM

I never even knew this magazine existed. Epic marketing fail. They could have at least advertised it on NFL Network.

29. Deb says: Apr 10, 2012 1:36 PM

The publishing industry is going through a radical overhaul, but people haven’t stopped reading–as evidenced by the dramatic growth of PFT. Perhaps NFL Magazine’s troubles had less to do with the decline of magazine readership than with Dunphy’s content. Peyton Manning as the 2011 MVP? Yes, because we all know defenders like Mathis and Freeney can’t function without their starting QB. :roll: A lot more was happening in Indy than Manning’s absence. Why would I buy football insights from someone too dimwitted to understand that?

30. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 10, 2012 1:50 PM

“We were just too small,” said Mike Dunphy, who was last cited in this space for naming Peyton Manning the MVP of the 2011 season based on the fact that his value was demonstrated in his absence.

______________________________

That was the most fruitless argument I’ve had all year with people. That and who’s the better QB Rex Grossman or John Beck.

31. jarobinewsome says: Apr 10, 2012 2:16 PM

Damn … Thanks for letting me know. I only received two issues. One with Suh on the cover and one with Eli on the cover. I was wondering when the April edition would arrive. If I ever get a refund…I guess I’ll buy a case a beer. That’s what I get for actually counting on the league to get it right.

32. ubummer says: Apr 10, 2012 2:26 PM

Let’s just see you swat a fly with your iPad or put it over your head in the rain when you forgot your umbrella.

33. rogerbrad says: Apr 10, 2012 2:50 PM

The reason and logic the magazine crashed is VERY simple. The first issue featured Tim Teblow on the cover. I said it wouldn’t last then.

34. golonger says: Apr 10, 2012 3:26 PM

I never received the fourth copy either…..the NFL should refund the ENTIRE amount for the trouble….and the fact that they are too incompetant to pick a decent publisher!

35. beeronthefridge says: Apr 10, 2012 3:37 PM

I didn’t know warren sapp wrote for NFL magazine.

36. jcg23 says: Apr 11, 2012 4:29 PM

They could have made it an online mag and it would have done great. Why folks are holding on to paper media is beyond me.

37. maryellenfinch says: Apr 17, 2012 6:48 PM

So just got an email telling me this. Signed up for my hubby as a Christmas present. When I called and asked about the Jan issue was told due to some publishing issues Feb would be the first. We received Feb, Mar and just got the Apr/May. I said what the heck it was supposed to be MONTHLY. Now I know why. So yes – only three issues were published – refund expected for 9 issues.

38. stevelong02 says: Jun 14, 2012 11:11 AM

NFL already did the right thing. I already received a full refund for my subscription. Way to go NFL.. It always pays to do the right thing. Thank you.

39. walkman56 says: Jun 17, 2012 2:38 AM

I never received the draft issue,but I did get a refund of $19.90.