Monday Night Football adds Lisa Salters as sideline reporter

Mike Patrick

ESPN is bringing back a permanent sideline reporter for Monday Night Football, with Lisa Salters getting the job.

The network has announced that Salters, who has previously worked the sidelines for NBA and college football games, is getting called up to the NFL.

Last year Monday Night Football downplayed the sideline reporter role and used a rotating cast when sideline reporters were present at all, and the three men in the booth — Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski — filled the air time during pauses in the action. But now that Jaworski is out, ESPN has apparently decided that it needs a third on-air personality.

Past sideline reporters on Monday nights have included Lynn Swann, Lesley Visser, Eric Dickerson, Melissa Stark, Lisa Guerrero, Michele Tafoya and Suzy Kolber.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
43 Responses to “Monday Night Football adds Lisa Salters as sideline reporter”
  1. joetoronto says: Apr 11, 2012 10:47 AM

Melissa Stark gets my vote, she’s just so milfy.

2. drbob117 says: Apr 11, 2012 10:47 AM

Poor Suzy. She could have had Joe Namath a few years ago, and now look what’s happened.

3. 11jlacy says: Apr 11, 2012 10:52 AM

I think lisa will do an awesome job handle ur biz ms. lisa do ur thang

4. vdaigglesfan says: Apr 11, 2012 10:55 AM

That infamous sideline orator Joe Namath slurred “I wannnnnnaaaaa kiss yoooou.” NOT.

5. hendawg21 says: Apr 11, 2012 10:56 AM

I mean really, do we need sideline reporting??? Most of the time it’s annoying and they do this ususally while play is going on…switching to that little arse screen while they ask dumb questions and talk about nothing on the sideline…

6. apage53915 says: Apr 11, 2012 10:56 AM

I think this is a great move by ESPN.

7. ronaldmexico says: Apr 11, 2012 10:57 AM

Jon Gruden may be wondering why the first lady is taking a sideline reporter gig.

8. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 11, 2012 10:58 AM

I can’t wait for her to interview Joe Namath.

9. brokea$$lovesmesomeme says: Apr 11, 2012 11:00 AM

Because adding a women asking “how they think there defense is playing” or ” what do you have to do to get back in this game” is exactly what MNF needs

10. pisstol says: Apr 11, 2012 11:07 AM

I say OK as long as they hire super hot chicks and they wear thong bikinis while reporting……they’re just eye candy anyway.

11. eaglesnoles05 says: Apr 11, 2012 11:27 AM

You could replace Jaws’s football intelligence, and his ability to articulate it, with anyone and it’d still be a downgrade.

12. pixelito says: Apr 11, 2012 11:39 AM

Hopefully she can add something to the game unlike Pam Oliver, who couldn’t name more than 5 starting Quarterbacks in the NFL.

13. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 11, 2012 11:39 AM

ronaldmexico says:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:57 AM

___________________________

I’m glad I’m not the only one that remembers that gaffe from the Orange Bowl game: Him mistaking the coaches holding up pictures of Michelle Obama’s face for Lisa Salters.

I could not stop laughing when I saw it on TV.

14. schoolinsummertime says: Apr 11, 2012 11:42 AM

1. totally agree with pisstol

2. I’m just so happy Michele Tafoya is gone!

15. duanethomas says: Apr 11, 2012 11:47 AM

Sideline Reporter:

“The weather is good and both teams look ready to go”
    “I just talked to the trainer and insert player out/coming back into the game”

“Coach said we have to play better/keep doing the same in the 2nd half”

“Back to you insert booth announcers name”.

Useless.

16. leatherhelmets says: Apr 11, 2012 11:47 AM

Has anyone ever listened to anything any woman has ever said about any man’s sport? If anyone has said yes they are either lying or stupid.

17. billinva says: Apr 11, 2012 11:55 AM

All of these so called sideline reporters are a waste of air time.

Most of the announcers too.

18. selldannysell says: Apr 11, 2012 11:56 AM

Lisa Salters is one of the more competent sideline reporters you’ll ever see on TV. And she is very attractive. This is a good move.

19. vincentbojackson says: Apr 11, 2012 11:59 AM

Is anything more over-thought than the on-air talent lineup for Monday Night Football?

Let’s face it, we’d all still watch every game if they put two 13 year-old girls in the booth to call the games.

20. keepitsimplestoopid says: Apr 11, 2012 12:08 PM

Can we have FOX hire her to replace Tony Siragusa too?

21. patsfiend says: Apr 11, 2012 12:11 PM

Anyone but Goose.

22. jjmaddog says: Apr 11, 2012 12:13 PM

That’s great. Anythings better than seeing Andrea Kremer in HD !!!!

23. tjacks7 says: Apr 11, 2012 12:17 PM

Booooo.. Should have snagged Samantha Steele, chicks smokin hot.

24. roadtrip3500 says: Apr 11, 2012 12:21 PM

I guess following Fox’s lead of having the second analyst on the field (Siragusa) would be admitting “we didn’t think of it first” by ESPN. “Kenny, Moose, and Goose” are one of the few good uses of three voices on a game.

25. qdog112 says: Apr 11, 2012 12:23 PM

There is a god.

26. paulitik74 says: Apr 11, 2012 12:47 PM

Jaworski is out? AWESOME. It was just too much with all 3. Now if someone can catch Collinsworth and Michaels doing something illegal and get Mayock and Nessler on Sunday Night Football, I will be able to tolerate Primetime football commentary again.

I can’t even play Madden anymore because of Collinsworth. I hate that smug douchenozzle.

27. dempsey63 says: Apr 11, 2012 12:50 PM

Female sideline reporters (in any sport) invariably want to know, “How do you feel…” or, “Describe your emotions…”

And the male respondents stare off into space and refuse to make eye contact, preferring to talk X’s and O’s without really revealing anything before abruptly cutting the interview short and bolting for the locker room.

Have mercy on us. Skip the gimmicks and allow a guest coach to analyze what kind of strategic moves both teams need to make.

28. schrutebeetfarms says: Apr 11, 2012 12:56 PM

Jon Gruden thinks she’s one of the best sideline reports he has ever seen.

He loves what she does out there, and really gets energized watching her do her thing.

Of course Gruden said that about every sideline reporter too.

29. jg725 says: Apr 11, 2012 1:04 PM

I still can’t believe that jaworski was fired, yet SOMEHOW – gruden still has a job – gruden is without a doubt the worst football broadcaster ever in my 35 years of watching football

30. cup0pizza says: Apr 11, 2012 1:09 PM

MNF is a mockery of what it was back in the day. Mike Tirico is hot garbage. The hiring of Salters does nothing to entice me to tune in.

31. longdrive2011 says: Apr 11, 2012 1:09 PM

This is soooo patronizing. When are we going to see a woman on the offensive line?

32. larrybrown43 says: Apr 11, 2012 1:11 PM

Originally, the sideline reporter sounded like a great idea. They would blend in, looking inconspicuous. When a secret play is drawn up or someone limps off they would get the info out to the audience instantaneously.

It quickly morphed into a coach answering softball questions with as few words as possible and never saying, “You’re welcome” to the reporters, “Thanks coach” at the interviews conclusion.

Nothing gained. Nothing learned.

33. jgedgar70 says: Apr 11, 2012 1:34 PM

leatherhelmets says:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:47 AM
    ______

No, not quite. If anyone says yes because they found the sideline reporter attractive, he’s neither lying nor stupid. He’s just a pig, like every other man. Men are pigs. All men are pigs. There are no exceptions. That includes me. I will pay far more attention to what Salters says on the MNF sideline than Tafoya says on the Sunday night sideline, only because I think Salters is pleasing to look upon, and I think Tafoya is not. At least I can admit to being a pig…

34. thcnote says: Apr 11, 2012 1:36 PM

How many coaches have wanted to punch a sideline reporter in the face? They are useless.

35. dlr4skins says: Apr 11, 2012 1:40 PM

I sure hope its not two birds with one stone: female and minority.

Why is this position needed anyway and why are the only options female or ‘Goose” Siragusa?

36. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Apr 11, 2012 1:43 PM

If they insist on a sideline reporter they can at least hire a hot one…and she is not.

37. hawkforlife says: Apr 11, 2012 1:54 PM

dempsey63, right on. When I watch football it’s for the football. I don’t care about a guys upcoming wedding or what it means to his career that his dad passed away. I’m not hard hearted but I watch football to get away from that stuff.

I haven’t watched a super bowl pregame in years because it has nothing to do with football. Sideline reporters are useless since we can see everything that goes on. Everything.

38. 13forgbp says: Apr 11, 2012 2:11 PM

Does anyone else see a black Michelle Tafoya….weird.

39. rpmcanes says: Apr 11, 2012 2:17 PM

Lisa Guerro’s bod was a tough act to follow.

40. Deb says: Apr 11, 2012 2:43 PM

I hate sideline reporters, but if we must have them, I’d rather they be ex-players who have the potential of adding something relevant to the conversation. (Then again … Siragusa suggests otherwise.) But they’re not putting women on the field to please fans like me, fellas. Salters may be a genuine reporter, but the Barbie Dolls are always for your benefit.

41. cuda1234 says: Apr 11, 2012 5:12 PM

When did the Estrogen Sports Programming Network merge with Lifetime, anyway? Every time you turn on the mother ship someone’s mother is on and I turn the channel to NBC sports. Hopefully they can stick to sports and avoid the political correctness!

42. kaiesko says: Apr 11, 2012 5:32 PM

At least CBS still gets it and doesn’t use these useless and annoying sideline/endzone reporters, male or female…2 guys in the booth is plenty.

43. bluestree says: Apr 11, 2012 8:31 PM

I’ve seen some of her stuff that was pretty good. As sidline reporter on MNF she’s not going to have a lot of control over what she cover’s.