Reggie McKenzie: No more trading of future picks

AP

The Raiders enter the draft without their first-round pick (traded to Cincinnati), their second-round pick (traded to New England), their third-round pick (used in the supplemental draft) or their fourth-round pick (traded to Washington). All of those moves were made before the arrival of General Manager Reggie McKenzie, and he says the trading of future picks is coming to an end.

At a press conference today at which he laid out some of his draft philosophies, McKenzie said Raiders fans shouldn’t expect the team to trade away any of next year’s picks to move higher up in this year’s draft order.

I do not want to trade future picks — especially high ones,” McKenzie said, via the San Jose Mercury-News.

So the Raiders’ first two picks will be their compensatory selections at the end of the third and fourth rounds, and the first of their regular picks will be in the fifth round. That means McKenzie won’t make a big splash this year, but he said he’s happy to ease his way into running the Raiders’ draft, a job that had previously been the domain of Al Davis.

“Coach Davis, this has been his deal since the Raiders were the Raiders,” McKenzie said. “I am the new guy. This is my first time drafting after a legend has been drafting for the Raiders for so long. So it’s huge. But I’m excited about it and looking forward to it.”

85 responses to “Reggie McKenzie: No more trading of future picks

1. I would note that he didn’t say he wouldn’t trade only that he “didn’t want to” trade, “expecially the high ones”.

We shall see what happens when the phone rings.

2. As a Chiefs fan, this makes me sad. Watching Al take the 3 fastest guys available, then trade away the rest of his draft every year was a treat.

After Marty left, we’ve rarely beat them even when they draft like idiots. If they start operating intelligently, they could be a nightmare.

3. Al Davis is legendary… And Al Davis did run the draft for as long as he has been a part of the team, in other words, forever… But it isnt like he is a draft genius or anything, following up Al Davis’ draft performance over the last 20 years is a low bar to hurdle, I would even say that any member of the Raiders fan base would be just as successful, if not more successful than Davis was. I know the die hard Raider fans are going to thumbs down this comment becuase I dared to take a swipe at Al Davis, but I am not trying to be disrespectful, he is a Hall of Famer for sure, but he was a terrible evaluator of talent. When it came to everything else, he was awesome

4. “I do not want to trade future picks — especially high ones,”
    ———————–
    Good to know. With how poorly Al ran the team in his later years, you’ll have plenty of high picks coming.

5. LoCoSu@%s says:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:24 PM
    I don’t know anything about Reggie Mc, somehow I think he’ll do just fine.
    ———————–
    All you need to know is that he was instrumental in making the decisions on the Packers’ draft, arguably the best in the NFL since Thompson’s been GM in GB.

6. This is disheartening news to hear. I won’t be able to blast the Raider fans anymore. They have a true GM now. All hating aside, good news for the Raider Nation, they have some of the most zealous fans. They have deserved better over the last decade, now get a stadium besides the Dump by the Bay.

7. Carson Palmer > 2 draft picks

This is all well and good, but thank God Hue was in charge at least long enough to get us our franchise QB.

8. I know Raiders fans everywhere must be excitedly debating who McKenzie might be thinking of taking with the 148th pick.

Maybe Andrew Luck will slide.

9. Good for the Raiders. Said it before, say it again: the league is better when the Raiders are relevant. Unique tradition, great fans.

~Ravens fan

10. As a Raider fan im nervous because i have a feeling that hes going to trade a star player to get some extra draft. picks,

11. calibear831 says: Apr 11, 2012 8:02 PM

————————————–

Go back and watch the interview. …

What are the chances of your trading into the first or second round?

You know what, there’s always ways of trading up, trading into, trading back. It’s just a matter of what you’re willing to give up, or what do you want to receive out of the deal. So, if a team comes to ask for something huge, just to offer me if I want to get into the first round but I got to give them my first born, that’s not going to happen. – Reggie…

12. It’s gonna take a couple of years for the Raiders to get straight at the minimum. That’s if they do very well with undrafted fa’s. Reggie’s starting in a hole, but he’s not a fool. He won’t keep digging. It may take some patience, I hope they give him the time he need’s to end a decade of mismanagement.

13. Grew up in buffalo watching this man play. Long time Packers fan. Raiders scored when Reggie walked in. He will do great things for their organization. Buffalo loves him, and Green Bay loves him. Great guy

14. While I think the Raiders made some terrible moves involving draft picks in the last few years, I still think the Seymour trade was a great one for Oakland.

15. Reggie’s a class act and will do a good job. Smart to not trade them picks. Better to also not waste them on reaches for guys who run fast.

16. if reggie trades any picks it’ll be trading down to get more picks. plan on seeing that for a few years raider nation. and more than likely he will alway’s draft the best player available. reggie was apart of building the packers. and for all the haters who will say they lost there first playoff game this year, they also won a superbowl recently too. good luck reggie and be patient raider nation.

17. Ease up on the Raiders guys, all the Raider fans still think they are loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and are a sure bet to win the AFC West this year. My favorite was when they lost Micheal Bush to the Bears in free agency and all the Raider fans were say that he is not that good and that he sucks. Gonna be fun to watch them win five games this year again.

18. jade amor says: Apr 11, 2012 7:43 PM

“Al Davis is legendary… And Al Davis did run the draft for as long as he has been a part of the team, in other words, forever… But it isnt like he is a draft genius or anything, following up Al Davis’ draft performance over the last 20 years is a low bar to hurdle”

Yes, you are correct on Al being legendary. But being a legend and being a “draft genius” has nothing to do with each other. Jerry Jones will go down as being legendary but I personally believe all Lombardi trophies he has is because of Jimmy Johnson.

I stand by what I said. Even with Al Davis as GM/Owner/God of the Raiders with crappy drafts (all teams do) McK has big shoes to fill and Raiders fans should ask a lot from Reggie.

19. Blues tree,
    Raiders are ready to win now. 8-8 a year ago despite being without their best player the last 10 games.

– Franchise QB in place? Check.
    – An elite playmaker and several explosive weapons on offense? Check.
    – A very good d-line? Check.

McKenzie brought in a coach who’s job will be to fix the defense. If the coaches do their jobs and the Raiders stay healthy then there’s no reason — as Carson Palmer recently said — they can’t compete for a championship this season.

This team is not rebuilding. It’s a team that should be in the mix this year, thanks mostly to the talent Al Davis drafted over the last 5 years and Hue Jackson’s acquisition of Palmer. Not to say Reggie isn’t a big part of it. But this is still primarily Al’s roster.

20. Hey pineapple head…you don’t know squat just like the average Raider fan! 5-11 and blackout city!

21. The funniest part about this is that 3 of these picks were used on QB’s (not to mention its not all they gave up for Carson.)

Raiders 2012 Draft:
    1ST ROUND: CARSON PALMER

2ND ROUND: TRADED (along with 7th round pick in 2011 to Pats for draft picks they used on Joe Barksdale & Taiwon Jones)

3RD ROUND: TERELLE PRYOR

4TH ROUND: JASON CAMPBELL

22. bigbillsfan says:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:10 PM
    Just win baby” is how they got into this situation!

You mean the situation where we have 3 rings and you losers have zero rings?…Yeah I know what you mean…

Late…

23. beedubyatoo says:Apr 11, 2012 7:44 PM

LoCoSu@%s says:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:24 PM
    I don’t know anything about Reggie Mc, somehow I think he’ll do just fine.
    ———————–
    ——————
    Great point. Another one is that Green Bay has been by far the best team at signing the best undrafted free agents. Almost all their castoffs make other teams. The Raiders need this talent when they don’t have any good picks. Watch them have at least 3 undrafted guys make the team. It’s Reggie’s way.

24. Actually this Reggie is of the same name but a different Reggie than the old Bills olineman. This Reggie played LB for the Raiders. Hopefully his draft record is better than Al’s was the past 20 years.

25. Not trading future picks is wise beyond measure. McKenzie was hired one off season too late. Oh well, at least the grown-ups are now in charge in Oakland.

26. Al Davis was a legend that can never be duplicated. Although the past ten years have been abysmal, the RAIDERS sit among the NFL’s greatest. The Al Davis- Ron Wolf- Ted Thompson- Reggie McKenzie lineage will ensure that the RAIDERS will maintain their tradition of greatness while operating under a contemporary football structure. The RAIDERS will be champions soon enough, Big Reg, an exRaider drafted by Al, will restore the franchise to greatness.

27. To all the Al Davis haters … the problem was not his drafting skills. Yes he had afew busts like JaMarcus and loves speed but how many others teams have had busts … half of the top ten picks turn out to be busts EVERY year.
    The problem with Davis was he DID NOT give enough control to his coaches. The coach was struck with some players who were a cancer in the locker room and was not allowed to get rid of them thus why the Raiders had new coaches every year. You cannot build a winner when you change coaches every year.

28. I saw Carson Palmer ruin the Raiders’ season and coach making deals.

Of course the picks were pissed away!!!

29. trubroncfan07 says: Apr 11, 2012 8:34 PM

Nice to know you will be watching. Nobody said Bush sucked. The worst any Raider fan said about him was he wore down once he became the lead back. He was a nice player, but it was obvious Oakland couldn’t afford to keep him. Is there any way you can keep up with the adults in the room?

30. I have been a Raider fan since 76′ and I have watched alot of Al’s moves. Not all good but so many were the best. I would say he was slipping in his older age and some of his decisions cost us big time. Reg M is going to be and is already showing himself to be someone to be reckoned with in the NFL. He is bringing an exhale of breath back to the Raider Nation and we w ill be hoisting the Lombardi trophy more then Pittsburgh again! Count on it!!! Just Win BABY!!!

31. Al Davis was a legend. He loved fast guys because he was stuck in his glory days of pretty much inventing the vertical game that is modern day football….your welcome D bags. Panther pro…go back to your lame team page and stop trolling the Raider news…or is your team that boring? You just stop by to spout off ignorant nonsense and then run back to Carolina…what are you twelve? I hope the Saints put a bounty out on you.

As for Al Davis…I admit that his later years were a struggle. He was a great man, but he was also an egomaniac and a control freak. That has been pretty obvious, I think. However, he did make some pretty good draft picks too…but nobody bothers to talk about them…just the busts. Whatever…doesn’t bother me a bit. I agree with Raideralex. The problem was the disfunction with the coaching. You don’t get to pick your staff, you can’t discipline players or get rid of them, and by the way….win now…or you’re gone. What? There was no structure or consistency. The inmates were running the asylum. There was a new warden every year, the prison guards were either clueless or ancient, or both…and Al was like the freakin ACLU for every player issue. I love Al, but his drafting was the least of his issues. In his older age, his keen football acumen, and intellect had left him…but his ego did not. That is what happened to the Raiders over the last ten years….and I have a great deal of confidence that the new regime will implement a solid course correction and restore order.

That being said….the loss of Michael Bush was indeed devastating for our franchise. He was the real workhorse, and Mcfadden is good for half a season at best…then what. I hope Mike Goodson can hold onto the ball and Taiwan Jones is way better than I expect him to be. I unfortunately, also agree with the damn Donkey fans that think we have issues at CB….newsflash Raider nation….we do. Lets not put the blinders on. Lets just cheer them on and hope for the best. It wasn’t an issue with Tebow in town. haha….but with a healthy Manning…we all know it’s a problem. San Diego and the Chefs have also made their teams better. The AFC West is not a division that will be easy for anyone to win next year.

Go Raiders…and Just Win Baby!!!

32. Can anyone say AFC Championship game? Cuz yer gonna when the silvernblak host all you other AFC pansies….Including you DONKIES!!! EYYY HAW…… You guys cant lose enough to satisfy me and you think Payton is going to get you a ring? Come on John! Really? How many times did you fold under the pressure on the big day? was it…..say….3!!!!!! Now Payton is your billion $ savior? Cant wait to see you in the Black Hole BE otch!!! Just Win Baby!!!!

33. I know it has nothing to do with the article, but I cant help myself in saying we dont need to worry about top pics or pics periood. Reg M will make it all happen just like he did in Green Bay! + I love slammin the DDDDDDDONKIES!!!!!! LOLO Just Win Baby!!!

34. Any bets the Raiders will be looking for a QB by the end of the season?? I’m no hater, but that trade for past-his-prime Carson Palmer… Jeez… Made me sick to my stomach… ah, man, giving up all those picks put them in a bad situation… I would probably at least look for a late round running back to help out DMC…

35. nflfollower says:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:42 PM
    Successful franchises don’t trade away their draft picks. Ever notice how belichek always seems to have a couple in the first round?
    ———
    Well, he traded the first round pick that sent Clay Matthews to the Packers, but he definitely does try to horde picks.

36. Love me some Jokeland fans. Always entertaining. Out of touch with reality, but entertaining nonetheless. Basement.

37. j0esixpack says:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:53 PM

Maybe Andrew Luck will slide.
    =======================

Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round, Einstein
    Marques Colston in the 7th.

hilarious commentary.

38. nflfollower says:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:42 PM
    ==============

No, too busy noticing them getting punked by the Giants twice in the Super Bowl. One in the undefeated year.

39. Oakland = Green Bay West.

Way to go Reggie!

Looking forward to the second Green Bay – Raiders Super Bowl (with similar results to the first)!

40. Sure Al Davis missed on some picks, but he hit as well. Critics seem not to evaluate Mr. Davis on his entire career; only the bad years. Even still I contend that the drafting wasn’t the major problem with the Raiders. It was the constant changing of the coaches was Al’s biggest flaw. There was no way to develop the talent when every other year there was a new coaching staff. Go ahead and tell me Darren McFadden was a bad pick. Jared Veldeer was a bad pick, Lamar Houston, Jacoby Ford, Zach Miller, Shane Lechler, Seabass were all bad picks. Even Gallery was a good pick, but had horrible coaching. And DHB is slowly progressing into a good player. Yeah I know there’s Jamarcus, but who doesn’t miss in the draft. Al wasn’t nearly as bad drafting as people make him out to be. He just couldn’t provide stability. He didn’t believe in chemistry.

Al Davis Forever!!!
    Just Win Baby!!!

41. too bad we are missing out on high draft picks. Reggie Mc would have nabbed a franchise player for sure!
    I am still oing to enjoy this one because we actually may look like a team who knows how to draft in the early rounds.
    I still have haunting memories of missing out on Megatron! and watching Jamarcus go off the board and seeing Al Davis’s brother rip up the pick they should have gotten instead of DHB. Don’t get me wrong I love that Terp but We could have gotten him later and still gotten a NFL ready player! Go Reggie and Go Raiders!

42. raideralex99 says: Apr 11, 2012 9:19 PM

************************************************
    You nailed it, Alex.

The ignorant masses don’t know just how talented this team that Al Davis built really is.

The change at DC alone will be a huge difference.

This team is already poised to roll through the division.

Bring it on.

43. autumnwind999 says:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:48 PM
    Carson Palmer > 2 draft picks

==========================

Don’t worry, Reggie. Raiders fans are pretty easy to fool.

For example, the Raiders fan above actually believes that Carson Palmer is a “franchise QB” and worth two high draft picks.

You read that right. So you can draft whomever you want, tell Raiders fans that the player is the second coming of whoever, and they’ll believe you as long as the Raiders crest is on the banner behind your head when you say it.

44. tatum064 says:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:29 AM
    j0esixpack says:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:53 PM

Maybe Andrew Luck will slide.
    =======================

Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round, Einstein
    Marques Colston in the 7th.

hilarious commentary.
    =====================

Not by the Raiders they weren’t

45. Obviously I won’t hate on our departed Al – he made great draft moves over the years but going into the checkout lane yes he did make some bad draft calls, that I’ll admit. With the new regime and attitude I can’t help but believe we’re headed in the right direction now. I’m still quite cautionary about Carson the Palmer, hopefully he works out and gets us some respect and some freakin’ wins.

But jah, I’m there too – in Reggie we trust.

46. I would soil myself if the Raiders and Redskins played each other in the Super Bowl within 4 years.

47. The coach was struck with some players who were a cancer in the locker room and was not allowed to get rid of them thus why the Raiders had new coaches every year.

=========================

Yup. We call them scholarship players. Thankfully with Al gone, and Reggie in charge of the roster, this will no longer be the case. It’s perform or else. I’m talking to you Slowmac.

48. At least the Raiders won their Super Bowls legally.

You can’t say that about the Pats and the Donkeys.

49. Being a Packers fan and following what Thompson and his staff did in the draft i will say this, Raiders fans you are getting a great GM, he helped us at putting our team together and any1 is better than Al Davis (RIP). Just be patient it will take a at least four yrs.

50. It’s amazing how all you numbnuts want to clown on Al Davis (RIP) for having no talent in drafting. Yet look at the long list of players either in or waiting to be in the HOF due to Al giving them a chance in this League, Oh and by the way, guess who drafted the GM of the Raiders?!?!

Kick rocks you internet know it all’s.