Janoris Jenkins: “Who I am on the field is who I am”

Janoris Jenkins AP

One of the biggest questions facing teams in this year’s draft is whether Janoris Jenkins will turn into the great NFL cornerback that he has the talent to become, or whether Jenkins’ off-field issues will make him a bigger problem than he’s worth.

Unsurprisingly, Jenkins says what you saw on the field is what you’ll get in the NFL.

“I made some mistakes,” Jenkins told USA Today. “I just want to show everybody that who I am on the field is who I am, and nobody can take it from me.”

Jenkins said that when he was kicked off the team at Florida for two marijuana arrests, an assault charge and a failed drug test, “It hurt me to my heart.” But he says that playing his senior season at North Alabama taught him some valuable lessons.

“I can’t take anything back,” Jenkins says. “Everything that happened was for a reason. I’m glad that it happened because now I can reach out to younger kids and tell them not to make the same mistakes that I made.”

If an NFL team is convinced that Jenkins won’t continue making those mistakes, Jenkins will be a first-round pick. But it remains to be seen whether NFL coaches will believe that having Jenkins on the field will be worth dealing with him off the field.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Janoris Jenkins: “Who I am on the field is who I am””
  1. backinblack67 says: Apr 12, 2012 6:58 AM

Pac-Man 2.0

2. faulkn22 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:01 AM

I know I’m in the minority, but I hope the Lions still take Jenkins in round 1. You can’t hit a homerun unless you swing, and if he’s not getting in trouble, the talent is undeniable.

Plus, rookie wage scale makes this much less of a gamble as it would have been in the past.

I say swing away, Lions. Unless someone more talented is available @23, but it’s doubtful.

3. barbarian9 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:04 AM

The more I read about him, the more I feel he is Pacman Jones 2.0.

4. bdfun400 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:12 AM

another high-character Urban Meyer recruit.

5. pa1856 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:14 AM

Lions should definitely draft Jenkins and he will instantly bond with the three picks from last years draft that have been arrested.

6. geatsromo says: Apr 12, 2012 7:16 AM

Man says “don’t do drugs, you won’t amount to anything”
    Boy says “I can play pro football”

7. jpb12 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:17 AM

… so he’s a prolific playmaker?

8. gotampabay52 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:19 AM

Teach kids what to wear a condom

9. bigwinintx says: Apr 12, 2012 7:19 AM

Sometimes you get a kid in the right clubhouse and you can change his whole perspective.

Put him in a clubhouse filled with bad influences and he’ll be a crime stat waiting to happen.
    Put him in a clubhouse like The Patriots, The Texans, The Packers or The Giants and you can change his attitude… Maybe.

Most teams won’t waste a draft pick on a kid with questionable history, this kid needs a team with a strong coach and staff and a group of older players who can rein him in.

He’ll most likely be picked by The Cowboys instead of what he needs.

10. qdog112 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:19 AM

I wouldn’t take him. He clearly doesn’t get it when he said:”I just want to show everybody that who I am on the field is who I am, and nobody can take it from me.”
    ********************************
    He doesn’t realize that it can be taken away from him. Just ask Sean Peyton. There are way too many red flags for a high pick. Third round or later – maybe.

11. petehemlock says: Apr 12, 2012 7:20 AM

Lock him in a room for a week with The Sound of Music on a loop and he’ll be fine.

12. EJ says: Apr 12, 2012 7:24 AM

I hope he falls into the early second round so Buffalo can pick him up. He would be an absolute steal in the 2nd, he has a very high ceiling talent wise. With leaders like Barnett, Sheppard and Dareus, this kid will stay straight as an arrow and have a successful career in the NFL.

13. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 12, 2012 7:26 AM

And if you screw up off the field, you won’t get on the field.

14. specialteamsposter says: Apr 12, 2012 7:34 AM

“…now I can reach out to younger kids and tell them not to make the same mistakes that I made”….Well, Janoris, you can start by talking to the several sons and daughters you already have.

15. crazycane says: Apr 12, 2012 7:37 AM

“Who I am on the field is who I am”

It would be pretty weird having someone in front of you back peddling the whole entire time you’re doing something and when you make a move he tackles you.

16. igotadigbick says: Apr 12, 2012 7:38 AM

As a Lions fan I’m 100% there with you Faulk. For all the reasons you described I think it’s a low risk high reward pick. I’m all for it.

17. ezmac58 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:42 AM

His agent fired HIM…that can’t be good. He’ll be selected in the 1st few picks of round 2.

Unless my Pats scoop him at #31…….

18. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Apr 12, 2012 7:54 AM

I don’t think he makes it past pick 20. Hell, Carolina at 9 is a realistic possibility because of this guy’s talent and the fact that Claibourne will be off the board. If you take away the character concerns, this guy is arguably the best cornerback in the draft. Some team is smoke-screening the media to try to get him to fall but don’t pay any attention to it. It’s a lock he is gone before the latter part of the first round.

19. waltdawg says: Apr 12, 2012 7:59 AM

Insightful….Reminds me of when Laron Landry was asked why in the world he would lift weights prior to a game. He responded with a very intelligent, “I do what I do.”

Really makes you think. I never thought that these guys could be so cerebral.

20. hahahadannywatkins says: Apr 12, 2012 8:05 AM

tbh wit’ ya… “If” Cox & Poe are gone, & Big Red can deal off Assante… i’ll be happy welcoming Jenkins talent via rd#1 pick. get our DT in rd#2.

21. hitmeimopen says: Apr 12, 2012 8:08 AM

This guy, and all the others like him, just doesn’t get that they can’t subtract ‘who they are’ of the field from ‘who they are’ on the field. I know that, for them, it’s inconvenient that their actions mar their reputation. Bummer, dude!

22. lionsfan415 says: Apr 12, 2012 8:09 AM

I’m not sure if I want him for my lions, I already see a scenario where Wayne County PD pull over a large SUV that a naked and drunk Lewan is driving with Leshoure, Fairley and Jenkins smoking doobies in the back. Get Johnaton Martin instead

23. mojodoa says: Apr 12, 2012 8:19 AM

He won’t get past the Pats.

24. bigbalz says: Apr 12, 2012 8:20 AM

“Jenkins said that when he was kicked off the team at Florida for two marijuana arrests, an assault charge and a failed drug test, “It hurt me to my heart.”
    **********************************************

Well, the kid certainly has a way with words. Seriously though, I don’t care where he gets drafted or what team he goes to I hope he pulls his head out of his ass and realizes his potential.

25. godofwine330 says: Apr 12, 2012 8:24 AM

He made all of those mistakes with popularity and no money. If you add money t0 it, hundreds of thousands of dollars then it will likely get worse. He is like Eric Wright was for the Browns a few years back, worth the risk in the second round, not sure about a first round pick. First round talent, but second round risk.

26. cubear34 says: Apr 12, 2012 8:38 AM

His baby momas probably have already contacted their attorneys and are waiting for their child support amendment. based on the long list of mommies he should be in court and bankrupt in short order. That’s a lot of baggage.

27. paulsmith107 says: Apr 12, 2012 8:47 AM

Being a Dallas cowboy fan and knowing how horrible our drafts and overall seasons have been I would love to have this guy. He is going to be the type of corner nobody throws against. So he has kids and smoked some weed he was a college kid. KID being the key word he made his mistakes he has been punished and admits his wrongdoing that’s that now let’s be smart and take this ki in round one

28. lionsplayoffs says: Apr 12, 2012 8:50 AM

Now at least half of every draft is taken by complete clowns like this guy.

29. dryzzt23 says: Apr 12, 2012 9:07 AM

SO JJ says he will tell kids to not make the same mistakes that he did huh?

I am sure that somewhere along the line, an adult relative told him not to make the same mistakes that that person made but apparently JJ’s response was “Yo dude I know wtf I’m doing, leave me alone so I can roll this blunt”

I would bet my retirement that this kid runs with the same crowd after he’s drafted, b/c he wants to “keep it real”, and winds up getting in trouble, which then of course would be someone else’s fault.

The NFL needs to skip this kid, he is not worth the risk

30. anactualnflowner says: Apr 12, 2012 9:09 AM

This is funny because Janoris, on the football field, “is who he is” and that is a pretty good football player. But his off the field actions also affect how often he won’t be on the football field to “be who he is”. In conclusion, there is someone who can take “that” away from him… the person “who he is” off the football field. Boom… Deep.

31. magnusantonius says: Apr 12, 2012 9:09 AM

It looks like his new agent is coaching him on what to say to try to improve his draft stock. It’s much too late though. First half of rd# 2 at best.

32. seanpmaher says: Apr 12, 2012 9:09 AM

I am who I thought I am…….
    wheres denny green? lol

33. rufustfireflyjr says: Apr 12, 2012 9:09 AM

No, Janoris, who you are OFF the field is who you are. Character is what you do when (you think) no one is looking.

34. scottieplongballs says: Apr 12, 2012 9:12 AM

Agreed Godo. Vikings badly need a talented cornerback but a nucklehead like this guy is almost certainly doomed to be out of the league in 4-5 years. I can see it now, Jenkins the pot head genius and cook the gf chocking community pilar.

35. crazycane says: Apr 12, 2012 9:16 AM

igotadigbick says: Apr 12, 2012 7:38 AM

Sorry brothuh, no such thing as a low risk 1st rd darft pick. In order for your team to be good, you need to hit on the 1st rounders. Being a Lions fan, you should know this more than anyone.

36. joeinoh says: Apr 12, 2012 9:17 AM

I can never remember this guy’s first name. But it rhymes with a female body part. Delores?

37. bhindenemylines says: Apr 12, 2012 9:20 AM

Drug charge.

Check

Assault Charge.

Check.

Failed drug test.

Check.

Cowboys will sign him.

And then after a few more off field issues, when they release him, the Bengals will pick him up.

The past predicts the future, right?

38. steelerer says: Apr 12, 2012 9:25 AM

Apr 12, 2012 7:01 AM

________________________________

really? Thats a bad idea after fairley and leshoure and a young clubhouse. Sorry there are some other CBs at the 23 spot who can contribute.

Drafting him in the top 10 to carolina is another mistake. He would be better off in a place with some veterans in the same position he plays. Philly,packers,giants all are much better spots for a guy like this.

39. nfl1818 says: Apr 12, 2012 9:27 AM

Almost saying the right things. Good luck to the guy. His kids need him.

40. pdkknelson says: Apr 12, 2012 10:19 AM

He also has 4 kids with 3 different women at 23 yrs old. Sounds more like Cromartie 2.0. Or should that be 4.0.

41. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: Apr 12, 2012 10:22 AM

I’m less concerned by the history of marijuana use than I am by the fact that he has four children from three different women at the age of 22. That, to me, represents a far more troubling pattern of behavior, and unlike the weed, he hasn’t acknowledged that behavior as a mistake, or rather a series of mistakes. I wouldn’t touch this guy if I’m running an NFL franchise.

42. jbcommonsense says: Apr 12, 2012 10:32 AM

Tell Jenkins, ”Any suspensions, any club-fights, any positive drug tests or any controversy that causes you to miss 3 or more practices, and you automatically lose half your salary.” If he agrees, then draft him. If not, he is already planning on trouble.

43. footballfan2004 says: Apr 12, 2012 10:33 AM

faulkn22 I would have to agree. I do think he has some issues, but so have some other great player like Randy Moss. I think his upside for the lions would be great. He is something that we need, I am not for taking the DE so early again in the draft. I know that we have people in the last year of their contact and we may be able to use them in the future, but our secondary is horrible. Idk how many people pay attention to the lions, but they need a corner if they dont get someone to go opposite Houston they will win less games this year. Berry is not a starter and they plan on having him start with the division they are in and the addition to Marshall we need corners and jenkins would be huge if he stays out of trouble.

44. usmutts says: Apr 12, 2012 10:43 AM

Jenkins will be drafted in the first round and go on to break all of Cromartie’s records.

45. realitypolice says: Apr 12, 2012 10:51 AM

Son, who you are when you are doing the one thing that makes you happy and/or gets you paid is not who you are.

It’s who you are when you are dealing with realities of everyday life as an adult that shows your character.

This kid grew up believing that all that mattered is what he did on the field. And when you’re talking about a kid, it’s easy to blame the enablers.

But he’s an adult now, and it’s time to grow up and realize that the content of your character is determined by how you live your life off the field.

PS- I am in complete agreement with ebby’s comment. I am far more disturbed by the 4 kids/3 moms thing. What does it say about our society that everyone is focusing on his weed use, which harms no one but himself, and not the tremendous burden he is potentially dropping on society if/when he busts out or goes broke?

46. uwsptke says: Apr 12, 2012 10:56 AM

It would be one thing if he were drafted by a team that has strong leadership in place, good lockerroom chemistry combined with a solid authority figure as the head coach (Patriots, Packers, but the Packers typically don’t take chances on questionable character-types especially early in the draft). But it’s another thing entirely to suggest that the Lions would be good destination. The head coach makes excuses for his players, rather than holding them accountable. They’ve been burned numerous times in the last few drafts by ignoring character and now they’re going to reap what they’ve sown. Stafford is going to be a good QB, but does he yet have command of the lockerroom? I don’t think he does. On the defensive side of the ball especially, I have no idea who the “leader” is. It can’t be Suh since he’s pretty well disliked by his own teammates, and not exactly the greatest role model on or off the field.

If I had to guess a team that would take him in the first AND get him to shape up, it would be the Patriots (and I’m not a fan). The Packers could get him to shape up, but they typically don’t draft guys like this early on.

47. 11jlacy says: Apr 12, 2012 11:02 AM

That kid is going to be a beast somebody will give him a shot n when they do lookout!!!

48. mhs8031 says: Apr 12, 2012 11:11 AM

You want to reach out to kids? Start with your own.

49. detroitrollin22 says: Apr 12, 2012 11:11 AM

Each one of us has made stupid decisions when we were inbetween the ages 18-21. Maybe he’s changed his ways and grown up. I hope he has for his sake. There’s nothing sadder than wasted talent.

50. damianx31 says: Apr 12, 2012 11:27 AM

“Drug charge.

Check

Assault Charge.

Check.

Failed drug test.

Check.

Cowboys will sign him.

The past predicts the future, right?”
    ————————————————————-

And what past would that be? Name the last player Dallas selected or had on their team that had that kind of rap sheet? Aside from Pacman, whom they gave up almost nothing for, gave no guaranteed money, and didn’t draft. Dez is immature, not a pothead who beats people. Go back to living in the early 90’s.

51. lombardihero says: Apr 12, 2012 11:27 AM

It is the lack of common sense here with this kid. What he is going worry about is now with a salary cap and him going to be hounded for child support by at least 3 mothers of his 4 kids all ready how much more out of pocket money for the first 4 or 5 years is he going to have to pay out with his rookie salary?

Bringing up 4 kids all under 3 is not going to be cheap plus these women are going to ask the courts for back payments and if the hospitals can also collect from him they will.

The Kid all ready has behavioral issues just wait till everyone wants his paychecks and he starts knocking up more women.

Broke and even more bitter is where I see this Kid.

52. svanablak says: Apr 12, 2012 11:30 AM

hopefully his contrition is sincere. i wont ish on him because he was a college kid doing dumb “college kid stuff”. hopefully he realizes that his opportunity is a blessing and he really does become a POSITIVE example to kids!

53. theytukrjobs says: Apr 12, 2012 11:30 AM

“no one can take that away from me”

That is a red flag right there. Whenever someone who makes mistakes talks about what others are trying to take away from them it is a strong indicator that mistakes will come in the future.

Janoris is the victim. People are trying to take his NFL career from him. Welcome to the NFL Pacnoris.

54. colinsnooks says: Apr 12, 2012 11:32 AM

Man if he can cover wide Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson well, who cares if he’s not good at covering his own Johnson?

55. cougarquest says: Apr 12, 2012 11:36 AM

Whoever said he has a multi-million dollar talent and ten cent intelligence is over valuing his intelligence.

The worst thing that could happen to him is getting drafted in the first round. It would validate in his brain everything he has done in the past.

Even after all he went through, his new coach went out on a limb for him. The coach found out less than a month ago this idiot was being deceitful with the him.

56. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Apr 12, 2012 11:43 AM

I’ll say this much…Preston Parker was also a complete moron I’m college and got kicked out of FSU, and he went to N. Alabama, same place as Jenkins. Hasn’t caused a bit of trouble for us and in an interview with him he truly did sound like a changed man.

With that being said, Jenkins was probably even worse than Parker, and that’s coming from a Gators fan. The Cromartie like behavior is especially concerning, and as we’ve seen from Josh Hamilton, even guys who truly want to change can sometimes relapse. It only takes one bad decision for these types of guys to lead to a whole lot more.

So even if N. Alabama did give Jenkins a new perspective, it’s still a huge risk because he’ll be taken first or second round, whereas Parker was undrafted. I agree with others who said that his future will probably be determined by the team that drafts him and the veteran leadership around him.

57. mistersmith22 says: Apr 12, 2012 12:00 PM

lionsplayoffs says: Does anyone remember 25 years ago when there was like 1 player like this in the entire league? The rest of the league was full of Jerry Rice, Gary Clark, John Elway types that did nothing but bust their a$$es.Now at least half of every draft is taken by complete clowns like this guy.

——————————

Nonsense. Remember the Raiders under Madden, winning Super Bowls but doing piles of drugs and getting in fights? Remember the clothesline tackle, how guys were trying to injure offensive players? Guys like Rice and Elway also played alongside Michael Irvin and Lawrence Taylor. But you forget that.

There were never any “good old days” ever, for anything. There’s just days, with old fogies cherishing the positive memories of their youths and calling it “better.”

58. birdsflynorth206 says: Apr 12, 2012 12:17 PM

Maybe he really has changed and means the things he says. Who are we to judge him? None of us are decision makers in the NFL, give the man a chance

59. bdshaffer20 says: Apr 12, 2012 12:30 PM

Chance worth taking! GO LIONS!!!!

60. reesesteel23 says: Apr 12, 2012 12:30 PM

Steal

61. db105 says: Apr 12, 2012 12:40 PM

Based on his history I’m sure he’s the type of player that makes sound decisions on the field. I’m sure he’ll be outstanding at managing his money too.

62. rc33 says: Apr 12, 2012 1:38 PM

—————————————–

Wow.
    The Texans? Really?

63. drexelvol says: Apr 12, 2012 1:42 PM

So, he is who we thought he is.

64. doe22us says: Apr 12, 2012 2:05 PM

Surrounded by enablers, hood mentality, i work with a lot of kids within the inner city and the trouble makers rarely if ever change. Add money to the mix and you have an inferno waiting to happen . I wouldnt touch this guy with a ten foot pole.

65. granadafan says: Apr 12, 2012 4:37 PM

Cromartie has a new young buck challenger for the most baby mommas.

66. 4ever19 says: Apr 12, 2012 7:07 PM

If there are strong leaders left in my beloved Colts clubhouse, I could see them taking him with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. Then they’d have the cover corner they’ve been lacking since they moved to Baltimore (yes, I said Baltimore – that was in ’53).