Legursky signs RFA tender, stays with Steelers

108869559_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Another day, another restricted free agent signs a one-year contract to stay with his former team.

Steelers offensive linemen Doug Legursky said on his Twitter page (via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) that Legursky has signed his tender and is now under contract for the 2012 season.

Legursky, undrafted out of Marshall in 2008, has become a key member of the line.  The starting left guard in 2011, Legursky also serves as the primary backup at the center position.

Injuries limited Legursky to 10 games (all starts) in 2011.  In 2010, Legursky appeared in all 19 games, with four regular-season starts.  He also started Super Bowl XLV in place of then-rookie Maurkice Pouncey, who missed the game with an ankle injury.

Legursky was tendered at the lowest level, giving him a $1.26 million contract.  If he had signed an offer sheet with another team, the Steelers would have had only the right to match, with no draft-pick compensation.

And yet neither Legursky nor any other restricted free agent has signed an offer sheet with a new team.

Maybe teams that would sign restricted free agents now don’t want to lose $36 million in cap space in two years.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Legursky signs RFA tender, stays with Steelers”
  1. fijabbersman345 says: Apr 12, 2012 2:08 PM

LeWho?

2. psmith7716 says: Apr 12, 2012 2:09 PM

I consider this a significant signing. Legursky will never be an all-pro – he simply comes in and does his best whenever called upon. In my mind, this guy is a true Steeler.

3. bears0492 says: Apr 12, 2012 2:11 PM

Seriously, its ridiculous. There is no doubt that collusion is going on here, and I don’t know why nothing can be done about it.

Then when you have 2 teams that try to break the cycle, they get extremely valuable cap space stolen from then and distributed to the rival teams like some sick Robin Hood experiment.

What the hell NFL, I thought you were better than this…

4. eggersthejerk says: Apr 12, 2012 2:16 PM

Other than Pouncey, that whole OL needs to be replaced.

It’s nice to see that the Steelers still don’t understand this and are willing to continue fielding an OL that is little more than a sieve.

5. fringetastic says: Apr 12, 2012 2:30 PM

Speaking of which, what is going on the Redskins & Cowboys salary cap issue?

6. 84sgl says: Apr 12, 2012 2:31 PM

I am getting sick of my steelers resigning these trash lineman. Legursky, while he really gives his all and you can’t knock that, he flat out sucks. He is short, small, short arms, and gets bull rushed often. WTF!!

Maybe it is a good thing I am no GM. I would just draft Wisconsin’s entire o-line and leave it at that.

7. jclii says: Apr 12, 2012 2:33 PM

Legursky is a serviceable back-up and I am happy to have him back. No one worry their pretty little heads, we will pick up a few more lineman in the draft. Colbert knows what he’s doing.

8. ottograham says: Apr 12, 2012 4:12 PM

Id prefer Legursky over Kemeoutu. And 84sgl I am certainly happy youre not the GM. Legursky does not suck by any measure. Though that is your opinion and this is mine. I find it hard to say he ‘sucks’ though.

9. ravenator says: Apr 12, 2012 4:47 PM

Wow this front office is weak.

10. zoidenflak says: Apr 12, 2012 5:19 PM

ravenator says:
    Wow this front office is weak.
    ———————————-
    I’d list all the championships…Pro Bowlers…Hall of Famers…etc. that this “weak” front office has produced, but my fingers would get hurty from all the typing…

11. Deb says: Apr 12, 2012 6:10 PM

Some very, very bizarre people are commenting on this thread.

If you don’t know who Doug Legursky is, you’re not a Steelers fan, so why would you care enough to comment on the re-signing of a backup lineman? It’s a good signing because this guy can play well–not woo-hoo top-of-the-line starter well, but serviceably well–at every position, including center. We need him for depth.

If you’re ranting about us getting some big salary-cap help because we’re signing guys like Essex and Legursky, you’re clueless. How much do you think we’d pay guys like Essex and Legursky? After reworking a lot of contracts, we were middle of the pack in cap room and in better shape than the Bears. Take it up with your money managers.

And ravenator, you’re just wishful thinking as usual. Colbert and Khan have managed our money quite well through the years. But dream on, hon. Dream on.

12. applecool1981 says: Apr 13, 2012 12:17 AM

I thought for a player to be a restricted free agent, he had to be drafted by a team and signed to a three year deal; I never knew that an un-drafted free agent could be signed by a team, given a three year deal, and become a restricted free agent. This is news to me; I guess you do learn something new each day.