Steelers look to expand Heinz Field by 3,000 seats

Pittsburgh Steelers Host Super Bowl XLV Pep Rally Getty Images

One of the strengths of the NFL is that some of the teams in the smallest markets are also some of the teams with the strongest fan bases. And in Pittsburgh, the Steelers are finding that they have a bigger fan base than they can accommodate at Heinz Field.

The Steelers always sell out their home games well in advance, and as a result they’re beginning the process of getting 3,000 more seats installed at their home stadium. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that at the Steelers’ request, the Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County has begun exploring the process of adding seats.

The bad news for existing ticket holders is that the construction project may be financed with a surcharge on tickets and personal seat licenses. Fans who already have seats may be the ones paying for the construction of new seats.

The good news is for the fans who want to get in and can’t. Given how rarely Steelers fans give up their season tickets, adding more seats may be the only way to cut down the size of the season ticket waiting list.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “Steelers look to expand Heinz Field by 3,000 seats”
  1. ken0west says: Apr 12, 2012 5:55 PM

I find it amazing that such a sad depressing rust bucket region can fill a NFL stadium. Makes me wonder if a team in LA is even necessary.

2. thebluu says: Apr 12, 2012 5:59 PM

Maybe they should bring in some of those tarp covered seats from Jacksonville. :)

3. mybrunoblog says: Apr 12, 2012 6:00 PM

Steelers have a had a rabid fan base for 40 years. I have never understood why they built Heinz Field to hold only 65k fans.
    Now they are making it bigger?
    Poor planning…..

4. daysend564 says: Apr 12, 2012 6:04 PM

Better do it now. Your team is going to stink this year, so you won’t sell them next year!

5. lbpackfan says: Apr 12, 2012 6:07 PM

Very cool!

Steeler nation is pretty sweet…great fans, great franchise!

Congrats to them

6. Deb says: Apr 12, 2012 6:20 PM

kenowest, I don’t live in Pittsburgh, but the area is consistently named one of the best places to live in the country. L.A. … not so much. Maybe you should travel more or stop relying on ancient stereotypes. Or maybe just take your head out of your backside.

7. jjmaddog says: Apr 12, 2012 6:20 PM

I say make the future fans pay for the expansion. If they want season tickets, let them pony up for PSLs now on a payment plan earmarked for expansion. Why make existing fans pay for it?

8. tedmurph says: Apr 12, 2012 6:25 PM

How about a one tooth minimum section.

9. phillyphan72 says: Apr 12, 2012 6:32 PM

It’s amazing how current ticket holders might have to foot the bill.That’s BS!! The NFL feels like they got their fans by the nuts.The Steelers and the NFL can more than afford 2 pay for the expansion.I love the NFL but I can’t wait for the day when they are begging fans to come to the stadium because that’s what it’s headed for.Greedy billionaire owners then can shove it.

10. pizzon says: Apr 12, 2012 6:40 PM

they should add 10thousand more seats.

11. sumoson says: Apr 12, 2012 6:54 PM

They should hire seating solutions , the company that messed up the temporary seating in dallas for the superbowl LMAO

12. steelersarewhatfootballisabout says: Apr 12, 2012 7:03 PM

I’d rather have a franchise that is smart in how they make being at the games a premium regarding available seating than say, oh, lessee here, a certain team up in western NY that has had that ballpark estimate 80,000 seat stadium that easily starts having 5,000 or more no shows when the team isn’t doing well.
    It wasn’t poor planning, it was taking into account that where the tradition of having the new stadium located, meant still being close to the confluence of the 2 rivers converging. And when it rains flood level stage in northern tributaries flowing down to Pittsburgh, the waters would start to bark at Three Rivers Stadium. It even would come into the stadium if it was high enough.
    Plus, you have fans coming in from WV, OH, western NY, and central PA to make it to games. For those that already have season tickets, or score ‘em off the street/use Stub Hub, it makes the opportunity to be at a game and support the team even sweeter.

13. EJ says: Apr 12, 2012 7:11 PM

Where are they going to fit 3000 more seats in there? They look cramped already, I wonder how there gonna pull this off?

14. bhindenemylines says: Apr 12, 2012 7:16 PM

Hope they’re contacting Daniel Snyder. Rumor has it he’s got some extra seats laying around somewhere.

15. mkepackfan says: Apr 12, 2012 7:25 PM

@ EJ – They’re going to make all their season ticket holders lose 2 inches off their waistline and then install smaller seats so they have more room for new ones.

16. jjmaddog says: Apr 12, 2012 7:32 PM

What’s 335 feet long and has three teeth ?

Front row at Heinz field !!!!!

17. juststeel says: Apr 12, 2012 7:44 PM

Sounds like envy to me.

18. donny1rodriguez says: Apr 12, 2012 8:02 PM

You would think the article/blog entry would at least mention how many Heinz field can currently hold and make a point that 65k seats have been insufficient for years. But, its PFT you can’t expect much…

19. virusgvr says: Apr 12, 2012 8:03 PM

I have a great idea… Charge each fan an extra 250.00 for “stock in the company” and you have your seating issue paid for… Has this been done before?

20. t8ertot says: Apr 12, 2012 8:08 PM

More room for bengals fans!

21. rcali says: Apr 12, 2012 8:29 PM

Are those seats being built to hold Big Ben’s girlfriends?

22. joemammy says: Apr 12, 2012 8:32 PM

If the female Steelers fans were more normal-sized, they wouldn’t have to add 3,000 seats.

23. bozosforall says: Apr 12, 2012 8:37 PM

daysend564 says:
    Apr 12, 2012 6:04 PM

__
    Unlike the bandwagon Patriots fan base, Steeler fans will still go to the games, win or lose.

24. bozosforall says: Apr 12, 2012 8:38 PM

mkepackfan says:
    Apr 12, 2012 7:25 PM

__
    Meanwhile, Green Bay is adding space by making Packer fans leave their sheep/sex partners at home.

25. sdiegosteel says: Apr 12, 2012 8:39 PM

Depressed Rustbelt? Get out of the 80s – Pittsburgh has been voted the most liveable city by everybody from Forbes to The Guardian to The Washington Post.

26. steeltownpride says: Apr 12, 2012 8:52 PM

Im guessing that they will close the open end of the stadium or part of it to put in the seats . Close it all off . Keep the fans noise in there better anyway .

27. riverhorsey says: Apr 12, 2012 8:54 PM

Close the other end of the field and the gaps in the corners of the stadium and they could get 15-20,000 more seats.

28. 84sgl says: Apr 12, 2012 9:45 PM

One thing I love about going to Heinz field is the intimate environment, the open endzone with the city view, the troubles that wind from the open end puts on the opposing kickers.. It is a great stadium and no matter where I sit, I enjoy the views. Buttttt, my dad has been on the waiting list for PSL’s for 16 years and something has got to give. Now you say you’re adding 3000 seats? LOL. That will not help a damn thing. Only 3,000? lol. you need to add 10,000 if you really want to accommodate the demand… We Steelers fans DO travel.. meaning, most of us do not live in the burgh but make our yearly pilgrimages every year anyway!

29. steelymcbeam6 says: Apr 12, 2012 11:50 PM

I’m a steelers fan that lives in Arizona but make it out to a steelers game once or twice a year….ive been to most NFL stadiums (except the new meadowlands, and whatever the panthers, raiders and bengals stadiums are called) completely unbiased, Heinz field is the most electric stadium I’ve been to. I went to super bowl 42 when it was here and it wasn’t as near as loud or electric as it is at Heinz field during regular season games!

30. quittsburghstoolers says: Apr 13, 2012 1:00 AM

EJ says:Apr 12, 2012 7:11 PM

———————————————————-

Simple. Just make fans buy tickets to sit on the toilet seats.

What’s the difference, they’ll see crap.
    Either in the bowl or on the field…

31. ppdoc13 says: Apr 13, 2012 7:52 AM

One of the only stadiums I have not been to. Reason- ravens fans can look forward to being spit upon, have beer dumped on u and be invited to brawl. It is a shame. I like to travel to different stadiums to see what they r all about, but I won’t go to Pittsburgh.

Sorry deb but it is the truth.

Nicest place with nicest people – Tennessee

Worst stadium- fed ex in dc

Most obnoxious people – buffalo

Been to 5 others and in general all good experiences, even Philly. But the reports on Pittsburgh r uniformly the same. Would love to visit but not worth the hassle factor

32. sudz28 says: Apr 13, 2012 7:54 AM

@steelymcbeam6:
    Where do you typically stay when you go to Heinz and how do you get your tickets? I’ve been a lifelong Steeler fan and really want to take my son to a Steeler home game this season, but I’m not sure of how to go about getting ‘good’ tickets or where a good place to stay (walking distance to the stadium) would be.

33. vincentbojackson says: Apr 13, 2012 8:05 AM

Steeler’s fans already have extra seats to see their team once each season.

It’s called Paul Brown Stadium.

34. joewilliesshnoz says: Apr 13, 2012 9:01 AM

Another moneymaker for the Rooney’s , that the Rooney’s don’t want to pay for, so what else is new ???

35. steelersmichele says: Apr 13, 2012 9:18 AM

joemammy. when you can’t think of anything smart to say, insult women. you sound like a real winner. but just to prove you wrong, I am a normal-sized steeler fan who could talk you under the table when it comes to football.

36. steelerfannomatterwhat says: Apr 13, 2012 10:54 AM

———

What an ignorant statement from a Ravens fan. What do you expect from a fan base that decides to follow a team that left their original city and screwed their fans by moving when the same thing happened to themselves years before. Whats wrong, the Redskins were not that good for you to like?
    Fans of other teams are treated with respect at Heinz Field. Make the trip and you will see it first-hand, hon!!

37. steelerfannomatterwhat says: Apr 13, 2012 10:56 AM

vincentbojackson says:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:05 AM
    Steeler’s fans already have extra seats to see their team once each season.

It’s called Paul Brown Stadium.
    —————-
    Actually, Steelers fans have extra seats to see their team every game of the season at whatever stadium they play in. It is called Steeler Nation and it is coming to a stadium near you.

38. daysend564 says: Apr 13, 2012 11:29 AM

@sudz28

Save your money this season man, 5-11 is the best you are going to see. Don’t make your son see you cry. Maybe look to see if they play the Colts, good as chance as any to get a win.

Defense was too old last season, no changes
    Your best (only) RB may not even play this year
    Your only WR wants out

It is going to be a long season.

39. mmmpierogi says: Apr 13, 2012 2:02 PM

ken0west says: Apr 12, 2012 5:55 PM

************************************************************

No offense, pal, but you’re kind of wrong. I grew up in metro Pittsburgh in the 1980′s and 1990′s. I then moved to the Midwest for graduate school in a Great Lakes area, and the “rustbelt depression” experience is different, to the point where it’s not all that comparable (e.g., in how extensive it is … how it looks, feels, affects people, etc.). Pittsburgh definitely has some rustbelt characteristics (e.g., areas of urban that haven’t yet been rebuilt after people left, specific areas that have a depressing feel) and you can find other negative things that characterize that region, but “sad depressing rust bucket region” isn’t really a great descriptor.

40. Deb says: Apr 13, 2012 8:08 PM

@ppdoc13 …

I heard similar stories about Baltimore from a Texas fan who’d gone to a Pittsburgh/Ravens game with a friend and saw your fans abusing an elderly couple wearing Steelers gear. The NFL may be my first love, but when it comes to getting up close and personal, think I prefer NCAA games. And for that, Tennessee is not a great venue unless you’re a home fan :)

41. jordanaires says: Apr 14, 2012 6:47 AM

When I was a Steelers fan (pre-Rapelisberger) and visited M&T bank stadium, I had a great time and was treated well. I came in full Steelers gear. Sure I got booed a bit – even by an old lady! – but it was a hoot!

42. jordanaires says: Apr 14, 2012 6:48 AM

I agree that FedEx field is a dump. It needs a refresh in the worst way.

43. sudz28 says: Apr 16, 2012 8:22 AM

@daysend64:
    I appreciate your concern, but if you wish to make an over/under wager on that 5-11 mark for the coming season please send me your particulars and we’ll set something up. The defense finished 1st in passing yards allowed and 1st for total defense; if that’s old and slow, I’ll be happy with another season of the same.

I think a shakeup at RB is going to be a GOOD thing, Mendenhall had long since outlived his usefulness so I’m excited to see what may happen there.

If Wallace leaves the team then Brown and Sanders are more than ready to step up to the plate. Looking forward to yet another playoff appearance next year!

44. sudz28 says: Apr 16, 2012 8:59 AM

@ppdoc13:
    That’s too bad you had such a horrible experience, I’ve heard from a Raiders/Ravens fan (no less) that when he goes to Heinz he finds it one of the better places to visit (he follows the Raiders there any time they visit).

Personally I’ve only been to two NFL games in my life, and one of them was a Steelers/Ravens game in Baltimore. I was wearing all my Steelers stuff of course. The fans around me were nice enough at first, but as the Steelers took the lead and the Ravens fan got drunker, they got more obnoxious and rowdy. The highlight was watching two college-aged girls(!) who were Steelers fans having to be escorted out by Security as Ravens fans threw beer and food at them on their way out.

“Stay classy, Baltimore!”