A.J. Smith ready to make deals in the draft

A.J. Smithangry AP

Chargers General Manager A.J.Smith has always enjoyed wheeling and dealing at draft time, and he says this year will be no exception.

We’re wide open,” Smith told U-T San Diego on Thursday. “We have been always since I’ve been here, and we’ve done everything. We’ve gone up in the attack. We’ve bailed out in the past, and we’ve stayed where we are. It depends on circumstance.”

The Chargers have all seven of their picks plus a compensatory pick in the seventh round, and Smith says he’s ready to go up or down to get value. The one thing he’s not willing to do, however, is rush to make a trade while they’re on the clock. Smith says executives on other teams know not to call him if there’s not time to think it through.

“Don’t bother with three minutes left or less,” Smith said, “to run some concocted idea that you may have because you’re ready to do something and you’re presenting your case. I’m not interested. I’ve been very consistent with that. I like [to trade], prior to a cut-off. I’ve had a few [offers] along the way from people who don’t understand, more so in the past. But when you’ve been on the job long enough and we all know each other, they pretty much know that ‘let’s just skip the Chargers. Don’t even make that call even though you’d like to do that. It’s too late.’”

So, other NFL general managers, Smith wants to hear your trade offers. But he doesn’t want to be rushed.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
27 Responses to “A.J. Smith ready to make deals in the draft”
  1. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 13, 2012 11:36 AM

If he doesnt have the smarts to figure out if a deal is fair or not within 3 minutes then he should not have a job as G.M. of an NFL team.

Many deals are spontaneous and are done in bang-bang time frames. If A.J. doesn’t have the mental capacity to think quickly that is hurting his employer. This may explain why the Chargers keep letting good players leave and getting nothing in return.

2. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 13, 2012 11:41 AM

Zero rings.

3. daysend564 says: Apr 13, 2012 11:41 AM

This guy is one of the worst GMs in the league.

If there is a guy we really want and he falls to you; if you guys want to give us a chance at him don’t call me.

Hopefully other GMs will give you the same respect. Don’t call us if that guy you covet falls enough for you to consider making an offer.

4. mikeinsanfran says: Apr 13, 2012 11:43 AM

The lord of no rings speaks….. The Chargers championship window closed after the 2009 seasons. Sorry Mr. Smith.

5. east96st says: Apr 13, 2012 11:45 AM

How does this arrogant ass still have a job? How many Lombardi trophies has AJ’s “my way is the only way” philosophy brought to San Diego?

6. wrathofgodzilla says: Apr 13, 2012 11:53 AM

Like the Tim Tebow trade up? That was bang-bang and it worked out great for Denver……………. Have any other bang-bang examples that have changed the face of football, Kathy?

7. siaaa says: Apr 13, 2012 12:14 PM

chargers will suck once again and him and Norv will be gone before the end of the season. you know that felt as good as a wet dream..

8. r0b1b0y says: Apr 13, 2012 12:22 PM

and you guys call Sean Payton arrogant

9. indywilson40 says: Apr 13, 2012 12:25 PM

A jets fan calls out the Chargers GM for “no rings”. What is the world coming to?

10. andrewfbrowne says: Apr 13, 2012 12:34 PM

Guy has not been anywhere near as good since Marty Schottenheimer and Buddy Nix left. I find it no coincidence that Buffalo drafts have gotten a lot better since Buddy got there and San Diego’s got a lot worse. AJ is in trouble if he does not hit a homerun in the draft this year.

11. 1985bears says: Apr 13, 2012 12:35 PM

…and Marty continues to shake his head in disgust.

12. elifan4life says: Apr 13, 2012 12:35 PM

The worst Gm in football, he alienates players, now he is alienating other General Managers Now you see why Eli did not want to play there??

13. raiderapologist says: Apr 13, 2012 12:38 PM

Me need time to think. Me no want trade with you.

14. xpensivewinos says: Apr 13, 2012 12:53 PM

It really is an unbelievably stupid comment.

Without being able to predict who may trade to get in front of you at the last minute……or who may fall unexpectedly to you (that another team may desperately want), how can he not be quick enough on his feet to think an offer through……..cuz if someone is calling you, chances are you’ve got them over a barrel already.

Ah well, I guess his track record speaks for itself.

15. geo1113 says: Apr 13, 2012 1:02 PM

kathyisintheroom says:
    Many deals are spontaneous and are done in bang-bang time frames.
    ———————–

How do you know this? Have you ever made a trade in the first round of the NFL draft?

Example: There are three minutes until SD has to make the 18th selection. Out of the clear blue sky, Green Bay calls up and says hey we will give you our #28 pick plus our 3rd and 4th round picks to move up. What do you do?

16. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 13, 2012 1:24 PM

geo1113 says:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:02 PM
    kathyisintheroom says:
    Many deals are spontaneous and are done in bang-bang time frames.
    ———————–

I tell them I want the #28 plus their 2nd rounder, plus next years 2nd rounder. Tell them they have 10- seconds to accept or I’m hanging up. I also ask them if they ever heard of a Mel Kiper wannabe named geo1113?

That took me less than a minute to decide and type.
    buh bye

17. oldbyrd says: Apr 13, 2012 1:24 PM

Sorry A J, its called football. That’s the way it often works.

18. ravensgrl says: Apr 13, 2012 1:30 PM

wrathofgodzilla says:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:53 AM
    __________

Last time I checked, Denver was in the playoffs with Tebow…

19. nard100 says: Apr 13, 2012 1:38 PM

If I hired Norv Turner to get me a ring, I’d probably turn over a new leaf too on timeframes. That was definitely a decision that could have used a little more time.

20. mullman7675 says: Apr 13, 2012 1:53 PM

I love AJ Smith. I think the Spanos clan should reward him with a lifetime contract. He has mastered the art of underachieving, that has to count for something.
    Meanwhile, in Oakland, Big Reg is handling business like a champ.

21. jimthebuilder27 says: Apr 13, 2012 2:10 PM

Seriously, how does the Lord of No Rings still have a job? Ideas anyone?

22. largent80 says: Apr 13, 2012 2:13 PM

I am now dumber for having read what Kathyisintheroom just wrote. I award her no points, and may God have mercy on her soul.

23. jameslongstaffe says: Apr 13, 2012 2:19 PM

I don’t see how making last minute spontaneous trades is a great philosophy. If there was a truly amazing offer, I am sure it would find its way thru. I should hope that 3 minutes prior to a major commitment towards a player, that you have prepared to that point & are comfortable moving forward. So there:)

24. dasmol says: Apr 13, 2012 2:57 PM

The guys is an ass, no doubt about it. But it’s funny to watch the hate try to twist something so basic. He’s just putting it out the. “The Chargers have a lot of picks, if you want to trade, call me. But not at the last second.” Seems pretty reasonable, and now the message is offically out.

–raiderapologist says:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:38 PM
    Me need time to think. Me no want trade with you.–

Classic Caveman GM. Well done. With your team’s new GM, Coach and overall vibe, I look forward to our two contests this season.

25. dukemarc says: Apr 13, 2012 3:36 PM

“let’s just skip the Chargers. Don’t even make that call even though you’d like to do that. That A.J. is an a-hole”

Fixed

26. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 13, 2012 3:57 PM

largent80 says:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:13 PM

***********************************

Sweetheart you were dumber the moment you realized you were the only 15yo still in the 3rd grade.

God have mercy on your offspring

27. nflhof says: Apr 13, 2012 5:50 PM

Kathy was that you making the trade with the Bears and Ravens last year as the clock expired and then lost your pick for lagging?