Raiders under Reggie McKenzie not interested in Hard Knocks

137985404_crop_650x440 Getty Images

The new-look Raiders have adjusted in many ways their approach to the media.  Transactions are now announced via press release, not through a subtle update to the transactions page on the team’s website, days after the transaction occurs.  Also, players and coaches are available for interviews, more than ever before.

But glasnost has its limits.  New G.M. Reggie McKenzie has no interest in embracing Hard Knocks.

I like Raider business to stay Raider business, that’s all,” McKenzie said recently, according to Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com.  “You want people to be comfortable, let their guard down and not have that group here.  I think that would be a little different.  Players and coaches act a little different when TV cameras are rolling.”

Gutierrez writes that HBO, which reportedly has offered the gig to the Falcons, would have been interested in the Raiders, and that the team would have been far more inclined to do it under former coach Hue Jackson.

“If you ask me, I say, ‘No,'” McKenzie said. “I wouldn’t want to have HBO here, but I’m sure some of the players [might], and I don’t know if coach [Dennis Allen] would want to have those guys here.  Don’t ask me because my answer is, ‘Stay away.'”

Plenty of teams will always take that position, no matter how popular the assignment becomes.  Still, the NFL and HBO will have a hard time following the Jets and Rex Ryan — and the only teams that would generate widespread interest in 2012 are the Jets, Saints, Broncos, Colts, and perhaps the Redskins.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Raiders under Reggie McKenzie not interested in Hard Knocks”
  1. joetoronto says: Apr 13, 2012 1:42 PM

“I like Raider business to stay Raider business, that’s all,” McKenzie said

Too bad for the media, who thought they’d finally have access to the Raiders. :)

2. h3min1230 says: Apr 13, 2012 1:43 PM

Love the ‘fro!

3. bozosforall says: Apr 13, 2012 2:00 PM

Another smart move, McKenzie.

4. jaimelh02 says: Apr 13, 2012 2:01 PM

Reggie McKenzie has the presence of a Tony Saprano. He’s already whacked Hugh Jackson, Stanford Routt and Kamerion Wimbley. You definitely don’t want to get on his bad side.

5. raiduhdude says: Apr 13, 2012 2:02 PM

Especially after being humbled last year… good call Reg.

6. rolltide510 says: Apr 13, 2012 2:05 PM

Hue Jackson would have totally gone for it, provided they renamed the show Hue Knocks, or maybe The Hue Jackson Show with Special Guests The Oakland Raiders.

7. LoCoSu@%s says: Apr 13, 2012 2:06 PM

Raiders are all about business now. Very good for the NFL

8. mullman7675 says: Apr 13, 2012 2:10 PM

Big Reg is the man. Take that HBO circus elsewhere, the Raiders are in the business of winning the AFC West and hurting some feelings in the postseason

9. blackdonnelly says: Apr 13, 2012 2:18 PM

I like it (Reggie’s attitude – still out in the weeds about the ‘fro) I think it’s best to keep it all in house – let the Raiders sort what needs sorted and keep the media out of it. Let the Nyets have the HBO cams trained on them (again) after all what harm would there be? HBO’s version of Circus Time? Maybe it’s me, but every time I think of the Jets “HR Pufnstuf” pops into my head – maybe I need psychiatric help (LOL)

10. nbcwantsitsmoneyback says: Apr 13, 2012 2:24 PM

I think that is ridiculous saying that they are the only teams that would generate widespread interest.! What about the Giants, Patriots, Packers, 49ers or Eagles? Those are all teams that would generate a ton of interest.!

11. castleofcheese says: Apr 13, 2012 2:25 PM

Looks like McKenzie is going to the Raiders into Packers West.

12. AlohaMrHand says: Apr 13, 2012 2:28 PM

in all fairness even under Davis they’d of never done Hard Knocks.Which is a shame because that would have been some great TV seeing Al meddling and undermining the coaches.

13. copdoc says: Apr 13, 2012 2:34 PM

Maybe you missed it. It said, the media will have MORE access than it did before, but I suspect the Raiders will not be “open” more or less than any other team. ALL teams like to keep things “in-house.”

14. wetpaperbag3 says: Apr 13, 2012 2:35 PM

This is old news. This was already reported on two days ago (McKenzie’s press conference). Slow news day? LOL

On other news…Go RAIDERS!

15. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 13, 2012 3:11 PM

Too bad, with Reggie’s looks, he could have been a huge star.

16. brettfavresmidget says: Apr 13, 2012 3:11 PM

Al Davis’ corpse if flabbergasted.

17. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Apr 13, 2012 3:17 PM

DAMNIT!

(Flips table)

18. hsatpft says: Apr 13, 2012 3:21 PM

The Raiders need to clean up the dysfunctional relationship between the coaches & the players before they let the film crews into camp. Dennis Allen is a rookie head coach & has enough to worry about.
    A year or 2 from now, the question is different – will Hard Knocks help the team? Has Hard Knocks helped or hurt the teams that were on it before?

19. gitchogameon says: Apr 13, 2012 3:48 PM

This site is always a day late and a dollar short on top of misquoting original stories and adding pure speculation that the masses here seem to run w/and spout their uniformed mouths of on some other blog.

Hilarious how Cheese-heds think the Raiders are becoming Packers west. Duh derp da derp…. Deeerp!

Al Davis drafted Reggie McKenzie and Marc Davis brought him back home. Where do you think you got Ron Wolf from?!?! Hmmm, seems to me, The Pack made a big turn mid 90’s after sucking hard for decades thanks to the Raiders and Al Davis!

20. jimmysee says: Apr 13, 2012 3:56 PM

Raiders = Green Bay West.

Good call, Reggie!

Last thing you want are distractions.

The NFL is *NOT* a reality show.

Way more important things on which to focus.

21. axespray says: Apr 13, 2012 4:01 PM

gitchogameon says:Apr 13, 2012 3:48 PM
    “Al Davis drafted Reggie McKenzie and Marc Davis brought him back home. Where do you think you got Ron Wolf from?!?! Hmmm, seems to me, The Pack made a big turn mid 90′s after sucking hard for decades thanks to the Raiders and Al Davis!”

*Brett Favre completes another Deep Pass to Javon Walker… Madden can’t control himself in a non PG manner*

22. rastaraider says: Apr 13, 2012 4:13 PM

In Reggie We Trust

23. oaklegend says: Apr 13, 2012 4:36 PM

Are you sure the only teams that would generate wide-spread interest are the Jets, Saints, Tebows.. Er, Broncos, Colts and Redskins? Last I heard the Raiders were one of the most popular teams in the world. I have no idea what that show would look like if the 2012 Raiders were featured, but if Hue Jackson were HC you could bet it woulda been entertaining.

24. efriedo says: Apr 13, 2012 4:52 PM

hsatpft says: Apr 13, 2012 3:21 PM

“The Raiders need to clean up the dysfunctional relationship between the coaches & the players before they let the film crews into camp.”

************************

They have all new coaches (save a couple of holdovers and Greg Knapp returning). They’ve had one minicamp. How is the relationship between players and coaches dysfunctional? Where are you getting your info???

This has nothing to do with player/coach relationships. It has to do with Reggie not wanting a circus during his first year as a GM. I’m willing to bet Dennis Allen doesn’t want it either…

25. stevenfbrackett says: Apr 13, 2012 8:04 PM

McKenzie has been impressive thus far. Raiders might just turn out to be a team someone outside of NorCal can rout for again.

26. dfwprosports says: Apr 13, 2012 11:29 PM

“the only teams that would generate widespread interest in 2012 are the Jets, Saints, Broncos, Colts, and perhaps the Redskins.” Your telling me a Cowboys, Patriots, Packers, or Giants Hard Knocks wouldn’t be extremely popular? That’s a pretty dumb remark.

27. silvernblak says: Apr 16, 2012 5:21 PM

There are other teams in the NFL! I get tired of watching just those teams play that’s why the NFL package is the only way to go. I love what Reg says and I have yet see him make a stupid decision… we love ya Reggie and Just Win Baby!!!