Gregg Williams helps with tornado cleanup in Kansas

Tornado_142953894-590x392 Getty Images

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been keeping a very low profile in the time since news surfaced of the bounty system he admittedly ran in New Orleans.  Williams recently made an unexpected appearance in Wichita, Kansas, assisting with the cleanup of a tornado that struck on Saturday.

He’s a really nice guy,” resident Scott Lyon told KSN.com.  “He went out and helped in a community he doesn’t live in.  He just wanted to help us.”

Lyons said he had told his girlfriend that it would be helpful if someone showed up with a chainsaw.  And not long after that Williams did.

“He was chain sawing, cutting branches,” Lyon said.  “He was getting his hands pretty dirty.”

Lyon didn’t know it was Williams until he made a joke about it.

It’s not entirely clear how Williams joked about it, but it would have been funny if he said something like, “You know, this chainsaw would have really taken care of Crabtree’s ACL.”

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
69 Responses to “Gregg Williams helps with tornado cleanup in Kansas”
  1. chawk12thman says: Apr 16, 2012 11:33 PM

No jokes like you suggested at the end of your blog would be good if he ever hopes to be allowed back into the NFL. If he doesn’t want to come back; then yes, that would have been funny.

2. everydayimfumbilin says: Apr 16, 2012 11:36 PM

I guess you could call him a ‘saint’. LOL

3. N JAIL U MY HOE says: Apr 16, 2012 11:44 PM

How much WIlliams put on the table for the tornado to take out Wichita?!?

4. 69finfan says: Apr 16, 2012 11:45 PM

Who cares what Greg Williams wants. He obviously didn’t care that opposing players wanted long term careers or that the NFL wanted the Saints Bounty program to stop or that Drew Brees wanted a better explanation.

5. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 16, 2012 11:47 PM

There’s my pickup truck, damn!

6. rubberinnertube says: Apr 16, 2012 11:48 PM

Quick! jason1980, make an asinine comment about how the SuperBowl still goes through the Taints this year!

Maybe if you keep saying it, it will come true!

7. kodakinvegas says: Apr 16, 2012 11:50 PM

Gregg Williams was wrong but so were his leaders and the mentors that that taught him. It like a domestic violence circle. The guy has kept his mouth shut, hadn’t denird or pointed fongafale, lost his job and I’n a moment of crisis he showed a willingness to help and extend charity. Were you out there Mike? Can you seriously put that slur I’n your story and not apologize? Surely, you’re better than that. You lead a lot of people with your ink, think about what you’re leading them to. You’re better than that. Sincerely. “KodaknRocky”

8. drewsg says: Apr 16, 2012 11:51 PM

Good for him, he’s still a dirtbag though.

9. nagaswan says: Apr 16, 2012 11:53 PM

maybe he made a joke about his boobs

10. ningenito78 says: Apr 16, 2012 11:53 PM

Great close out joke. Boy you guys are beating this bounty stuff into a fine powder.

11. nobby821 says: Apr 16, 2012 11:56 PM

He even paid Jonathan Vilma to come help break a few limbs.

yuk yuk yuk

12. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 16, 2012 11:58 PM

After severing the limbs from the trees, Gregg stood over them and said, “..and stay down, bitches!”.

13. blitzinc43 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:01 AM

Props mikey floorz.. that buzzed me out hahah

14. wrathofgodzilla says: Apr 17, 2012 12:04 AM

Maybe he said, “When I’m chainsawing I just envision that I’m attacking the head.”

15. petedutcher says: Apr 17, 2012 12:10 AM

Was probably there to survey the work of the tornado he paid.

16. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 17, 2012 12:10 AM

Let the get-reinstated campaign begin. Brown-nose away.

17. juliusanonymous says: Apr 17, 2012 12:18 AM

Boy, that Gregg Williams sure is a great guy.

18. CJ says: Apr 17, 2012 12:23 AM

That’s exactly what he said. Just ask Sean, he was hiding in the debris with a tape recorder. Audio will be on Yahoo by this time tomorrow.

Said something about dropping a house on Gore like in the Wizard of Oz too, but I don’t even think that would stop him

19. mjay424 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:26 AM

I live in Wichita and didn’t know Williams did such a thing. That might be for PR purposes or it might be him doing something he didn’t have to do to help others.

Regardless, he did it.

So that’s something positive.

Doesn’t excuse his past behavior but there are other places for him to pay that price.

He showed some humanity in this story.

20. fulanekiffin says: Apr 17, 2012 12:27 AM

Poor attempt at humor.

21. mjay424 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:29 AM

Just read the story. Williams was in my neighborhood, probably working a few minutes from where I live. Pretty interesting.

22. bushkl2006 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:33 AM

“Sweep the leg. No mercy!”

Florid or Williams?

23. coolgato13 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:36 AM

Just 1,000 or so more goods deeds to sainthood Gregg!

24. Dan says: Apr 17, 2012 12:36 AM

Oh what I would have paid to be the fly on the wall when he dropped the joke.

25. thcnote says: Apr 17, 2012 12:36 AM

Another broken punch line.

26. wadinmypants says: Apr 17, 2012 12:43 AM

Is it true while cutting the trees he was heard saying “take that Frank Gores’s head, and “Crabtree! your ACL is now severed in a million pieces”.

27. hannahsdaddy says: Apr 17, 2012 12:48 AM

That’s funny, I don’t care who you are.

28. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Apr 17, 2012 12:52 AM

Williams: ‘I just wanted to help the community.’

Lyon: ‘Who’s that guy with the chainsaw?’

Williams: ‘Did you hear about Sam Bradford’s horrific chainsaw injury?’

Lyon: ‘No, what happened?’

Williams: ‘He got the bounty!’

29. glebbak says: Apr 17, 2012 12:52 AM

Greg williams should take his skills and apply for a job at Home depot. he certainly aint getting a D coordinator job in the near future.

30. pacificnw7722 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:52 AM

“He was chain sawing, cutting branches,” Lyon said. “He was getting his hands pretty dirty.”

Then he spun around and told him if you cut the tree trunk the branches will die.

31. oister78 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:53 AM

Does anybody think this is a Public Relations stunt intended for damage control? Or is this dude really genuine about what he is doing? None of us knows Williams personally but we all do know Pro Football is a man’s game. Williams could possibly be a really sincere guy who really cares about people but the violent game of NFL Football has shown us a side of him that isn’t really his character. His job was to pump his defense up and destroy opposing offenses. He just went about it the wrong way and now he is paying the price. I kinda feel bad for the guy because he probably is a good husband, friend, and father but the stress & demands of his job were his downfall. The nature of his “crimes” were pretty bad because he called on his players to target certain opposing players and specific areas of their bodies to hurt but he still is no Jerry Sandusky.

32. footballsuperfan says: Apr 17, 2012 12:57 AM

My buddy and I were out helping our neighbors in Oaklawn clear stuff and Coach Williams kind of fell in with a bunch of workers and neighbors.

He actually spent the entire day with us helping with the clean up. He was with a guy and they had a Chevy truck with some chain saws and other gear to help move debris. He worked besides us and really lent a helping hand. The two of them didn’t say much, just jumped in and dragged branches and cut trees down. When we finished with a street or driveway or whatever, they just moved along. He stayed with us until dark.

I didn’t know who he was until my friend asked him if he was famous cause he looked familiar. We all were stunned when he said his name. For being a big shot NFL coach, he sure could work. Wasn’t afraid to get into it. I think he was just stunned by the damage like the rest of us.

I don’t care what people say, he helped my friends and family in our time of need and he did it quietly. I grew up in the country and from where I come from, that’s all I needed to know. Not many people can say that.

33. grannyvi4 says: Apr 17, 2012 1:03 AM

Well, it’s not like he’s got anything else to do at the moment. Still, it’s good to see him helping people instead of paying someone to hurt them.

Interesting that he let it be known who he was by making some kind of joke. Just couldn’t go there anonymously like every other volunteer; nope, had to get his name out there so that people would say “he’s a really nice guy”. (ya watching, Roger? Hint, hint.)

Sorry for being so negative on this “feel good” story, but the fact that he had to let someone know who he was tainted (sorry about the pun) the whole thing for me.

34. SkeletalDrawing says: Apr 17, 2012 1:07 AM

First of all, IMO that might be the funniest thing you’ve ever written on PFT. Second, I just want to commend Greg Williams. This doesn’t exonerate him for what he did, but I do believe that anyone should get credit for doing the right thing, and if he hopes to rehabilitate himself this is a good first step on a very long journey.

35. dannomac21 says: Apr 17, 2012 1:08 AM

What kind of trees was he cutting with his chainsaw?

Crabtrees.

36. commonsensedude says: Apr 17, 2012 1:31 AM

“Sweep the TREE. You got a problem with that???”

37. nolanorth says: Apr 17, 2012 1:38 AM

Stay classy mike!

38. jason49er says: Apr 17, 2012 1:41 AM

Greg won’t ever be allowed back in. Time to embrace the villain role and move to Hollywood.

39. gerard33 says: Apr 17, 2012 1:45 AM

good one, mike!

seriously, isn’t this a little transparent by the old coach?

40. talkintrashallday says: Apr 17, 2012 2:01 AM

Williams sent the tornadoes to do damage…

41. hedleykow says: Apr 17, 2012 2:07 AM

I take back everything I said about the guy. I like a man who offers more than phony apologies.

42. brenenostler says: Apr 17, 2012 2:22 AM

Good for him

43. razic3k says: Apr 17, 2012 2:27 AM

The G.W. PR effort begins. Won’t work. he’s Tarnished.

44. pantherdan says: Apr 17, 2012 2:36 AM

Okay…now go to Haiti for two years and work with amputees who got that way from having multiple breaks or ACL-PCL-MCL tears and no surgery thus no way to stop the pain except for emergency limb removal.

Hey fat Greg why don’t you go do physical therapy for 2 years more in Haiti for those quake victims with very mis-shapen arms and legs that were broken (sort of like Steve Smith after dirtbag Roman Harper’s way late hit…except without the med help Smith had) and allowed to heal without being set or operated on.

45. blancodiablo says: Apr 17, 2012 3:28 AM

Pathetic attempt at public reconciliation. “Hey, I’ll help cut your tree. By the way, do you know who I am?”. Just make sure you tell the press.

46. seattlerogueburner says: Apr 17, 2012 4:32 AM

Good for him for not dragging the press with him. Might not help his case in the NFL, but it’s nice he’s doing something not very many people would do.

47. cambodianbreastmilk says: Apr 17, 2012 4:48 AM

My sister lives in Nebraska and I pay close attention to any and all storm warnings throughout the plains.

Putting my ill feelings for Mr. Williams aside for a moment, I applaud you (GW) sir for you actions over this past weekend. Helping a town, city, and community along with the victims who have just seen their actual lives destroyed by a tragic event caused by mother nature should be somewhat eye-opening to you. Hopefully by witnessing the emotion taking place from others while helping, you can start to put into perspective the wrong you called for in the locker field and on the field.

48. phillyfinsfan says: Apr 17, 2012 5:48 AM

A real compassionate man if I ever saw one.

49. norcalirish says: Apr 17, 2012 5:54 AM

PR stunt.

50. rob0527 says: Apr 17, 2012 5:56 AM

At least he is being productive with his time.

51. mempusa says: Apr 17, 2012 6:25 AM

I’ll give you $10k if you take that knee,
    I mean TREE, out!

52. matt2calvin says: Apr 17, 2012 6:31 AM

The rehabilitation of Gregg Williams has begun. The better part of me believes that Mr Lyon has some connection with the Rams… If this found its way into the paper a week later, it would have been more believable…

53. emaimo80 says: Apr 17, 2012 6:51 AM

Greg Williams should be in jail, not allowed to have a chainsaw in his possession. He is a sick person that does not deserve a second chance at least in the nfl. If you disagree listen to the audio of him on YouTube.

54. londonfletcher says: Apr 17, 2012 6:52 AM

I wonder how much Williams paid the torado for the damage…

55. mjjoe76 says: Apr 17, 2012 7:02 AM

It’s hard to tell if Williams wanted people to know he was doing good and was trying to be subtle about it. If so, it sounds like he was a bit clumsy in his hints.

Before (or if) he is reinstated, the NFL probably wants to see actions that show remorse for the bounty program. Maybe Williams figures little good Samaritan work on the side couldn’t hurt.

56. metzgerf says: Apr 17, 2012 7:33 AM

I’m surprised the tornado victims let him help.

57. nookers says: Apr 17, 2012 7:58 AM

Every coach in the NFL has the same speech, this dumbass just got caught.

At least hes doing something good with his free time.

58. dmatt777 says: Apr 17, 2012 8:27 AM

Wow…u people are something else. Absolutely nothing good in you. The man made a Big MISTAKE. He has been let go, and paying for his mistakes.
    But oh no, that’s just not good enough for some of you. Everybody…including you:-) have made terrible mistakes along the way and need ed forgiveness and support.
    Most of us have lied,cheated, and deceived someone in our lifetime,unless you are 2 years old,which is how some of you act. For heavens sake. You folks damn folks if they do,damn them if they don’t. Just remember someone has forgave you along the way, do likewise.

59. jjbadd says: Apr 17, 2012 8:30 AM

You can tell that there are people on these blogs, that are just as bad as Gregg Williams, by their tasteless jokes. What he did was wrong indeed, but nothin he can’t get forgiveness for. He deserves another chance, because he is no different than anyone else. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion, due to the aggressive & neverending media coverage.

60. dmatt777 says: Apr 17, 2012 8:45 AM

Remember someone has forgiven each of you for SOMETHING, RESPOND IN KIND…
    You don’t know the heart of anyone,including your own. Some of you obviously have miserable,miserable lives. Get one for heavens sake. Put for once your self righteouness in your pocket, AND YOU GO OUT AND HELP SOMEONE. Oh you can’t …you are too busy gripin’ about someone who did.
    Stay classy folks.

61. tvguy22 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:11 AM

If I’m an ad executive, I’m trying to get Williams to do some commercials for Bounty paper towels.

62. footballsuperfan says: Apr 17, 2012 9:12 AM

@dmatt777 ABSOLUTELY.

I’m from Wichita and I didn’t see another NFL guy out helping. And Gregg comes out and does a GOOD THING and all that you get is sarcasm? Boy are we ever jaded. Thanks Coach. Whatever the heck the reason you helped I don’t care. It saved me a lot of work. Kansas appreciates you.

63. londonfletcher says: Apr 17, 2012 9:37 AM

dmatt777:

“lied,cheated, and deceived” ??

Last time I checked, lying does’t tear an ACL.

He went out of his way to try to FINISH PLAYERS CAREERS, and HURT people. I am well aware that this is a contact sport, but there’s a difference in trying to get guys pumped up before a game, and putting money on the table to hurt people.

People are still bashing Vick for the dog fighting. Williams is going to get it for quite some time. Count on that, and this is coming from a Skins fan. Don’t forget, he was DC on my team too..

64. kenny328usa says: Apr 17, 2012 9:46 AM

And by the way your still banned forever

65. arbiterflick says: Apr 17, 2012 9:52 AM

“helped out for around thirty to forty-five minutes before leaving to catch a flight to St. Louis.”

A whole 45 minutes?

66. dmatt777 says: Apr 17, 2012 10:25 AM

Londonfletcher
    Yes He Lied,Decieved. What have you done?
    We are NOT JUDGE,JURY,AND EXECUTIONER. Again, have you ever needed forgiveness? Sure you have.When I think about how some of you lie, cheat, deceive wives,husbands,children. But those things don’t hurt …right. You MISS THE POINT.AT SOME TIME IN ALL OF OUR LIVES ,WE NEED FORGIVENESS.Ever heard of it? Obviously not.

67. 49erstim says: Apr 17, 2012 11:57 AM

I can applaud his efforts without knowing if his reasons were genuine. Either way something good came of his actions.

68. beeronthefridge says: Apr 17, 2012 12:01 PM

Did he put bounties on tornadoes?

69. renaissanceman87 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:30 PM

The interesting thing about this whole Greg Williams fiasco, is that in the grand scheme of things, he barely did anything wrong. NFL players can assault, rape, electrocute dogs, murder, drive drunk and kill, and they get second chances to repair their reputation, and it’s simple – all they have to do is help their teams win, act remorseful, and the fans forgive them if they’re successful at it. The things they do OUTSIDE of football is repaired WITHIN the game of football.

Greg Williams made a big error WITHIN football, but in terms of the real world OUTSIDE of football, it’s barely worth mentioning. The man is most likely a model citizen.