Stafford calls Lions “a mature team”

Lions Saints Football AP

The Lions have followed a 2011 season in which they were one of the league leaders in stupid penalties on the field with an offseason in which they’re one of the league leaders in stupid incidents off the field. But Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford still maintains that the Lions are mature.

After today’s team meeting at the start of the Lions’ offseason program, Stafford told reporters that head coach Jim Schwartz talked to the team about offensive lineman Johnny Culbreath, defensive tackle Nick Fairley and running back Mikel Leshoure all getting arrested for marijuana possession. And Stafford said he’s confident that off-field problems won’t set the Lions back on the field.

We’ve come so far. We don’t want anything to hold us back,” Stafford said, via MLive.com. “I think everybody knows that. We’re a mature team. Obviously, some of the guys having trouble off the field were younger guys. They’ll figure it out. We’ll be there to help them along.”

Stafford said he expects to talk to the players who were arrested, but he doesn’t think they need him getting on their cases about it.

“You talk to them,” Stafford said. “It will come up at some time, but these guys are mature enough to understand what’s going on and what they need to do better to help us out.”

For a promising Lions team to take the next step, they’re going to need to show more of the maturity that Stafford sees, both on and off the field.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
47 Responses to “Stafford calls Lions “a mature team””
  1. jhart615 says: Apr 16, 2012 6:29 PM

…and immediately after saying this, Lions officials had Stafford taken in to test for a concussion

2. jeremywflores says: Apr 16, 2012 6:30 PM

Not sure what’s worse: Stafford saying that the Lions are a mature team or Flacco saying he’s the best QB in the league.

3. sbxxix says: Apr 16, 2012 6:31 PM

Yeah they’re mature alright! Just make sure you don’t pat any of them on the back after you shake their hands.

4. asublimeday says: Apr 16, 2012 6:32 PM

LOL

5. Soulman45 says: Apr 16, 2012 6:33 PM

THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS
    Are back at it getting ready to win the Super Bowl.
    49ers………21
    Lions………24

6. squared80 says: Apr 16, 2012 6:35 PM

Stafford has to say that, even though he knows it’s a flat-out lie. The team is characterized by their Napolean-complexed head coach. Both he and the team are as immature as I’ve seen in the NFL in years.

7. peyman18 says: Apr 16, 2012 6:35 PM

League leaders in stupid penalties?

When did they start to track that stat?

8. frankrizzo51 says: Apr 16, 2012 6:37 PM

Still a punk. I guess maturity means the increased arrests for pot must be due to eyesight issues.

9. matt2calvin says: Apr 16, 2012 6:37 PM

What did you expect him to say?

His role is to bring the team together. The other option is to act like the Boston Red Sox Head Coach…

‘Nuff said.

10. nflfollower says: Apr 16, 2012 6:40 PM

For the most part he has a point, likely talking about some of the veterans like Megatron, KVB, and the guys along the offensive line.

Every team has some young guys who are pretty dumb, this is the NFL after all…..

11. bearsstillsuck says: Apr 16, 2012 6:43 PM

I would like to know how he defines maturity.

12. stevenfbrackett says: Apr 16, 2012 6:50 PM

Saw no evidence of that last year — at least not with the Detroit Lions.

13. wabbitslayer says: Apr 16, 2012 6:53 PM

The photo above nicely captures the expression Stafford had to have on his face when he was told he had to say this…

14. dewalt2990 says: Apr 16, 2012 6:58 PM

I’ve found…you can’t assume anything. Fairly and Leshoure probably assumed they wouldn’t get caught. Now Stafford’s assuming they’re smart enough NOW to make smart decisions? I hope so…

15. bdshaffer20 says: Apr 16, 2012 7:07 PM

Believe it!!!! A few guys get popped and it pisses me off,but the guys who say we are a bunch of pot heads and criminals are idiots.Every team in the league has at one time or another had similar issues.YES even your favorite team.The best team in this modern era the 90s Dallas Cowboys had the White House and you wont here me hate on them ever.”The same thing that makes you laugh, will make you cry…..Who is your favorite team? Trust me I got dirt on them just sayin.

16. mjkelly77 says: Apr 16, 2012 7:17 PM

Soulman45 says:Apr 16, 2012 6:33 PM

THE GREAT DETROIT LIONS
    Are back at it getting ready to win the Super Bowl.
    49ers………21
    Lions………24
    _______________

Please quit posting this. The Lions and the Niners are both in the NFC, It’s impossible for them to meet in the Super Bowl. Although if they met in the Conference Championship I could see this being the score.

17. preparetowin says: Apr 16, 2012 7:18 PM

All these posts crack me up. Let’s give them there due there an up coming team in the NFL, no matter how many times most of you want to criticize them everytime there an article about them. But I guess, “Haters are gona hate”.

18. pacificamjr says: Apr 16, 2012 7:25 PM

11-5

19. greenandgoldgirl says: Apr 16, 2012 7:27 PM

LOLOLOL

20. mjkelly77 says: Apr 16, 2012 7:31 PM

Judging by all of the negative comments, I can only surmise that there are a lot of slappies out there who are now afraid of the Lions. When the Lions were the doormats of the league, chumps everywhere thought they were cute and funny. Now they live in fear that the Lions will punch the taste right out of their favorite team’s mouth.

Ndamukong Suh and now Fairley, too – Bringing back the ‘Black and Blue’ Division one hit at a time.

21. curtainclosed says: Apr 16, 2012 7:32 PM

Yeah man, gotta let those buds mature. Nobody smokes leaves anymore.

22. magnusantonius says: Apr 16, 2012 7:32 PM

squared80 says:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:35 PM
    —————————————————
    Have you ever heard of Rex Ryan? or the New York Jets?

I guess there’s a reason why you call yourself “squared”.

23. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 16, 2012 7:41 PM

With such a high turd quotient, maybe Matt meant to say “a manure team”.

24. Steelerbear78 says: Apr 16, 2012 7:45 PM

Says the quarterback that threw a player down by the helmet because he couldn’t get off a block to stop a defender after throwing his 4th interception. Refering to a team of punks and crybabies lead by Mr. Poopiepants himself Jim Schwarz.

Detriot Lions are going to be the most mature 3rd place team in the NFC North.

25. lionpride10 says: Apr 16, 2012 7:48 PM

The bias this website spews makes me sick. 10-6, 5000 yards passing (youngest player to ever do that), the best athlete in the game (megatron), and a few bad seeds and you tear them apart. Do you pray that Best will never play again Mr. Smith?

26. lionsfan415 says: Apr 16, 2012 7:52 PM

whatever haters, dont be mad because we made the playoffs and you didnt

27. hatesycophants says: Apr 16, 2012 8:54 PM

Smith is a jealous bitch.

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

28. butkus54 says: Apr 16, 2012 8:58 PM

Say what you like there babyhorsesassmorgan but Matt Stafford is a natural leader and he will find a way to bring this young team together.
    ps: Reading one of your other posts I was surprised you could even spell IQ. You really need to get some new material.

29. stlraven says: Apr 16, 2012 9:18 PM

9 4
    That’s not the only thing fairley is hitting hahahaha

30. dfinpds says: Apr 16, 2012 9:21 PM

I see no meaningful evidence of a bounty system….Drew brees We are a mature team…..Matt stafford denial syndrome… Must be brothers from different mothers…….

31. bmkmd says: Apr 16, 2012 9:53 PM

The Lions may not be all that mature yet, but going through adversity, ejections, arrests, financial penalties, and injuries will help them grow up…I hope.

There’s probably just as much a problem with having too much money too soon. It makes you feel important. Too important. As if the rules don’t apply, but they do.

It will be interesting to watch them grow. I just wish it would happen faster.

32. bigboi30 says: Apr 16, 2012 10:06 PM

Omg such crybabies. Go ahead, get all your poor excuses out of the way cause when the season starts and they find out the Detroit Lions are nature, are legit, and are going to knock the smart@as remarks out of your mouths.

33. lks311 says: Apr 16, 2012 10:26 PM

Everyone liked and pitied the Lions when they were doormats…now they puff their chests out a bit and claim they’re legit and the “Hating” rains down.

If my only other choice is to be a piece of garbage 0-16 team versus 10-6 with two pot smoking rookies (Culbreath was a 7th rounder and lucky to still be on the team)…then I’ll take it.

34. ahs2 says: Apr 16, 2012 10:28 PM

bigboi30 says:
    Apr 16, 2012 10:06 PM

“…In todays NFL ill take someone smoking pot over the rapist, drunk drivers, wife beaters, lowlifes that seem to be making up the teams they play. Period”

Well said…three rooks out of 54 players get caught smoking weed and the usual crew comes out whining about a handshake…cue the usual whines for the All-Pro DT losing his cool on T-day!!

35. radiofriendly420 says: Apr 16, 2012 10:37 PM

Lions>Your team.

You’ll see.

36. kungfubillysims says: Apr 16, 2012 10:59 PM

MDS you drink 4 gallons of haterade a day. I’ve never seen a sports “journalist” so openly biased against a single team in my life.
    I mean just reread that first paragraph for me please. Such hate.

37. alldonesmith says: Apr 16, 2012 11:23 PM

…. says the QB of the team with the most immature head coach in the NFL, by a wide margin. And although most of their players seem mature enough, there are a few glaring examples who follow his lead.

38. Steelerbear78 says: Apr 16, 2012 11:54 PM

I love how Lions fans think any team is afraid to have the Lions on the schedule all off a sudden. Are they a talented team? Absolutely but no one fears them for anything other than trying to get through a game without a cheapshot or personal fouls. Because as talented as the Lions are they are still the 3rd best team in the NFC North and the 8th best in the NFC. I’m being generous with that too.

Haters? Maybe. Realistic? Absolutely.

Lions fans should have kept the paper bags they are so fond of.

39. darthhitman77 says: Apr 17, 2012 8:19 AM

Steelerbear78 says: Apr 16, 2012 7:45 PM

Detriot Lions are going to be the most mature 3rd place team in the NFC North.

We’ve been 3rd and mature. If we’re not mature then so be it…we’re not 3rd anymore either Mr. Steelerbear…how’s the view of our ases down there punk?

40. suhnami says: Apr 17, 2012 11:06 AM

I love how Schwartz is 6’1″ 215 lbs and people like to refer to the “napoleon complex”…do you even understand what the “napoleon complex” refers to? because if you did you want to group any man over 6 feet tall and 200lbs in this group.

not to mention he’s a former linebacker, and people think he’d struggle in a fight with a former primma donna quarterback?? lol

41. td40 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:09 AM

You gotta love how, nowadays. if one trash talks or makes fun of a team, that team’s fans immediately start yelling “hater!” or “it’s because you’re afraid of us.”

No, sorry. No one’s “afraid” of the Lions. Good lord, people- they were 10-6 last year and lost the only playoff game they managed to find their way into by 17 points- not a team who went 15-1 and lost the NFC championship by a point and barely missed the SB. Up and coming team? Perhaps. Unstoppable powerhouse juggernaut everyone should be “afraid” of? Hardly.

Isn’t it obvious to everyone by now that when people yell “hater,” its out of frustration and the fact that they really just don’t have a good comeback? “Well, you’re right and I really don’t have a defense here, so I’ll just try to wash my hands over it and dismiss you as a ‘hater’.”

Weak. You might as well cup your hands over your ears, yelling “I can’t hear you! I can’t hear you!”

42. metzgerf says: Apr 17, 2012 11:44 AM

There are a LOT of people commenting about how nobody should be afraid of the Lions….which only means one thing: There are a LOT of people who are afraid of the Lions. I’m lovin’ it!

From what I can tell, Lions fans are the most rational fans out there. Irrational fans (as demonstrated above in bulk) cannot stand to allow any team (other than their favorite team) to have any respect. Irrational fans cannot admit that any other team could possibly beat their favorite team. There’s a lot of irrationality being shown here!

Just admit it – the Lions are good now. Get over it. It won’t last forever. The Lions will suck again sometime, it just happens. Every team goes through years when they’re good and years when they’re bad. The Lions are good now. Lower your pathetic pride a little bit and ADMIT IT.

43. Steelerbear78 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:51 AM

@ Darthhitman77, You need to wipe better. Glad to see you can read and type with that paper bag on your head. Lets get this straight; all you so called Lions fans never said a word for over a decade and you have one season where the stars align just right for you to get into the playoffs and the Lions won as many games as the teams that were sitting at home.

Call me a punk all you like Sally, end of the day your team will never be mature as long as Schwarz is the head coach and they will always be the paper Lions. Enjoy being 3rd again this season.

44. bigboi30 says: Apr 17, 2012 4:44 PM

@steelerbear78

I usually don’t get into a punks lack of thought like you, but seriously your talking all this junk about the Lions being 3rd best in their respected conference when the Steelers claim glory in a conference with teams like the Browns, Bengals, and Ravens. Come on let’s be serious. Now I can see where the stupidity and arrogance of the felon ridden Steelers team come from. I have stood proudly by my Lions through the Barry Sanders years, the dark days, and I will continue to do so as we take this league by storm. Every team (including the Steelers) know what Detroit its bringing and yes they know we will no longer be a stepping stone for years to come.
    Don’t you think its about time you pull your head out of your you know what (I know you like it there) but time to swallow your pride be a true fan of football and give credit where it is due

45. cmdv8 says: Apr 17, 2012 7:29 PM

@steelerbear78
    SERIOUSLY tebow rocked your old and crapy team check and see for yourself what the third best team in the nfc did to tebowtime of all fans to hate a steelers fan haha wht is the world coming too. how hypocritical haha thats just as bad as the “journalists” on this site

46. Steelerbear78 says: Apr 17, 2012 7:55 PM

Actually they rocked both my teams and yet that fact doesn’t change the lions still suck. No one fears them. They will be 3rd in the NFC North. Get out your paper bags.

47. 20lions81 says: Apr 18, 2012 11:07 AM

I’ve been a Lions fan my whole life, I’m not saying we are a team to fear but we are a team that will make some noise and may surprise some people for years to come. but I believe Stafford when he says that. Any team who steps onto the field doubting us and thinking we cant do it next year is in for a harsh reality check.

And any team who got knocked out by Tim Tebow in the payoffs last year (who we beat the snot out of) All I have to say is I will let you have my paper bag. I wont be needing it anymore.