Eric Decker sees “no issues” with Peyton Manning’s arm

Peyton Manning AP

At some point, Colts owner Jim Irsay’s head may explode.

Or, at a minimum, his Twitter page.

Less than six weeks after Irsay cut Peyton Manning in lieu of paying him another $28 million, Manning looks like the guy who played well enough to earn a contract that called for that $28 million payment.

Receiver Eric Decker continues to believe Manning is good to go.  “Everyone’s obviously going to get better from this point to September, but I’m not his doctor, so I don’t know how to speak on his health, but catching balls form him, it looks like there’s nothing wrong to me,” Decker said Monday, via comments distributed by the team.  “He’s throwing great balls; he’s getting the work in just like we’re getting the work in and knocking some rust off.  I see no issues at this point.”

Regardless of his arm strength, Peyton Manning continues to be Peyton Manning.  “He’s a natural-born leader,” Decker said.  “In the weight room, he’s the guy taking command of running from station to station.  On the field, he’s doing drill-work, getting us lined up and having us do things for a particular reason.  There are no wasted movements, no wasted time, and that’s a great thing to have in a leader like him.”

Meanwhile, Peyton said all the right things (but nothing remarkable or worth cutting and pasting) when meeting with the media, and he sounds like a guy who is focused on picking up where he left off in 2010, when he had one of the best statistical seasons of his career.

Apart from the words, look at his face.  He knows where this is heading, assuming the neck cooperates.

Nearly forty years ago, Robert Irsay exiled John Unitas to San Diego for the final year of his career.  The good news for Robert Irsay was the Unitas did nothing for the Chargers.  For Jim Irsay, it looks like Peyton is going to do a lot more than nothing for the Broncos.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Eric Decker sees “no issues” with Peyton Manning’s arm”
  1. gooboy6 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:28 AM

Manning will be half way to 37 and 18 months since he took his last live snap in an NFL game, 4 neck surgeries later, I’ll believe it when I see it in Sept

2. eaglesnoles05 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:30 AM

Seeing what STL got for the 2 pick…Colt’s may have F’ed up royally there after all… Could’ve paid Peyton, not alienated the fan base, and loaded up on picks to build for the future WAY more than they can now.

Whoops for Colts. Maybe BIG time. We’ll see what happens when he get’s hit… and when people who aren’t on his team start saying he is perfectly fine… but…

3. mrplow3 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:33 AM

I would bet my home that the Bronco’s do not win the super bowl this year.

Can we put this in perspective please:

Manning, has ONE super bowl win his entire career, one. And that is with having some of the greatest weapons in the league.

Now he goes to a team that has a bottom 3 recieving core in the entire league with an old running back who was made to look MUCH bettter than he is due to the running offense Tebow brought upon them.

Honestly, I would be surprised to see them be any more than a wild card team this year, maybe win the division, maybe (I like KC’s chances)

4. andymannfl says: Apr 17, 2012 9:34 AM

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that not a single Manning teammate will report anything but glowing accolades for how Peyton looks in practise.

How about we just wait until at least the preseason before making any assessments of Peyton.

5. skito13 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:35 AM

Peyton has not taken a hit in over a year so,who knows what will happen if he’s crushed.. Hopefully he doesn’t embarrass himself by holding on when most of the talent is gone .
    Probably will use more dropoff passes, slants and manage the reads for running game.

6. r0b1b0y says: Apr 17, 2012 9:42 AM

Poor guy brought all that bad karma on himself by attending Tennessee instead of LSU or Ole Miss, a lifetime of choking highlighted by the 1 SB win that stands in the shadows of Eli’s TWO (2)….this won’t end pretty

kinda reminds you of the Vikings and their fans….so sad

7. sj39 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:43 AM

He won’t have to take a hit unless a defender wants a suspension.

8. jmcgoblue says: Apr 17, 2012 9:45 AM

Broncos won’t even win their own division this year. Not a smart move Peyton.

9. mightyleemoon says: Apr 17, 2012 9:46 AM

mrplow3 says:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:33 AM

———————————————–

Which is one more than most of the starting quarterbacks in this league. Actually, I believe only 3 starting quarterbacks in this league can lay claim to more than one Super Bowl win.

So, having a Super Bowl win is a rip on Manning, how?

10. preventoffense says: Apr 17, 2012 9:47 AM

As an Indy based Colts fan, I have no issue with the decision made. I am also a huge Peyton Manning fan, regardless of where he plays, but everything lined up, including the calibre of team that could be fielded with Manning on his Championship quest, the money (don’t forget the millions Manning “earned” last year), and the fact that Andrew Luck landed in our lap.

Manning himself has stated numerous times that the only way to prep for the season is to take every snap, and he credits his own career development with starting every game in his rookie season. Irsay stood at the podium with Manning and stated that he will watch Manning win and find joy in Manning’s success. I will take him at his word. For all the silly attacks on Irsay I often see here, he is actually a solid NFL executive/owner who has to make tough decisions.

11. denverdave3 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:49 AM

Peyton may indeed get hurt, but I doubt it. One of the things I hate about football these days is how they have taken the edge off of some of the toughness (kick-offs, hitting defenseless receivers and protecting the passer) Add to that he has a very quick release. Finally, the Broncs have picked up extra tight ends and a fullback this off season. I bet they did that so they can keep extra blockers in the backfield protecting him.

12. shaggyjeff says: Apr 17, 2012 9:52 AM

Peyton will get hit and he won’t make it through the year…BAD move by Peyton,should’ve just retired….Why mess with your health when you have more money than anyone needs ?

13. tatatoothy says: Apr 17, 2012 9:53 AM

I love Manning, and hope he does great in Denver. But he an entire organization built around him in Indy and only managed to cash that in to one Super Bowl title.

14. packerman1968 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:56 AM

Compared to the dead ducks Tebow use to throw up.

I am sure anything Manning toss’s Deckers way is great.

15. furedmccombs says: Apr 17, 2012 9:57 AM

While there is definitely a need to wait and see, I believe that the receivers will improve with him as their QB. Decker is a solid possesion receiver with good route running skills…perfect for Manning. Also, this is supposedly a deep draft for WR, so I see them getting a little deeper at the position.

To the haters out there, when did the Colts ever have a defense like the Broncos appeared to have last year? He won’t have to be the complete savior like he had to in Indy.

I’m not saying Super Bowl, but you can’t count them out yet.

Not that I’m happy about this…KC is my AFC team of choice.

16. CKL says: Apr 17, 2012 10:02 AM

I could be wrong but wasn’t there just another story recently where Decker said the same thing about PM’s arm? Or is this the same conversation?
    Over/under on how soon all these guys who WITHOUT PM won a playoff game get sick of the media acting like any success the team has is all about PM?

17. tombradyallday says: Apr 17, 2012 10:02 AM

thought he said that las week to. lets jus get to the season and c what happens

18. truthfactory says: Apr 17, 2012 10:04 AM

mrplow3 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:33 AM

I would bet my home that the Bronco’s do not win the super bowl this year.o

Can we put this in perspective please:

——————–

Um….. Those “great” weapons looked pretty below average last year without him. Great weapons excel even with a below avg QB (Larry Fitzgerald, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Marshall)… Average weapons fall off with below avg QBs…

Look at what Austin Collie, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Jacob Tamme did WITH Manning, and then without Manning. The fact is that he carried a 2-14 roster with an insanely soft defense with no running game into the playoffs every year, made it to 2 Super Bowls, and won 1 of them. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

I wonder what he could have accomplished had he been working with an 11-5 type of roster throughout the majority of his career?

19. waitingguilty says: Apr 17, 2012 10:09 AM

Idea…

Let us know when Decker says there IS an issue with PM’s arm.

Because you’ve already told us this exact information 4 times recently.

20. Stiller43 says: Apr 17, 2012 10:19 AM

Hes comparing peyton to the last guy to throw him a pass in a game. He’d see no problem with a 6 year old throwing him the ball compared to soggy noodle arm tebow.

21. nflfollower says: Apr 17, 2012 10:21 AM

I read this exact article about 2 weeks ago. Eric Decker saying Peyton mannings arm is great. Yup, got it the first time.

22. broncobeta says: Apr 17, 2012 10:23 AM

Dude, this story is so old.

23. broncobeta says: Apr 17, 2012 10:26 AM

mrplow3 says:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:33 AM
    I would bet my home that the Bronco’s do not win the super bowl this year.

Can we put this in perspective please:

————————————-

Uhh….

Seriously? Get your facts straight.

Thomas and Decker had great years with Orton and Tebow throwing to them.

McGahee did well because he fits into John Fox’s run first offense. He was racking up the yards before Tebow took over as well.

You’re really ignorant and just seeing what you want to see.

I’m not saying the Broncos will win the Super Bowl, but I’m not emphatically stupid like you are either.

24. dawnkeebals says: Apr 17, 2012 10:40 AM

He sees nothing wrong with Peyton’s arm because he is used to Tim Tebow throwing him ducks, err…. balls. I’ll believe it when I see it……

25. buddybowl69 says: Apr 17, 2012 10:50 AM

I see a problem with Peyton’s handicapped little brother Eli struggling to lift the trophy above his head and drool coming out of his mouth during the NFL Network commercials. Sad sight indeed.

26. gallogj says: Apr 17, 2012 10:52 AM

Peyton has a neck longer than a horse…and he only wants to play for teams with horses as their mascot…I wonder if his favorite show is Mr. Ed?

27. jgava19 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:00 AM

Big Manning fan but Colts fan first and foremost. I wish Manning mucho success, but you don’t know what you are getting just yet with him. He plays against some smash mouth defenses this season, the schedule is brutal.
    Btw, the year they won it all, the Colts had the worst rushing defense in the league, but somehow, had the best in the playoffs.

FYI. This may not mean much, but found these stats very interesting. Manning is 9-10 in playoffs, and 7 of his 11 post season trips ended in one and dones. Great regular season success, but mediocre post season success.

Good Luck to him. I really enjoyed his 13 years of dedication and hard work in bringing notoriety to Indianapolis.

28. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Apr 17, 2012 11:04 AM

How many times are you going to run this story? Weekly? Daily?

Once again, MegaHead will lead the Donkeys to an 8-8 record and no playoffs.

29. chadmurdigan says: Apr 17, 2012 11:28 AM

“Apart from the words, look at his face. He knows where this is heading, assuming the neck cooperates.”

Peyton looks in that picture like the cat who just swallowed 28,000,000 canaries, every single one of them worth a $1.00 U.S. bill.

Irsay made the right decision on this one. I’ll give him that.

30. beeronthefridge says: Apr 17, 2012 11:42 AM

Peyton takes command in the weight room? Are you serious?

Peyton looks like he lifts weights that would only challenge a toddler!

31. mrplow3 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:47 AM

Get your facts straight responders. Manning was horrific in his playoff run that led to a super bowl. That was the year his defense went lights out for the second half of the season carrying the Colts in the playoffs.

Manning is an all time great but quit rewriting history.

32. chiefdt58 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:54 AM

He’s going to need a bigger hat

33. renaissanceman6 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:02 PM

And all this time all you’ve been “reporting” is “4 neck surgeries! omg!”

34. bchapman2011 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:03 PM

We have seen this same story every day this offseason…..Enough already. Its kind of like when you keep on saying the same thing over and over hoping that it will come true. If Peyton was 100 percent ready to go with no concerns than there wouldnt be the need for these receivers to come out every other day with these stupid reports.

35. ncarolinarn7 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:03 PM

It’s amusing to read all the armchair Generals comments here. It’s half the fun or course. 1 Superbowl win over his career, correct. His winning percentage is exceptionally good. Time will tell with Peyton. Elway did some of his best work the last 2 years is part of the reason he took the risk. He understands also Peyton has sealed up a place in Canton, OH.

All the fans of teams that haven’t done squat for years and years keep blowing off like I said it’s amusing to read. I believe Elway will focus on an Offensive line and also believe Peyton is stronger than you realize. I’ve seen many amazing surgeries and lives changed as an RN over the last 20 years. Go Peyton! Have fun, play hard, best of luck. It’s a game and a team not a country at war.

36. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:04 PM

wheres mjkelly with the greedy swamp boy response lol , but as a colts fan i wish PM luck with the broncos, but irsay did the right thing, it was time to move on and if he continued to pay peyton his salary we would be cap scrictened for years to come, irsay is a hell of a owner and im sure once we get Luck into the fold we will be alright,

37. nwstreethawk says: Apr 17, 2012 12:16 PM

Two Superbowl appearances (one win), at least a 90% passer rating since 2004, a leader on and off the field, a student and teacher of the game, … If you take the neck surgeries out of the equation this is a no-brainer.

“Greatest weapons in the league” at the time but realize that Manning was the cornerstone of those weapons. Put a mediocre QB in that offense … do they win the Superbowl? Remember they beat the Patriots by only 4 points in the AFC Championship game.

Manning is not stupid. If the doctors say that he is putting his health at significant risk for permanent damage he wouldn’t play. With Manning it isn’t about the money but love of the game.

Hopefully Denver gets a hold of another young QB with a similar style so he can learn from Peyton.

Pre-season will give us a hint. Game one of the regular season will tell us the real story. On paper right now Denver is the best team in the AFC West. Now they need to get on the field and prove it. :)

38. r8rnuck says: Apr 17, 2012 12:35 PM

i really like the people that bank on stats as justification and reasoning for their stance…you can’t quantify the intangible…despite the good moves made in the offseason in the division (with the exception of sd…have fun with mario henderson…) i think broncos have the best chance not necessarily based on physical skills but the level of practical coaching that peyton is going to bring is irrefutable. and i hate me some donkeys and i can appreciate that they will definitely be a force to reckon with

39. shadowman1433 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:48 PM

Decker is just happy to a pass thrown to him and not in the dirt five yards in front of high.

40. cardiffgiant11 says: Apr 17, 2012 12:52 PM

*yawn* as if we could expect anyone to publically say otherwise? Seeing is believing for me.

41. londonfletcher says: Apr 17, 2012 1:04 PM

*For aditional info on Peyton Manning, see Vince Wilforks comments on hitting quarterbacks.

42. chadmurdigan says: Apr 17, 2012 1:32 PM

“I’ve seen many amazing surgeries and lives changed as an RN over the last 20 years.”

Yeah, and most of the lives were changed for the worst. At least that’s sure been the case with the surgeries that members of my friends and extended family have undergone.

43. jgava19 says: Apr 17, 2012 2:10 PM

It wasn’t about the money???

I got 19 million reasons why you are full of…

44. jgava19 says: Apr 17, 2012 2:13 PM

Mrplow….let’s not forget that he led 5 scoring drives vs the stout Ravens on the road. And also, don’t forget his 2nd half vs Patriots. Without that, there is no ring on his finger.

45. bigshadetree says: Apr 17, 2012 2:16 PM

Did I miss something here? Since when Did he ever have arm issues? I thought he had 4 neck procedures? This is such a non issue… no more peyton stories please, until he gets hit the first time in a real NFL game…

46. countryskinsfan says: Apr 17, 2012 2:16 PM

Happy to see PM with a better organization. The Colts had one of the best QB’s for 13 years and only win 1 SB! I know PM is feeling sorry for Luck right now! They have 0 talent to surround Luck with! They should just trade the pick so Luck can be successful!!

47. i10east says: Apr 17, 2012 2:19 PM

In other news….Eric Decker did see “some issues” with Tim Tebow’s arm.

48. bingobrown12 says: Apr 17, 2012 2:20 PM

Its not that the two teams are named after a horse.
    its that Peyton can completely have his way vs the
    wimpy coaching both teams have and have had.I can
    see coach Fox bring out the punting team on 4-10
    only to be overruled by Peyton.

49. jgava19 says: Apr 17, 2012 3:29 PM

Countryskinsfan….your statement doesn’t surprise me. Most skins fans have limited knowledge of football. Case in point….YOU.

Bigshadetree….yes, you miss a lot. Arm strength has been a big concern. His nerves were somewhat paralyzed or numbed, which is why he went under the knife to release the pressure. Might want to do your homework first before mouthing off.

50. cardiffgiant11 says: Apr 17, 2012 4:00 PM

bigshadetree says:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:16 PM

_________________________________
    one of the side effects of spinal fusion is scar tissue and nerve damage. Since his was in his neck it is more likely to impact his shoulders and arms. My brother had spinal fusion in his lower back and is dealing with some minor scar tissue/nerve issues in his legs.

As for Peyton’s Superbowl, he’s no doubt a great athlete, but he got lucky that season. Let’s not forget that’s when the Patriots defense began to show us that it needed to be rebuilt when they blew the lead against the Colts in the AFC Championship game. Also, really he beat the Rex Grossman led Bears.

A Superbowl is still a Superbowl and no doubt Manning is a great athlete but it was annoying when he was in the talks about “best all time” prior to the loss to the Saints in the Superbowl He’s good but I’m not even sure he’s the most talented Manning and that title goes to Eli and I’m a Patriots fan.

51. wyobroncoboy says: Apr 17, 2012 4:10 PM

Keep in mind Peyton already has a great winning percentage at Mile-Hi.

52. rushbacker says: Apr 17, 2012 4:46 PM

Man, some of you clowns are gonna be real sad when the guy gets hit for the first time, and gets up just fine. The guy has made hundreds of millions of dollars and accomplished everything possible– he wouldn’t be playing if there was any more risk to him than anyone else.

I wonder if a lot of you even realize that the neck never suffered any structural damage. It’s been a nerve issue all along– it’s not like it was broken at any point.

53. driverjim says: Apr 17, 2012 4:56 PM

Out of all of these comments, I only saw one that was completely accurate.

JOHN ELWAY ONLY WON TWICE AT THE END OF HIS CAREER

Now then, let’s explore some facts that are well known.

Denver has a defense that occasionally smells like a bean burrito (after being eaten, of course).

Indy has a defense that may as well be a piece of swiss cheese for all the holes in it.

Denver has an O-Line that can get the job done, even if they look like light-weights.

Indy’s O-Line, in the previous season, looked like a bunch of ballons at a parade (read as: pushed around with the greatest of ease).

Denver has an owner that is content to let his football people do their jobs and keeps his mouth shut.

Indy has an owner that has a Twitter-fixation, having to post something every time his visits the can.

Now, I’m the type that can and will be honest. Decker and Thomas, last year, dropped a bunch of passes ’cause they turned upfield first before the catch. While Tebow did throw more pigs than pigskins it still needs to be said about the two.

We shall see. At least the pair of teams have real coaches and not a schlub by the name of McDaniels floating around.

54. jeziyo247 says: Apr 17, 2012 5:53 PM

A lot of the comments are ridiculous and just people hating, do you think any player would risk long term illness to play football? Can you name significant weapons the colts had on defense? When the colts played good teams, it never was a blowout, it was manning keeping them in the games. Manning turn mediocre receivers to stars so it doesn’t matter who he throws to. He turned Pierre Garcon into a 50+ million dollar WR, reggie waynes numbers declined the year manning was out. If the had a solid defense, even with painter, they would have won more than 2 games. Manning had 4 surgeries in the year he didn’t play, he’s not injury prone, he’s working out and keeping his body in shape so he can take a hit when it happens hell he barely got hit in indy. Im not gonna say that the broncos will make the superbowl next season but they are real contenders now and can be taken seriously. You still have all the way til September for the regular season and in that time, players will be added and players will be cut so you can’t base your take on them with their current roster until its all set and done

55. davidcl77 says: Apr 17, 2012 6:20 PM

Just wait til the 300 lb goons are after his ass, Eric. Uh oh!

56. prefontaine35 says: Apr 17, 2012 6:32 PM

For Fantasy Purposes….A. Rogers, Brady, Brees, C. Newton are my 1st tier QB’s. Stafford, Vick, Rivers, Eli, are my 2cd tier. Shaub, Peyton, Big Ben, Romo are my third……I dont have a list may of forgotten someone

I’d possibly take Peyton over rivers, or eli, Rivers I think will be a good pick this year however, but Eli wont repeat his performance, and romo is a mark sanchez is a cowboy uniform, Shaub will be handing the ball off, same with big ben.

So ive got Peyton in my top 7 easy. And dont say “until he gets hit hard”, that can happen to any QB. Somebody said that every week about Stafford last year while I rode him to the championship.

Peyton is and will be one of the better QB’s next season.