Mario Williams: Bills at Houston “just like any other game”

Mario+Williams-1 Getty Images

The Bills’ schedule is out, and a key game for defensive end Mario Williams will come in Week Nine, when he visits his old team at Houston.

At least, that would seem to be a key game. But Williams said on ESPN that in reality he doesn’t have that date circled on his calendar.

“I’m going to be relaxed, man,” Williams said. “I’m going to be calm, cool — just like any other game.”

Williams allowed that it’ll be nice to see his old friends on the other team, especially if he can hit them.

“Obviously I have a bunch of friends on that team,” he said. “It’s going to be good to see those guys, get out there and mix it up, be able to see Matt Schaub and actually be able to tackle him.”

But what Williams sounded more interested in is the fact that the Bills get four of their last five games at home. Williams said he’ll be hoping for a blizzard.

“It definitely will be an advantage,” Williams said. “I think the elements will probably be in our favor.”

It’s been a long time since Buffalo hosted late-season, bad-weather games with the playoffs on the line. This could be the year, and that excites Williams more than a mid-season game in Houston.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Mario Williams: Bills at Houston “just like any other game””
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Apr 17, 2012 7:44 PM

mario is going to crush schaub a few times for sure. however I’m a diehard bills fan and realize this will be a tough game to win.

2. myleathasosoft says: Apr 17, 2012 7:48 PM

As a Texans fan I wish Mario the best! No hard feelings, this is a business and the Texans could not offer him big money like Buffalo!

3. Soulman45 says: Apr 17, 2012 7:53 PM

Good for Will I wish him luck stay on the field and have a good year.

4. majbobby says: Apr 17, 2012 7:57 PM

Man last time I saw Bills in Houston,

JP Losman finished the comback with a nice pass to Josh Reed (if I remember right) right in front of me.

Then the Houston fans showered me in Beer and nice R Rated comments.

5. tfbuckfutter says: Apr 17, 2012 8:00 PM

“Mario Williams: Bills at Houston “just like any other game””

Well, it’s good to see he’s already resigned himself to losing on a regular basis.

6. sportssince85 says: Apr 17, 2012 8:05 PM

As a Texan fan, we really didn’t need him cuz he didn’t a 34 defense n can’t wait til Dwayne Brown shows the Bills why they over spent a good but far from great defensive talent

7. tolan04 says: Apr 17, 2012 8:06 PM

Sure he says that to the media, but I’m sure he’s anxious to play them. Go Bills!!

8. gadzod says: Apr 17, 2012 8:10 PM

Being a Bills season ticket holder being stationed at Little Rock AFB, I can’t attend every home game. I have to pick games which I would like to attend. With Buffalo not being relevant in December since 1999, I’m a little weary on if I could at least get some of my money back for games I do not attend. I trust Mario Williams can deliver. I don’t know if I’ll make the December games with upcoming deployments and all, but I’ll definitely make sure my tickets don’t go to the fans of opposing teams. That kind of stuff sickens me!

9. onzlaut says: Apr 17, 2012 8:38 PM

Week 9? He’ll be hurt by then.

10. ajtexans says: Apr 17, 2012 8:47 PM

That’s funny, on his twitter account, Mario called the matchup with the Texans “judgement day.” https://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90/status/192380831564705795

Just a bit two-faced. Not sure what his beef is with the Texans. They treated him well and paid him well and he knew they couldn’t afford him. Texans fans have moved on.

One thing I know is that the last time Mario didn’t finish a season on IR was in 2009 so he may be lucky to still be on the field once December rolls around.

11. texan26 says: Apr 17, 2012 8:49 PM

He will be injured by week 9.

12. norton20 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:08 PM

Bad news for mario. One of those games is in Toronto in a dome. Doh! No blizzard, no home field advantage either.

13. scottieplongballs says: Apr 17, 2012 9:17 PM

Lol nice Bobby. I like Mario. I think he will tear it up in Buffalo. And I like the way buffalo is building.

14. houtxfan4053 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:17 PM

“…just like any other game”, yet right after his ‘audio appearance’ on ESPN, he tweeted “Judgement day Nov 4th!!”.

Talk out of both sides of your mouth much, Mario?

15. ranksarot says: Apr 17, 2012 9:35 PM

He’ll be on IR by then

16. jwocky1 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:39 PM

As a Texans fan I have to say good luck fishing for negative comments out of Mario, hes too classy. Besides, he knows the bottom line is we couldn’t afford him.

17. buffalodiehard says: Apr 17, 2012 9:39 PM

sportssince85 says:

“he didn’t a 34 defense n can’t wait til Dwayne Brown shows the Bills why they over spent a good but far from great defensive talent”

What?

18. i10east says: Apr 17, 2012 9:43 PM

“Just like any other game” = Circle the calendar game.

19. billsrone says: Apr 17, 2012 10:22 PM

I can only hope that his attitude spreads to the rest of the “D”! Can’t wait for the season to start
    !

20. mcjon22 says: Apr 17, 2012 10:27 PM

“Just like another game” because once you sign with Buffalo, and you sign for 100 mil, they are all” just like another game”.

21. txtuff says: Apr 17, 2012 10:29 PM

Being a Texans fan and watching Mario since he has been in the NFL I will agree with him. I don’t know if I have ever seen him get excited to play any game!

22. ruffbuff says: Apr 17, 2012 10:46 PM

we don’t get bad weather in buffalo anymore. seriously. i was grilling outside in a t-shirt for the playoffs.

23. blitzinc43 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:21 PM

As a FOOTBALL fan, and a distant friend of the association…

Mario is going to combust and explode faster than Wilfork force-feeding Woodhead his daily lunch…

In all fairness to the association I am a friend of, Bills, it was the best possible signing for their pass-rush situation (or lack there of)… but i find that these big signings who have to move many many miles from what there used to… do indeed bust more often than not

24. txndave says: Apr 18, 2012 12:26 AM

That a bunch of bs….
    You’re gonna care when the Texans come in and beat that a$$…

GO TEXANS!!!!

25. sportssince85 says: Apr 18, 2012 3:21 AM

buffalodiehard says:
    sportssince85 says:

What?

Sorry buffalodiehard, I was typing too fast n not checking but here it is for u.

1.Mario didn’t fit a 34 defensive scheme so my Texans won’t miss him

2.Dwayne Brown(Texans LT) will dominate Mario

3.Mario getting a $90 M dollar contract is preposterous, he is no Julius Peppers, Dwight Feeney, Jared Allen, Jason Pierre-Paul ( these are the list of 4-3 defensive ends who are better than Mario and theres more, if I were to put OLB’s in 34 schemes who predominantly pass rush theres even more)..none of these top players are getting $90 M dollars and they are worth it, not Mario

4.The conclusion of this is the Bills over spent on him, he is good but not great, they went digging for gold in a silver mine

26. danimal1027 says: Apr 18, 2012 6:06 AM

27. sportssince85 says: Apr 18, 2012 12:41 PM

danimal1027 says:

“I find it odd when now bc Williams is a Bill people act like he’s not that good. He’s #1 in sacks since 2007 and 3rd in avg. Sacks per game behind Jared Allen and Demarcus ware. That’s pretty good at least and I’d prefer that over him leading the team in tackles yt having no true impact.”

U have to be kidding , Mario is not #1 in sacks since 2007..he can’t even stay healthy that long to lead the league in sacks

28. mud5h0vel says: Apr 18, 2012 3:38 PM

Mario…meet Duane Brown…in a game setting. You may want to call up Clint Session of the Jags!

and Mario has only been in the Top 10 in sacks in ’07 & ’08..

29. billhicks666 says: Apr 19, 2012 9:18 PM

danimal1027 says:

What?? All people have been saying is how great he is; I never heard any of that while he played for the Texans.

Anyway, it will be just like any other game…for the Texans. Ho-hum: another game, another win over a subpar opponent.