Miles Austin: I wasn’t prepared for the start of last season

Miles+Austin+Dallas+Cowboys+v+San+Francisco+-MH8sMZulgql Getty Images

The extended lockout last year impacted the way many players prepared for the start of the season.

One of those players was Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin. He told MensHealth.com that he would be preparing differently this offseason after finding that he wasn’t ready to answer the bell last season.

“I feel like last year I wasn’t prepared for the season the way I should’ve been condition-wise, even though I looked and felt it at the time,” Austin said. “That’s one thing that I have to keep an eye on. To make sure I’m in the best physical shape I can be.”

Austin injured his hamstring during training camp, the kind of injury that can come from being less than prepared for the start of serious physical activity. He reinjured the hamstring in Week Two and missed the next two games. Austin then suffered another hamstring injury later in the season and missed four more games.

Austin has said several times that the injuries are no longer bothering him, but making sure he’s fully ready to go physically will be the best way to avoid any future troubles in the same spot. The return of offseason programs should mean a lot less unprepared players when training camp rolls around this year.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Miles Austin: I wasn’t prepared for the start of last season”
  1. duanethomas says: Apr 17, 2012 10:07 AM

Call it what you want but to me when a pro athlete comes in out of shape or not prepared to play it stealing money from your team. I sure Jerry Jones would have adjusted his contract if he knew Miles wasn’t “prepared” for the season.

2. trojan33sc says: Apr 17, 2012 10:27 AM

I agree ! How much money as a pro NFL ballplayer do you get for playing in the league??? It’s your JOB to be in shape, ridiculous…………

3. daysend564 says: Apr 17, 2012 10:32 AM

In before a bunch of fat guys sitting behind their computers talk about being in shape…

4. thetroofishere says: Apr 17, 2012 10:47 AM

Had he come in with a healthy set of hamstrings, maybe he would have had the legs to catch that perfect pass to him in the 1st Giants game…instead of it looking like Tony choked and overthrew a wide open Austin.

“I lost it in the lights”…yeah, okay.

5. drunkenjunk says: Apr 17, 2012 10:51 AM

@daysend564
    you one of the fat guys sittin behind your computer?

This is garbage. How can you not stay in shape when you are pulling millions of dollars to do just that. He knew there was a very good chance the season was gonna happen. Its unacceptable.

6. rajbais says: Apr 17, 2012 10:54 AM

This is why Dallas was wrong for cutting Terrell Owens!!!!

He would’ve been in better shape than Miles Austin would have been over the past two seasons!!!! Barring the torn ACL, his track record for being in great shape speaks for itself!!!!! Plus, he just had his best game for the Allen Wranglers on a team that likes to “spread the wealth” thus lower stats (5 catches-88 yards-2 TD)!!!!

The only reason why people will hate me for saying this is because they’re NOT intelligent and they let the media produced goriness of T.O. and the locker room crap get into their heads!!!!

The last time I checked the NFL is defined by wins and losses!!!! Dallas had three winning seasons w/T.O.!!!! Without him, JUST ONE!!!

7. rajbais says: Apr 17, 2012 10:55 AM

This is why Dallas was wrong for cutting Terrell Owens!!!!

The media believes that success is ONLY defined by what looks shiny or gory!!!!!! It knows NOTHING!!!!!!

8. johnnyjagfan says: Apr 17, 2012 11:03 AM

Miles is soft. But, he created room for Laurent Robinson to make a bunch of big catches for TDs and a nice payday in Jax.

9. pesh00 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:06 AM

Dude really talking about TO? Yes he looks to be in good shape….for his age. He would still be here if he didn’t have alligator arms and could still get off press coverage.

10. realdealsteel says: Apr 17, 2012 11:22 AM

I totally disagree and let me tell you why……

Everyone here is forgetting that last year was a lockout year. And everyone thought the lockout was going to last, but it didn’t. Athletes are creatures of superstition and habit.

That lockout threw everything out of whack for a lot of people. Remember, new players at key offensive positions all around the league got no practice time, no OTA’s, no nothing. And those teams like the Jaguars, Buccaneers and etc. were affected.

Austin’s routine was off because everyone thought the lockout was going to last longer then what it did. There was even talk of only playing 8 games last season too.

Austin is not a slacker per say and he is just telling the truth. There were a lot of players around the league who were not in shape to play. Roddy White being another that comes to mind.

11. xxwhodatxx says: Apr 17, 2012 11:27 AM

When you’re a pro athlete it’s your job to stay in shape. Im not sure what he expected at the start of last season.

12. dccowboy says: Apr 17, 2012 11:29 AM

@trojan33sc

No it isn’t ridiculous. I don’t really care who you are you cannot get yourself into football shape on your own. That’s why teams employ strength and conditioning coaches. No matter how hard he trained on his own I don’t think any NFL player can do it on his own. There were a large number of ‘conditioning related’ injuries last season (hamstrings, quads, groins, etc) for a lot of players. Sadly, once you get one of those it plagues you the entire season and does not heal until the following offseason. That’s reality.

13. steelershaveobnoxiousclasslessfairweatherfans says: Apr 17, 2012 11:30 AM

Really? There is somebody on this planet, other than T.O. that is defending T.O. I don’t think his mom even defends his bipolar delusional behavior….that’s just really low.

A lot of players were not conditioned correctly last season, not just Miles.

True! this guy gets paid millions to catch a football and should of been in shape…but for them to actually think outside the box and to find other ways of training is just obsurd. These guys aren’t paid to think, they’re paid millions to play a kids game and catch a ball for a living(notice sarcasm)

14. trefkennedy says: Apr 17, 2012 11:51 AM

It’s aight Miles had an off season,still doesn’t change the fact that a healthy Miles Austin is a top 10-15 wr, I’m confident this season Miles gonna have 84 catches 1300 yards n 12 td’s

15. bhindenemylines says: Apr 17, 2012 11:54 AM

Okay, Miles.

So what I am hearing then is “There are no excuses this year. I know what I have to do and will do it. I will be in the best shape of my (often injured) career and live up to my play that landed me the big $60+ million contract”.

Right?

No excuses.

16. andyreidcarboload says: Apr 17, 2012 12:06 PM

17 million bucks last year and admits he was not ready for the season.

And Witten says they can go on a ‘Giants’ like run.

17. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Apr 17, 2012 12:12 PM

Victor Cruz was ready for the start of the season last year!

18. talkingfan says: Apr 17, 2012 12:40 PM

Let’s see if you can be a leader!

19. tombradyallday says: Apr 17, 2012 1:08 PM

tried to tell him stop chillin wit kim kardassian. oops kardashian

20. paulsmith107 says: Apr 17, 2012 1:08 PM

To rebut the comments that miles is a pro athlete and shoulda been ready I’m sure the man trained and trained hard but when you aren’t around the team strength coaches it’s a little different. Most of you wouldn’t know about working out much less working out to play a sport so I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

21. gmacbigd says: Apr 17, 2012 1:16 PM

Come on now. There were tons of guys not in football shape. Thats why there were so many injuries. Milea is the onlu one admitting it and he was probably prodded by the reporter.

22. kevpft says: Apr 17, 2012 1:29 PM

Let’s face it, last NFL season was a bit of a mess from start to finish. It was pretty obvious that, from conditioning to strategy to game planning, last year was everybody flying by the seat of their pants. Quality of play was so variable, so many fluky injuries, etc.

It’s easy to say that Austin “should have known better”, but how can anyone really know how ready they are until they play? He’s an excellent athlete, and I’m sure that he, just like most every other NFL player, stayed fit enough that everything “seemed” fine. I’ll bet that dozens, if not hundreds, of players had very similar “oh crap” moments last season.

Receiver is one of the hardest positions to simulate – those are the sprinters of the game, and unless you’re running live races, you’re not really burning at the level that tells you how you’re doing.

23. milesrunner262 says: Apr 17, 2012 1:39 PM

This from the guy whose contract has cost the Cowboys $10 million in cap space!!

24. str8cashhomey says: Apr 17, 2012 1:55 PM

im being censored on this site for some reason….lol……(this comment will remain though)

25. themightywhitey says: Apr 17, 2012 3:14 PM

cant wait to see how he and the rest of the team do this year with an off season under the new (old ) strength coach !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. jackm79 says: Apr 17, 2012 3:23 PM

I’m sure Miles was in better physical condition then 99% of the general public. Football shape is different. That’s why teams start their conditioning programs in April, so players will be in football shape. Last season there was no off season program due to the lockout. Can’t blame Miles for that. Blame his boss…

27. rwhited2 says: Apr 17, 2012 9:58 PM

themightywhitey says:Apr 17, 2012 3:14 PM

I’ll save you the suspense…. fairly decent until December and then they will crash and burn. Count on it…….