Three division rivals play twice in three games

Getty Images

So I’m in the process of coming up with one observation from every team’s 2012 schedule, and I noticed an interesting trend.

Three different sets of division rivals plays both times only two weeks apart.

The Ravens and Steelers play on November 18 and December 2.  The Vikings and Bears play on November 25 and December 9.  And the Colts and Texans play on December 16 and December 30.

I can’t recall this happening so often in one season.  Frankly, I can’t recall it ever happening for one set of rivals.

Feel free to refresh my memory in the comments.  And if it also means calling me an idiot, I’m OK with that.

54 responses to “Three division rivals play twice in three games

1. That has happened, but not for quite a while. i though the league decided at some point there would be three weeks between meetings. Guess not.

Idiot.

2. check out the skins closing – they end on a murderer’s row:

Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 18, Philadelphia, 1:00 PM
    Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 22, at Dallas, 4:15 PM
    Week 13: Monday, Dec. 3, NY Giants, 8:30 PM
    Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 9, Baltimore, 1:00 PM
    Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 16, at Cleveland, 1:00 PM
    Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 23, at Philadelphia, 1:00 PM
    Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 30, Dallas, 1:00 PM

All but Cleveland are super tough… and 3 NFC East games in a row (which i dont recall ever happening before)… a 2 game “Break” and then 2 more NFC East games… WTF!!!

3. thats 2nd game between the ravens & steelers looks to be more of blood bath then normal, thats two meetings in a really short period for those two teams, they cant stand each other now, just picture 2meetings in 3weeks

4. “steelersaresuperiorineveryway6welookdownandlaugh”

I was really wanting this guy to be banned from the website..but it seems that blogging on football websites is the only thing this guy has. I thought it was acctually pretty funny at first, but when you comment the same fictional story four times on every article, it gets old and quiet sad.

Congrats man you’ve managed to get a couple thumbs down on your comments..keep writing your premeditated stories…we understand that your “special”

5. You being an idiot has nothing to do with if you can, or cannot remember a set of rivals playing twice in three games.

6. I have an interesting observation about the schedule. This will be the last season of the Minnesota* Vikings.

7. Cleveland played Baltimore and Pittsburgh 4 times in 5 weeks last year.

Week 13 v Baltimore
    14 @ Pittsburgh
    16 @ Baltimore
    17 v. Pittsburgh

8. 5 of the 6 divisional games for the Packers are in the last 7 weeks of the season. Looks like the Skins have the same setup. Is this happening across the league?

9. There is no reason to do that to teams. If one has a key player out for a 3-4 week period, it can impact their head-to-head outcome.

10. Wow, I have never said anything degrading on this site, and I talked about the future of the NFL’s quarterbacks in their respective city’s , and my comment gets deleted. Ok, I get it… There are 500 other places to visit.. Sorry for reading your blog.. I guess being respectful is frowned upon on PFT… Later

11. Take a look at the Browns schedule last season. Specifically the 5 division games in 6 weeks to close out the season. It was ridiculous. Would have been awesome if they were meaningful for the Browns though.

12. 1990

Giants vs Cowboys; weeks 2 and 4

Giants vs Redskins; weeks 6 and 8

Of course that’s the old 5 team Divisions. Giants also played the Eagles in week 1 and pretty much wrapped up the East by week 9.

Not an idiot, maybe a little slow….

13. This will be good for the ravens. The 2 losses to the steelers in3 weeks will be more like ripping off a band aid. Maybe they’ll be lucky and half the steeler team will be injured again like last year.

Can the media please stop pretending ray lewis is still a great player and not just a pile jumper.

14. KingBeason, steelersaresuperiorineveryway6welookdownandlaugh, his over the top arrogance is laughable. Taking him seriously enough to ban him is also over the top. Opinionated guys like u two are part of the fun of PFT.

15. Playing the ravens twice at the end of the season will def determine who’s the wild card this yr. Hopefully it means we are playing playoff football heading in to the playoffs. Get hot at the right time! Go steelers

16. @davidpoopy

Murder’s row? c’mon Phillyx2, Dallasx2, Cleveland?

A lot of teams would love to have that schedule.

17. My buddy pointed out to me that the falcons go one on the road and one at home all season long. Neither of us recall that ever happening for us b4

18. It was frustrating last year to have the Ravens on opening day because it’s more exciting having a little time to anticipate that game. Now we’ve got them later in the season–but only a week to savor the buildup to the rematch. Come on, schedulers! Geez!

19. davidpoopy says:Apr 17, 2012 9:07 PM

check out the skins closing – they end on a murderer’s row

________________________________

redskins got a tough schedule because of all the sht their fans have talked about rg3 and hail!

20. I remember back before titan’s name change, the Steelers played them twice in 3 games, but that is really the only time I remember this happening. Im pretty sure it has happened before.

21. I seem to remember this happening in the NFC West, Rams-49ers…. Yeah, 1983 weeks 6 and 8. 1980 weeks 5 and 7. 1978 weeks 8 and 10 for Falcons-49ers. I thought it was more frequent than that, but really not so common.

22. There was the Browns schedule last year where in the last 5 weeks they played the Steelers and the Ravens twice. It’s not exactly the same but it is close.

23. And I though it was bizarre that two years running the Cowboys only had two weeks between division opponents. Well sucks for those teams this year.

24. Has to be because of all the parameters that the NFL introduced this year and last. Division games at the end of the season, then all the new ones this year like every team having a Thursday Night game, and having it following a home game, plus the games in London and the byes afterward, etc.

25. coltsluckdynasty says: Apr 17, 2012 9:39 PM

Wow, I have never said anything degrading on this site, and I talked about the future of the NFL’s quarterbacks in their respective city’s , and my comment gets deleted. Ok, I get it… There are 500 other places to visit.. Sorry for reading your blog.. I guess being respectful is frowned upon on PFT… Later”

ITA. Yeah, I find that some of my comments that have been nothing near argumentative nor even disrespectful have randomly been deleted on a few occasions; this was months ago, though, in all fairness to PFT. What’s worse to me is something that is either a glitch or saying that I’m not good enough to thumbs up or down some comments on this site, especially when no one has voted either way on it. I don’t know if there’s a limit to how many comments you can vote on over a stretch of time or not but it’s really annoying considering that I’d have to come back later if I’d really vote on it. It makes it that I don’t even read comments too often anymore.

26. The last time the Steelers had such a late game/prime time heavy schedule they went 9-7 in 2009. Not good.

27. Difficult, maybe a stretch. It isn’t easy playing divisional opponets so close together. Still nothing like the chiefs 5 game stretch last year. @patriots, steelers, @chicago, @jets, packers. That was murders row…

28. davidpoopy says: Apr 17, 2012 9:07 PM

check out the skins closing – they end on a murderer’s row:

Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 18, Philadelphia, 1:00 PM
    Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 22, at Dallas, 4:15 PM
    Week 13: Monday, Dec. 3, NY Giants, 8:30 PM
    Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 9, Baltimore, 1:00 PM
    Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 16, at Cleveland, 1:00 PM
    Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 23, at Philadelphia, 1:00 PM
    Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 30, Dallas, 1:00 PM

————————————————–
    Please refer to past Giants schedules. We’ve had this happen twice in recent years.

29. randomcommenter says:
    —————————-
    Yeah, like who? Woodley for game 2? Anyone else? Didn’t think so.

30. straighcashhomie84 says:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:49 PM

Vikes play CHI and GB 4 times the final 6 games of the season. Cant wait to sweep em both!

————————————————————-

Must be that delusional Pervy Harvin with another alter ego.

Time to take off the aluminum foil hat there, big guy.

31. I believe it was 2009, but the Eagles and Cowboys played 3 times in 4 weeks. Twice at the end of the season, and once the wildcard round of the playoffs.

For some reason, the schedule makers consistently schedule all of the Eagles division games at the end of the season, and all in a row. The schedule makers are terrible, and dont know how to spread things out correctly.

32. billsrone says:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:12 PM

Your [sic] an idiot!

————————

That’s showing him who the real idiot is!

33. How can you say the Skins have a tough schedule?
    Neither the Cowboys or Eagles had a winning record. The Skins swept the Giants.
    The Cowboys, despite the hype, are just another team-a Seattle or KC.