Two years after car crash, Chad Jones at Giants’ workouts

Chad Jones AP

Two years ago, LSU safety Chad Jones was the third-round pick of the Giants in the NFL draft. But shortly after he was drafted, he was injured so badly in a car crash that it looked like he’d never play in the NFL.

Jones, however, has continued working and rehabilitating his serious leg injury, and Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reports that Jones was outside running today at the team’s workout session. These are the first activities Jones has been able to participate in with his Giants teammates since that accident.

Before the Giants’ workouts, Jones told Newsday that people are going to be impressed with what kind of shape he’s in.

I’m definitely going up there to show what I can do,” Jones said. “I’m looking forward to being able to participate and show that I can still move around with the guys and I’m looking forward to it just to show them. Even if it’s two or three reps to show that I can still do it and I still have it in me.”

Anything Jones can do on a football field represents incredible progress.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Two years after car crash, Chad Jones at Giants’ workouts”
  1. fusion3450 says: Apr 17, 2012 4:26 PM

good luck chad. saints and tiger fans down here pulling for you

2. 49erstim says: Apr 17, 2012 4:27 PM

Wow. Good luck Sir. :-)

3. mike bonserio says: Apr 17, 2012 4:29 PM

Jones was a good talented safety coming out of college, would be a nice addition if he can actually contribute on the field this year. Best of luck to him!

4. zaggs says: Apr 17, 2012 4:32 PM

Meanwhile Drew Brees is sitting out. To some people its not about the money.

5. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 17, 2012 4:35 PM

Having crashed his car on the west coast, it took forever for Chad to hobble back to New Jersey with a damaged leg.

6. talkintrashallday says: Apr 17, 2012 4:39 PM

would the Giants be looked at as classless if they cut him?

7. cooklynn17 says: Apr 17, 2012 4:40 PM

You the man

8. canjura says: Apr 17, 2012 4:42 PM

I had Chad Jones as my starting S in Madden 10. Was sad when he wasn’t in Madden 11. -_-

9. primetime0552 says: Apr 17, 2012 4:43 PM

@zaggs

Drew Brees spent how much of HIS OWN money on lockout practices? He just wants to be paid like the other elite quarterbacks in the league. I’m sure you want to be paid accordingly in your job too, right?

10. jigwig13 says: Apr 17, 2012 4:44 PM

I can see the giants using him like Deon grant…if he can be what they drafted him for before the injury…they play with 3 safeties he’ll be the 3rd

11. reiriza says: Apr 17, 2012 4:46 PM

I’m a Giants fan, I hate Drew Brees and the Saints, but is it necessary for people to comment on Drew Brees in every article?

Let the man fight for his money. If we were in his position we would be doing the same.

12. staugslugga says: Apr 17, 2012 4:46 PM

Zags are you kidding?

Chad Jones has medical bills and whatnot to pay. And a life to live. It is about the money.

Brees wants to be paid what he’s worth. Shut up like you would leave money on the table in any situation. Are you kidding me?

13. agelardi says: Apr 17, 2012 4:55 PM

Considering how severe the injury was and there being a chance that he might never walk again, let alone practice/play, why did the Giants use a draft pick on him rather than just sign him as a free agent?

Not trying to be nasty or say he doesn’t deserve a shot, just wondering?

14. n0hopeleft says: Apr 17, 2012 4:59 PM

This is the best story of the entire off season.

15. pooflingingmonkey says: Apr 17, 2012 5:01 PM

Not a Giants fan, but I’ll pull for this kid. I love a good comeback story.

16. cardiovascularendurance says: Apr 17, 2012 5:08 PM

agelardi- have you graduated from middle school yet, or do you just need to brush up on your reading comprehension?

17. giants4life says: Apr 17, 2012 5:11 PM

In response to the comment above.
    He wasn’t in the accident until after the Giants drafted him.
    At the time of the accident they thought he might lose his leg. If he can come back and contribute at all on the field it will be the story of the year.

18. situsavaisprier says: Apr 17, 2012 5:13 PM

Great to see Chad Jones back on the field. I wish him all the best.

19. ctiggs says: Apr 17, 2012 5:15 PM

agelardi says:Apr 17, 2012 4:55 PM

Read the first paragraph again……….

20. 49erstim says: Apr 17, 2012 5:15 PM

@zaggs…. I hate to do this here in the comment section of a feel-good story, but all guys like Brees want is “fair market value” for their services. I’ll tell you what… If you and I both worked for PFT. I make 100,000 and you make 75,000. Now your contract is up and they offer you a 1 year contract of 85,000. Are you telling me that you don’t try and negotiate? C’mon now.

21. usmutts says: Apr 17, 2012 5:31 PM

This kid is a 100% total winner.

If I’m remembering this correctly, he helped his college win a national championship in football, then another national championship in baseball. Now he’s come back from almost having his leg amputated.

Did I mention that he’s a winner?

22. CKL says: Apr 17, 2012 5:32 PM

giants4life says:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:11 PM
    In response to the comment above.
    He wasn’t in the accident until after the Giants drafted him.
    _________________________________
    It’s fantastic that he’s worked this hard and gotten this far. Very inspirational. If he can play and contribute, I think he should be a lock for comeback player. However, the lazy media will probably vote for Peyton regardless of what any other player does, which is sad.

23. dirtybird28 says: Apr 17, 2012 5:35 PM

Even as a Cowboys fan, this is a great story. I wish him luck.

24. masochisticjetsfan says: Apr 17, 2012 5:36 PM

I remember a few summers ago reading PFT about how this dude was maybe going to lose his leg or his life. Amazing that he can come back from that. God bless.

-a classless Jets fan.

25. giantsfaninmia says: Apr 17, 2012 5:41 PM

Agelardi..the giants drafted him before he was in the car accident…..only the raiders would do something that foolish.If I recall chad was good value in the 3rd round and Jerry Reese is definitely one of the top GMs in the league ..to have come back from that accident is a testament to his determination and love of the game..BTW the giants let him keep his signing bonus which was about 800K…

26. itsmebobd says: Apr 17, 2012 6:22 PM

giantsfaninmia says:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:41 PM
    BTW the giants let him keep his signing bonus which was about 800K…

*************************
    That is pure class on the giants ownerships part, im not being sarcastic, that is amazing. As a bengals fan, I dont know if mike brown let that 1 CB, weathersby or weatherspoon? keep his bonus. Anyhow, that is awesome, instead of kicking a guy while he is down they let him keep that so he could pay half his medical bills. Quite amazing, and a true story of heart!

27. blitzburgh43 says: Apr 17, 2012 6:42 PM

Good luck, Chad! All football fans should be rooting for this young man!

28. worldchampsbaby says: Apr 17, 2012 6:45 PM

As a lifelong (since 1958 season)Giant fan I love football and what my Giants do on the field.None of which compares to the way they are compassionate to their players and others,I am just lucky I got born into the Giant family.

29. thraiderskin says: Apr 17, 2012 6:49 PM

Good luck man

30. wferg1121 says: Apr 17, 2012 6:52 PM

Giants are a classy organization, they not only let him keep his bonus but he was flown to NY and had some of his surgeries. I remember reading a article that he was waiting for the lockout to end to have his final surgery because he couldn’t pay for it. In other words he was under the Giants care since the initial injury in New Orleans. Chad Jones also remained on the Giants non football injury list and was on the sideline at the Saints game. Finally, was flown out to the Super Bowl, not bad for a guy who never even played a snap for them. TRUE CLASS!

31. catquick says: Apr 17, 2012 10:49 PM

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Apr 17, 2012 11:08 PM

I HOPE WE GET HIM BACK THIS YEAR.

33. applecool1981 says: Apr 18, 2012 1:58 AM

catquick says: Apr 17, 2012 10:49 PM

“Back when this happened, I said “GOD BLESS” on ESPN.com, and had a barrage of atheist nitwits attack me for it. At the time I never heard of PFT.com. I simply responded that they didn’t know what they were talking about, and even though they were insulting, ignorant and rude and I wasn,t, ESPN banned me for my remark. For wishing “GOD BLESS” to a young man who was maybe going to die? ESPN.com and their posters have absolutely no class. I was befuddled that in this day and age religious bias was a mainstay of a large corp. like ESPN. They said it violated the terms of use agreement. HUH? Saying “GOD BLESS?” I’m so glad he’s back. Hope he’s great, even though the Gmen beat my Bills in the SB. It truly is a great story. I was wondering about him while watching the SB this year.”

——————————————————————————————————–

David, is that you?

34. applecool1981 says: Apr 18, 2012 2:07 AM

I’m leaving a comment, because I forgot to check the “Notify me of follow up commits via email” box on my last post.