Nick Collins still waiting to learn if he can keep playing

Super Bowl XLV Getty Images

Nick Collins was supposed to hear medical opinions about his ability to keep playing football after undergoing fusion surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck a couple of weeks ago, but the word never came.

It still hasn’t come and it appears to be unlikely that there will be any definitive answer to questions about his future before the draft next week. Collins’ agent Alan Herman told Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette that Collins still hasn’t gotten all the advice he wants to get before making a decision and that there still isn’t a feel for what the outcome will be when all the advice comes in.

“All the opinions aren’t in and I think he’s getting another opinion,” Herman said. “That doctor was not available — he was on vacation — so I’m hopeful soon. But I think he’s got another meeting with one of the (doctors).”

There’s no guarantee that the Packers will be the team that Collins plays for if he decides to continue his career. Getting cleared by doctors isn’t the same as passing a team physical. Mike McCarthy said this month that he would advise Collins to retire if Collins was his son and that could signal their desire to go with a less risky option at safety next season.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Nick Collins still waiting to learn if he can keep playing”
  1. talkintrashallday says: Apr 18, 2012 9:17 AM

Peyton Manning: “Hell yea you can play!…I think….”

2. binkystevens says: Apr 18, 2012 9:24 AM

Nick – as much as I love having you in the locker room and on the team, the longer this drags on, the more you need to really consider hanging ‘em up. The fact that you’re still seeking opinions and haven’t gotten a definitive “yes” is a bad sign. We’ll miss you.

3. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 18, 2012 9:25 AM

Any team that allows him back in the league is guilty of terrible judgment.

Collins should be told to enjoy his life, invest his millions wisely, and forget about football.

4. 319hike says: Apr 18, 2012 9:26 AM

The most manly thing you can do is take care of your family first.

5. clarkisgod says: Apr 18, 2012 9:59 AM

I’ve had neck fusion, and I agree that I don’t think he should play. It’s not like a knee replacement(had that too). He, regardless of what he says, will be overly self-consious, and his play will probably regress because of it. I obviously wish him the best on HIS decison.

signed

packer fan.

6. bubbaone says: Apr 18, 2012 10:07 AM

7. mnpackersfan says: Apr 18, 2012 10:12 AM

Alper you read McCarthy ‘s comment dead wrong. It was made with respect to Collins’ interests, not the team’s. The context around it at the time made that abundantly clear. The Packers would LOVE to have Nick back- did see see their secondary without him last year?

8. kidpresentable says: Apr 18, 2012 10:30 AM

“I’m going the conspiracy theory route. Collins and the Packers know but the team asked Collins to hold off til after the draft so it doesn’t give other teams an edge.”

While I fully believe the Packers and Collins will make the right decision for all parties involved, I also believe Bubbaone is completely right. We should know Nick Collins fate by the end of the second round.

9. buckybadger says: Apr 18, 2012 10:40 AM

As much as I hope he comes back if he does I hope he is 100%. Nick got his 2nd contract so he should be OK from a financial point of view, he also isn’t an idiot so he should still have it.

10. porterhouse12 says: Apr 18, 2012 11:00 AM

Wish you the best Nick. If you are not as smart as I would like to give you credit for, John Elway is standing by waiting for you call.

11. jazzytrav says: Apr 18, 2012 11:14 AM

Any comparison to Peyton Manning is just misguided. Manning doesn’t have to lunge forward head first to tackle a receiver coming across the middle. Collins doesn’t get to wear a red jersey at practice.

12. PackersHome.com says: Apr 18, 2012 11:42 AM

@binkystevens,

How do you know it is a fact that he’s seeking others opinions because he has not received a definitive “yes” as of yet? Not calling you out, simply curious because all that’s been said locally is they are acquiring a plethora of information from doctors to make the best decision possible. Which makes sense. You obtain as much information as you can when making an important decision.

My personal take on it was if there’s even 1% more risk than prior to the injury of Nick Collins being hurt further, he should retire.

13. colinsnooks says: Apr 18, 2012 11:45 AM

Fusion surgery?

I suppose the Packers should sign him to a new contract, pay him a huge signing bonus, put him on IR, and then cut him before next season.

This GM stuff is easy.

14. iamthorny says: Apr 18, 2012 12:03 PM

I’m just glad Nick Collins isn’t draft eligible next week, because Ted Thompson just loves drafting talented guys with injury histories…

15. bubbaone says: Apr 18, 2012 12:26 PM

Great comment thorny. I always appreciate when one doesn’t hide their ignorance.

16. dickpoundsit says: Apr 18, 2012 12:43 PM

Good luck, Nick. You were exciting to watch and still remain a class act and one of the better safeties in the league. You will be missed!

17. patsaintsbroncoscheat says: Apr 18, 2012 1:52 PM

I hope he does play for the Packers again. Even at half speed he would be better than our current options. It is his choice if doctors clear him someone will let him play it might as well be the Packers! That said I hope he is better (physically speaking) than we all think.

18. stavreafavre says: Apr 18, 2012 3:58 PM

Time to walk away. While he can walk.

19. iamthorny says: Apr 18, 2012 7:46 PM

bubbaone says: Apr 18, 2012 12:26 PM

===perhaps, “bubba”, you should learn the definition of “ignorance”. Ted Thompson has a history of drafting guys with pretty extensive injury histories. Do Justin Harrell, Mike Neal, James Starks, Brandon Jackson, etc. ring any bells for you?

I’m a Packers fan of 30 plus years. I hated seeing NC hit the turf at Carolina. Sadly, his career is over.

Sorry, a moment of levity was lost on you and you want to play Collins keeper as if you’re somehow indignant that your perception I’ve done Nick Collins an injustice in some way. The shot was at our GM with a propensity for drafting guys with injury histories. Lighten up.