Niners are selling $80,000 PSLs

49ers_fan_137016891_620x350 Getty Images

At a time when the NFL is trying to entice people to choose to attend games in person, the application of an $80,000 PSL to 1,000 seats in the 49ers forthcoming stadium hasn’t deterred folks from signing up.

According to Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle, the 1,000 tickets costing $375 per game and 80 large for the lifetime of the stadium are nearly sold out.

Not everyone is reacting well to the new prices.  66-year-old Henry Gross has season tickets on the 50-yard line at Candlestick Monster Park (or whatever they call the place) at $129 per game.  To keep the seats, he’ll have to pay $350 per ticket, plus a one-time PSL of $30,000 for each seat.

“The sentimental side of me says, yes, absolutely, even if I had to mortgage my entire estate,” Gross told Ostler.  “But the realistic side of me says, why would I do that?  So I can tell someone I’m now 65 years as a season-ticket holder?  I love and cherish that, but nobody in my family, and none of my friends, think it’s a good investment.  Not even the ones that I take to games.

“I took [the 49ers' proposal] to two people I’m close to, guys who are much wealthier than I am. They had been season-ticket holders in the past. I asked each, independently, would they like the rights?  Is it a good deal?  Both of them told me it’s horrible.”

Even if Gross thinks it’s a “horrible” deal, the 49ers are banking on enough people with enough money choosing to give enough of that money to the 49ers in order to generate enough of the money necessary to pay for the new stadium.

It’s part of the complex balance between public and private contributions to a new stadium.  If the public wants to minimize the contribution, the moral obligation to include large numbers of tickets the public readily can afford is reduced, if such obligation even exists.  Either way, the stadium has to be paid for.

Then there’s the reality of economics.  Supply.  Demand.  If people will pay the money, then the price is right.  If they won’t, the price point needs to be adjusted.

The more that people want something, the more the price will increase.  In a market where plenty of really rich people reside, it’s no surprise that the PSLs are moving — and it’s no surprise that people who don’t want to pay that much to continue doing what they’ve been doing are upset.

As long as enough people will write the check, it doesn’t matter.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
70 Responses to “Niners are selling $80,000 PSLs”
  1. cakemixa says: Apr 18, 2012 7:36 PM

What sane person would pay that amount of money to watch game manager of the century, Alex Smith, play QB for your team? Lol.

2. ausernamethatisavailable says: Apr 18, 2012 7:36 PM

Fair weather fans.

3. underrated49ers says: Apr 18, 2012 7:41 PM

It already was proven that people would pay it in New York, Dallas and Induanapolis(?) so why would they stop now?

4. tinbender2000 says: Apr 18, 2012 7:42 PM

Mr. Henry Gross, I’m almost as old as you. Do yourself a big favor. Take around $20,000 of that money if that’s easy on your budget, and build a theater in your house, with a bar. It’s good for more than just 49’er games, you’ll have a better seat and a better view I promise.

5. sbxxix says: Apr 18, 2012 7:43 PM

Is this golf? Is the NFL only trying to attract rich people? Don’t get me wrong I get what they’re doing but this is going too far. Soon they’ll be serving wine, tea and hors d’oeuvres
    instead of beer, soda and burgers. I’ll stay at home instead watch the game in HD and have all the beer and wings I can handle without breaking my wallet

6. raiderinva says: Apr 18, 2012 7:44 PM

I hope that Florio does not get the idea to sell PSL Memberships to PFT. Posting here is in no way worth 80 large for a lifetime.

Hell I would rather by a PFT t-shirt for 10 bucks then pay for a membership….. oh wait

Never mind, move along, nothing to read here…..

7. briang123 says: Apr 18, 2012 7:44 PM

I can easily afford $129 a game. But $60 large? Even if I could afford it my wife would divorce me if I paid it. Hmmm. Then again, let me see if I have $60K laying around.

8. jason1980 says: Apr 18, 2012 7:46 PM

Well, when the 49’ers fall back down to earth this coming season, it’s gonna really hurt. They will venture into irrelevancy for another 10 years.

9. wrathofgodzilla says: Apr 18, 2012 7:48 PM

@ sbxxix

10. restitutororbis says: Apr 18, 2012 7:49 PM

tinbender2000 says:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:42 PM

Mr. Henry Gross, I’m almost as old as you. Do yourself a big favor. Take around $20,000 of that money if that’s easy on your budget, and build a theater in your house, with a bar. It’s good for more than just 49′er games, you’ll have a better seat and a better view I promise.
    ____________________________

Totally agree. And you can have more friends there too.

11. jcg23 says: Apr 18, 2012 7:49 PM

For the last 20 years the NFL has been pricing average Joe’s out of football stadiums.

12. mataug says: Apr 18, 2012 7:50 PM

I don’t think people are noticing the important bit here – this is for 1,000 seats. There are always seats in the stadium which normal people like us can never afford and these seats are an example of such seats. Watching football has become a very expensive chore but frankly, this article is exaggerating it w/o proper context provided to it.

13. sonnyandsam says: Apr 18, 2012 7:52 PM

If Dan Snyder ever builds a new stadium and requires PSLs, I’m done as a season ticket holder. I’ll watch on the TV in my living room.

The NFL is nuts expecting people to pay that kind of money. Most of the people you get are part time fans with little emotion and allegiance to the team. And the NFL owners wonder why the home field is not the advantage it once was. Visiting fans invade home fields because the season ticket holders can’t afford to go to the games themselves or seats go empty. They have to sell most tickets just to go to a select few games.

14. nineroutsider says: Apr 18, 2012 7:52 PM

You can also buy a $75,000 home in Little Rock for $750,000 in the Bay Area, especially the peninsula and South Bay, if you’re interested…

I love this area, but WOW is it expensive!

15. steviemo says: Apr 18, 2012 7:56 PM

This is a joke, pricing out the loyal fan base for the sake of monster corporate/rich boy dollars.

This will come back to haunt the money-grubbing NFL and its owners. Mark my words — it’s only a matter of time.

16. sonnyandsam says: Apr 18, 2012 7:57 PM

wrathofgodzilla says: Apr 18, 2012 7:48 PM

@ sbxxix

“It’s only 1000 seats… I’m sure the new studio has a few more than that, knucklehead.”

Those 1000 seats are the $80,000 per seat PSLs. All the other seats will just have slightly lower PSLs. The old man in the story would be required to pay $30,000 per seat for the privilege of paying triple what he pays now for season tickets.

Read the story carefully knucklehead.

17. 49erdynasty says: Apr 18, 2012 7:58 PM

As someone with 49er seat tickets… I was told all the $80k seats are sold out and the club level seats are 50% sold. There are 9k club level seats (lower 2 levels between the 20s).

In addition the per game cost for those club level seats are $325-350 / ticket (incl pre-season games.

There’s wayyy too much money in the Bay.

18. gpete1962 says: Apr 18, 2012 7:58 PM

read the fine print again !! The contract for PSL’s say for the life of the stadium and only that stadium.

So when they rebuild or remodel 20 years from now, your PSL’s will be worth nothing. These PSL’s are the biggest scam in the world. Fat cat owners build all that luxury crap to cater to 10% fo there rich friends and get 90% of the real fans to pay for it.

To prove my point. Giants stadium went from 1,2 million square ft to 3.2 million square ft and only added 4000 more stadium seats.

Instead of just raising ticket prices, which they did anyway they gutted the fans who supported them for 40 ,50 and 60 years.

What a shame !!

19. ownbay says: Apr 18, 2012 8:01 PM

I’ll be watching for free from my couch.

20. patsfan87 says: Apr 18, 2012 8:13 PM

Thank god we have Robert Kraft as a owner in New England. I am a 22 year season ticket holder and when Gillette Stadium was built the notion of PSL’s were never discussed. He kept the stadium affordable for all of us to enjoy. He required 10 year contracts with 2 years up front for club seats and luxury boxes. Naming rights which paid for most of the stadium construction plus television revenue. Now the stadium is paid in full. Still has a note on the mall construction however that is a separate issue. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Transportation only had to pay for instructure on Route 1 which is a state road.
    The only issue is the $40 to park the car for each game lol.

21. bobhk says: Apr 18, 2012 8:18 PM

cakemixa says:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:36 PM
    ——–
    You can’t afford it so your opinion is worth what’s in your head (nothing).

22. dadawg77 says: Apr 18, 2012 8:20 PM

The $30K PSL would work to an extra $187.50 a ticket per game for 20 years. That’s almost 50% surcharge based on the current price.

23. mikeinsanfran says: Apr 18, 2012 8:26 PM

sonnyandsam – Educate yourself before you pop off. Jed York came out and already said multiple times there will be more than +10,000 seats with NO PSL’s.

24. bearsnoah says: Apr 18, 2012 8:28 PM

Taxpayer money should not go to build privately owned stadiums. Period.

25. heisthejuan says: Apr 18, 2012 8:29 PM

The Bay Area is in the midst of a second tech bubble. It’s like 1998 again. Of course, 98 was followed by 2001, so I hope the Niners get cash up front on those PSLs.

26. amaf21 says: Apr 18, 2012 8:39 PM

really? i guess medical marijuana is good for the economy.

27. bobhk says: Apr 18, 2012 8:47 PM

@bearsnoah says:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:28 PM
    Taxpayer money should not go to build privately owned stadiums. Period.
    —–
    Santa Clara stadium won’t be privately owned. It’ll be owned by Santa Clara Stadium Authority (a govt organization). 49ers will be the primary residents.

@heisthejuan

If you are around here (and were here in the late 90s) you’ll realize this a lot different. There are actually companies of substance…

28. joecool16280 says: Apr 18, 2012 8:49 PM

Whatever it takes to keep the rif raff out I’m on board with. Over the last decade the Raider fan type crowd has been seeping in and its hurt the fan base.

29. stevenfbrackett says: Apr 18, 2012 8:52 PM

Okay, I’ll ask. What the hell is a PSL? I have never seen or heard that acronym before.

30. azredwood says: Apr 18, 2012 8:53 PM

I have been a life long NFL fan of my team. Only been to a few games in my life. I have some items I have purchased..i.e. jersey, hat..etc. I used to have the NFL ticket, new place couldn’t get it, thought I would die. Went to the local bar, have a meal, read a book and watch the game. Spent maybe $200 last year to watch. NFL priced me out years ago. Went to a game a few years ago at the local stadium, Phoenix, $40 for parking, $200 for tix, bad seats, so I could be hot in my seat, listen to the drunks abuse me because I was rooting for my team and not theirs, don’t even get me started on the prices for the food and crap they sell there. NFL is chasing the almighty dollar, the sooner we stop giving it to them, the sooner they will wake up. I don’t see it happening soon. Just my .2 cents.

31. sbxxix says: Apr 18, 2012 8:57 PM

@ wrathofgodzilla

I get that. My point is going to the game is getting too expensive. This is a a small example of an even bigger problem. I read the article, it’s right above, I see it. Look beyond what’s infront of you tho. You must be a Drew Brees/Saints fan cuz you need an explanation. Dumb ass. I’m sure if you smell your finger it smells like your own fundillo.

32. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Apr 18, 2012 8:58 PM

PSL’s are the biggest scam in sports. Who conceived of this concept, Bernie Madoff?

33. jfd349 says: Apr 18, 2012 8:58 PM

*****************
    My ticket rep just last week said that every seat in the stadium will have a SBL attached to it.

********************************
    They will be worth nothing if at any point you decide not to repurchase the season tickets. Even though you “own” the seat, if at any time you decide not to buy the actual season tickets, your rights to that seat are lost, and the 49ers can legally then resell the SBL out from under you. Total garbage in my opinion.

34. sbxxix says: Apr 18, 2012 8:59 PM

sonnyandsam says:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:57 PM
    wrathofgodzilla says: Apr 18, 2012 7:48 PM

@ sbxxix

Read the story carefully knucklehead.

___________________________

Thanks sonnyandsam. You beat me to it. As I stated above, I’m sure that guy is a Drew Brees/Saints fan lol.

35. packerpride03 says: Apr 18, 2012 9:04 PM

Love going to games no matter who is playing. My dad is a raider season ticket holder and these kinda prices make the average fan not be able to afford the games. It’s just plain bs that this kind of thing is going on.

36. dmackdaddy says: Apr 18, 2012 9:06 PM

They ask for you r SSN and do a credit check and you have to pay 10% for each seat when you sign. Then 2% a year till 2014 when the park is up and ready for the 2014 season. They break ground this week. After that you can pay the remainder of the money or finance it over 10 years at 8.25% interest. Plus pay your season tix fees.

There are only 9K CL seats of 69K total. They run $80K, $30K or $20K. You now only get seats from the 50 to the 30 yard line but access to multiple CL like restaurants, bars, no cut off at the 4th quarter, dibs on concerts, other sporting events, etc. $80K CL seats get Super Bowl tickets for our SB or any SB played there.

So let me break it down:

$20K Seat:

2012: $2000
    2013: $2000
    2014: $2000
    —————–
    Total $6000 paid, now you have $14K left. Those $14K you can pay in a lump sum or $3500/year for 10 years. These seats are $325/game, times 10 games (preseason) you pay another $3250/year for your seats or $6750 a year to watch yoru 6 time super bowl 49ers!

Doesnt seem that much until you figure you really get or more seats! Then everything is 2x! Gets worse at $30K and $80K!

But this is silicon valley. Companines IPO all the time and there is money and folks love the Niners. Facebook employees will gobble up what ever is left once they IPO in the summer.

You also get 1st crack at your old seats. I’m probably going to get both CL and my old seats and try to make some money somewhere. If you factor in that for the last 10 years I’ve been paying $40 per ticket, you realize that this was coming. I was saving easily $100/week for the years the team sucked and now its time to pay that up!

37. dmackdaddy says: Apr 18, 2012 9:08 PM

Also, what price do you pay on being able to run into the CL, buy a beer and a dog, take a pee and not have to wait in a long line with the common folks? That alone might be worth it for many.

38. noeffinway says: Apr 18, 2012 9:16 PM

This got me thinking…..finally….but who gets the new seats that GB is putting in? Do they go to the top of that legendary waiting list? Or to the high bidders?

39. niner13 says: Apr 18, 2012 9:23 PM

My wife and I sold our first born to the Bulgarian mafia so we could buy the PSLs, aka BSLs or Business Seat licenses. We’ll sell our second born to the Russian mafia in order to pay for the tickets to the games. Depending on the price for a beer and a hotdog, we think the one in the oven is safe for now.

40. paulrg77 says: Apr 18, 2012 9:24 PM

It’s the loyalty of fans like Mr. Gross over the years that now allow NFL teams to charge such crazy PSL and ticket prices. It really is a shame that this is what the league has come to. I understand at the end of the day that the NFL is a business, but stories like this make my stomach turn.

41. uptowndan says: Apr 18, 2012 9:27 PM

The York’s are willing to finance your purchase @ 8.5% per year. You can get a home loan at about 4%. More ways that they can rip off “The Faithfull”.

42. cowboyscanada says: Apr 18, 2012 9:31 PM

Insane! Save your $,

43. sloiggles says: Apr 18, 2012 9:33 PM

80000 for the rights to spend more money and buy tickets. You could spend $500 per regular season game for ten years for just the cost of a PSL. unbelievable. P.T. Barnum must be gloating right now.

44. juanhughjazz says: Apr 18, 2012 9:33 PM

It’s stories like this that make me root for a London Super Bowl. It’s not like real fans are going. Just posers who like to show how much money they have to waste.

If the Lions ever required me to purchase a PSL, I’d give up my seats(and I love my seats)

45. peternorth1 says: Apr 18, 2012 9:38 PM

This is a little too much math for me. So you have to pay $350 per ticket. Plus $30,000? And thats for only 1 seat. Wow. I’d rather go to my local rent-a-center and get the most expensive la-z-boy recliner . And enjoy the game(s) @ home.

46. urrealitycheck says: Apr 18, 2012 9:51 PM

California……the GOLD RUSH never ended!!!!!

ALL CRAZYS WELCOME….we need someone to keep paying for our debt!!!!

47. bobhk says: Apr 18, 2012 10:03 PM

Most people here don’t even have basic economics education. Like the article says its basic supply and demand. If there are people buying them up then the pricing is totally justified.
    If you don’t think it’s worth it or can’t afford it just watch at home .

These are the same people complaining about the price of iPad and saying apple is greedy. Just don’t buy it. If enough people don’t they will change the price or go out of business.

48. duncanthecat says: Apr 18, 2012 10:08 PM

Talk about class warfare.

The riff raff will go to the Raider games and the new Facebook, Google and Apple rich will go to the 49er games, and they will have to be told when to cheer.

Thank goodness I will not be part of either, and I live within an hour of both.

49. choppinwood says: Apr 18, 2012 10:08 PM

Just more corporate greed meant to bleed loyal fans dry. Just another reason to invest more in my humble man cave

50. eknirb says: Apr 18, 2012 10:14 PM

it will be the coolest place in the league–and we need it. have you SEEN Candlestick lately? You know, the one where the LIGHTS WENT OUT?

51. urlacher2000 says: Apr 18, 2012 10:14 PM

I feel bad for 49ers fans. PSLs were too successful at other stadiums. The Bears openly admit that they “under-priced” their PSLs (because they sold out too fast…..with very few people dropping their season tickets). Each team since has charged a little more and a little more. My 4 x 100 level, 15 yard line, 8th row, visitor’s side PSLs cost me about $12k total. A few years later, I sold them for over $20k each. The next day I bought 2 x 200 level PSLs on the Bear’s sideline for $18k total.

52. ima9er4life says: Apr 18, 2012 10:22 PM

All the TRUE niner fans from Frisco can’t afford that, its goin to be rich white folks drinkin wine that don’t know nothin bout my niners. Santa Clara said that there won’t be violence like in SF. I ain’t wit the violence, but the soul and flava will be lost.

53. ima9er4life says: Apr 18, 2012 10:28 PM

They movin out of SF cuz they going to rebuild and tear down the hood and projects and kick people out of 1 of many hoodsmout here in SF. Just sad

54. nofaceangler718 says: Apr 18, 2012 10:33 PM

The horrible, detestable, despicable irony of all this is that not just did we pay for the stadium as taxpayers, but we will be providing the money for the PSL’s too. Its the same way with all the suites. Big corporations buy them up and write them off from the small amount of taxes they pay by calling them a business expense for entertaining clients. How terrible is that? Not only are loyal fans who have attended games for generations to be shut out of a stadium they helped to pay for, but their tax dollars will be used to pay for the PSL’s for their own seats!!!!!!! I don’t care if you are a republican or democrat, but that is just plain wrong!!!!

55. Lucky82 says: Apr 18, 2012 10:52 PM

The John York family is a Cancer to the NFL and trust fund chump Jeb boy have destroyed a NFL franchise for disgusting self greed.

After 30 years as a season ticket holder and a SF native, the old and true fans are only are seeing this franchise being turned into a sewage heap of destroyed history and pride.

Yes the Cancer York Family backed off and found someone to run the show with Harbaugh, but they still reak of Ohio and the NFL failures of running a class pro football team (anyone in Ohio like your owners or had a winner lately?). Eddie had heart and class, these current maggots only have greed and no concern for team or local fan loyalty.

Where’ the Christopher Milk Section from Kezar days? Gone. It was a builder of future 9er fans Sold out, like York family. Goodell, I’m sure your proud of representing these maggots as the owners as they have paid you off well and your easily been bought. This is the example of how America kills the golden goose and spirit.

When Facebook, Yahoo and Microsoft line up with no loyalty, just a box for a false e/hyper space entertainment moment for customers rather than NFL fans, I’ll enjoy watching the empty blacked out stadium on the Sunday ticket.

May the Failure be with you Yorks- you deserve and have earned it!

56. ymann19 says: Apr 18, 2012 11:02 PM

There is a sucker born every minute! I love how people just love to give billionaires that much money just so they can say ” hey look at me I am a dumb ass who paid $80,000 just so I could spend $300 a ticket to watch football”

57. jodave5 says: Apr 18, 2012 11:07 PM

I’m 46 yrs old and am entering my 28th season as a Chiefs season ticket holder. There’s not a more blindly loyal STH than I supporting their team. I was transferred to Atlanta and then St. Louis and still kept my season tickets and attended home games but the milli-second Clark Hunt instigates ANY type of PSL, I am gone and that will suck.

58. despenc925 says: Apr 18, 2012 11:10 PM

as a 49er faithful and season ticket holder since 2007…you may be outta you damn mind if you think Ima pay that shyt! I’ll buy a house 1st and kill off my bills before I make that move!

59. thehawg says: Apr 18, 2012 11:16 PM

People with that type of money don’t spend there time on Profootballtalk, I rather watch the game at a local sports bar ..

60. morgan420 says: Apr 19, 2012 12:09 AM

Tickets are so expensive I have never been to a game in my life. Thank you NFL and you rich investors that think you can run something you know nothing about.

61. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Apr 19, 2012 12:45 AM

Seattle is soooo f**ken poor…..dumbass canadian wannabe communist douches!!

they crashed off the universe after their gay sex with Los Angeles!

62. bobhk says: Apr 19, 2012 2:04 AM

morgan420 says:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:09 AM
    ————
    This is so hilarious. Their problem that you don’t have enough money to afford it?
    Apparently the people buying up those PSLs do (quite a few of them I understand).

So NFL and the rich investors know nothing about running NFL teams?

63. patsaintsbroncoscheat says: Apr 19, 2012 3:02 AM

Seems a little expensive for one fluke good year after a decade of incompetence. What will they charge after they fail to make the playoffs this year?

64. bryans49ers says: Apr 19, 2012 4:16 AM

No loyalty to the fan base! This sport is all about the money and its getting harder to support. . You lose your favorite players to free agency, they are destroying the game with all the rule changes, tv blackouts, and a code of conduct rule for unruly fans? The price of admission is way over priced

65. qodrn says: Apr 19, 2012 5:08 AM

PSLs are Personal Seat Licenses. The idea is that you pay this extra fee and for a period of years you are guarenteed a particular seat that can’t be switched without your permission. Plus, you also have to pay for your tickets each year. What a PSL really is is a extra fee tacked on to sit in a certain seat. The extra fees are used to retire debt for a new stadium – supposedly. Some teams only hit the fans up for these things one time; then they go away. PSLs are not refundable. If you give up your tickets (don’t pay the bill each year) the money is down the drain.
    PSLs are just a horrible idea in my opinion. This is crazy for the ticket holder who is out the money, but many never see the games in question. The Raiders tried this once in Oakland. It do not work.

66. qodrn says: Apr 19, 2012 5:11 AM

I would personally like to see Congress outlaw the PSLs.

67. BigBeachBall says: Apr 19, 2012 6:42 AM

go watch the games from your broken down dilapidated apartments and track homes losers… i’m paying the 80k and getting wasted in the fourth quarter and nothing you say will change that…

68. patsfan87 says: Apr 19, 2012 11:31 AM

BigBeachBall says:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:42 AM
    go watch the games from your broken down dilapidated apartments and track homes losers… i’m paying the 80k and getting wasted in the fourth quarter and nothing you say will change that.

Your arrogance is the very reason why Silicon Valley is a complete failure. While your at it go have a few more plastic surgeries, recreational drugs , and over leverage yourself to a point where your credit cards are over the limit living paycheck to paycheck. And in a few yrs I’ll be the one buying your house out of foreclosure. And I do not live a trailer or a apartment. And if I did whose business is it of yours?

69. japadacktle49 says: Apr 19, 2012 3:30 PM

What a joke there will be no home field advantage all of these PSL’$ will be purchased by big business and all of the social media tools in the South Bay who will give the tickets to their clients, friends and family who are not Faithful 49er fans. The same morons who cheer when the 49er offense is in the huddle & are completely silent when the opponent’s offense is on the field..
    Unless they release seats without PSL’$ I will not be able to continue my longtime tenure as a season ticket holder.
    Sad days for my football team.

70. wclark22 says: Apr 19, 2012 11:53 PM

Mark my words. You think this is ridiculous? Just wait, eventually ALL NFL games will be pay per view. That’s where this is heading.

Bottom Line….. GREED.