Report: Arkansas reached out to Pete Carroll

AP

The University of Arkansas recently fired head coach Bobby Petrino, and is now in the process of replacing him. According to a report from 5 News Arkansas, one of the Razorbacks’ first targets was Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll.

5 News reports that university officials contacted Carroll, but he turned them down.

The report also states that NFL Network’s Steve Mariucci reached out to Arkansas about the school’s opening. Mariucci has been trying to get back into coaching for awhile. He also has the endorsement of Carroll.

“I still love the Arkansas fight song,” Carroll wrote on Twitter late Wednesday. “But Mooch is the man. Go Razorbacks!”

56 responses to “Report: Arkansas reached out to Pete Carroll

1. “Mooch” is Mariucci’s nickname.

——————————-

Yes. Yes it is.

Thank you for that.

2. Word is that current UAB head coach and last year’s Arkansas offensive coordinator Garrick McGee will be announced as the new UA coach by Monday.

As far as guys like Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden go, hey- it can’t hurt to ask.

3. Based on this, it doesn’t look like Arkansas learned their lesson; they went from having a morally inept coach to pursing someone who fled college coaching because of sanctions that he help created at Southern California.

4. Don’t be surprised to see Petrino back on the Arkansas sideline coaching…but wearing Groucho Marx glasses.

5. NFC West is easier then comPETEing in the SEC. I’m sure he’d be taking a paycut too since Carroll makes like 5 million a season.

Now on to the Carroll cheats comments….

6. “Mooch” doesn’t have the college experience to take on a top-flight SEC team. He couldn’t handle the recruiting competition. And Long must be out of his mind to consider going from Bobby Petrino to Pete Carroll. Does he want NCAA investigators camped on the Hogs’ doorstep just waiting for Carroll to put one toe over the line? It doesn’t sit well with them that Carroll and Bush skipped out while USC took the fall.

7. Mooch was a good NFL coach. I can’t understand how he can’t another shot when terrible pro head coaches like Carrol, Turner, and Lewis have jobs.

8. Not a fan of USC or Seattle, but why would anyone go from one of the best (if not the best) college gigs to a pretty good NFL gig to a school destined to play second fiddle to the SEC powers? Can’t blame them for trying but that would be a serious step down for Carrol.

9. “Mooch” is Mariucci’s nickname.

If you need to read this comment to keep up with the story…… You don’t need to read the story in the first place.

Can we get a Lane Kiffin mention somewhere?

10. Poor Mooch having a hard time getting back into coaching. Detroit Lions HC position has been kiss of death for many in last 20 years before recent success of Jim Schwartz.
    Mariucci, Morninweg, & Marinelli were all good coordinators, but unable to handle the top job. Similar to the likes of Buddy Ryan, Dom Capers, Hue Jackson, Mike Mularkey, Cam Cameron, Jim Zorn, Steve Spagnuolo, etc.

11. Mariucci is a pretty good coach, and seems like a good guy. I don’t know about handling recruiting competition, but I feel like he would work well with college kids.

12. Mooch really does deserve a chance considering what he’s had to deal with post-Steve Young era. 49ers were so much in cap hell with dead money they went into games a few players short because they couldn’t even afford minimum salaries. Mooch developed Jeff Garcia and brought them back to the playoffs twice.

Then he goes to Detroit and was setup to fail miserably with Matt Millen at the controls. He doesn’t get a pass for that?

13. Why is everyone hating on Carroll? Last I checked he is a pretty good coach. Look at some of the players on the roster that were castoffs or late round draft picks who are playing very well in Seattle: KJ Wright, Chris Clemons, Cam Chancellor (sp?), Marshawn Lynch, Mike Williams, Doug Baldwin, Red Bryant, Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, and don’t forget that Tom Cable worked magic on that O line this last year also.

He’s building a team and they have turned many lemons into lemonade, with yet another solid draft they will be a very good team especially if Flynn plays at a solid level.

14. If I remember correctly, besides the other stuff Pete Careless got away with was an affair with a Co-ed at USC as reported here.
    Good call Arkansas, don’t see any issues there.

15. Deb says:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:15 PM
    ____________________________________________________

And you’re basing that off of what exactly?

16. “But Mooch is the man.”

Pete sounds like some popular hot-to-trot debutante being asked to the sock hop by some average looking fellow but is rebuffed and offered an alternate chick instead: “Oh sorry love but me friend Margaret over there with the thick glasses and braces is itching to go to the shindig. Hey Margie! Come on over here!….”

Steve Mariucci: wallflower

17. Pete Carroll has done a very admirable job in just two years with a pretty bad Seattle roster. Now, he has made literally hundreds of roster adjustments and the team is a lot more competitive whether people want to admit that are not. I don’t think Pete is being loyal, the richest owner in football (by far) is paying him handsomely. He did start something and I’d like to see him finish it. I like Pete and I had my doubts whether or not he could be successful at the pro level. It’s a different game and many college coaches have tried to make the transition before and failed. I know that he had mediocre results at New England, but give the man a chance. I know this isn’t about coaching, but the people in Cleveland want Mike Holmgren the hell out of Ohio. What have you done for me lately syndrome. Only one team and 32 can win the Super Bowl. Everybody else is on the bubble of getting fired.Seattle is a very healthy franchise. I hope Paul Allen keeps it that way. So should everybody else in the country. Franchise relocations are bad for the league. I just want the NFL to be a healthy, stable league and hopefully with parity and the least amount of drama possible. Everybody wins in that scenario.

18. mrplow3 says:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:19 PM

=====================

Yes, Mooch was a great NFL coach.

19. All Arkansas has to do is wait until half way thru the NFL season and take which ever loser coach walks out on his team. And then make him wear at least a football helmet when he rides his Harley. Remember Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider?

20. 1. Pete’s ego would never let him go back to Arky – second rate program.

2. Pete’s not that great if a coach – great recruiter, but so so coach that attracted great coaches and great talent At USC. Arky is not USC’s league. It’s not even close. No way Pete replicates USC success at Arky. They don’t even think they can win a national championship or Heismann at Arky. It’s expected at USC.

21. Uh oh. What are people going to do now that they can’t use the “Carroll fled USC/college because of the upcoming sanctions” excuse?

You all had a good run. Morons.

22. Gotta hand it to Pete. The boy knows how to keep the moolah rolling in. He probably can’t believe it himself.

23. He was the King of Los Angeles at USC. He’s not going to get a better college gig than that, not at Arkansas, anyway.

Pete is a good coach and a good guy. Especially for a college team. He was a great influence and role model in L.A. and he’s missed.

If you know anything about the USC infractions, then you would know that Carroll sanctioned no more of what was going on than is done by any of the coaches at the major schools. How is he supposed to know how Reggie’s step-dad is spending his money? Reggie is the scum-bag, if you ask me, for not paying off the agent he took money from but didn’t sign with… just like everyone else does.

Carroll bailed at the end, but they would probably have had to fire him to save face anyway. I’m a Trojan, and I can’t help but root for him up in Seattle (or wherever.) Go get ’em Pete!

24. The University of Arkansas and Pete Carroll obviously have allot in common, they’re both morally bankrupt.

25. rexismybff says: Apr 19, 2012 12:59 AM

mrplow3 says:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:19 PM

=====================

Yes, Mooch was a great NFL coach.

=====================

You mean, like he did when he coached the 49ers?

26. Wow, a lot of ignorant people took time to trash on a couple of coaches about whom they seem to know only the most superficial (and obviously inaccurate) pieces of information.

27. discosucs2005 says:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:03 PM
    Deb says:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:15 PM
    ___________________________________
    And you’re basing that off of what exactly?

————————————————-
    His résumé, of course. He spent two years as a position coach with two different teams and one year as a HC at Stanford 16 years ago. NFL and NCAA coaches aren’t interchangeable. The games are different–primarily in the recruiting requirements. It’s all scouting and money in the pros. In college, it’s scouting and selling.

You’ve got to coddle and persuade not only the kids, but their parents and you’ve got to keep the kids on the hook until signing day. That part of the business is cutthroat in the SEC. Saban, Spurrier, Miles–those guys are monster recruiters–and Petrino went toe-to-toe with them. Mooch has zero experience to suggest he’s prepared for that part of the game.

28. Pete Carroll is a fantastic coach. He came to Seattle when the team was old and not just loosing but getting thrashed regularly. Two years later it’s a whole different team. Big, strong, fast, and on the way to multiple championships. People don’t like Pete because his teams destroy their teams. Get used to it. There’s more on the way. And you folks that blindly criticize his character shame on you. You’re basically ignorant so you’re forgiven. But you should really make an effort to educate you yourselves.

29. seattlesuperchronic says:

Deb

What kind of self proclaimed “writer” wastes their time on forums? Let us common folk have our outlet. Let us know when you get your Pulitzer.
    ————————————————-
    Child, this is a Web site where people come to post comments about their love for the game. It attracts doctors, lawyers, writers, editors, bloggers from competing sites, engineers, teachers, players, former players, sportswriters, all manner of businesspeople, and little pissants like you. We all break from our work to enjoy our hobby. Sorry my presence is such a threat to you, but you’re just going to have to live with it. And since I value my anonymity, I’ll keep my writing awards to myself.

30. You think Paul Allen would allow tiny little Arkansas to beat him in a bidding war for the star at the top of his franchise?

Pete Carroll has been excellent with the Seahawks, and he’s a west coast guy. He’s not going anywhere.

31. whodatgirl1 says: Apr 19, 2012 1:17 AM
    If Pete Carroll goes back to coaching college who will help the Seahawks to lose all those games?

———————————

taintedsaints2009 says: Apr 19, 2012 11:07 AM
    Carroll is corrupt slimeball and deserves to be confined to a state fair port-a-potty after deep fried chilli dog day

———————————-

Wonder who is bitter about being the only team in NFL history to get knocked out of the playoffs by a team with a losing record? Guess paying bounties didn’t help that day either…

32. rexismybff says: Apr 19, 2012 12:59 AM

mrplow3 says:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:19 PM
    ?Mooch was a good NFL coach. I can’t understand how he can’t another shot when terrible pro head coaches like Carrol, Turner, and Lewis have jobs.”

=====================

“Yes, Mooch was a great NFL coach.

I mean as long as you don’t set your standards too high – like winning in the playoffs or anything crazy like that.”

——————————————————————————————————–

Mooch coached the 49’ers to a Superbowl victory and to a few NFC Championship games before securing the NFC spot in Superbowl and winning it.

33. Deb

You can call me names all you want and try to get into my head by saying I’m threatened by you, but it won’t work, because I’m not. I’m not a troll, I’ve read your comments and liked most of them, until your grandstanding. Writers don’t want anonymity, they want recognition. I read one of your posts about Roethliberger’s sexual assault problems and I fell in love with your opinions. But when one of your comments became about you being a writer, I was disappointed that you went down that path. You’re obviously well spoken, it’s one of the things that I like about you. Oh yeah, Pete Carroll loves you too, why do you want to hurt his feelings? Be cool Deb, whether you believe it or not, I’m on your side.

34. seattlesuperchronic …

Uh-huh. Sounded like you were on my side when you came out of nowhere telling me to get off the forum. You fire at me, love, I’ll fire back, so no use crying about name-calling. I’m glad you like my comments, but many people on the blogs mention their professions. A guy on the Vikes thread just mentioned he’s a lobbyist. He said he understands the NFL’s difficulties with the Minnesota legislature … and I said researching the Roethlisberger case came easily to me because I write and research for a living. That’s not grandstanding. And I’m happy to get recognition for my work–this is a private hobby.

Wasn’t insulting Carroll, but making the observation that he left USC under a cloud–which doesn’t make him a great candidate to replace Petrino given the circumstances. That should be obvious.