Sam Bradford is happy to have a quarterback coach again

Sam+Bradford+Seattle+Seahawks+v+St+Louis+Rams+mlqo8IgzVjfl Getty Images

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has just started working with his third offense in three years as an NFL quarterback, but he’s sounding upbeat about life under the new regime.

Bradford told Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he feels the offense being installed by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has things in common with the system he played in as a rookie. There’s similar language to what Pat Shurmur used before leaving to become the Browns head coach and Bradford is particularly happy to have quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti devoted to helping him master things.

“I’m glad that we have a quarterbacks coach now,” Bradford said. “Obviously, with Josh (McDaniels) trying to do both last year I think it was just a lot for him to handle. Sometimes some of the little things such as drops, footwork, throwing mechanics kind of got put aside as opposed to putting reads and everything in front. … I think it’s going to be great for my development.”

It should also help that Bradford has a full offseason to work with Schottenheimer and Cignetti. He had to learn McDaniels’ offense in a condensed period of time because of the lockout. Bradford’s play slipped in his second season, with injuries and a poor team around him playing a big role in the downturn in performance. The supporting cast is better, although there’s still room to improve, and Bradford says he’s totally healthy.

That doesn’t leave many excuses not to have a bounceback 2012 season.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
13 Responses to “Sam Bradford is happy to have a quarterback coach again”
  1. CKL says: Apr 18, 2012 12:30 PM

I wonder if JM asked to do both or was that a team decision? I know he did both when he was first OC in NE. I like when that position has its own coach separate from the OC. Especially with a young starter like Bradford.

2. 6ball says: Apr 18, 2012 12:42 PM

Every time I have to pay $4.00 a gallon at the pump, I blame Josh McDaniels.

And why can’t I find a nice girlfriend, Josh?

3. thehighhat says: Apr 18, 2012 1:00 PM

Sam Bradford, the future of mediocrity.

4. rajbais says: Apr 18, 2012 1:08 PM

Anyone who is not an idiot known as Josh McDaniels is ALWAYS an upgrade!!!!

5. 4thquartermagic says: Apr 18, 2012 1:12 PM

Bradford better have a pro bowl year.

Not because I care about him or the Rams, but because I want solid proof that Josh McDaniels is NOT an offensive genius. More like an overrated prick who ruined Bradford last year.

McDumbass needs to hide behind the hoodie for the rest of his career.

6. makeham98 says: Apr 18, 2012 1:20 PM

Bradford needs a top orthopedist more than a qb coach. What’s the coach going to do other than scream “duck!”?

7. rams1999 says: Apr 18, 2012 1:24 PM

Rams WILL be a playoff team in 2013 if not this season…Bradford will be a star.

8. wecomefromthestars says: Apr 18, 2012 1:25 PM

Lions fan here, and I know the Rams are coming to town, week 1.

Of course I want the Leos to take the win, but I’m looking for Sam to have a big game, and a really solid season.

Stay healthy, Sam- and go Rams.. (exept for week 1, screw you gies)

9. chawk12thman says: Apr 18, 2012 1:32 PM

Hope he has a good year, but the Hawks win Division and knock them out of the playoffs in final game of season………..

10. jgedgar70 says: Apr 18, 2012 1:55 PM

4thquartermagic says:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:12 PM
    Bradford better have a pro bowl year.

McDumbass needs to hide behind the hoodie for the rest of his career.
    _____

Not just The Hoodie – even you and I could look like genious OCs with Tom Brady as the QB. Yes, Bradford should be much better this year.

11. nineroutsider says: Apr 18, 2012 2:21 PM

@chawk12thman says: Apr 18, 2012 1:32 PM

—————————————————-
    Right and where are the 9ers in all of this? The year that happened they won the division at 7-9, good luck winning it this year with that record. Keep thinking the 9ers are a fluke, what a dumb comment. I bet you can see Russia from your front porch too…

12. schmitty2 says: Apr 18, 2012 3:27 PM

Being a Ram’s fan and watching Schotty in N.Y it will be very simliar to Shurmur-lots of running and 3-5 yard dink passes. The problem is this doesnt spread the field of the defense. I can count on one hand how many mid to deep balls Bradford has thrown in 2 years. Bottom line is they need a deep threat amongst other things

13. restitutororbis says: Apr 18, 2012 7:55 PM

I’m a Rams fan too, and they’d better get Sam some O-line help and some weapons. Seriously. I don’t want to watch Sam get killed again.

I’m glad McDaniels is gone too. What a douche. I’m a big fan of Jeff Fisher, so here’s hoping!