Report: Colts tell Luck he’s the pick

Getty Images

At a time when the NFL is trying to get NFL Network and ESPN to stop tipping picks, a guy who has worked for both networks is tipping a pick.

Actually, he’s tipping two of them.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Colts have informed former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck that he’ll be the first pick in the 2012 draft.

It’s hardly a surprise.  For months, it has been believed that Luck will be the first overall pick.  Since January 1, we’ve known that the Colts will be the team with that first pick.

Schefter also reports that the Redskins will select Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 overall pick.  (We can also report that water is wet, the sky is blue, and Randy Moss has smelly poops.)

Speaking of Moss, he once was told by the Cowboys that they would pick him in round one of the 1998 draft.  And then the Cowboys picked someone else.

So telling Luck he’ll be the pick is different from making Luck the pick.  Given that Colts owner Jim Irsay ultimately is calling the shots on this one, we won’t be 100 percent convinced Luck is the pick until the card is submitted.

99 responses to “Report: Colts tell Luck he’s the pick

1. In other news the sky is blue. It’s good to officially hear it though. Welcome to D.C. RG3.

2. Now I offcially can start hating RG3 since he will be playing for that Rat Dan Snyder. Hoping Luck is to Manning and RG3 and the Skins flop.

3. Welcome to dc RG3. PLEASE HELP US. Great day to be a skins fan and u don’t say that to often

4. Ah man. I really thought Silva was on to something when he mocked RGIII to Indy last month.

/Fail

5. mikexzilla says:Apr 19, 2012 10:13 AM

i hope luck turns out to be the next ryan leaf
    ———-
    Why would you hope that? Luck seems to be a genuinely nice person and you hope he fails at his career and ends up in jail?

I feel sorry for you.

6. let the invalidated rgleaf comments with no intelligent arguement on why this kid will be a bust begin!!!!! i for one pumped to have at least a great prospect in dc!!!! httr

7. Funny, but wasn’t it reported yesterday the league wants to clamp down on sources from their partners in the media, so that the draft could mean something with more surprises?

I know Luck going to the Colts isn’t a huge surprise, but, really, I agree with the draft being a surprise for fans.

This just smacks of Adam Schefter trying to get one leg up on the rest of his colleagues because his bosses, ESPN, an NFL partner by the way, want it that way, and Goodell be damned.

8. thebigkahuna23 says:Apr 19, 2012 10:13 AM

In other news the sky is blue. It’s good to officially hear it though. Welcome to D.C. RG3.”
    ———————————————-
    Read the article again! Only when the pick is announced by Goodell on draft night does it become “official”. (Unless the Colts were to sign Luck to a contract prior to draft night of course) . I don’t doubt that Luck will be the first pick but doesn’t it make sense that if the Colts were “thinking otherwise” that they would put out smoke screens like this to perhaps get the Skins to give up something to ensure that they get RG3?? Some people go through life hearing only what they want to hear and I certainly didn’t hear an “official” announcement so you may want to hold off a tad on rolling out the red carpet for RG3

9. Why not just sign him already so the Skins can sign RGIII. On draft day we can roll right to pick #3.

10. Ahh….. Let the hate begin. It will be a breath of fresh air to have such a quality kid become the face of the Redskins franchise. The fans in DC deserve this pick, and have been extremely patient with this owner over the years. Now it’s time for Shanahan to prove his worth, and mold this kid into a top NFL QB. If anyone around the league thinks the fans are going to put pressure on this kid to succeed from the get go, you are quite wrong. We expect him to make his rookie mistakes, and we are putting our expectations in check until he has time to gain the experience to become successful. It will be a fun year. HTTR!

11. I’m sick to my stomach.

Although I’m feeling Brandon Wheeden. Dude faced Luck, RG3, Tannehill, L. Jones, and Nick Foles last year and beat ’em all.

He’s got all the tools. Only “problem” is he’s 28. That’s a problem I can deal with. I’m not getting any younger either. Would like to be good again before I die.

12. The first two or three teams selecting in the draft have no real need for smoke screens. The real games usually start after the first few picks.

13. 2 good choices, but Luck fits the formula the Colts have had success with.

Grigson and Irsay made some very bold decisions, but they obviously have a plan and are sticking to it. Clean out the bloated contracts from the previous era, draft a franchise QB, change to a more aggressive defense, new coaching approach, and a new era. “Build the Monster”!!!

PFT did all they could to create drama where there wasn’t any, kudos to them for the cheap hits/stories (seems to be the avenue of choice for modern bloggers).

14. ProDolphinsTalk says:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:33 AM
    Should have been a Dolphin after that 0-7 start…

—————————————–
    As opposed to the Colts 0-13 start?

15. RG3 is a Republican so I will be rooting for him.

I do wonder if the NFL, the Redskins, and the elite liberal sports media will do everything in their power to make RG3 suppress the fact that he is a young black male…….and is a Republican.

16. To those who said Luck will be Leaf, u are a miserable soul n pop yr depression pill and have a seat somewhere, luck nor RG3 will be a bust, maybe tannehill cause some team will reach for him

17. ProDolphinsTalk says:Apr 19, 2012 10:33 AM

Should have been a Dolphin after that 0-7 start…
    ——————————

Totally agree. But I’m telling you. Weeden looks like a player. Big. Quick Release. Mature. Winner. I’d take him at #8 before Tannehill.

And if we can trade down a couple spots and still get Weeden, all the better.

18. What does the NFL think of Luck and RGIII?
    Luck- No special games
    RGIII- Thanksgiving Game and a MNF game.

19. Mike, hate to be the bearer of bad news but your report is inaccurate. The sky is not blue. It is an optical illusion that it appears blue due to Rayleigh Scattering.

20. (We can also report that water is wet, the sky is blue, and Randy Moss has smelly poops.)
    WTF – Seriously?

21. 49ers1970 says:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:26 AM

_——————————————–
    Only the #1 pick can be signed prior to the draft.

22. I would not want to clean up after Randy Moss’s smelly poop from his dog either (making a joke in light of Moss tirade on the Minnesota locker room food in which he said he wouldn’t feed it to his dog).

23. “So telling Luck he’ll be the pick is different from making Luck the pick. Given that Colts owner Jim Irsay ultimately is calling the shots on this one, we won’t be 100 percent convinced Luck is the pick until the card is submitted.”

===

Did Roger Godall make you write that to keep the suspense?

24. As an Eagle fan,

This is great for the Skins.

All kidding aside … the Skins fans have always supported their team, and they deserve ” better than what they have been getting “.

Healthy competition is what we all want.

25. Right now he doesn’t have a losing record in the playoffs. That choker Peyton can’t say that.

26. Luck is the greatest thing to come out of college since Peyton Manning with all his hype. I think he’ll be a great qb in the nfl, possibly a top 3 in 3-4 years. But no one is Peyton Mannying.

27. Good luck no pun intended to both kids. As a Skins fan I was excited no matter who we got. But I definitely want to see both have success. As far as draft suspense, really! There will be a lot of it anyway are you kidding me! It’s the NFL! After RG3 skins do not pick till Friday but I’m still watching the first round at least.

28. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Apr 19, 2012 10:28 AM

I’m sick to my stomach.

Although I’m feeling Brandon Wheeden. Dude faced Luck, RG3, Tannehill, L. Jones, and Nick Foles last year and beat ‘em all.
    ———————

29. So this time last year the media was all but calling Cam a criminal and convincing the Panthers that picking him would be the worst mistake ever.

Isn’t it amazing how easy it was to scare folks into fearing a person based on nothing more than stereotypical negativity and ignorance.

30. I’ve got no problem with Schefter reporting that the Colts will take Luck a week before the draft. That’s called journalism.

The NFL can ask its broadcast partner and its own network to stop taking suspense out of a live broadcast, but in the end, there are two competing news organizations covering the draft, so there will always be a race to get the information on first, and therefore keep their viewers more informed.

If the NFL wants to take its own steps to ensure that a reporter can’t learn of the selection between the time the card is handed in and the time the pick is announced, I’m all for that. Don’t let Schefter or Breer or Mortensen see or hear the pick backstage.

But don’t invite the best players to the draft and then not let ESPN or NFLN show them as they get a phone call from a GM or coach to tell them they’re being drafted. Don’t sell the draft as the ultimate, primtime TV reality show, then try to script the drama.

31. And thus concludes the worst-kept “secret” since Verizon shocked the world by saying they would start carrying the iPhone, despite saying for months they were sticking with Android phones.

32. 49ers1970 says:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:26 AM

Only the first overall can sign early.

33. Heads up chief, QBs both play offense and don’t “face” each other. They play against defenses.
    ___________________________

Thanks for straightening me out boss. Point is, the guy raised his game against the best QBs in the country. And it’s a good indicator of how he’ll handle playing against the defenses of the teams that employ QBs like Tom Brady.

Just saying, if I had the 1 or 2 pick, I’m picking Luck and then RG3. But betwen Weeden and Tannehill, I’m taking Weeden.

34. dryzzt23 says:Apr 19, 2012 10:42 AM

RG3 is a Republican so I will be rooting for him.

——————————————————–

Take your policital B.S. and shove it up your a$$. This isn’t ProPoliticalTalk….

35. draftazoid says:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:45 AM
    What does the NFL think of Luck and RGIII?
    Luck- No special games
    RGIII- Thanksgiving Game and a MNF game.

———————————————–

RG3 benefits from being in a large east coast market. The Skins get MNF games even with bums like Grossman at the helm. Has nothing to do with what the NFL thinks of Luck.

36. we won’t be 100 percent convinced Luck is the pick until the card is submitted.
    ————————————————————–
    I am. In fact, I wrote in ink on my draft board.

37. As a Cowboys fan (and also a fan of RGIII), I think that the Skins have/will be getting the steal of the draft. Yes, they paid a price but this is something that they absolutely need. And for my money, the Cowboys/Redskins competition can only benefit from this. Time for the Boys/Skins rivalry to take center stage once again and the NFC East to return to the days of dominance once enjoyed.

38. 1972wasalongtimeago says:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:28 AM
    I’m sick to my stomach.

———————————————————-

Actually, Wheeden didn’t beat any of those guys. He beat the defenses for the teams those guys played for. I didn’t see all of those games, but didn’t Luck look pretty good in that bowl game, too?

39. dryzzt23: ” RG3 is a Republican.”

Well, he’s still young. There’s plenty of time for him to get rehabilitated.

40. daniel10017 says:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:58 AM

—————————————————-

Never a good sign when you have to explain the joke.

41. Comparing Luck and RGIII to Leaf is uterly rediculous and really exploits not only a lack of football intelligence, but common fluffing sense.

HTTR!!!

42. dryzzt23 says:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:42 AM
    RG3 is a Republican so I will be rooting for him.

Did RG3 really say that!? Wow. His first big mistake. He’s coming to Washington, DC, baby. Capital to the USA and all the most die-hard political groupies and junkies in the world. He has just alienated half his fans. He will never be able to eat a meal in peace without people coming to him and telling him about the evils of one side or the other.

Seriously, Good Luck, RG3. HTTR.

43. Poor Andrew, starting your career in the nightmare that is saving the Colts current team utterly depleted of any talent outside of DE makes his last name seem ironic. With the recent report or rapidly declining ticket sales he may not have the time needed to turn the ship around. He has absolutely no offensive line or running game to go with a WR core that has a 33 year old who is a shell of who he was and Tamme that could have potential but…

44. Man am I tired of the “HTTR” crap from the skins fans. RGIII is going to be running for his life this year, hopefully he doesn’t get ruined like David Carr.

45. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Apr 19, 2012 10:42 AM

—————————-
    Too bad most NFL personnel people do not agree with you. The ones I read say Weeden is a 3 year project who at 28 will be 31 by the time he can grasp and play in a pro style offense.

46. jennstergersburnedretinas says:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:31 PM

___________________________________

You got one thing right, you are “tired”…and now you’ll be tired of watching the Redskins shhh all over the NFC East…HTTR!!!

47. I think RGIII is a great kid and I wish him luck, but I don’t think he’ll be the QB everyone thinks he’ll be. Not just cause he’s being drafted one of the worst organizations in football for the past decade but I think he’s only had one year of success and everyone betting he’s gonna be like cam. Lightening doesn’t strike twice in the same place. Luck just seems to polished to fail a lot like peyton so it makes sense colts drafted him.

48. none of us colts fans want Luck to be the next peyton, we just want him to be the new andrew Luck qb for the colts!! and win games and bring us back to the promise land

49. Bill Polian was personally in Stanford, California scouting Luck in March of last year, months before we heard about Peyton’s neck problems. Why would a team, that normally drafts in the late 20’s of the first round, be scouting a player who was already known to be the top pick in the next draft??

They have always known Luck was the pick. They tanked the season for Luck to be their pick.

Stop wasting everyone’s time pretending anything else.

50. Griffin will be the next Daunte Culpepper. He’ll be pretty good for awhile. But never win the Super Bowl. And will watch his talents fall off a cliff when he hits 30.

51. HTTR has nothing to do with rubbing it in on other teams. It comes from the Skins fight song (first team with a fight song) and is just a rallying cry among fans. Don’t get bent outta shape.