We noted at the start of the trial of former NFL linebacker Nate Webster that Ray Lewis was among the people who had been issued a subpoena. But Lewis will not be involved in the trial after all.
Mary Jill Donovan, one of Webster’s attorneys, told the Cincinnati Enquirer that Lewis will not be called to testify in the ongoing trial. It is not clear what relevant information the defense thought Lewis might have had that led him to be listed as a potential witness in the case.
Webster is facing 30 years in prison if jurors can be convinced that his sexual relationship with a teenage girl began when she was 15. Webster admits that he had sex with the girl while he was in his 30s and she was a teenager, but he says it began after she turned 16, which is the age of consent in Ohio. Prosecutors say the sexual relationship began when the girl was 15.
The girl testified on Thursday that Webster pressured her into sex and threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone. Jurors also heard an audio recording that the girl surreptitiously made of a phone conversation in which Webster talked about having sex with her and told her, “I got this new move I want to try. . . . A nasty move.”
Webster faces charges of sexual battery, gross sexual imposition (sexual touching) and five counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.