Robert Griffin III: “I’m not a selfish guy”

Robert Griffin III of the Baylor Bears Getty Images

Robert Griffin III has heard about the unnamed scout quoted as saying he has “a little bit of a selfish streak,” and Griffin believes it’s just the kind of nonsense that comes out about every player before the draft.

“It’s just when the draft gets closer, everybody’s going to try and find something wrong with you to try and pull you down, so I’m not going to sit here and argue that, well that guy is dead wrong,” Griffin told Will Brinson of CBS Sports. “But I think the people that know me — and even in the people in the media have seen — know I’m not a selfish guy. You know you don’t have to fight your own battles — let other people fight them for you. That’s about all I can say about that. I heard it, but it’s not something I’m going to address.”

Griffin, the quarterback who will become the future of the Redskins on Thursday night, seems to be savvy about the realities of being a star: It’s impossible to please everyone, and some people are going to try to pull him down.

And Griffin responds to that about as well as a star can. Last year Cam Newton chose not to engage with the silly criticisms about his character and his allegedly fake smile, and instead had Warren Moon speak on his behalf. Griffin wasted no time in dealing with his critics head-on.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
43 Responses to “Robert Griffin III: “I’m not a selfish guy””
  1. waltdawg says: Apr 20, 2012 7:25 AM

Hail….Come to DC and have no worries…you throw so many TDs, no one can say you are selfish!

2. chmba says: Apr 20, 2012 7:29 AM

I spent several days at Baylor earlier in the year with my granddaughter who is looking at Baylor athletics in another sport. I heard RGIII mentioned numerous times by athletes, non-athlete students, academic counselors, and non-football people in the athletic department. Not one of these people had anything to say that could be construed as negative even for some reporter with the wildest possible imagination!

This story has all the characteristics of a minor league reporter dreaming up fantasies and/or a few small time “scouts” who are jealous!

3. realbenrush says: Apr 20, 2012 7:31 AM

Counting. Down. The. Days.

HTTR.

4. randomguy9999 says: Apr 20, 2012 7:34 AM

ever since RG3 got the NFL draft spotlight on him about 4 months ago…. he’s had a tendency to be overblown ego wise….

and while a lot of fans will like that sort of aggressiveness…. NFL management has to look at that and address the question:
    Will this guy get his ego in check and be a professional or will he be a prima donna?

It’s a legitimate question because the guys who go the prima donna route have a much higher tendency be busts and RG3 is very close to sounding like one.

5. londonfletcher says: Apr 20, 2012 7:35 AM

Good Guy Robert

6. vexey says: Apr 20, 2012 7:37 AM

This happens every year. People try to make a name for themselves bashing whatever player is the most talked about, it’s just an attention grab in most cases

7. jdandcoke says: Apr 20, 2012 7:38 AM

i dont think it’ll be the case, but GOD i hope this kid morphs from robert griffin III into ryan leaf II.

BIG BLUE BABY

8. winskins says: Apr 20, 2012 7:49 AM

This young man comes from a solid family. In the long run, that’s what’s going to count. He’ll make mistakes like we all do, but for the long haul my money is on this kid to mature into a real leader.

9. karlpilkington says: Apr 20, 2012 7:52 AM

10. fatsmcnadds says: Apr 20, 2012 7:58 AM

This Kid is a Genuine down to earth person and will be the Big Time Star QB we’ve needed here in DC!Welcome to town Robert now lets get to work on these NFC East foes who have had us down for awhile now.They seem to sense that Troubles a brewing!HTTR

11. andyb053 says: Apr 20, 2012 10:17 AM

@karlpilkington

In my years of coming to this site for everything NFL, I can’t say I’ve agreed with a comment more than yours.

I get having hatred for a team that always wins, that always seems to have the number of your team, but the Skins? They haven’t been a threat for decades. I don’t quite get what there is to hate, especially if it means a W for the team you root for.

How many Bengals and Lions haters do you know?

12. indywilson40 says: Apr 20, 2012 10:23 AM

RG3 will be a terrific qb in the NFL. Just not as good as Andrew Luck.

13. 49erstim says: Apr 20, 2012 10:26 AM

I obviously don’t know Mr Griffin. I will say about this “unnamed scout” that MEN don’t hide behind anonymity and hurl accusations. If this “scout” is real then what is the harm in putting your name to the quote? That is what a scout is supposed to do. So either this is typical pre-draft mud-slinging or this dude has a serious axe to grind.

14. blackqbwhiterb says: Apr 20, 2012 10:33 AM

Kid, if ya beat the Cowboys twice a year nobody will ever say s*** to ya!!

Win one Super Bowl and you’ll never buy yourself a drink in this town again!!

15. tiger2471 says: Apr 20, 2012 10:34 AM

“karlpilkington says: Apr 20, 2012 7:52 AM

I have never seen so many comments as the ones that are geared towards griffin and the skins. I dont get it. I am a skins fan and have suffered for more years than I care to remember but the down right hate for anything the skins do I just dont understand. As a fan I should be the one who is pissed at snyder and the losing. Why would you hate it? Its caused nothing but losing , so you would think you would be happy on every move they make because 90% of the time its been the wrong move… Unless of course you wish you had griffin on your team and you see that after 20 years its starting to turn around. Before you post ask yourself why you hate my team so bad because we have not been any competition for your team in years.”

———————————-
    Dude, I could not agree more. It’s senseless hate, I don’t get it.

16. rawgator06 says: Apr 20, 2012 10:37 AM

@AndyBo53
    Fark the Bungles lol.
    Now that I have that out of the way, these “anonymous” sources are the first people that I have heard with a negative opinion of RGIII. I watch a ton of college football and, although I watch mainly SEC games, I watched a lot of Baylor games over the last few years. I was telling my friends to watch Baylor years before he won the Heisman. He was electrifying, distributed the ball well, and would do anything for his team to win. He made Baylor, BAYLOR, into a household name. I wish him nothing but success.

17. whodeytrox says: Apr 20, 2012 10:42 AM

@karlpilkinton and @andybo53 I agree. By that logic, I think there will be a lot more Skins, Bengals, and Lions haters in the next couple of years. I hope RGIII works out for you guys. WHO DEY!

18. deadeye says: Apr 20, 2012 10:43 AM

RG3 went on to say later in the interview that his greatest strength is his humility.

19. ldenne says: Apr 20, 2012 10:44 AM

I think he meant to say “I’m not a shellfish guy”. As in crab and lobster.

20. skinsfaninnebraska says: Apr 20, 2012 10:45 AM

randomguy9999 says:Apr 20, 2012 7:34 AM

——————————————

What, exactly, are you basing your opinions on? Nearly everybody in the sports world has said how well RGIII has been handling the glaring spotlight that has been shone on him for the last several months.

If he is a “prima donna” and has an “overblown ego” then it seems that he’s done a really good job of hiding it from everyone except you. I guess you must have some amazing long-distance psychoanalytical ability that dozens of sportswriters, TV hosts, and coaches who have all had personal contact with RGIII are lacking.

21. geniusesq says: Apr 20, 2012 10:47 AM

Selfish. True. He only gave the ball away 6 times last year.

What a jerk.

22. jacksaysfu says: Apr 20, 2012 10:48 AM

Im an Eagles fan so I was born hating the Redskins , but I’ve watched alot of tape (looking for something to hate on) and I honestly think the kid will be a dangerous pro bowl CB for years to come . It’s looking like the Eagles fans will no longer have 2 guaranteed wins every year . Obviously were still going to beat you guy’s every single time we play , but now we actually will have to try. Also , cry me a river about people not liking the Redskins cause sooo many of your fans bash us with every post about the Eagles . We all have our team and while i dislike every other
    NFL team , i have a special hate in my heart for all teams in my teams
    division . That’s football ladies , but hey at least i know why you guy’s sit in the stands wearing dresses now

23. jacksaysfu says: Apr 20, 2012 10:49 AM

QB*

24. soundslikehail says: Apr 20, 2012 11:04 AM

@randomguy9999
    “History wise, there’s about 100% chance that either RG3 or Luck will be a bust…. my money is on RG3 being that bust.”

Ok, let pretend that the odds of a top 5 quarterback being a bust is 50%, like a quarter (which it isn’t, but I’ll entertain you). And you say its certain that one of them will be a bust. If the odds of either “busting” is mutually exclusive (meaning that one person doesn’t succeed at the expense of the other), the odds of only one busting is still %50. the odds of both busting (which I assume you dismiss because of “history” and your bizarre interpretation of statistics) would be 25%. Somehow i doubt the real number is that high.

25. RomosRibs says: Apr 20, 2012 11:10 AM

Let’s not forget, The RedSkinneds are 0-fer since the 80′s (that’s right the 80s) in drafting a QB.
    At least they can say, “We’re due”.

Fact-5 teams in RG3′s conference had a Defense ranked OVER 100 in the entire country. Who knows? You certainly cant judge him strictly from stats like that.

Personally, I like the guy and think he will make it, but he’d have a better chance ANYWHERE else.

26. skin94249 says: Apr 20, 2012 11:21 AM

“Now starting at Quarterback for the Washington Redskins, Robert Griffin III” nough said !!!

27. bduncanscott says: Apr 20, 2012 11:25 AM

The Media is sooo Bipolar! They need to stop, I’m sure they feel soo inferior that their entire lifes work is following every waking breath of a 22 year old pulling in multi millions of dollars but it’d really ugly to watch them try and scrounge for power by writing articles they feel will influence someone one way or the other, citing this “unnamed Source” or that “unnamed Scout”. It just shows me that we never truly grow up, we are still those little kids on the elementary school playground, tattling, and whining, and throwing a tantrum, spreading rumors about the other kids… Only difference is we wear dress clothes and are a little taller. You can really see it during political debates and election years but these NFL reporters are taking the cake these days.

28. bduncanscott says: Apr 20, 2012 11:30 AM

P.S. If Griffin has anything it’s called CONFIDENCE something these writers making up stories and citing “unnamed sources” have never had EVER in life, which is why they spend their lives watching the great things other people do and writing about it from afar…. I feel bad for their kids who undoubtedly will also grow up thinking confidence is arrogance and being in the spotlight for possessing great skill is selfish

29. whatswiththehate says: Apr 20, 2012 12:22 PM

Once again the media is in the usual singling out of certain QBs and trying to invite the usual haters. Also, Cam never had Warren Moon fight his battles. I’m sure if the behavior towards RG3 was as vicious as it was towards Cam last year, warren would have said something. Those at PFT really need to grow to heck up and stop with the stereotyping and race baiting.

30. cannonballdookie says: Apr 20, 2012 12:34 PM

Why does every annoying Redskins have to say “Hail” after every post? Why should we hail to one of the worst run teams of the past 15 years, please enlighten me.

31. karlpilkington says: Apr 20, 2012 12:35 PM

Andybo53, well thanks for the comment, and with all of the genuises on this site I will take it as a compliment that you couldnt agree more with what I posted.

Have a good one and good luck to your team whoever they may be. See folks how much easier it is to be nice.

PS unless of course you root for anyone else in the nfc east.

32. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Apr 20, 2012 12:40 PM

When RG3 starts quoting Forest Gump, it can’t be good.

33. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 20, 2012 12:59 PM

To prove his humility and magnanimous nature, Gruesome lifted his pant legs to show the reporters. He wore no socks.

“We don’t get it”, they responded.

“Ghandi”, said Bob, “barefoot Ghandi!”.

34. saintsfan1111 says: Apr 20, 2012 1:03 PM

Cam Newton is going to be a good QB, but he’s an incredible flake on the sideline. The guy is not a leader.

35. granadafan says: Apr 20, 2012 2:11 PM

Not a fan of the Skins, but this has nothing to do with the Redskins. Every year these unnamed scouts or so-called “reporters” looking to make a name for themselves try to come up with something outrageous about a player. A few years ago, Aaron Rodgers was irrationally blasted for holding the ball high and that his succes came from being in the Tedford system. A) his accuracy was uncanny and even with a rocket arm and B) Tedford runs a pro style offense with 50% running plays.

Idiocy!

36. silverhairedfox says: Apr 20, 2012 2:12 PM

saintsfan1111, and you know this how? Were you standing there next to him? Are you a member of the Panthers staff posing as someone else?

I’m a Cowboys fan living in the DC metro area, and I can tell you, the fans are very excited about this. For the first time in awhile they have real hope.
    For the first time in a long time, maybe the Skins game wont be “just” another game for the Cowboys (ie, no more or less important than any other game). From our point of view, it hasn’t been a real rivalry for years. Be nice to see that come back.
    I’m for the Cowboys and any team that plays the Eagles or any other Philly team. I was so frickin happy when the Cards beat the Phillies in the playoffs last season. It was all gravy after that.

37. mjkelly77 says: Apr 20, 2012 2:20 PM

Robert Griffin III: “I’m not a selfish guy”
    _________________

It’s damage control time for griffin. Has he explained yet why he was afraid to throw for anyone? Is he hoping the truth of his shortcomings don’t come out until his rookie contract is signed? I feel sorry for the Redskins.
    They fell for Fat Albert’s con and now the griffin con.

38. mjkelly77 says: Apr 20, 2012 2:42 PM

andyb053 says:Apr 20, 2012 10:17 AM

How many Bengals and Lions haters do you know?
    ____________________

Quite a few Lions haters now. It’s human nature. When someone turns from laughable to fear-inducing, the hate starts evidencing itself. But it’s really all fear based.

39. skinsfaninnebraska says: Apr 20, 2012 3:20 PM

mjkelly77 says:Apr 20, 2012 2:20 PM

Robert Griffin III: “I’m not a selfish guy”
    _________________

They fell for Fat Albert’s con and now the griffin con.

——————————————–

First of all, RGIII is not “afraid” to throw for anybody. After his showings at the Combine and the BU pro day, he correctly believed there was nothing further to be gained by him going to private workouts for any team — especially after the Rams-Skins trade made it obvious he’d be going to one of only two places.

If he has shortcomings, I’d appreciate it if you could point them out in a rational argument, because I sure haven’t seen any, and there are many with greater football knowledge than mine who share that view.

As far as the “Fat Albert con”, that free agent deal was a decision made by owner Dan Snyder, who is no longer making personnel decisions at Redskin Park.

40. jm8ch10 says: Apr 20, 2012 7:02 PM

RGIII will be Akili Smith 2.0

41. walter0247 says: Apr 20, 2012 7:12 PM

The reason why the redskins constantly get bashed isn’t a matter of skill or records. It’s simply b/c the division the skins are in.

The cowboys obviously have the largest fanbase in the NFL.
    The giants probably have to be in the top 5.
    And the eagles probably have the angriest fanbase.

At the end of the day though all i have to say is one name…. RG3…. haters gon’ hate.

42. caps247 says: Apr 21, 2012 9:46 AM

@cannonballdookie

The reason why skins fans say “Hail” or “HTTR” after every post because it reflects the team’s theme song, “Hail to the Redskins” (and I can go on all day hating on Dan Snyder dismissing the band). This was most popular during the 1980′s through the ’90s as fans would sing “HAIL TO THE REDSKINS” as the band played along after every touchdown, especially during the super bowl seasons. Its a tradition that skins fans are proud of, even if the team was bad for the past 15 years.
    If you want to be “enlightened” the skins fans have something called “team pride” and “loyalty” , which causes you to believe in your team and support them no matter what, even if they aren’t in the best position.
    Say, what cool chants and mottos/slogans does YOUR team have?

43. redhanded48 says: Apr 23, 2012 4:00 AM

walter0247 says:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:12 PM

The cowboys obviously have the largest fanbase in the NFL.
    The giants probably have to be in the top 5.
    And the eagles probably have the angriest fanbase.

___________________________________

Having been a fan of my team for many many years, through good and bad ..I am excited to draft a player that seems very confident, and talented! True our history at drafting QB’s is poor, I hope this time isn’t the case. And as a Skins fan I do hate the Cowboys, Eagles and Giant’s…especially the Cowboys. I have to say that the largest fan base has to be the Steelers.
    I have travelled around our country and no matter where I have gone there is a Steelers fan base bar. It’s great if your a Steelers fan…which I am only when they play B’more