Falcons pass on Hard Knocks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

HBO and the NFL offered the Falcons the opportunity to be the focal point of the Hard Knocks series in 2012.

And the Falcons have passed.

Albert Breer of NFL Network reports that the Falcons have decided against opening the doors to NFL Films cameras.  The decision, per Breer, was made by owner Arthur Blank, G.M. Thomas Dimitroff, and coach Mike Smith.  They preferred to focus on football.

Dimitroff comes from the Belichick church of secrecy, but Smith has twice dealt with video/audio intruders during camp, in 2001 with the Ravens and 2004 with the Jaguars.

Plenty of fans weren’t interested in having the Falcons placed under the Hard Knocks microscope.  The only proper way to follow the Emmy-fountain that the Jets helped create in 2010 would be to get the Jets, Saints, or Broncos/Colts to do it.  Teams like the Steelers, Packers, Patriots, and Giants would also generate significant national interest, but the teams that already have a national following have no reason to disrupt their routine.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
70 Responses to “Falcons pass on Hard Knocks”
  1. ponder7vikings says: Apr 21, 2012 3:28 PM

49ers next.

2. rajbais says: Apr 21, 2012 3:29 PM

Good!!! They didn’t deserve it!!!

3. eknirb says: Apr 21, 2012 3:31 PM

don’t bother coming to SF either.

4. polishkingski says: Apr 21, 2012 3:32 PM

why not buffalo? seriously?….no….i`m totally serious. hello?, is this thing on?….hello?

5. stevenfbrackett says: Apr 21, 2012 3:33 PM

Good for them. No one ever came out looking good or even okay on Hard Knocks.

6. vtopa says: Apr 21, 2012 3:36 PM

The Falcons? Does anyone even care about them? Most bland team in the league…besides, who would want to watch them prepare to get their tails kicked by the Saints all season?

7. polishkingski says: Apr 21, 2012 3:38 PM

you know its funny. is it just me or are the falcons the most uninspiring (love/hate) in the league? you would think they would field great teams year after year with allot of the players in the league living in or around the metro atlanta area. now claude humphrey….that was a great player!

8. marcinhouston says: Apr 21, 2012 3:38 PM

Who wants to watch Matt Ryan squander 4 pro-bowl caliber weapons on offense with an offense that got shut out in the playoffs? Maybe there would have been enough drama if Matt Ryan was not extended and some needed competition was brought in or Redman was finally given a chance to start, but nobody wants to watch a poor man’s Stan Humphries or Neil O’Donnell waste his team’s chances to win.

9. redguy12588 says: Apr 21, 2012 3:38 PM

It’s going to be the jets again. They’re obviously not focusing on football

10. joshmelder says: Apr 21, 2012 3:44 PM

Hard Knocks: Vikings attempting to procure a stadium edition.

11. astrosfan75956 says: Apr 21, 2012 3:45 PM

We want to see Dallas!

12. hus10188 says: Apr 21, 2012 3:49 PM

I quite frankly couldn’t think of a choice as bad as the Falcons, boring team.

13. hedleykow says: Apr 21, 2012 3:53 PM

The Jags with the interesting character for a new owner might be a good prospect for the Hard Knocks series. I’ll be watching no matter which team is featured — it’s a good show!!

14. jackm79 says: Apr 21, 2012 3:56 PM

No one cares about Dallas. Who wants to listen to that dopey owner/GM/ corrupt cheater??

15. beckzhere says: Apr 21, 2012 3:56 PM

I’m glad they declined. This season is going to be difficult enough with the revamped coaching regime.
    As a lifelong Atlanta native and Falcon fan, I never knew the rest of the country disliked our city and team so much. Sure we don’t have any rings and bums run rampant here, but…wait, oh now I see.

16. 4thquartermagic says: Apr 21, 2012 3:57 PM

Great news for everyone not a Falcons fan.

Sorry but your team is good but not very exciting.

Here’s my wish list.

1. Jets: “Tebow vs. Sanchize” = Train wreck.

That is all.

17. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 21, 2012 4:02 PM

I was looking foward to seeing them fail at 4th and 1 on hbo.

18. onzlaut says: Apr 21, 2012 4:03 PM

Weren’t the Texans lobbying for Hard Knocks last year? They could be interesting. Young up and coming team. Plenty of star players to focus on, likeable guys…

19. east96st says: Apr 21, 2012 4:05 PM

I just relieved that the NFL found the Falcons. After they failed to show up for their playoff game with the Giants, I was afraid they might be lost forever.

20. bangitfootball says: Apr 21, 2012 4:05 PM

Thank God.

Jets, Broncos, Saints or Cowboys in that order.

I would pay HBO double to see Tebow/ Sanchez/ Ryan/Cromartie and company!!!

21. daknight93 says: Apr 21, 2012 4:18 PM

Falcons could’ve showed everyone how to score only 2pts in a playoff game

22. dobberdubinsky says: Apr 21, 2012 4:19 PM

23. 4512dawg4512 says: Apr 21, 2012 4:35 PM

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Lions

24. jwayne111 says: Apr 21, 2012 4:39 PM

What quality franchise wants cameras in camp and meetings …Gotta wonder whose gonna accept the distraction and exposure.

25. rsellersus says: Apr 21, 2012 4:40 PM

Let’s see Mr. Newton in Carolina!

26. astrosfan75956 says: Apr 21, 2012 4:46 PM

Dallas/Houston/NYJ in that order.

27. lolb23 says: Apr 21, 2012 4:54 PM

Lions said “No thanks” to HBO a long time ago. They’re a football team. Not a reality TV show.

28. cannonballdookie says: Apr 21, 2012 4:58 PM

I think Detroit would be a decent choice if none of the above mentioned teams are interested. They are coming off their first playoff appearance in a long time and have exciting young players in Mega, Stafford, and Suh. I think they’d be a good watch.

29. jjbadd says: Apr 21, 2012 5:00 PM

As a Bronco fan, there isn’t much exciting stuff happening. Any excitement we had took the midnight train to New Yawk! Unless you want to see an outstanding QB with a gigantic forehead, bobbliing around on a gimpy neck..jk, I luv ya PM…

30. lov2smile says: Apr 21, 2012 5:00 PM

4thquartermagic says: 1. Jets: “Tebow vs. Sanchize” = Train wreck.

PERFECT!!!

I wanna see the Jets self destruct just like in that game against the Dolphins, where the head coach didn’t even know who was on the field and why…That’s hilarious!!!

31. cowboy1967 says: Apr 21, 2012 5:01 PM

Pittsburgh, Dallas, Green Bay you couldn’t go wrong with any of those teams.

32. ezra954 says: Apr 21, 2012 5:03 PM

What about Miami there owner has already made them out to be a bunch of idiots and it’s the flash mr Ross has always wanted

33. waltdawg says: Apr 21, 2012 5:03 PM

I don’t even think that I could tell you 3 people on that team…So, why would anyone care about the Falcons? They don’t ever seem to really matter. Similar to the Braves. This is a non-issue.

34. lolb23 says: Apr 21, 2012 5:12 PM

I don’t even think that I could tell you 3 people on that team…
    ______________________________

I wouldn’t go around bragging about that.

Matt Ryan
    Micheal Turner
    Roddy White
    Julio Jones (do you even watch the draft lol?)

even a baby knows those guys play for the Falcons.

35. foodstamp69 says: Apr 21, 2012 5:23 PM

fortunately the packers would say NO just for the fact that TT n mccarthy dont wanna show the rest of the league how to run a team

36. bigbluwreckincrew83 says: Apr 21, 2012 5:24 PM

Good for them. No one ever came out looking good or even okay on Hard Knocks.

————————————————-
    Thats actually inaccurate. The 09 Bengals were featured on Hard Knocks and swept their division.

37. drewbu22 says: Apr 21, 2012 5:28 PM

For all the talk about Hard Knocks not allowing teams to “focus on football”, the last team that was on Hard Knocks went 11-5 and was in the AFC title game…

38. chadmurdigan says: Apr 21, 2012 5:33 PM

If all the teams pass, HBO should put a camera crew and microphone team on Warren Sapp and follow him around as he searches for his lost SuperBowl Ring and the $6,000,000 he somehow lost.

That’s a Hard Knocks show I’d watch.

39. ncbengalmike says: Apr 21, 2012 5:36 PM

Good for them. No one ever came out looking good or even okay on Hard Knocks
    ___________________

The Bengals Say hello, thats the only thing that has ever made them look good!

40. waltdawg says: Apr 21, 2012 5:39 PM

@lolb23—

Good point…I was embellishig a bit to make a point….Most NFLr’s are NOT interested in a deep 12 week behind the scenes look at a 2nd rate program, yes I know those guys and the Blank, who made his fortune at Home Depot (BLAH BLAH BLAH) owns the team….On another note, if you are a Falcons fan RIP Ray Easterling, very sad story.

41. vincentbojackson says: Apr 21, 2012 5:40 PM

Serious organizations will always pass on Hard Knocks.

Apparently the Falcons aspire to be taken seriously.

42. vincentbojackson says: Apr 21, 2012 5:41 PM

bigbluwreckincrew83 says:

Good for them. No one ever came out looking good or even okay on Hard Knocks.

————————————————-

———————

Then promptly went one-and-out in the playoffs.

43. jrc323 says: Apr 21, 2012 5:47 PM

I would like to see the Eagles on Hard Knocks. Maybe we would finally hear Andy say something beside “I got to do a better job there.” Vick and Jackson would draw in viewers as well.

44. LoCoSu@%s says: Apr 21, 2012 5:48 PM

Goodell’s office – any time of the year.
    “What random punishment can I inflict on some poor sucker/teams” – :evil laugh:

45. ogarcz says: Apr 21, 2012 5:55 PM

Miami! we can see how Fergie, J. LO and Twins Williams make the “REAL” Football decisions…

46. skolvikesskol says: Apr 21, 2012 5:56 PM

Vikings all the way… We generate so much hate for our team and fans ud think we won 8 superbowls, got caught cheating, put up some bounties and ran a train on ur underage daughter… So lets do hard knocks and see how much hate we generate for not having a good team, being unwilling to subsidise corporate millionares, and having just above average fans…

47. rajbais says: Apr 21, 2012 6:01 PM

The Jets may have been the best ‘Hard Knocks’ team ever, but I would want to see the following teams (because the Jets declined):

1. Colts because of Irsay, Pagano’s underreported personality as a “cool 51-year old”, Andrew Luck, and for Bruce Arians to show how underrated he’s been!!!

2. The Vikings in order to watch Jared Allen and the possible “final season” in Minneapolis (which I truly hope is not the case)!!!! Another thing I would want is a QB competition. I am not a Christian Ponder fan because of his injury history and knack for being too dependent on weaponry!!! If Joe Webb won it I wouldn’t mind one bit!!!

3. The Bills because of the personalities of Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix!!!

4. The Panthers because of Cam Newton, Steve Smith, and Ron Rivera!!! They’re all not that boring, trust me!!!

48. spawn201 says: Apr 21, 2012 6:02 PM

Seems like no teams want this distraction.Cant say I blame them.

49. rtrinidad777 says: Apr 21, 2012 6:06 PM

Bring ‘em to DC and follow the first year development of a soon to be superstar!

50. mancave001 says: Apr 21, 2012 6:14 PM

Philly. It’ll never happen with King Lurie, Prince Banner and Captain Cheesesteak at the helm though.

51. threedeep1998 says: Apr 21, 2012 6:21 PM

“rajbais says: Apr 21, 2012 3:29 PM

Good!!! They didn’t deserve it!!!”

Haha as if it’s some big honor.

52. thehouseofho says: Apr 21, 2012 6:47 PM

rajbais says:
    Apr 21, 2012 6:01 PM
    ==========
    The Jets weren’t offered the show yet, so how could they decline? Is this the same way the Jets passed on Manning even though he didn’t even consider them?

53. willbrownimaging says: Apr 21, 2012 7:11 PM

The original show with Baltimore in 2001 was the best one by far in my opinion.

It would have been even better had Jamal Lewis not torn his ACL in like the 2nd practice.

54. idealisticapathetic says: Apr 21, 2012 7:19 PM

p-a-t-r-i-o-t-s

its hard to say you wouldn’t enjoy them – but dr belichick will have none of it

55. rugdaniels says: Apr 21, 2012 7:22 PM

I have no idea why a team would agree to be on ‘Hard Knocks’. With the league tv deals and revenue sharing would selling a few more seats or jerseys make that much of a financial impact?

56. drewzducks says: Apr 21, 2012 7:31 PM

I agree with the Eagles idea. This way other teams can watch and learn how NOT to prepare to be this years “dream team”.

57. sdffa11 says: Apr 21, 2012 8:42 PM

i wouldnt mind seeing the panthers and the packers and also want to see the eagles but doubt that would ever happen.

58. bucks12965 says: Apr 21, 2012 9:08 PM

I will watch regardless of what team they put on. You know you will too. HBO & the NFL knows it too.

59. gavriloprincip33 says: Apr 21, 2012 9:26 PM

jrc323 says:
    Apr 21, 2012 5:47 PM

————————

HBO is not even putting the former owner of Bad Newz Kennels on their show…

60. mjkelly77 says: Apr 21, 2012 10:03 PM

49ers. I’d like to see Hairbow primping in front of the mirror.

61. randallflagg52 says: Apr 21, 2012 10:11 PM

Thank Tebow!

There isn’t a less interesting team in football than the falcons.

62. dawgs105 says: Apr 21, 2012 11:45 PM

What does everyone have against the Falcons? They are a good team. People seem to hate them more than the cheating Patriots and Saints.

63. detroitcityryda says: Apr 22, 2012 12:06 AM

Where do I sign up to lick Rex Ryan wife’s feet .hmmmm me likey

64. applecool1981 says: Apr 22, 2012 1:11 AM

dobberdubinsky says: Apr 21, 2012 4:19 PM

“New Orleans should do it…..it might be a way to win back some popularity after the bounty scandal….or is the team happy with the “Saints VS the world” frame of mind to use as motivation?”

I would love to see the Saints due to all of the hardships they’ll have to face with there front office and coaching suspensions, along with the upcoming player suspensions. The only think that might be better drama than this is Sanchez vs Tebow.

65. tluke25 says: Apr 22, 2012 10:47 AM

If everyone is going to complain about how a team is “desperate” or it will be a “distraction” for them to be on Hard Knocks, then no team is ever going to do the show again.

Personally, I do not agree with those two opinions that whiners who post on here complain of. Just because a team does Hard Knocks and doesn’t win a Super Bowl, doesn’t mean they would have won it any way.

Hard Knocks is a great show and great entertainment and gives the fans a complete understanding of the training camp process. It’s a shame that people have given this show a bad rap. Do they complain about it because their team wasn’t featured that year? I don’t know, but people need to chill. It’s just a game and Hard Knocks it’s something fun to watch in the month of August when there isn’t much on tv.

66. jus10jonez says: Apr 22, 2012 11:12 AM

Just about every other comment on here is hating on my Falcons. When was the last time they were caught up in a pay-for-injury scandal or got caught cheating on the sidelines during an nfl game? Or their QB tried raping 2 women on 2 different sides of the country or got caught driving over 100 mph? If it takes all these things for you guys to be interested or fans, then I’m glad you’re neither one! I’ll root for the team with offseason or in season drama.

67. jus10jonez says: Apr 22, 2012 11:13 AM

Just about every other comment on here is hating on my Falcons. When was the last time they were caught up in a pay-for-injury scandal or got caught cheating on the sidelines during an nfl game? Or their QB tried raping 2 women on 2 different sides of the country or got caught driving over 100 mph? If it takes all these things for you guys to be interested or fans, then I’m glad you’re neither one! I’ll root for the team without offseason or in season drama.

68. lov2smile says: Apr 22, 2012 1:38 PM

Hmmm where did Michael Vick come from?

69. lov2smile says: Apr 23, 2012 12:21 PM

I don’t think the team that allows HBO cameras into Training Camp is desperate.

But I do believe it is a huge distraction, especially to the younger players.

If I were coaching a team, the fewer distractions the better.

Heaven knows that HBO is not there to capture the action, all HBO is interested in is turmoil, dissension, anything to make copy.

70. vtopa says: Apr 24, 2012 10:56 PM