When Darrelle Revis signed his new contract in 2010, he hinted that he would want to revisit the contract before the 2012 season.
The Jets claimed to be “floored” when Revis predicted the two sides would be back in the same position again. We wonder if they are feeling the same way now that those hints are coming to fruition.
Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum didn’t want to talk about Revis’ contract last week, but Revis was a bit more forthcoming about his desire for a new deal at a charity event in New York on Monday night. Revis told reporters that he is preparing for the season while his agents work out contract issues, but he also said that he wasn’t ready to commit to anything beyond that.
“I just don’t know,” Revis said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I’m not saying I’m going to hold out. I’m not saying I won’t.”
Revis is set to make a total of $13.5 million over the next two seasons, well below what other cornerbacks who have produced less than Revis will make over those two seasons. That kind of disparity, as well as the prospect of playing without their best defensive player, was enough to get the Jets to blink two years ago. It looks like we could be headed for another showdown between Revis and the team this summer.