NFL reminds teams not to leak picks before podium announcement

2011+NFL+Draft+XGYMSSec3V1l Getty Images

The NFL really wants to keep the suspense alive during the draft this season.

On the heels of the announcement that there will no longer be camera shots of players on the phone with teams in the green room just before they are picked and hints that analysts on the networks covering the event will not report picks before they are announced comes word that the league is reminding teams to keep the wraps on things. Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that the league recently reminded teams to withhold announcements of their picks via any medium before they are officially made on the stage at Radio City Music Hall.

The Colts obviously didn’t get the memo.

It’s become a trend in recent years for teams to leak their picks out on Twitter before they get officially announced on telecasts. The league obviously wants to keep people watching the draft as opposed to simply following it via other modes of communication. Last week, Rich Eisen of the NFL Network said that the teams have to be part of that in addition to the networks.

We’d love to get PFT Planet’s help monitoring how good a job they are doing at the task. Shoot us an email or tweet — @ProFootballTalk — if you come across any teams sending out their picks before they are made in New York. We’ll give anyone who does a free subscription to PFT.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
89 Responses to “NFL reminds teams not to leak picks before podium announcement”
  1. tombradysponytail says: Apr 24, 2012 2:15 PM

I see what you did there…

2. kingbeason52 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:15 PM

Daddy will get mad if you dont listen!!

3. farmmbig says: Apr 24, 2012 2:16 PM

Suggestion:— Get rid of 95% of the Reporters!

4. whatnojets says: Apr 24, 2012 2:16 PM

Will Goodell have to wait the required fifteen minutes before he is introduced??

5. jackblackshairyback says: Apr 24, 2012 2:16 PM

Lol right after the Colts made their announcement. Goodell must be pounding his fists on his desk.

6. jmhalko says: Apr 24, 2012 2:17 PM

I can’t wait till a team gets kicked out of the draft for revealing a pick against the Dictators’ wishes. There will be swift punishment for violating this unenforceable “rule”…. I think they may have done something like that before… what was that again….

7. duece8 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:17 PM

If any team does announce early, it would be against THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME, and will be fined 36 million in cap space…

8. whatnojets says: Apr 24, 2012 2:18 PM

A new memo will bes sent regarding the previous memo that confirmed the previous memo about the memo not to disclose anything that is part of the original memo.

9. jgedgar70 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:20 PM

Help me remember something – is it part of the new CBA that the team with the top pick can no longer negotiate a contract before the draft?

10. turgidsen says: Apr 24, 2012 2:21 PM

Goodell is a true attention hog .I mean as NFL fans we are going to watch anyway. Whether a pick is given out early or not. He just wants people to watch him.

11. sb50 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:21 PM

Yes! Finally!

12. pickleman77 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:21 PM

Is it Thursday yet??? Anyone else pumped up for the draft??!?!? YEAH BABY!!!

13. 4thquartermagic says: Apr 24, 2012 2:21 PM

Leaking of picks should result in loss of next round pick.

Not really, but that WOULD guarantee teams would keep their mouths shut.

I’m glad the NFL is doing their best to keep the suspense. It’s bad enough that this years draft starts with #1 and #2 set in stone months ago.

14. jmagnet28 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:22 PM

This is simple. Just replace Chris Berman with a cardboard cut out. Odds are the cut out will provide more insight and make it more enjoyable anyway.

That and putting a limit on the number of times Jon Gruden can say the following:

“ahhh, let me tell ya something about this young man right here. This young man is a foot-ball play-er. I love the pick. Love it.”

15. lightcleric says: Apr 24, 2012 2:22 PM

The NFL wants to maintain suspense about which team is going to overdraft Ryan Tannehill.

16. j0esixpack says: Apr 24, 2012 2:22 PM

Attention Oakland Raiders – this means you!

Don’t go announcing your first pick of the draft before 94 is off the podium!!!!!

17. dukemarc says: Apr 24, 2012 2:22 PM

Jim Irsay fine coming in 5,4,3,2…..

18. getadealdonealready says: Apr 24, 2012 2:23 PM

So does that mean that ESPN isn’t allowed to show the players on the phone 1 min prior to the pick being announced as well?

19. getadealdonealready says: Apr 24, 2012 2:24 PM

Guess I have to read the article and not just the headline……duh!

20. omegalh says: Apr 24, 2012 2:24 PM

I’m looking forward to seeing if the teams will hold true to the surprise this year. it was getting to the point with me where I was starting to just check in every so often to see who was picked.

Having Mort or Berman ruin my fun was getting tiring.

21. shadowman1433 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:24 PM

Maybe they should tell that to ESPN they ruin all of the draft picks by shwoing the player on the phone before he’s picked.

22. sadskinsfan89 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:27 PM

national football states of america. nfl seems more like a government wanting to control every little detail. where has the old nfl gone with less drama?

23. youhavenoclue says: Apr 24, 2012 2:27 PM

maybe the deadskins will take a real QB at #2 and not that fraud RG3

24. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 24, 2012 2:27 PM

The NFL is really blurring the line here between a newsworthy event and a dramatized television program. This doesn’t go so much for NFL Network, but ESPN (despite its lousy and desperate attempts otherwise) is still a news outlet, and should aspire to cover the draft like breaking news. To not do that is to admit that the purpose of the program is more for entertainment than information (again, not a shocker). This reminds me of NBC time-shifting Olympic events to gather the most eyeballs in the prime time hours, a move that is geared more toward selling ads than informing viewers by covering an event. Sure, they’ll cover the event… by presenting information in the order they think is most exciting.

But really, who am I kidding with the outdated notion that these events should be covered like news? Everything’s for sale nowadays. Why fight it anymore?

25. citizenstrange says: Apr 24, 2012 2:27 PM

I ain’t a rat.

26. jimthebuilder27 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:28 PM

Tiki is flabbergasted!

27. geniusesq says: Apr 24, 2012 2:28 PM

Or else two years from now Goodell will take $36M from you.

28. 305phinphan says: Apr 24, 2012 2:31 PM

Well if the team picking first can negotiate a contract before the draft even starts how would that work?

29. jeziyo247 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:31 PM

I agree with the nfl on this one, what’s the point of watching the draft if you know what player is going where.

30. vegaskid21 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:32 PM

I think the NFL should have mentioned that around week 16 last year. Remember, “Suck for Luck?”

31. satanphoenix says: Apr 24, 2012 2:33 PM

Does the IRS consider the free subsciption to PFT taxable income?

32. chawk12thman says: Apr 24, 2012 2:34 PM

Well; I guess we just won’t be able to tell who is going second…..

33. cooklynn17 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:35 PM

It’s about time…

34. 4thquartermagic says: Apr 24, 2012 2:36 PM

5 years from now, ESPN will reveal that the Saints wire tapped Radio City so they could hear every teams draft pick before it was announced.

35. getyourownname says: Apr 24, 2012 2:38 PM

Don’t forget the Chicago Exception, which allows the Bears to announce their picks several days early so they are considered “on time” when their cell phones malfunction.

36. dmartin17 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:40 PM

Maybe if the lessened the time between picks the leaks would be less noticeable!

37. whatnojets says: Apr 24, 2012 2:41 PM

Tim Tebow has agreed to introduce Roager Goodell at the 2012 NFL Annual Draft.

Mr. Tebow will begin the ceremony with a prayer followed by a musical interlude before introducing His Highness, Mr. Goodell

38. dmartin17 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:41 PM

And for those whining about the contract for luck, that’s allowed under NFL rules. In fact after it is official I believe the redskins are allowed to negotiate as well…

In the end, it’s all about $$ and you can be sure the Colts will STILL take 15 minutes to announce there pick. THAT is what I don’t understand.

39. dowhatifeellike says: Apr 24, 2012 2:44 PM

AlanSaysYo says:
    Apr 24, 2012 2:27 PM

——————

ESPN stopped being a news source when they started giving more time to sports personalities than they give to sports play and results.

40. jgedgar70 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:45 PM

jmagnet28 says:
    Apr 24, 2012 2:22 PM

_____

Good stuff, although I’d rather the cardboard cutout be of Mel Kiper, the most know-nothing blowhard to ever appear in front of a TV camera.

Or better yet, I’ll just watch the blowhards on NFL Network. At least Mayock has actually worn an NFL uniform.

41. deadeye says: Apr 24, 2012 2:50 PM

People watch in droves, and the NFL is worried about the pick being known 1 minute before it’s announced? Who gives a crap? I’ve watched every draft, at least in part, since 1986. And I will continue to do so even if the pick is known 2 minutes ahead of time.

42. rickvaldez says: Apr 24, 2012 2:56 PM

So will he take another 5 mil from the skins because its known who they’re drafting.

We all know what happens when they don’t listen to a warning even though no rules are broken.

43. harleyrider1973 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:58 PM

j0esixpack says:Apr 24, 2012 2:22 PM

Attention Oakland Raiders – this means you!

_______________________________

damn Joe, thats the funniest s__t i have read all day

44. randomcommenter says: Apr 24, 2012 3:01 PM

I’m just going to watch Saints cam. They have every team’s draft board hanging on their wall.

45. geniusesq says: Apr 24, 2012 3:01 PM

The draft will begin with Goodell cermoniously bathing Tim Tebow’s feet.

46. sullybleedsgreen says: Apr 24, 2012 3:02 PM

Ill just watch it on ESPN then… All picks will be reported on twitter anyways. ESPN, Fox, NBC sports, Comcast reporters do not work for the NFL and it is there job to do such things

47. theralph2012 says: Apr 24, 2012 3:02 PM

The only thing more annoying than actually knowing the pick 3 minutes before it’s made is listening to the goobers on ESPN settle in for their “mock drafts” 3 months before. How can anyone value the opinion of someone who is going to get 27 of 32 picks wrong?!?!? EVERY YEAR!!!

48. mikerol124 says: Apr 24, 2012 3:02 PM

This is great for those of us who like doing a “next pick pool” while watching the first round. If it’s that important to see the guy on the phone, have ESPN broadcast the draft that way, and NFL Network not show the pick early. Then, pick how you prefer to watch the draft accordingly. Power to the people.

49. whatnojets says: Apr 24, 2012 3:03 PM

“If you build it, he will come”,

50. dirtierwater says: Apr 24, 2012 3:09 PM

I’m going out on a limb here in guessing the Saints are going announce their first pick during Luck’s handshake with Goodell.

Cause they’re like that. Evil.

51. 4evrnyt says: Apr 24, 2012 3:11 PM

In this type of situation learning that the Colts are going to take Luck or even the Redskins taking RGIII is hardly bursting anyones bubble.

If teams from #3 on decide to start announcing their picks then there would be something to care about.

52. 4evrnyt says: Apr 24, 2012 3:13 PM

Cause they’re like that. Evil.
    —————————————————
    Who cares, it’s a third round pick let’m announce it.

53. electionconfidential says: Apr 24, 2012 3:14 PM

Those mean old owners just keep Roger’s little panties in a bunch all the time!!

54. cowboyhater says: Apr 24, 2012 3:14 PM

youhavenoclue says: Apr 24, 2012 2:27 PM

maybe the deadskins will take a real QB at #2 and not that fraud RG3

——————————————————————————————

Your name says it all. HTTR!

55. dryzzt23 says: Apr 24, 2012 3:15 PM

I wish our govt would do the same with the news networks and Wiki leaks before a military operation.

But alas the liberal media would simply ignore the plea and allow an enemy to know our military forces are coming after all they loathe the military anyway.

56. nbaraie says: Apr 24, 2012 3:19 PM

I still bet Chris Berman’s cab driver will still have the Bills pick.

57. geemoney713 says: Apr 24, 2012 3:21 PM

Redskins better watch out now… they’ve been verbally warned of something that isn’t a rule. If they break the (non)rule then they could get fined cap space or lose draft picks.

58. finswins says: Apr 24, 2012 3:23 PM

How can anyone like knowing the pick before it’s announced? It takes ALL of the drama out of the whole process! BRAVO to the NFL for making the effort to do something about it!!

59. jimiinpa says: Apr 24, 2012 3:28 PM

does anyone really watch the draft anymore?

60. gallogj says: Apr 24, 2012 3:30 PM

I just hope they don’t keep cutting to that “draft expert” that looks just like Chandler from Friends. It confuses me too much. I start to think my wife changed the station…and I refuse to change it back until I catch a glimpse of Jennifer Aniston’s bum bum.

61. westclaims says: Apr 24, 2012 3:34 PM

62. godofwine330 says: Apr 24, 2012 3:34 PM

The thing is, it isn’t like we are gonna stop watching. It isn’t like they announce 25 picks in advance. Damn, Roger. Do you have to take the fun out of everything? I hope his sorry keister gets booed again.

63. raidermot says: Apr 24, 2012 3:36 PM

What does the NFL think the draft is? An an episode of Columbo?

“Oh No! Don’t ruin it for us and tell us how it ends.”

Those of us who are NFL-nerdy enough to watch the draft in the first place, do not care. They are not going to get new viewers who were previously turned off by the ESPN/NFL Network spoiler policy.

Hell I like that I get a behind the scenes and in the green room point of view. I would choose that over sitting in the theater waiting for something to happen.

64. bucwild05 says: Apr 24, 2012 3:36 PM

THIS JUST IN:
    Starting in 2013, mock drafts will not be allowed on the web, or anywhere in circulation per Goodell.

Gotta keep it the public unaware of anything.

65. dfwbillsfan14221 says: Apr 24, 2012 3:36 PM

The also have to use a cover letter before they send their TPS reports to Sir Roger.
    I wish every team would announce it via any other media method, just to give a big middle finger to this heavy-handed commish…

66. lombarditrophies says: Apr 24, 2012 3:37 PM

I mean really…can’t you draft geeks wait 3 minutes to hear the announcement? Is there really any thing wrong with preserving some of the theater that is the draft?

67. stavreafavre says: Apr 24, 2012 3:47 PM

Good ol’ Rodg and the rest of the NFL really have to work on getting over themselves.

68. staff2cj4td says: Apr 24, 2012 3:53 PM

Andrew Luck = David Carr 2.0

69. bigfootballfan says: Apr 24, 2012 4:01 PM

I stopped watching because of the leaks. Much of the fun for me is the annoucements. Hope it works this year. I miss what it was. I’ll watch again when it is fun again. If I just want the answers, I can wait and do something I enjoy in the meantime. Others like the leaks I guess. I don’t.

70. deathtoromo says: Apr 24, 2012 4:02 PM

Fk ESPN. Would Love to see how Mayocks evaluations match up against Kipers.

71. cmarsh64 says: Apr 24, 2012 4:03 PM

72. mrgdawg says: Apr 24, 2012 4:08 PM

Check list to improve the draft:
    1. create suspense (Check)
    2. Move it back to Saturday
    3. Have anyone but Goodell announce the picks.

1 out of 3. Not a bad start.

73. conormacleod says: Apr 24, 2012 4:12 PM

How can watching some guy in the green room silently receive a phone call, and start tearing up and hugging his grandma be better than actually hearing the announcement? I love that they are going to try and not have the pick leaked. Twitter I don’t care about, but I hated watching the guy get a phone call before the clock was even up.

74. jaialaicharger says: Apr 24, 2012 4:13 PM

Colts are Picking Luck at #1? Shoot, suspense over. guess I am watching Seinfeld instead.

75. bigperm33 says: Apr 24, 2012 4:16 PM

because god forbid someone other than Goodell got the attention.

Dear NFL – people tune in to see who got picked and to listen to the people doing the broadcast discuss the pick. No one cares who or when the person names the pick.

76. tchas35 says: Apr 24, 2012 4:20 PM

Let’s see . . .

If we find out because of a Berman blab or a real-time shot of a draftee and his agent and family celebrating as he gets the call on his cell . . .

. . . it was still a surprise when we found out . . .
    . . . there was still plenty of suspense, since we were waiting for months . . .
    . . . the only thing spoiled was the impact of Roger’s walk and podium announcement, which isn’t better TV than a live celebration shot . . .

. . . so this only makes sense if ESPN and the NFL have figured out that they can tell viewers that the next pick is coming up after the commercial break — and then charge premium prices for those 30 seconds right before the pick.

So on Thursday, when I see ads on both networks during that pre-pick period when one might have been in commercial break and the other would have been live with the pre-podium leak —

I will understand.

77. ronin36 says: Apr 24, 2012 4:27 PM

Actually, it’s simple enough.

No calls to the players before the announcement. Period.

Have a phone off-stage that all teams use to talk to the players.

Once the pick is announced, and all the publicity pictures are done. The player walks off the stage, and there’s some dude there with a phone in his hand. He gives it to the player, and the team is on the other end.

I don’t believe “the production people need to know who the pick is so they can get the footage ready.” Mule Muffins! They have hundreds of recordings already stored up, it takes a few seconds to type “Colt McCoy ” and it’s ready to go.

If they want cameras in the Green Room.. fine.. Have a half dozen of them. They can’t wear headphones, so they can’t communicate with the production truck. Give each cameraman a list of players, in expected draft order. Tell them keep their camera on the first guy until he’s drafted, then once he’s gone, shift to the second guy on your list, and so on.

78. cgarsmoker says: Apr 24, 2012 4:29 PM

On a side note….Mickey Loomis will be listening to the opposing war rooms before the picks are announced but will gain no competitive advantage while doing so.

79. mrfrostyj says: Apr 24, 2012 4:30 PM

I’m on the side of the “what’s the difference” group. 1st of all what is there to talk about for 10 minutes waiting for a pick. If you watch, you know the answer is “absolutely nothing” but now that you can’t go to the green room that’s what you’re making the announcers do.

second, you’ve taken away all the fun of watching the kid that slides down the draft board get frustrated as their uncle john and college friends tie up their phones calling them as they wait for a team to call. (you know what I’m talking about where the announcers jump the gun and talk about what a great pick it is just for the name announced to be someone totally different)

third, most of the time the pick comes in 2 or 3 minutes in but it takes Goodell another 10 to get up and make the announcement. Sounds like he just wants more eyes on himself than anything else.

80. jluns275 says: Apr 24, 2012 4:38 PM

This isn’t a 1st ammendment issue. The draft is an NFL event. They may therefore dictate terms of coverage, just like a regular game, or even the Super Bowl. If any network doesn’t want to play along, there’s a very simple fix for that-just kick them out. There’s no 1st ammendment argument about a trespassing charge.

81. ron69 says: Apr 24, 2012 4:57 PM

This will be better than the Oscars and more fun since you can always get a good laugh with teams reaching for players with “potential”.

82. nebster21 says: Apr 24, 2012 5:00 PM

If you are caught leaking your pick Goodell will take your 1st and 2nd round pick the next year away. Why, because he can and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

83. alaricsrevenge says: Apr 24, 2012 5:15 PM

I agree, just don’t call the players at all or all the players invited should be in a “madia closed” green room for privacy.

And Luck can’t sign a contract yet because they don’t know the rookie wage pool yet, he can’t even report to the team until after June 7th because he’s still in college.

I’m just hoping the Eagles move up to 12 and take Mark Barron, not only do we get a much needed prospect at safety, we also piss off the Cowboys.

84. bucsandrayszone says: Apr 24, 2012 5:51 PM

—————————————————

I don’t agree with Kiper a lot of times, but I definitely respect him. Without Kiper, there would be no “draft gurus” like Mayock. He basically created the industry. He might be a jagaloon sometimes, but he’s had a massive influence on the way people see the draft.

85. phoenix727 says: Apr 24, 2012 6:05 PM

This story is interesting from a logistical standpoint.

ESPN has undoubtedly made plans to have multiple crews at the residences and locations of many draftees this coming Thursday-Sunday.

With all the money that goes into securing such a deal, (production crews/talent/satellite truck/satellite space/etc), how will ESPN react to this?

Obviously they can go live after the fact, but we all know and have become used to seeing the money shot of the draftee on the phone before the pick is announced.

86. bayousaint says: Apr 24, 2012 8:07 PM

I hope that Comissioner GODell gets booooed off the stage again this year.

87. wabbitslayer says: Apr 24, 2012 8:09 PM

Click up if you think one of the more entertaining things about the draft is seeing the reactions of players when they get the call, down if you think it will be more entertaining watching some suit read a name off a card.

88. applecool1981 says: Apr 25, 2012 2:21 AM

harleyrider1973 says: Apr 24, 2012 2:58 PM

“j0esixpack says:Apr 24, 2012 2:22 PM

Attention Oakland Raiders – this means you!

_______________________________

damn Joe, thats the funniest s__t i have read all day”

——————————————————————————————————–

westclaims says: Apr 24, 2012 3:34 PM

“When you are married over 20 years, it is fun to not mention the draft to your wife for a week or two prior to the draft, then turn it on Thursday afternoon and drive her insane.”

——————————————————————————————————–

I think that might have taken over as the funniest thing said on here; I so should’ve done that at some point during my three year marriage.

89. applecool1981 says: Apr 25, 2012 2:32 AM

cmarsh64 says: Apr 24, 2012 4:03 PM

“Isn’t this a VIOLATION of 1st Amendment Rights? Goodell can ask for anything he wants but this one won’t work….Goodell your an Attorney you should know better to try and Squash my 1st Amendment Rights…Let the draft begin and the tweets to start you can stop the people.”

The first amendment allows people to speak freely in public without fear of repercussions from the government; the NFL Draft is a private function where the NFL may do what it wishes as long as it doesn’t go against the contracts they haven signed with the networks that are covering it.