Redskins reel in Neil Rackers

Getty Images

Graham Gano just gulped, hard.

The Redskins have signed kicker Neil Rackers, according to Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston.

“We’re headed to Washington,” said Rackers, who spent the last two years in Houston. “I visited with Coach Shanahan and [special teams coach] Danny Smith out there [Monday] and really enjoyed what they had to say.  I’ll be competing for a job with Graham Gano, who is an established, good kicker.”

Rackers said he wanted to stay in Houston, but that the Texans never came through with a multi-year offer.

“We’ve had promises for a while now on a long-term deal and they came to us with a minimum offer,” Rackers said.  “So we just felt like the opportunity for advancement was not in Houston.  We came in and did the job like they asked us to.  Didn’t really feel like that was appreciated.  I am really excited to go to Washington.  Really excited to compete.  Really excited to hopefully win a job and be the guy in Washington.”

Gano probably isn’t as excited.

71 responses to “Redskins reel in Neil Rackers

1. Gano is a choker. Maybe he turns it around b/c he has a big leg but last in FG % in ’10 and 3rd from last in ’11 can’t be ignored. Had several blocks as well but not all his fault. Lost me when he blamed a miss on the wind in FedEx.

2. The Redskins are making solid moves…they did overpay for Garcon but other than that, they’re filling holes and spending money wisely. Even if you’re a biased fan, you have to recognize that.

3. drop703 says:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:19 PM

_________________________________

You dont build through FA, its been this teams problem for years.

4. If I were a Redskins fan I would be scared. Didn’t he choke on the field goal in the last seconds of the game in Arizona in ’06 that the Bears won despite Rex Grossman?

5. My guess is Gano will kick flawlessly during the preseason and win out the job just to miss the first regular season FG and than all the important ones from that point!!!

6. Redskins are offseason champs every april but by september they’ll be back to losing form.

7. nice2meetumarco says:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:35 PM

Hey dumbass that’s old news you troll. do some research before you make yourself look like a bigger assclown than you already are.

8. Cowgirls beware.
    The Redskins will be winning the 2 and 3 point games they have not won or forced over time because of bad kicking. With Neil in town at least The Redskins have competition with two damn good kickers. Just expect to be swept this year.

HTTR

9. This is the trickle down theory. The excitement of RGLeaf is helping to attract free agents. Whooptie-do! They will still find a way to have drama and problems. These are not your father’s Redskins.

10. Whoever says the skins are building through free agency is just plain crazy and doesn’t watch the free agent list when it comes out and who goes to who. Everyone picks up pieces. Thats the point. If you can fill a position where there may or may not be a need you fill it if for nothing more than competition. Then the draft rolls around and we have 7 picks this year that will most likely turn into 9-10 picks. Love seeing the Skins build the right way!

HTTR!!!!

11. nice2meetumarco says:Apr 24, 2012 8:35 PM

——————————————————-

Classic hater.

12. It’s about time! I’m no Redskins fan, but I’ve never watched a Redskins game where Gano didn’t miss at least one kick!

13. It would no longer surprise me to read this site and see that the Texans had released Foster and Cushing. Wtf is this team doing?

14. For the love of God….please make it stop! Enough, already. What is wrong with my team??? We FINALLY make the play-off’s and actually won a game…and now they want to let a bunch of talented guys go. The Titans have called and wanna know where they should send the thank you card?

15. Where are the skins getting all this cap-space? Thought Mora & the giants took care of that?

16. I don’t care who they sign to kick….the line needs to block! Too many blocked FGs last year! Laces out dan

17. Apparently Redskins fans failed to watch Rackers last year…all his misses were important kicks. And forget about any FG over 50 yards too.

Good riddance Neil.

18. htowntexan says:

“It would no longer surprise me to read this site and see that the Texans had released Foster and Cushing. Wtf is this team doing?”

Are you seriously stressing over losing a KICKER?? A lousy kicker, at that. Rackers wasn’t exactly in the zone last year – he was mediocre at best. And forget about any kick beyond 48 yards. Rackers has one of the weakest legs in the league.

Losing Neil Rackers is no big deal.

19. No matter what anyone thinks about Rackers (he was great on my fantasy football team, I’ll tell you that), he is definitely better than Graham Gano and should help the Skins win one or two of those close games they lost last season

20. dawglb says:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:17 PM

You’re actually a Cleveland Downs fan talking smack?! Lmao this doesn’t even warrant a punch line response just go away lol

21. I’ve been wondering this for a while now Redskins fan’s. How can you be a HTTR (clever acronym of hater…moron’s) of a team that is consistently in the bottom of the NFC East & the joke of the NFL nearly every season? I’m a Giants fan, so of course I can call people HTTR’s who say that the Giants were lucky to win the SB, or we were lucky with the Tyree catch, or we were lucky the Pats didn’t catch that Hail Mary pass. Now those are HTTR’s….hating on a team that is consistently below .500 seems like its just speaking the truth, not “hating”. If your team does a bunch of dumb moves & wins only 6 games a year, I’m going to call you out on it & tell you your team blows. That’s it….oh, and Shanahan is definitely the most overrated coach in the game. Good luck next year Skins….you’ll need it.

22. Redskins cut Gano and sign Rackers because he is more consistent. Texans sign Gano because they now need a kicker. Seems like a probable sequence of events.

23. nice2meetumarco says:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:35 PM
    ———————————————-
    You’re late. That was when Vinny Cerrato was running the show. Those happy days are over for you. Allen and Shanahan have more sense.

24. 69firebird says:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:18 PM
    Deadskins will be last in the division this year, neither the coach or the owner have a clue. This is where a players career dies.
    ———————————————
    I hoped this was the place where you’d shut up. Sorry to burst your bubble….we won’t be last.

25. Bearfan54 says: Apr 24, 2012 8:30 PM

====================================
    Are you going back six seasons to find a negative career moment? Are you serious?

If I were BearsFan, I’d be far more concerned about a team that needs Jay Cutler to stay upright to win…and I only had to go back one season to remember that.

26. We did appreciative you rackers, but you can’t consistently make anything over 45 yards anymore, we’ll be fine with the rookie from Texas A&M, good luck in DC, I guess you don’t care about the playoffs

27. I thought Gano wasn’t so bad, the blocking up front on special teams was bad…Ethan Albright, Washington misses you!!!

28. “I’ll be competing for a job with Graham Gano, who is an established, good kicker.” So did he say this without bursting out laughing? If so most impressive.

29. sicklife1 says:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:32 PM

HTTR means hail to the Redskins, so before you call anyone a moron lets think about what we said, go back and apologize to your parents for ever being born, and then slide a gun barrel in your mouth and kill yourself for ever saying anything so obnoxious and lame

30. sicklife1 says:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:32 PM
    I’ve been wondering this for a while now, how can I be a fan of the giants when our smartest player and my personal hero, Brandon Jacobs is now in San Fran? I alweeyz wunted ta beez a fohty nina boss.

31. @sicklife1

“HTTR” means Hail To The Redskins, genius.

Nice little essay though. I’m sure you needed a nap afterwards.

And don’t even get started on the s**t talk about a “terrible” team that yours couldn’t even beat in the regular season. Guess it’s a good thing yall didn’t have to come through fedex on your way to the Super Bowl. See yall next year.

32.
    drglory says:
    Apr 25, 2012 12:58 AM

—————————————————
    Oh yeah that perennial playoff team , Houston. Lmfao!
    Get a trophy first clown. Skins have 3 !

33. sicklife1 says:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:32 PM
    __________________________________

Has nothing do do with hating you dense chump
    To see you even admit that you have been “wondering this for a while now”. Clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. Let me ease your pain before you hurt yourself. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS. Idiot.

34. rezdawg says:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:20 PM

Good riddance Neil.

__________________

Apparently you forgot to watch Gano last year. All of his misses were field goal attempts.

35. I’ve been wondering this for a while now Redskins fan’s. How can you be a HTTR (clever acronym of hater…moron’s) of a team that is consistently in the bottom of the NFC East & the joke of the NFL nearly every season? I’m a Giants fan, so of course I can call people HTTR’s who say that the Giants were lucky to win the SB, or we were lucky with the Tyree catch, or we were lucky the Pats didn’t catch that Hail Mary pass. Now those are HTTR’s….hating on a team that is consistently below .500 seems like its just speaking the truth, not “hating”. If your team does a bunch of dumb moves & wins only 6 games a year, I’m going to call you out on it & tell you your team blows. That’s it….oh, and Shanahan is definitely the most overrated coach in the game. Good luck next year Skins….you’ll need it.

HTTR is not an acronym for hater. It means Hail To The Redskins. Which is the team’s fight song, it is played and sang whenever they score. As a Giants fan you should be fairly familiar with the song, you heard it enough last year while getting swept. The joke of the NFL as you call them isn’t so funny now.

36. I remember when this guy couldnt kick an extra point let alone a game winning field goal but he could always kick the ball to Akron. He has worked and developed into a top 10 kicker, this is a good sign for the skins a real upgrade over Gano.

37. With the kind of close games the Skins have consistently lost in the last few seasons, this signing may very well translate to 1 or 2 more wins that the team wouldn’t have had without Rackers.

38. bwareromo says:Apr 24, 2012 8:21 PM

drop703 says:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:19 PM

_________________________________

You dont build through FA, its been this teams problem for years.

—————————

So, you are saying that they should not sign Rackers but instead use one of their late round draft picks to select a rookie kicker?

This is what happens when you have a “one note schtick” and just keep writing it over and over again without regards to any context at all.

39. sicklife1 says:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:32 PM
    ===================================
    Seriously?

HTTR does not mean Hater, come on man. Oh, and 2 or your team’s losses came from the skins in 2011. See you next season.

HAIL