2012 NFL Combine Getty Images

Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders has had a rough week.  But it won’t be getting any rougher, at least as far as his employment is concerned.

NFL Network spokesman Dan Masonson tells PFT that Deion Sanders will appear on Thursday’s NFL Network draft telecast, as scheduled.

Sanders has been involved in an ugly dispute with his estranged wife.  He took to Twitter on Monday after an incident occurred in their home.  (Yes, they still live together and, no, the arrangements are not the subject of a reality show.  Yet.)  Pilar Sanders was arrested and charged with assault on Monday.  On Tuesday, reports emerged that Deion also had been cited for misdemeanor assault.

It was hardly a slam dunk that Sanders would be on the air this week.  In 2010, NFL Network pulled Warren Sapp on the day of the Super Bowl after he was charged with domestic battery.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Despite assault charge, Deion Sanders will appear on NFL Network’s draft coverage”
  1. angrycorgi says: Apr 25, 2012 5:27 PM

Any chance he’ll assault Marshall Faulk? That could make this the most interesting draft EVER!

2. go9ers says: Apr 25, 2012 5:31 PM

I thought the NFL was trying to attract fans to watch the draft!

3. blacknole08 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:34 PM

Why would the NFL Network ban Primetime from covering the draft? Deion Sanders divorce drama has been going on for awhile now (BTW they already had a reality show a few years back) and if anything they would’ve already cut ties with him if they thought it affected his performance/made the network look bad.

Sucks for him though because she is a mental case.

4. polarbear71 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:36 PM

Good…I want to see Michelle Beisner kick his ass !

5. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:36 PM

yo deion…………pay the WOman!!!!

6. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 25, 2012 5:39 PM

Deion Sanders was cited for “simple assault.” Not arrested.

Simple assault in domestic abuse cases is described as, “any act that is considered aggressive — including touching or pulling away.”

Yea that’s right. My brother was cited for the same thing. He snatched the phone from his wife’s hand, during an argument, and the police cited him for it. Just because he did it out of anger and because she complained about it to the police (who witnessed it.)

That being said, this is far different than attacking your spouse in front of your children. Not to mention she brought along help.

7. udllama says: Apr 25, 2012 5:40 PM

You are a coward Florio, all I said was it was an irresponsible headline because it was his wife’s assault charge not his. Don’t be a coward

8. heisthejuan says: Apr 25, 2012 5:41 PM

WHY? He and Irvin are awful on television. Great players. Awful on TV.

9. mylionsroaring says: Apr 25, 2012 5:42 PM

I really hate it for him, as he seemed like he was getting his life on track. I guess when you work the hours he does and has a wife that wants the money and him it causes a fight.

Keep it real Deion and it will all work out.

WWJD

10. blacknole08 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:44 PM

Following up on what I was saying about Sanders having a reality show: it was called “Prime Time Love.” It aired a few years back and was quite popular on the Oxygen network. I never watched one second of it buI bet it sucked.

Just doing some research, unlike some of the guys who write for PFT.

11. polishkingski says: Apr 25, 2012 5:45 PM

i have never hated a ex player commentator like i hate deion sanders. he is racsist, he is a dumb ass and he is totally annoying to listen to let alone watch. as far as his wife goes, have you ever seen a pic of her ass and legs? mmmmmmmmmmmm. omg, talk about sexy. the only other black chick thats hotter is my beloved pam oliver and to this day she has never called me despite my many requests to buy her used pantyhose.

12. bangitfootball says: Apr 25, 2012 5:45 PM

Why just Deion? Get Warren Sapp, Jamie Dukes, Sterling Sharpe, Michael Irvin all on together so I can jump off a building to end the agony.

13. blacknole08 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:50 PM

———————————————-

Man to man, I must offer you this advice my friend: Never fall in love with a pretty smile and nice maximus. That has trouble written all over it! Avoid at all costs!

14. massappeal12345 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:50 PM

I actually like to listen to Deion. He’s one of the best on that network. I didn’t see the pictures that he tweeted, but that was a turnoff. Even though the guy always gets the short end of the stick in the he said/she said arguements, the cops thought they had just cause to cite him.

If he was a white guy, he would be off the air.

15. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:50 PM

they need rod woodson back on the nfl network, and add herm edwards, the crew they have now is bad!!!

16. gor76 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:52 PM

Go easy on Deion, this is the first time he’s been accused of hitting anyone. Ever.

17. LoCoSu@%s says: Apr 25, 2012 5:52 PM

bangitfootball says:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:45 PM

———————–
    Almost my thought
    Sterling Sharpe is sort of bearable, but the rest are total blowhards
    Sanders & Dukes are 1 & 1a to be canned, the rest I dont really care about.

18. javisrk says: Apr 25, 2012 5:54 PM

Somewhere, Warren Sapp is fuming.

19. bison4me says: Apr 25, 2012 5:55 PM

I’m late on this story, but last I read, he was getting his ass whipped by her, his kids saw said ass whipping take place, and watched their father fill out a police report about the ass whipping.

Why wouldn’t Dieon cover the draft, you can’t get an ass whipping on your own personal time and cover the draft the draft these days?

20. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Apr 25, 2012 5:56 PM

There is no limit to the depths that male/female anger toward each other can sink but if the NFL continues to put on guys like Sanders and Sapp then I am going to be forced to watch Boomer and Kiper. UGH!

21. trollaikman8 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:58 PM

“Lemme axe you a quechin’ Marshall…”

The draft show just got 86% worse.

22. irishgary says: Apr 25, 2012 6:02 PM

This made me think, If you had all of them together would the total IQ reach triple digits?

23. hammerjacker says: Apr 25, 2012 6:05 PM

angrycorgi says:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:27 PM
    —————————————————-

For all the complaining about the other NFLN analysts(much of which is deserved) Faulk himself is up there in being useless. OBVIOUSLY biased and often ignorant. Also, his chubby face makes me chuckle.

24. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 25, 2012 6:06 PM

I give Deion a whole lot of credit for what he did.

Why? What lesson are you teaching your boys? You run if a girl hits you (in your own home)? or you defend yourself, stand your ground, in a non-violent matter (no reason to believe he laid a hand on her in any violent matter), and call the cops. With all these athletes hitting their spouses Deion should be commended instead of ridiculed.

As for putting his business out there…he did a smart thing. So she couldn’t run to the media and lie.

SN: Those are her boys. What makes you think it was easy for them to write a police report on their mom? Why lie?

25. chrisvegas says: Apr 25, 2012 6:06 PM

Why does the NFL network have Sanders on the show? There are SOOOOOO MANY more retired football players who can do a MUCH MUCH better job. Sanders, Irvin, and Sapp are just horrible. Why can’t we get anyone better? It is why I don’t watch NFL network as much anymore.

26. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 25, 2012 6:07 PM

peytonsneck18 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:36 PM

yo deion…………pay the WOman!!!!
    ______________________

She’s suing him for $200 million. So no.

27. freemanmvp says: Apr 25, 2012 6:08 PM

Spoiled Cowboy’s players still getten to do whatever they want.What a joke.

28. ghjjf says: Apr 25, 2012 6:12 PM

It’s difficult to believe that Deion actually assaulted his wife because as a player, he never assaulted (tackled) anyone.

29. all32 says: Apr 25, 2012 6:16 PM

footballfan292 says:
    Apr 23, 2012 6:02 PM
    Not an ounce of class left in that organization. They cheat, they are dirty, they are disgrace to the game.
    ________
    and you’re a naive, easily misled individual who believes everything fed to him by unknown sources with little to no physical evidence.
    I’m sure you were big supporter of the Saints before all of this B.S. came out too.

Add in the six pot smokers from the combine and WOW what a team NFLN…

30. chiadam says: Apr 25, 2012 6:16 PM

Warren Sapp is reporting that Jeremy Shockey also assaulted Deion’s whackadoo wife.

31. buddybowl69 says: Apr 25, 2012 6:21 PM

Mute button: tested, works….

OK, ready for the Draft. As long as the NFL is fool enough to keep this joker on TV, thus forcing me to watch him, doesn’t mean I have to listen to the garbage that rolls out of his mouth. I’ll just use my remote to censor this bum.

32. xmgmx says: Apr 25, 2012 6:21 PM

@bangitfootball
    You are SOOOO correct, but you forgot to add Gruden to the list!! Any of these arrogant a$$es come on my screen, the channel is switched.

33. catfish252 says: Apr 25, 2012 6:25 PM

I can’t stand Sanders as an analyst, actually I never liked him as a football player, NFL Network please yank him, he is an empty suit, a loud garish empty suit, why don’t you put Jamie Dukes in all his spots. Jamie is a good man he’s always spot on, and he doesn’t have all this drama in his life.

34. bossaliniee says: Apr 25, 2012 6:28 PM

I love Michael Irvin and Deon on nfl network. They give it to u real and uncut threw the eyes of Hall of Famers. If nfl network gets rid of any of those two I’m gone.

35. skinsfaninnebraska says: Apr 25, 2012 6:45 PM

I’m just waiting for the new reality show on T.O TV: “Pilar vs. PrimeTime”.

Should be right up there with Survivor and Jon & Kate Plus 8.

36. ubummer says: Apr 25, 2012 6:47 PM

Go over the top in encouraging players to be physical, can’t have that. Lifetime ban.

Actually beat on a woman, who is not wearing you know, helmets and pads (well maybe pads but not that kind), and it’s no problem, we’ll put you on one of our premier annual events like Sanders on the draft show.

Of course, Sanders is only accused of assault, if it was certain he really did beat his wife, he’d have a shot at Defensive Player of the Year like James Harrison after he beat his wife.

37. bucfandango says: Apr 25, 2012 6:50 PM

Deion just joined Michael Irvin’s choir………….

And he wants to be on the cover of Madden NFL ’13

38. ilovefoolsball says: Apr 25, 2012 7:22 PM

“Here at the NFL we’re so concerned with player’s safety that we take aggressive action to suspend coach Sean Payton for an entire season due to his defensive coordinator talking mean in the locker room.

However we do not have a problem with putting analysts on our network who beat women.
    Translation: Women, we’re not scared of you suing us for anything so you’re on your own, good luck, and GODdell speed.”

39. jluns275 says: Apr 25, 2012 7:22 PM

Gee, why do I get the idea that a white guy would have been fired, or at least suspended?
    How fitting that reverse racism keeps a racist (Sanders) on the network (NFLN) of a league (NFL) that racists (James Harrison, Rashard Mendenhall, Adrian Peterson, etc.) often accuse of being racist.

40. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 25, 2012 7:35 PM

jluns275 says:Apr 25, 2012 7:22 PM

________________________

What?

41. bearsrulepackdrool says: Apr 25, 2012 7:36 PM

ilovefoolsball says:Apr 25, 2012 7:22 PM

_______________________________

His wife did the beating. Sanders was charged with simple assault. Which means he didn’t even have to touch her to be charged.

42. Deb says: Apr 25, 2012 7:45 PM

Big difference between being cited for misdemeanor assault and being arrested for domestic battery.

I have a friend still sharing the house with her estranged husband while they go through their divorce. Too weird for me. Why would you want to stew in all that bitterness?

43. crackills says: Apr 25, 2012 7:49 PM

A slap fight between Deion and his wife would make the draft bearable to watch.. may be they can do 32 one min rounds after each draft choice.

….. just an idea.

44. ericn42000 says: Apr 25, 2012 8:00 PM

Sometimes you have to slam a hoe

45. CKL says: Apr 25, 2012 8:47 PM

How about if Sanders and Dukes assault each other on tv??? Faulk’s a DB, yes but those two take DBery (and mindless constant shrieking and interrupting people) to a whole new level.

46. tonyromoisterrible says: Apr 25, 2012 8:48 PM

What a disgrace. Kick him off the channel. He adds nothing but bad English to the show.

47. jluns275 says: Apr 25, 2012 8:51 PM

Over your head a little bit there bearsrulepackdrool.
    That’s ok.

48. capitaloffense says: Apr 25, 2012 8:58 PM

I love Deion as a commentator/analyst. To me, he keeps it real and makes me laugh. I also think his chemistry with Mooch is epic. Who else can make Mooch say “Pay da man!” or “Do what you do!” I could do without the dancing, but other than that he’s great to me. Not to mention Deion has been pretty clean when it comes to criminal acts throughout his career as a player and an analyst.

49. larrybrown43 says: Apr 25, 2012 9:32 PM

This is great news for NFL fans. Deion has a remarkable gift of speaking without saying anything.

50. nygchamps says: Apr 25, 2012 10:16 PM

pays back a bitch deion, thats for all the cheating, drugs, kids that were not this wifes and other things u did before u say u tunred life around, Karmas a bitch.

51. staffordsyear says: Apr 25, 2012 10:56 PM

This is when the remote control comes in handy.

52. thacloser86 says: Apr 26, 2012 6:27 PM

Great talent but such a egotistic bastard. Pilar is a beautiful person in and out. He needs to show his older daughter some damn manners on twitter talking bout gets elders like that. Could not have been my mamma she would mop the floor with that young ass disrespect girl.