Jets’ Kerley says Tebow throws harder than Sanchez

Getty Images

Having caught passes from both Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, Jets receiver Jeremy Kerley says there’s a big difference: Tebow throws a lot harder.

Different than Mark, different than Mark,” Kerley told the Star-Ledger when asked how Tebow throws. “[Tebow’s] ball comes out a little bit stronger, but he’s accurate, he’s more accurate than what I thought he was going to be. But he’s a good dude, he has a great personality, he’ll bring a lot of personality to the team.”

Asked how much more velocity Tebow has than Sanchez, Kerley said, “A LOT, a lot more velocity. No dis to Mark, he brings it, man.”

Kerley wasn’t making any assessment about who’s the better passer between Tebow and Sanchez, but he was saying that after getting over the initial “shock” from the trade, he was glad to have Tebow as a teammate.

60 responses to “Jets’ Kerley says Tebow throws harder than Sanchez

1. Shocker!
    Of course Tebow throws harder than Sanchez.
    Tebow is built like a TE or a LB.
    Sanchez has the arms of malnourished 11 year old girl.
    Is this really news?

2. “It was a good shocked,” Kerley said. “We got a winner on our team. Obviously, that’s what he is. I was shocked but I was happy.”

They now “have a winner on the team.”

lol, wow.

3. Between living in NY/NJ as a pro athlete and the looming push to have him running the show Tebow’s faith will definitely be tested . It will be interesting to see what the Jets will have to give up to get Matt Barkley. I don’t see either playing a role for the Jets after 2012 .

4. I still look at Tebow as a talented FB who can also throw the ball. Yes he’s difficult to cover when he scrambles but that doesn’t make him a starting QB.

Should he actually supplant Sanchez as the starting QB, one need only look as far as Tebow’s record against the Jets main division rival last year when he was outscored by a margin of 86-33.

5. moagecu says:Apr 25, 2012 9:55 AM

That picture explains it all, look at that form.
    ——————————-

Did you just judge a man on their form? Last I checked, this was football, not a beauty pagent.

Have you ever checked the form of Arnold Palmer’s golf swing? Thats not textbook either, but didnt seem to stop him.

I’ll take a guy with a postive outlook, A-type personality over a sniping, C- back biter anyday. There’s a lot of angry people in the world today. They hate the rich. They hate Tebow. They hate the guy next door who got promoted.

There’s a reason for this hate. Other people are better than you. Tebow may not have the proper form (as if you would know) but this kid is driving the victim class in this country crazy – and I love it.

6. Tim Tebow = Rick Ankiel. Throws hard but accuracy is no where to be found. Im sure Tebow will find his natural position someday. For Ankeil it was right field.

7. This still doesnt mean:

He’s accurate
    Can read defenses
    Make line calls
    Throw a tight spiral
    Knows their playbook
    Step up in the pocket
    Avoid defenders

In other words, Tim Tebow will never be a good NFL QB

8. Somewhere, Elway is chuckling, and his team is quietly getting one of the best QB’s and pure passers in the game ready to go. No drama, no hype.

9. j0esixpack says:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:26 AM

———————————————-

You do know the Jets only scored 4 more points in their meetings with the Patriots right?

10. rudy1125 says:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:09 AM
    It’s hard to have form when you have someone in your face!
    ____

Don’t give me that, he should be putting power into it and taking the hit. Not putting the weight on his back foot and trying to avoid contact.

11. Did he actually use the word “accurate” in describing Tebow’s passes??? Eveybody in Jet camp is drinking the Kool-Aid. What happens if Tim is injured early in the season since they plan to use him more than a normal back up? Same ol’ Jets?

12. I’ll take a guy with a postive outlook, A-type personality over a sniping, C- back biter anyday.
    ______

13. I guess this Tebow story took precedence over the one where he explained why he prefers Charmin over Northern Comfort. I was so looking forward to reading that.

14. Has always been the case. Tebow throws a hard, accurate ball. He just doesn’t bother with the short, easy, stat padding stuff. Leave that to the likes of Brees and Bradford.

15. This has got to be the biggest non story in sports. Anyone remember Jeff George, Ryan Leaf and countless others with “cannons” for arms.

What’s any of this prove?

16. moagecu says:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:03 AM
    ______

————————————

“Ok, you take the “nice guy”, I’ll take the player thats actually good. We can see who wins.” – Dick Lebeau

17. hawkforlife says:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:07 AM

What’s any of this prove?

————————

They were head cases, not a good analogy at all.

18. Old Leatherface Namath barely managed 50% completion in his career, lost more games than he won, and threw more interceptions than touchdown passes. He would be laughed off the field if he was Tebow’s age today.

19. r8rsfan says:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:53 AM
    =====================

Manning is one hit away from the I.R. again…very few big time QB’s have excelled leaving established teams – Warner had to go through NYG before landing in Arizona and taking them to a SB only to lose.

Sort of like Craig Morton all over again – Morton was a backup in Dallas, then went to the Giants, then Denver late in his career , only to get rolled by the Cowboys in the SB

Namath absolutely flamed in L.A. as a Ram, so did Johnny U when he went to San Diego.

the protection scheme is going to change and Decker and Thomas arent remotely Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. But, its going to be interesting.

20. broncos81 says:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:54 AM
    j0esixpack says:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:26 AM

———————————————-

=========

No, I know the Jets eliminated the Pats in the playoffs previously and Denver didnt.

Right?

21. hawkforlife says:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:07 AM
    =========

Uh, George threw for 4,000 yards and played in a playoff game for the Vikings….he shouldnt be mentioned in the same category as Tebow and certainly not Ryan Leaf.

22. You all are nuts, I’ve seen Tebow throw some great passes. I’ve seen him throw deep, accurate passes. I’ve seen him lead a college and an NFL team to wins. I think he’s going to be serving you up big plates of crow to eat. It will be funny.

23. One can legitimately criticize Sanchez for many things but not for arm strength. His arm strength is fine. Who cares how hard Tebow can throw the ball if he can’t throw it a receiver. Both QBs are terrible and if we assume Gabbert loses his job in Jacksonville to Henne, whoever starts in NY would be the worst starting QB in the NFL by a large margin.

Not a Tebow fan and not a Sanchez fan but at least Tebow is a football player and a tough guy. I don’t think he is a better option than Sanchez but unlike Sanchez he does not play afraid. If he wasn’t so self righteous I would root for him.

24. babyhorsemorgan says:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:05 AM
    Has always been the case. Tebow throws a hard, accurate ball.

___________________________________

47% has never been and never will be considered a good number when describing how accurate a passer is.

25. Kerley was a disappointment in 2011!!!

Does he not know the difference between practice and game speed???

26. broncos81 says:

———————————————-

Correct. So based on that neither Sanchez nor Tebow seems to be the answer.

Actually I thought the Sanchez of 2010 was a decent QB, but any confidence he once had has been thoroughly eroded by a head coach who “guaranteed” Super Bowl victories for two years, then “guaranteed” that Sanchez would always be the starter…

… only to flirt with bringing in Peyton Manning and then actually bringing in Tebow.

I don’t think that word “guarantee” means what Wrecks Ryan THINKS it means.

27. sj39 says: You all are nuts, I’ve seen Tebow throw some great passes. I’ve seen him throw deep, accurate passes. I’ve seen him lead a college and an NFL team to wins. I think he’s going to be serving you up big plates of crow to eat. It will be funny.

—————————————–

The list of successful college QBs who failed in the NFL is a long one – and currently the only team Tebow has had any moderate level of success with couldn’t WAIT to upgrade at QB.

However I agree with you – Tebow is a tremendous athlete who, if used in the right way, can be of great help to a team.

Keep him on the field as a RB or FB who will keep defenders guessing and force a player to account for him at all times, and he will be a help.

Even in the blowout losses to the Patriots, it was clear that even when a team KNOWS Tebow is going to try to scramble for a first down he is very difficult to stop.

28. OBVIOUSLY Tebow’s a winner. The only problem is that he’s not as much of a winner as Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has more wins and has a higher winning percentage than Tebow in both the regular season and post season. But let’s not get crazy and allow the facts get in the way of the Tim Tebow urban legend!

29. Glad to see joetoronto busts on another team other than Cincy. What a moron! Anyway to my point, this is the beginning of Tebow splitting that locker room up.

30. You know, I dislike all the religious BS that Tebow brings, but with that said I’d love to see his leadership abilities bring the Jets together as a team.

Following the Jets this year is going to be a gas, one way or another.

31. Based on last season’s attempts, Tebow only needs to complete 2-3 more passes per game to get his percentage up to the 60 range. Considering his work ethic, his relative inexperience, the limited practice time with the Bronco’s first team, and their mediocre receivers last year, that’s hardly out of the question.

Saying that he’ll “never be able to do that” at this point of his career either shows a complete lack of understanding of football, or a lot of hate.