Report: “Many teams” rank Barron as No. 6 player in draft

Mark Barron Pic Getty Images

Since late Tuesday night, seemingly no player eligible for the 2012 draft has had hotter draft stock than Alabama safety Mark Barron. A report surfaced out of Buffalo that the Bills are “extremely interested” in Barron, and it’s now believed he could end up going earlier than the tenth pick.

Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFY Draft Insider has something of an explanation for all the fuss. Per Pauline, “several teams around the league” rate Barron as the sixth best player in the entire draft.

The inference here is that Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Morris Claiborne, Trent Richardson, and Matt Kalil commonly occupy the Nos. 1-5 spots on most teams’ draft boards. Barron is right behind them.

We examined some of Barron’s potential landing spots in this post.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Report: “Many teams” rank Barron as No. 6 player in draft”
  1. seanmmartin says: Apr 25, 2012 5:19 PM

And some moron had the Pats trading UP to get him?

uh uh girlfriend

2. descendency says: Apr 25, 2012 5:20 PM

How is a safety with limited cover skills the #6 player in this draft??? I’d really love to see what NFL decision makers are really thinking.

3. wadecounty93 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:21 PM

If he is there at #8 then Miami should take him over Tannehill.

4. FeedtheOldtotheYoung says: Apr 25, 2012 5:22 PM

If Barron is a true “in the box” safety, and Notre Dame’s Harrison Smith is a true “coverage” safety, wouldn’t Smith be more valuable in today’s NFL?

5. doctorfootball says: Apr 25, 2012 5:23 PM

Barron is without doubt the best safety in the draft. That said, he’s a middle of the first round talent. I’ve watched enough of him to see he has a lot of trouble covering receivers. I think someone’s going to over reach a bit.

6. icdogg says: Apr 25, 2012 5:27 PM

Yeah, 2 weeks ago he was the best of a bad batch of safeties. Now he’s the 6th best player in the draft.

I don’t see it. He’s a safety, and very few safeties are worth being picked anywhere near that high.

7. devinmr711 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:29 PM

My source tells me the Panthers (9th pick) are all over this guy. They have him third him #1 on their draft board. Also heard that Alshon Jeffery is going to Chargers with the #18 pick.

8. liner1900 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:35 PM

I have a feeling the RB and CB the Bucs are targeting will be gone at #5, and Barron lands in Tampa.

9. JaminJake says: Apr 25, 2012 5:37 PM

Sort of like the Williams vs. Reed debates. In today’s NFL, you’re better off taking a safety that can cover.

10. udllama says: Apr 25, 2012 5:37 PM

He’s valuable as an in the box safety because his main coverage skill is matching up with TE’s. In today’s NFL being able to have someone matchup 1 on 1 with the Gronks, Wittens, Grahams, Gates, etc is pretty important

11. rushbacker says: Apr 25, 2012 5:38 PM

This is getting ridiculous. Barron’s agent deserves a raise, though.

12. jpk6044 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:40 PM

The other NFL teams really know how to play Jerry Jones….write it down: the cowboys will be trading up.

13. curtainclosed says: Apr 25, 2012 5:43 PM

Too high for any safety. Every safety in the N.F.L. gets injured too much. Nature of the position.

14. bchapman2011 says: Apr 25, 2012 5:46 PM

Look for the Cowboys to move up to Miami’s slot at number 8. I know there are million false rumors floating right now but word in Dallas is that the two teams are talking right now. No move will be done until the Boys see Baron still on the board at 8 but I tend to belive this rumor given the Jeff Ireland-Cowboys relationship.
    Miami is much more comfortable selecting Tannehill later in the first round if he is still there.

15. mikejune says: Apr 25, 2012 5:48 PM

I love reading the comments.

It never ceases to amaze me that professionals with experience who get paid to evaluate NFL talent get criticized my dudes who’s knowledge of the draft is culled from watching Todd McShay and Mel Kiper on ESPN and reading mock drafts while laying around in the same sweat pants for a week.

16. expertop says: Apr 25, 2012 5:50 PM

devinmr711 says:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:29 PM
    ————————————————
    Wow, your “source”, huh? I like how you heard where a player is going at #18. That must mean your “source” knows how the previous 17 picks are going to go. That is serious inside information.

17. pnut87 says: Apr 25, 2012 6:06 PM

These guys havent run out of smoke bombs yet?

18. chrisvegas says: Apr 25, 2012 6:12 PM

It is just because there aren’t that many quality S in the draft. I was hoping the Eagles would take him at 15, but I doubt he falls that far.

19. ramitbaby says: Apr 25, 2012 6:17 PM

Report: Anonymous reports have no credibility.

20. bchapman2011 says: Apr 25, 2012 6:19 PM

pnut87 says:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:06 PM
    These guys havent run out of smoke bombs yet?

————————————————
    Baron is legit……..He will be off the board by pick 10. This is a PFT article that actually has SOME validity to it.

21. hammerjacker says: Apr 25, 2012 6:20 PM

mikejune says:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:48 PM
    I love reading the comments.

—————————————————
    Not that Kiper “is anymore qualified for his job then my next door neighbor the mailman”…but
    Where do you think Florio and PFT “cull their NFL Draft knowledge?”

22. purplecrowe says: Apr 25, 2012 6:23 PM

Don’t you get the feeling that after all is said and done, this draft is going to prove to be very mediocre? Especially at the top end? It may prove to be overall a deep draft, but not that elite? I like Kalil, but wouldn’t I probably be happy at 10 with Reiff? I like Blackmon, but wouldn’t I be happy at 10-15 with Floyd? I may prove to be wrong, but it just doesn’t seem to be to be very top-heavy when good but not great prospects like Claiborne and Barron are being hyped as potential top-5 type guys…

23. tfaulk says: Apr 25, 2012 6:26 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if real draft boards aren’t more like:

1. RGIII
    2. Trent Richardson
    3. Andrew Luck
    4. Matt Kalil
    5. Morris Claiborne
    6. Luke Kuechly
    7. Justin Blackmon
    8. Mark Barron
    9. David DeCastro
    10. Etc…

… and a fair number of these other projections are slipping in based on team needs and presumed draft value of impact players. Too many of these early/middle first rounders have lots of question marks (including Barron’s coverage skills but his intelligence, leadership, and inside the box skills may make up for his lack of downfield skills.)

(Here’s hoping that true team draft boards disagree markedly with the “experts” and Miami surprises all at #8 — possibly drafting a LB, SS, or DL.)

24. mmcdan133 says: Apr 25, 2012 6:33 PM

A good player…yes. Worth a top 15 pick? No. Look at KC. Eric Berry is as good a young safety as you’re going to find. He went at 3, and he’s already missed a year and has played in less than half of his teams games since he was drafted. It’s just such a high impact position. Think of all the games Polamalu and Reed have missed, even in their primes.

If I were a GM, I don’t think I’d ever take a safety that high.

25. kingjoe1 says: Apr 25, 2012 6:35 PM

How is it after all these years we still believe in all the pre-draft hype. THere is a ton of misinformation being thrown around you simply cannot take anything at face value. Drafting safties in the top 10 has not been a very successful endeavor in the past. A solid DT or OL beats a safety every time and right now there are plenty top notch OL and DT’s available. Barron will go 15 plus.

26. realdealsteel says: Apr 25, 2012 6:41 PM

Barron?? Sixth best player in the draft?? Boy..the smoke screening is getting thicker and thicker by the minute.

27. lostsok says: Apr 25, 2012 7:56 PM

Amazing. I’ve never seen a player go from way-underated to way OVERrated this quickly.

28. mdc21787 says: Apr 25, 2012 8:16 PM

i dont see it. i watched a few of his game tapes on youtube and i came away unimpressed. his hips are stiff, he’s not that fast, coverage skills arent the best, but would make a decent SS in the league. I see him as a late 1st round, early 2nd round talent. I was much more impressive with fitzpatrick the CB out of the same D-backfield, if that kid puts on 15 more pounds he’ll be a heck of a CB or even FS in the league.

29. skinstidecubsfan says: Apr 25, 2012 8:25 PM

I Saw all of baron’s games in college cause i’m a lifelong alabama fan,he was good but i do not think he is a top 6 pick.i’d take donta hightower and courtney upshaw before i’d take barron who had a tendency to work himself out of position at bama! i think claibourne from LSU is better.

30. mrguygadbois says: Apr 25, 2012 8:28 PM

I think this may be a smokescreen by the Bills- they may want someone projected to go high, and are trying to shake things up to see if a certain player could fall to them.

31. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 25, 2012 8:38 PM

There will be 26 players in the Green Room this year. All of whom are expected to go within the top 8 picks of the draft.

32. mjkelly77 says: Apr 25, 2012 8:39 PM

Is Evan Silva best friends with Barron’s agent? Gay lovers, maybe?

33. rexryanschoolofpodiatry says: Apr 25, 2012 11:03 PM

Barron is not just an in the box safety. He ran a 4.5 after having double hernia surgery 3 months earlier. He has good ball skills, his football IQ is off the charts, he was a cornerstone of the best defense in the country. He is the total package.

34. thatmulekicks says: Apr 25, 2012 11:09 PM

___________________________________

Does the guy that you play Dungeons and Dragon’s with in your parent’s basement qualify as a “source”?

If he does, I am all over this intell….

35. kingfish4242 says: Apr 26, 2012 5:35 AM

doctorfootball says:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:23 PM

39 9

=================================

Bingo, I’ve seen quite a few Tide games living in SEC country. I don’t think his game translates well to the NFL. Roman Harper is the same type of player and former Tide grad. He’s one of the best in the box safeties in the league. The problem is he can’t cover NFL caliber receivers.

Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski,Vernon Davis, Tony Gonzales,and Antonio Gates.These are the types of Te’s a safety needs to cover now. If a safety can’t cover, it’s going to be a long day for the defense. He didn’t see these types of Te’s at Bama.

36. scottieplongballs says: Apr 26, 2012 8:41 AM

@tfaulf

Wow! Every NFL exec is gonna be checking your draft board. Who cares! All this hype for the first round and everyone knows the draft is won in rounds 2+ Just ask the Packers. And I’m a Vikings fan. Suck!