Loomis welcomes contact from investigators on eavesdropping allegations

Mickey Loomis Getty Images

For those of you who missed today’s PFT Live with Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis, you can still see it by clicking the box in the right rail of the site.

For those of you who can’t listen to anything at work due to mundane concerns like, you know, job security, here’s a quick summary of what Loomis had to say on the biggest issues currently confronting the Saints.

He flatly denied the allegation that he had the ability to eavesdrop on opposing coaching staffs from 2002 through 2004.  He admitted, however, that he previously was able to listen to the Saints’ coaching staff during games.

Loomis also said that he has yet to be contacted by the state and federal authorities who reportedly are exporing the situation.  He said that he will cooperate fully if/when asked.  “[Y]es, I welcome that,” Loomis said.  “I welcome an investigation because, again, it is not true.”

Loomis also did not close the door on the possibility of legal action, either against ESPN or whoever it was who made the allegation that an eavesdropping system was in place.  “We are going to explore that,” Loomis said.  “If that is available, then we will pursue it.  Loomis claimed that ESPN’s John Barr had been trying to find something negative to report about the Saints since the bounty scandal was disclosed by the NFL.

As we’ve said once or twice (or more often), the situation needs to be fully investigated, and the truth needs to come out.  Whatever it may be.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Loomis welcomes contact from investigators on eavesdropping allegations”
  1. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 26, 2012 2:00 PM

Anyone else feel that the more people have a closer look at the Saints dirty laundry, the worse it will be for the Saints?

2. geauxjay says: Apr 26, 2012 2:00 PM

Loomis also said that ESPN’s John Barr had been trying to find something negative to report about the Saints since the bounty scandal was disclosed by the NFL.

______________________________

Sounds like ESPN has a bounty on the Saints. Somebody should investigate.

3. sportmentary says: Apr 26, 2012 2:01 PM

I don’t trust the guy as far as I can spit and trust me, it isn’t that far.

The FBI doesn’t get involved with cases unless there’s initially some solid reasons to do so.

It looks like CheaterNation is blaming everyone but themselves when it comes to allegations of misconduct.

Don’t you think the best policy at this time would be to shut up and direct all questions to your legal team? That should be the motto of every employee of CheaterOrleans Aints.

4. bchapman2011 says: Apr 26, 2012 2:02 PM

Guilty or innocent…..What else do you expect him to say?

5. fin72 says: Apr 26, 2012 2:02 PM

…He admitted, however, that he previously was able to listen to the Saints’ coaching staff during games.
    ______________________________

Why didn’t he say this right off the bat and wait until now? I think there’s truth to the allegations and this will be the excuse if he was seen listening to any locker room communications.

6. medtxpack says: Apr 26, 2012 2:02 PM

Hi! Im Drew Brees and I approve this message.

7. stevedils says: Apr 26, 2012 2:03 PM

I think if I was Mr. Loomis, I would just keep my mouth shut regarding this issue. There are far more powerful agencies investigating these allegations than the NFL. The potential penalties are far greater than missing games and paychecks.

8. kingbeason52 says: Apr 26, 2012 2:03 PM

Can we stick to the draft today please, we get the point by now…Thanks

9. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 26, 2012 2:07 PM

Mickey Loomis and Tom Benson welcome any and all investigators to come search and interview.

Mr. Loomis and Mr. Benson also welcome the nations top litigators to come interview for position of lead counsel when they sue John Barr, ESPN, and any other persons that can be held monetarily liable.

Other top attorneys are welcome to explain if any legal actions are available to go after the Gestapo Goodell for his clear, unbiased, unprecidented, and unjust assault on the team.

Mr. Benson and Mr. Loomis additionally invite dozens of the top mental health specialists to give much needed care to the mentally challenged haters of the Saints, and to help those haters get a life.

10. SeenThisB4 says: Apr 26, 2012 2:08 PM

ESPN has been incredibly silent on this story now for two days.

I think John Barr will probably be filing a bankruptcy pretty soon. Seems to be a trend over there.

11. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 26, 2012 2:09 PM

Loomis is dying to hear what they have to say.

12. rasalas says: Apr 26, 2012 2:14 PM

Where’s the part where you say he’s protesting too much — you know, like your Dolphins coverage?

13. cletusvandam says: Apr 26, 2012 2:15 PM

We all know Mickey Loomis would never lie.

14. rayburns says: Apr 26, 2012 2:21 PM

While ESPN has some really good sports analysts who do a really good job taking the time to investigate issues and documenting sources, it is becoming more and more obvious that in the rush to grab ratings, that the network feels no compunction about cutting a few corners in order to get a headline grabbing story that gets the ESPN name into the news for a few cycles.

Remember, the E in ESPN stands for Entertainment and the N certainly doesn’t stand for news. Their job is to appeal to the prurient interests of the fans, not to report the news.

15. saints25 says: Apr 26, 2012 2:25 PM

ESPN,Didn’t break the Bounty story…an thats what this is all about.Pathetic for Barr to stay in NOLA 30 days to look for Anything(dirt) on the Saints.The Only thing the Saints have gotten in trouble for is Lying to a man, That the National media Worships like he’s their God……SMH

16. 49erstim says: Apr 26, 2012 2:32 PM

I’ll say, first off, that I have ZERO trust in this guy. He is a habitual liar. However, how is anybody going to prove this happened?

By the way…. Just because I can…. How is it that if you don’t like something or find fault in something you’re labeled a “hater”? Hey delusional lemmings, your team cheated and lied! Also they’re dirtbags! We all fell victim to the feel good story of the comeback of New Orleans via that Saints SB run. I, however, am not blind or deaf and thus have seen and heard evidence of wrongdoing. Get real. We’re all fans of our respective teams, but please stop being shills. It is embarrassing.

17. mark921129 says: Apr 26, 2012 2:33 PM

“The latest Saints official to go on the record is Robert Carroll, audio engineer for the Saints’ radio broadcasts. Carroll told WWL that, if anything like that was going on, he would have known about it.”
    – Quote from Saints Audio Engineer in a PFT article yesterday.

“He admitted, however, that he previously was able to listen to the Saints’ coaching staff during games.”
    -quote from Loomis in a PFT article today.

Correct me if im wrong, but this sounds a lot like what the engineer said wasnt happening. If he had the technology to listen to his own coaches, logically, he also had the technology to listen to the opposing coaches.

either Loomis is lying (very likely), or the engineer is clueless. (also very likely)

18. raiderinva says: Apr 26, 2012 2:35 PM

I hope that ESPN gets slammed. For years they have had the corner on the sports market and have twisted stories with no recourse.

Its about time foe ESPN reputation to get dragged through the ringer like they have done to so many others.

19. abengalfan says: Apr 26, 2012 2:38 PM

SeenThisB4 says:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:08 PM
    ESPN has been incredibly silent on this story now for two days.

Agreed. When the story broke my reaction was to wait for any other news organization to add something to the story, nothing but crickets chirping since.
    And we all know ESPN never reports something that is flat out wrong. Why it is as accurate as the magazines at the grocery check out.

20. kane337 says: Apr 26, 2012 2:40 PM

Drew Brees needs an explanation.

21. nineroutsider says: Apr 26, 2012 2:40 PM

@kathyisintheroom – absolutely pathetic; grow up! Trust me – the Saints fans have made their beds much worse with comments like that. Whatever makes you feel good though…

Regarding Loomis’ comments, we can only hope they are true, but he doesn’t get the benefit of doubt. The league and us fans don’t need a legal circus…I want to get back to football!

If ESPN cooked this whole thing up, I hope the league shakes them down harshly! Somewhat hard to believe because the FBI (and others) took the allegations serious enough to investigate. Like I said, hope there is nothing there…but with these guys I am now surprised by nothing.

22. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 2:42 PM

Mike’s word choice is meant to fan the embers conspiracy and like sheep you follow.” He admitted, however, that he previously was able to listen to the Saints’ coaching staff during games.” Mike you could said like all 32 teams he had the ability to listen to his coaching staff. Then again I would of don the same as you if I were a paid blogger. It is really easy to manipulate the weak minded, by using inflammatory words like admitted.

23. sportmentary says: Apr 26, 2012 2:50 PM

49erstim Couldn’t have said it better myself.

24. rexismybff says: Apr 26, 2012 2:51 PM

”[Y]es, I welcome that,” Loomis said. ”I welcome an investigation because, again, it is not true.”

===========================

Loomis went on to say that he looks forward to group showers at the Louisiana penitentiary.

25. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 2:51 PM

sportmentary | Apr 26, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
    I don’t trust the guy as far as I can spit and trust me, it isn’t that far.

If you’re looking for blame look no further than yourself. Everyone who has lived life is guilty of something. Filling basketball brackets for money, super bowl pools, weekly football pools. None of which are legal. Who wants to be the first to pay back taxes on any winnings in these pools?

Oh one more thing you need to just shut up they don’t care if you trust them. They don’t even know you exist.

26. absolutsaints says: Apr 26, 2012 2:52 PM

sportmentary says: Apr 26, 2012 2:01 PM

I don’t trust the guy as far as I can spit and trust me, it isn’t that far.
    ———————————————–

sportmentary i believe you…because rumor has it that you are a swallower

27. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 2:54 PM

cletusvandam | Apr 26, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
    We all know Mickey Loomis would never lie.

The real question is would he ever tell the truth? If you so no to this then you become the liar And you would not want to ruin your perfect record of never telling a lie.

28. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 2:59 PM

49erstim | Apr 26, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT

Have you ever met him? How do you know he is a habitual liar? Are you using the i takes one to know one method of identifying habitual liars? I need an explanation.

29. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 26, 2012 2:59 PM

“There is something about that guy Loomis I can’t quite put my finger on”, confided one rival NFL coach, “But he has always bugged me.”.

30. sdave1971 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:02 PM

fin72 says:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:02 PM
    ______________________________

————————–
    He has said this “right off the bat”.

31. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 3:09 PM

49erstim | Apr 26, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT

Tim is asking why he is being labeled a hater for his polite criticism of the Saints … Bawhaaa calling fans delusion lemmings and the team dirtbags makes you a hater. Just remember fan is short for fanatic. This is your explanation for Saints Fans sticking up for the coach/gm that delivered them a super bowl. Did you stickup for the 49ers when Eddie Debartolo cheated his way to the 49ers super bowls?

32. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 26, 2012 3:11 PM

@nineroutsider

Sweetheart, I have seen many of your childish, immature comments, so please don’t dare speak to ANYONE about growing up!

Since you have a clear bias as a fan of the leagues largest fan(gang) base i will ignore your statement and consider it as puberty pains.

33. dvdman123 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:13 PM

The NFL will look the other way if this turns out to be false. They will not punish one of their sacred cash cows like ESPN.

34. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 3:19 PM

Trolling all 49er fans I would like to call for an investigation into the 49ers super bowls. We may have to put an asterick by your super bowls due to cheating. The NFL discovered the 49ers were paying players money under the table from convicted felon 49er owner Eddie Debartolo. I need an explination for this.

35. maximusprime107 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:37 PM

Just look at how different he’s handling this situation, not hiding from it, welcoming investigators, etc… That should tell everyone something

36. geauxjay says: Apr 26, 2012 3:38 PM

Here’s my question to the Hater Nation:

What if your team just got the harshest punishment in the history of the NFL and the commissioner basically admits that it goes on all over the league but nobody else gets punished for it?

But then, instead of going out and trying to find the evidence that other teams were doing it too, ESPN decides to go out and starts revealing irrelevant evidence from TEN YEARS AGO that nobody can prove?

I bet if ESPN would have focused on bounties as hard as they are trying to dig up dirt on the Saints, other teams would be in trouble too. But noooooooooo, the Saints are a renegade franchise that must be stopped!

37. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 26, 2012 3:38 PM

49erstim

Sorry that I intimidate you. I understand that many males are threatened by women that are smarter and more secure than them.
    But you must remember even though i am a woman, and mentally stronger than you, more secure than you, and more mature than you, i still have feelings that hurt easily.

So I say with a tremble in my voice, and a very heavy heart, that someday i hope you find a cure for your lil man syndrome

38. ikoikofinanay says: Apr 26, 2012 3:43 PM

One of you morons think Mickey should keep his mouth shut and another thinks he should have spoken up sooner. Another of you geniuses think the FBI doesn’t investigate unless the person is already guilty.

Without a doubt, it is clear that you all live in your mom’s basement. The most exciting thing to have happened to you is the Saints pay for performance scandal.

Start packing and get out of the basement, morons. You won’t be happy for long. Wait ’til the Saints take the field and beat the crap out of your team. And I can’t wait to see them run up the score. GEAUX SAINTS!!

39. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 26, 2012 3:49 PM

Mickey knows some good lawyers and he’s going to put a bug in their ear.

40. nineroutsider says: Apr 26, 2012 4:00 PM

@kathyisintheroom says: Apr 26, 2012 3:11 PM

Hey, I’m just glad you remember me :) and yes, I admit to trolling. But it’s only because I have no respect for Saints fans. I tried, but they talked so much crap before the 9er game and never came back for their medicine the next day. That is part of the game, you talk smack you got to come back for your medicine. They certainly can dish it, but they can’t take it. A very tiny part of me does feel bad for them giving all that is going on (wouldn’t want it to happen to my team), but how many of them are saying they are mad at the guys that put them in this position instead of crying about conspiracies?

@vikingamericann – Eddie D was stupid enough to think he could do a legitimate business deal in Louisiana. Oops! He went down there an NFL owner and came back a felon along with their Governor at the time. Set the team back a decade, but we took our punishments like a champ. No bags, no blackouts, just manned up like 5 time champs and dealt with it.

41. 49erstim says: Apr 26, 2012 4:04 PM

@vikingsamerican…. it has been stated that he lied to both the commish and to the owner… More than once. Sounds habitual to me. If he lied about the bounty situation it is understandable that I would believe he is lying here. I’m not saying he is guilty or innocent. It is an allegation that I don’t think they’ll be able to prove, but I darn sure won’t take his word for it…. As for Eddie D: have you ever once read anything from me condoning his actions or spewing venom because the league punished the 9ers? Better yet… Have I responded harshly to anyone that has brought that up? The answer is no. I never even complained when the 9ers were busted for “tampering a couple years ago. I’m not saying give up on your team, I’m just saying that the PFT-based fanbase seems like they blame everybody EXCEPT their organization.

@kathy…. Thanks for the shout out! You made me laugh so I gave a thumbs up to your tirade. I choose to stand by what I wrote due to the fact that you chose to attack me personally instead of actually refuting anything I wrote. Thanks for playing though…. Ya know, they say “a womans work is never done”. Huh. I guess that is why they get paid less. :-p calm down. I’m just having a little fun at your expense.

42. nineroutsider says: Apr 26, 2012 4:13 PM

absolutsaints says: Apr 26, 2012 2:52 PM

sportmentary says: Apr 26, 2012 2:01 PM

I don’t trust the guy as far as I can spit and trust me, it isn’t that far.
    ———————————————–
    sportmentary i believe you…because rumor has it that you are a swallower
    ————————————
    Given my noted immaturity, I must admit that this is too damn funny! Still laughing, nothing personal sportmentary – you have to admit its funny (and you left yourself open to it).

I much prefer these types of comments as opposed to the boo-hoo they all hate us and it’s all a giant conspiracy because of our success crap. 1 Super Bowl…get over yourselves.

43. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 5:33 PM

49er Tim fair point 49ers took their punishment and moved on Saints should get the same punishment as the 49ers. What was that o yeah a third round pick no suspension.

44. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 5:51 PM

49er Tim. You logic is flawed. You employ a technique called circular logic to draw a conclusion of habitual lying. Then you take the word of one proven liar Goodall example of Goodall’s lies Remember it was his study and statement that concussions do not pose a longer term health risk.

So let me try your circular logic technique Can not trust Loomis because he is a habitual liar because Goodall said he was, but he is a habitual liar so he must be lying about Loomis being a liar therefore Loomis told the truth and no bug or bounty existed. Wow that works so much better than evidence.

45. nineroutsider says: Apr 26, 2012 6:00 PM

@vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 5:33 PM

—————————————————
    Right because tampering is the same as an injury bounty program (even if they weren’t very good at executing it)? They could have gotten away with NO PUNISHMENT if they simply stopped doing it the first 2 times the league asked and we would have never known about it. You have to be mad at your team just a little bro…

46. 49erstim says: Apr 26, 2012 7:06 PM

@vikingamericann…. unnamed NFL investigators found the info about the bounty stuff. That is when the lying thing came out. I won’t debate their findings with you. it was found that he lied about having knowledge of said program, thus if he lied there I (meaning ME) find it hard to trust him. I could care less whether anybody shares that view. You can believe him and it won’t offend me. As for your comparison between tampering and a pay to injure program… C’mon dude. Trying to get a guy to sign with you before he “legally” becomes a free agent and trying to end a guys CAREER (potentially) are lightyears apart and I find it unfathomable that you can’t tell the difference.

47. vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 7:13 PM

vikingamericann says: Apr 26, 2012 5:33 PM

—————————————————

We are not talking about tampering we are talking circumventing the cap 49ers used under the table payments to win super bowls. Saints are accused with Goodall sitting on 50k plus pages of undisclosed proof, of circumventing the cap to win a super bowl through pay for performance payments. And bro I don’t need to be mad at a team I’m just here to argue, because it amuses me.

48. gingerkid2000 says: Apr 27, 2012 4:04 AM

Can someone post a quote from John Barr’s article where he say that the allegations made by the unnamed source are true or where he directly accuses Loomis of cheating? I read the article and all he’s really doing is quoting the source based on a tip that a claim was filed with the US Attorney General’s office. Most of it is just speculation not accusation in which case Loomis has no case against ESPN. If it turns out that the unnamed source made false accusations then they can be held accountable for liable but ESPN’s punishment will only be that they look like an incompetent tabloid.

As for Loomis’ “credibility” I’ll reserve judgement until after the investigation is over.