Thursday night is hockey night, too

New York Rangers v Ottawa Senators - Game Six Getty Images

Yes, we’re all looking forward to the draft, which will be held in New York City.  But when it comes to live sports, there’s an event about 15 blocks south of Radio City Music Hall that will be far more interesting.

Starting at 7:00 p.m. ET, the Rangers host the Senators in Game Seven of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.  The game will be televised on NBC Sports Network.

After that game ends, NBC Sports Network will pick up in progress another Game Seven, between the Devils (the Devils!  the Devils!  heeeeeeeeh!) and the Panthers, which begins at 8:30 p.m. on NHL Network.

So we suggest tuning in for the Senators-Rangers game at 7:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN (actually, tune in at 6:00 p.m. for NBC SportsTalk) and then, when the draft starts at 8:00 p.m. ET, pull up the split screen and toggle the audio back and forth.

Or, if you prefer, go full screen on the 52-inch HD with hockey, and follow the draft at PFT and on our Twitter page, @profootballtalk.

Either way, check out the hockey.  This year, interest is up and ratings are up so if you don’t watch you may miss something.  (Besides, any hockey fans out there gotta support the team.)

After the hockey, stay on NBCSN for a re-cap of round one, along with interviews that some Internet hack will have done backstage with several of the first-round picks.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Thursday night is hockey night, too”
  1. juliusleazer says: Apr 26, 2012 2:59 PM

HAHAHAHAHA. Cue follow up of “football is popular, more popular than hockey” story tomorrow.

2. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Apr 26, 2012 3:02 PM

3. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Apr 26, 2012 3:05 PM

I’m a hockey fan, but how is this relevant other than the NBC factor?

4. massappeal12345 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:06 PM

Is the hockey season still going???

5. dmartin17 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:06 PM

Just follow the draft online, no reason to watch it on tv.

6. nineroutsider says: Apr 26, 2012 3:07 PM

The hockey playoffs have been awesome this year (except for the Sharks); it’s really starting to pull me in. The Caps/Bruins series was awesome too. With the exception of football playoff games, nothing else comes close to Game 7’s in hockey and baseball.

I’m going out on a crazy limb here and saying the Philadelphia Flyers take it all.

7. thingamajig says: Apr 26, 2012 3:09 PM

Someone actually thinks a hockey game is more interesting then the NFL Draft???

8. xtb3 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:11 PM

Hey remember, it’s just a couple years ago after a dispute with Dolan that the draft was moved out of MSG. There have been instances in the NHL where playoff games had to be played elsewhere. Once Flyers played in Quebec City because Spectrum roof was damaged and Rangers played their home games in Toronto in a Detroit series years ago. With today’s draft now taking 3 days – this would have been a problem had the draft not been moved.

9. selgaeinla says: Apr 26, 2012 3:11 PM

Or buy yourself a Avitech multiviewer, input all your cable boxes into it, and it divides your screen into however many channels you want to watch. A 52 inch divided into 3 or 4 screens is much better than network PIP.

10. dmartin17 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:12 PM

Oh come on people, you know I’m right. There is too much time between picks and the talking heads are painfully boring. The only good part is when the announce the pick and then the quick 1-2 minute highlight package.

11. rexryanschoolofpodiatry says: Apr 26, 2012 3:13 PM

If you like football, I don’t see how you can’t like hockey.

12. comeonnowguys says: Apr 26, 2012 3:14 PM

@niner

But watching the West semis this year is going to be watching paint dry.

Dead puck era is returning.

13. ntestarossa says: Apr 26, 2012 3:22 PM

“leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Apr 26, 2012 3:02 PM

Pretty frustrated that I live in Florida and can’t get game 7 of the Panthers series. Why is this not on CNBC?”

I felt the same way last year when there was Versus, and it was a paid-for channel. Luckily NBC bought them out.
    Check out your local channel though. Because last night, even though it said it was on NBCsports, they actually air the bruins game on the local channel(nesn) too. Which, on the program guide, said it was a baseball game.

14. rabidbillsfan says: Apr 26, 2012 3:26 PM

This is relevent because one team is from NY and in another game, a team that resides 100 miles away from NY will also be in action. You also don’t know whose going to win, unlike the draft, where 25 guys are going to be picked in the top-10, and 100 trades will take place, but all in all you will know whats happening before it happens. My favorite part of the draft is switching between NFLN and ESPN and seeing the diffrence in opionions from Kiper to Mayock.

15. delsj says: Apr 26, 2012 3:34 PM

Corporate shill!

16. trollhammer20 says: Apr 26, 2012 3:43 PM

It’s eighty-three degrees outside where I am right now, and I’m supposed to care about a sport played on ice?

The month opened with the Masters and the NCAA tournament, and all I could think was “Cool, Seattle’s getting new uniforms.” The month closes with NHL first round game sevens and the start of the NBA playoffs, and all I can think about is “Cool, Seattle’s picking 12th, I wonder who they’ll get?”

17. nineroutsider says: Apr 26, 2012 3:45 PM

@comeonnowguys says: Apr 26, 2012 3:14 PM

@niner

But watching the West semis this year is going to be watching paint dry.

Dead puck era is returning.
    ————————————————
    Now wonder I like watching the East much more and I’m a west coast guy. I really like the way the Flyers play, hope their goalie can play well enough to keep them going. I’ve been impressed by the Caps too and Holtby. The hit leveled by Claude Girue (?) on Sidney Crosby reminded me a lot of football and the crowd going crazy in the background was awesome. Philly fans were jacked!

Anyway, I am a hockey novice so I should shut up before I embarrass myself, but the 1st round has been awesome.

@thingamajig – let’s see, watch people in suits talk about guys in suits that won’t be playing for months and could be garbage or watch hard hitting, game 7 drama right now. The choice is easy bro, hockey playoffs. I mean seriously, the draft is important, but not enough to watch out…will follow online though and maybe watch the 9ers pick. Intermission provides a good time to check in.

18. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 26, 2012 3:48 PM

You should mark entries like this as sponsored posts or commercials so we can skip them.

I really don’t give a rip that the company you work for is showing hockey tonight and would rather have me watching hockey on their channel than the draft on someone else’s channel. It’s like when ESPN stops college football coverage right before a game on CBS and then encourages you to stay tuned for Divison II gymnastics.

19. phillyphever says: Apr 26, 2012 3:48 PM

There’s nothing like a game 7 in hockey. Lucky for me, my team doesn’t have to play one. My heart wouldn’t be able to take it. Go Flyers.

20. sleazysnake says: Apr 26, 2012 3:55 PM

That was a shameless plug.

You should be ashamed!

21. firemarshal1 says: Apr 26, 2012 4:03 PM

Let’s go Rangers!

22. abengalfan says: Apr 26, 2012 4:03 PM

If I want to watch fighting I tune in MMA.
    When I want to watch hockey I wait for the Olympics, cause they play hockey instead of fighting.
    and the NHL wonders why it is such a small niche sport.

23. cowboyhater says: Apr 26, 2012 4:06 PM

The DC area is beginning to see a change. Caps onto the second rd of the playoffs, Nats are 14-4 with a ridiculous bullpen, Wiz kids won 5 in row, and now the skins will be picking their franchise QB. It feels pretty good to be a fan in DC.

24. comeonnowguys says: Apr 26, 2012 4:26 PM

@cowboyhater

So… your hockey team finally wins a playoff series, Nats have had a great 18 games out of 162, and the only team below the Wizards in the East may be the worst team in NBA history.

Those are some serious rose-colored glasses.

25. raiders757 says: Apr 26, 2012 4:26 PM

Hockey is easily the greatest sport in the world now that the NFL has gotten so soft. I can’t wait for the puck to drop.

Go Rangers!!!!!

26. ubummer says: Apr 26, 2012 5:00 PM

Hockey is the sport with the biggest disparity between watching it live versus on TV. It’s awesome live, but couldn’t possibly be more boring on TV.

27. Grulks says: Apr 26, 2012 5:02 PM

cowboyhater wrote:

=========
    Caps have always been a perennial playoff team. It’s not like they haven’t gone to the second round before, they went to the conf finals in 2008-09.

The Nats are a welcomed and surprising change though.

For all the people bashing Hockey, go to a playoff game, preferably a game 6 or game 7. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how awesome it is.
    I’d rank it better than a regular season NFL game, but not quite as good as a Playoff NFL game.

28. stunzeed5 says: Apr 26, 2012 5:13 PM

Can’t leave without a shoutout to Knuble and Ward for putting Boston out of its misery last night!

And Braden Holtby….wow.

Let’s GO CAPS!

29. stunzeed5 says: Apr 26, 2012 5:15 PM

cowboyhater says:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:06 PM
    ____________________________________

Love this guy!

30. henryholland666 says: Apr 26, 2012 6:07 PM

It’d be great to watch the hockey game tonight but NBCSN is in a rates dispute with the cable company I’m stuck with, Time-Warner Cable, so watching all the dead time at the draft it is.

Go Kings Go!

31. db105 says: Apr 26, 2012 6:10 PM

Hockey beats watching basketball.