Matt Kalil is a giant (with a small “g”)

As we brought 11 of the 20 players at Radio City Music Hall who were drafted Thursday night into the special backstage NBC interview room, the camera on the tripod was constantly moving up and then down.  Football players come in all sizes and shapes, short and tall, thin and thick.

And while I was taller than Trent Richardson (contrary to popular belief, I’m nearly six feet tall, when measured from the bottom of the lifts in my shoes to the top of my toupee), I looked up at most of the guys.

With Vikings left tackle Matt Kalil, I looked way up.

Kalil is a giant.  And he apparently knew that Vikings were coming for him, given the color of his extra-long tie.

Here’s what he said, including whether he’s stronger than his “big” brother (who’s four inches shorter), Panthers center Ryan Kalil of the Panthers.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Videos
46 Responses to “Matt Kalil is a giant (with a small “g”)”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:27 PM

I HATE THIS. I thought they were saying he got his rights traded to the Giants ha.

2. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 27, 2012 3:29 PM

Myeeh….I’m going with popular belief on this one.

3. chaser44 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:31 PM

wow I really was expecting to read that they traded him to the Giants, happy I was wrong.

Go Birds

4. cali49er707 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:32 PM

no matt nice try, your a vilking!!! just because you are in new york it does not mean your a giant, NO RING FOR YOU!!!

5. bigal1952 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:34 PM

For a second there I thought the Vikings had traded Kalil to the NY Giants.

6. southcakpanther says: Apr 27, 2012 3:36 PM

If Matt is anything like his brother Ryan, Vikings fans are gonna love the guy.

7. indywilson40 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:37 PM

I see what you did there.

8. RedSox83 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:38 PM

I almost pissed my pants, try other synonyms, like beast, monster, etc.

9. mnnightowl says: Apr 27, 2012 3:38 PM

Boooo on the headline choice of words; sounded like he had been traded to the Giants! Recommend “Matt Kalil has a large man”

10. nineroutsider says: Apr 27, 2012 3:39 PM

The Vikings have chosen wisely by not fallen for Morris Newman, I mean Morris Claiborne, and did well for themselves with that trade. Cleveland is just completely lost…

Still don’t like Leslie though!

11. gb4mn0 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:40 PM

Who cares? The vikequeefs blow!

12. cereal blogger says: Apr 27, 2012 3:40 PM

Florio looks like Jiminy Cricket

13. homelanddefense says: Apr 27, 2012 3:43 PM

wow, so a 6’7″ guy is tall…stay tuned for more breaking news later…..

14. pnthrz1 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:47 PM

OT is not a need for the Panthers but believe me, I was dreaming of the Ryan and Matt combination on the Panthers OLine.

Vikings, you got a game changer on the OLine. If/When there is another Pro bowl, I would expect the Kalil brothers to be there.

15. chadmurdigan says: Apr 27, 2012 3:53 PM

“I’m nearly six feet tall.”

I know a lot of five foot four inch guys who say the same thing when they’re sitting on a bar stool next to some hot babe.

16. careerender56 says: Apr 27, 2012 3:54 PM

SO NOT COOL!! thought the Gmen had traded for kalil, title made me spill coffee all over my desk

17. nelavs says: Apr 27, 2012 4:02 PM

Will we be seeing Kalil’s mom at any games? She looked like quite the MILF from yesterday.

18. hugejazz says: Apr 27, 2012 4:02 PM

Did anybody else notice that his mom is a major babe?

Just sayin’.

19. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Apr 27, 2012 4:03 PM

I’m sorry but there’s just no way you guys didn’t know what the reaction would be with that title.

With that said…I lol’d.

20. jbcommonsense says: Apr 27, 2012 4:04 PM

As a Redskin fan, this headline spooked/fooled me.

21. wwwfugu says: Apr 27, 2012 4:06 PM

Pictures don’t lie.

22. fkajames says: Apr 27, 2012 4:15 PM

Maybe need to change the title of the post to “Matt Kalil is a giant (not a Giant)” or “Matt Kalil is a huge freaking ginormous mountain of a human being” or something like that.

23. kpow55 says: Apr 27, 2012 4:15 PM

Wow, USC has a lot of average players in the NFL. I hope this guy rises above.

24. vikefan says: Apr 27, 2012 4:16 PM

Who cares? The vikequeefs blow
    ———————————————————
    thx closet fan….we have been missing your never ending, witty, legendary, wise, indispensable, insightful repitoire that you always give us (sarcasm in case u did not get that)

let me know if any of those words were too big for u to understand

25. wludford says: Apr 27, 2012 4:18 PM

giant with a small ‘g’.

It’ll be great to have Kalil go up against Jared Allen in practice. Kinda like HOF Vikings Gary Zimmerman and Chris Doleman, Ron Yary and Carl Eller.

26. 4thquartermagic says: Apr 27, 2012 4:35 PM

@ wludford says:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:18 PM
    giant with a small ‘g’.

_______________________________

Uhh you mean HOF Broncos Gary Zimmerman.

27. alaricsrevenge says: Apr 27, 2012 4:36 PM

Could’ve just said Giant Man.

28. tjh9985 says: Apr 27, 2012 4:38 PM

What’s next? Luck is a saint and Kuechly is a patriot………for loving his country.

29. purplekoolaid1 says: Apr 27, 2012 4:49 PM

How many inches does your toupee give you? It’s a really nice one at that.

30. gb4mn0 says: Apr 27, 2012 4:49 PM

vikefan says:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:16 PM
    Who cares? The vikequeefs blow
    ———————————————————

let me know if any of those words were too big for u to understand

——————————————–

Frankly I’ve chosen to keep my incontrovertible comments pithy and succinct for the benefit of you inurbane, feebleminded tardos of the Empty Trophy Case Clan in MN who sadly have been victimized with mental retardation through incest. We can only hope you’ve learned from your parents mistakes and practice safe sex with your siblings. The vikequeefs blow!

31. calbsure says: Apr 27, 2012 4:54 PM

Expect to receive bills in the mail from me, one for the cleaning bill associated with the spoilage that I left in my pants by your statement and the other for the paramedics coming to the house. Pleeeeaaase, be careful in your verbage in the future. What sweeeeeeet first day. Rick “Slick” Spielmen batted a 1,000. Here’s to hoping it continues for the next 2 days.

32. vikefan says: Apr 27, 2012 4:57 PM

Who cares? The vikequeefs blow
    ———————————————————

let me know if any of those words were too big for u to understand

——————————————–

———————————————————
    ur thumbs up is only from urself

incest was learned from our eastern neighbors for anyone that may practice that & im still sure u think mls has more smog/crime/pollution/drugs than LA….ur the very definition of incest

33. purplepridehasadownside says: Apr 27, 2012 4:58 PM

gb4mn0, thanks for your insight, child…

Now, go lay by your dish, the adults are trying to talk.

Thanks.

34. halbriston says: Apr 27, 2012 4:58 PM

Wait, his brother…”Panthers center Ryan Kalil of the Panthers”…what team is he on again?

35. teddybayer123 says: Apr 27, 2012 5:14 PM

Every man has had enough of you and D. Patrick and all your stupid hair talk. Like a couple a chicks.

The “almost” 6 feet tall thing is jut a lie, you midget. (BTW, if the word “midget” is in the dictionary — and it is– it’s not a slur. You midget, Florio.)

36. teddybayer123 says: Apr 27, 2012 5:14 PM

The “almost” 6 feet tall thing is just a lie, you midget. (BTW, if the word “midget” is in the dictionary — and it is– it’s not a slur. You midget, Florio.)

37. nineroutsider says: Apr 27, 2012 5:20 PM

@gb4mn0 – Not to get involved in a bitter Viking/Packer dispute, but writing out a comment and then brutalizing it with a thesaurus in a desperate attempt to display intelligence and wit is not overly impressive.

Just to get started a little early; the 9ers will help the Vikes out week 1. You boys start the season 0-1.

Oh, and SF5GB4…

38. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Apr 27, 2012 5:21 PM

Hahahaha, you guys completely redeemed yourselves with the title change. Well played.

39. gb4mn0 says: Apr 27, 2012 5:33 PM

vikefan says:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:57 PM
    incest was learned from our eastern neighbors for anyone that may practice that

——————————————-

You’re not very bright, are you? But if it makes you feel any better, there never was any doubt that incest is widely practiced by you vikequeef toads. Especially same gender incest.

40. bleedgreen11 says: Apr 27, 2012 5:42 PM

anything for some extra page hits.

41. dmart120 says: Apr 27, 2012 5:54 PM

how did this get published? what a waste of my time

42. gb4mn0 says: Apr 27, 2012 5:57 PM

nineroutsider says:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:20 PM
    @gb4mn0 – Not to get involved in a bitter Viking/Packer dispute,

————————————

That’s OK, come on in the water is fine. I don’t mind a twit from gay bay entering the fray. It’s only appropriate that a fan of the team from the region best defined by it’s tolerance to abnormal behavior come to the rescue of the Helga hat wearing gender benders.

43. vikefan says: Apr 27, 2012 5:57 PM

——————————————————–
    many congrats on your 1 thumbs up, bet i know where that came from and know exactly go back when u r done with it…..

44. vikingsfanintexas says: Apr 27, 2012 6:12 PM

gb4mno…

continue to come on in and bash the Vikings all you want, no one really cares or pays much attention to your posts as they are honestly quite boring.

But be an adult for a change… think of something original to say. Something with wit and biting humor that could really get under the skin of the Vikings fans!!

I for one, have given up on you already and don’t even bother to hit the ole thumbs down button… I just ignore you and chalk up your efforts to a lack of confidence and a cry for help.

Don’t bother to reply… no one cares…

45. fijabbersman345 says: Apr 27, 2012 6:18 PM

———————————————————

Okay, 1) are you REALLY talking about incest, coming from someone who cheers for a Wisconsin team?

2) You spelled about half of the “big kid words” you used wrong, or they just didn’t exist. (See: feebleminded, which should be two words, and tardos, which also isn’t a word.)

3) Everytime your mouth opens you make Vikings fans feel better about themselves. So keep it coming.

46. vikefan says: Apr 27, 2012 7:35 PM

——————————————————
    …….& how would u really know? u r proving your closet case in more than 1 way each & every day…..to funny……