Mike Adams convinced the Steelers to put him back on their board

Mike Adams AP

In a meeting with the Steelers’ brass at the Scouting Combine, Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams told them he never smoked pot. When Adams’ drug test came back positive for marijuana, the Steelers decided that a guy who had looked them in the eye and lied to them wasn’t the kind of guy they wanted on their team, so they removed him from their draft board, even though they thought highly of his on-field performance.

“We were point-blank with him,” General Manager Kevin Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We said, ‘Mike, you’re off our board.’

So why did the Steelers draft Adams on Friday night?

“He sought us out,” Colbert said. “He requested a face-to-face with me, Art Rooney and Mike Tomlin, and we presented it to him: These are the stipulations that you have to accomplish for consideration for us to draft you, which the young man did. He met our criteria, met our stipulations.”

Colbert declined to say precisely what those stipulations were, but Adams did enough of the right things between the Combine and the draft that he got himself back on the board. And Adams said he’s thrilled about that.

“I’m just happy to be a Steeler and very relieved that it’s all over,” Adams said. “I love this organization and I’m glad to be a part of it. Ever since I imagined playing in the NFL, the Steelers are the team I wanted. I grew up in Farrell, Pa., and when I was 4 years old my entire bedroom was Pittsburgh Steelers stuff. So it was important for me to reach out to them.”

And reaching out to them has paid off well for Adams.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Mike Adams convinced the Steelers to put him back on their board”
  1. jthammerstix says: Apr 28, 2012 10:51 AM

Overrated.

2. skoobyfl says: Apr 28, 2012 10:52 AM

Good for him, I hope he lives his dream.

3. clw1906 says: Apr 28, 2012 10:55 AM

I’m sure they were able to WEED through his issues that cost him not to be drafted as HIGH.

4. woodyg says: Apr 28, 2012 10:55 AM

Good for him. Now that the pressures off, Adams can sit back, relax & light up a doobie to celebrate.

5. conradschloss says: Apr 28, 2012 10:58 AM

He probably didn’t inhale..

6. bettis3636 says: Apr 28, 2012 10:59 AM

There is risk with EVERY draft pick… this is just a story to write about… But he made a TERRIBLE choice to smoke weed before the combine… only knock..! He’s a monster that will cover Ben’s blindside for many years!!

7. pozone6031 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:02 AM

jhammerstix sounds like a ratbird. Two great line additions for years to come

8. terraj35 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:03 AM

From people I know in Columbus, I hear Mike isn’t the hardest worker. Built perfect for his position but he gets a little too comfortable sometimes.

9. kuantan97 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:04 AM

Steelers getting all sentimental. How cute. Yet another sign of their overall decline.

10. pftcensorssuck says: Apr 28, 2012 11:08 AM

So raping a young girl in a locked bathroom is okay in The Steeler’s eys, but lying about sparking up a fatty is not?

I guess he had to promise to stick to molesting women, to get back on their “board”.

11. worldwidebleater says: Apr 28, 2012 11:09 AM

Primanti Brothers is great when you’ve got a toasty buzz.

12. sirhulka says: Apr 28, 2012 11:10 AM

Business as usual for the Steelers. While most morons have been believing that “they are on the decline” for the past 10 years, they continue to ensure through the draft that they will be consistently one of the best teams in the NFL. Grabbing two starters in the first two rounds, and they will get another future starter today at NT. Sorry, idiots, the Steelers aren’t going anywhere.

13. wludford says: Apr 28, 2012 11:11 AM

I think the Steelers GM had it right- a little more risk than we like, but a lot of potential and ability if he can clean-up his act.

14. Stiller43 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:12 AM

One of the stipulations reported was counseling, again, which he did. As he said, being a steeler was obviously important to him and he said it was basically heart breaking when they told him he was off their board…as a steeler fan, i hope he continues to think playing for the black and gold is a privelage and treats it accordingly.

15. mborz says: Apr 28, 2012 11:15 AM

I could care less about pot and it wouldn’t bother me if they stopped testing players for using it. I don’t have a problem with that.

However, it’s extremely stupid to put yourself at risk of a positive test in his situation. And I do have a problem with stupidity.

Even worse, he did lie about it. And I have a problem with that as well.

Saying the right thing and projecting the right image once you’re already in trouble doesn’t mean much. Most people can pull that off.

I wouldn’t have put him back on the board, and I’ll go on record as saying I’m concerned about this pick. I hope I’m proven wrong.

16. jluns275 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:19 AM

Adams can say that he can’t be held responsible for lying to the Steelers because he was high.
    Look on the bright side, Steeler fans. Even if he can’t put down the pipe & he ends up getting suspended, Adams could turn out to be a great wingman for Big Ben when he goes out looking for female companionship. Adams has demonstrated he can be cool under pressure when he’s caught in a big lie by Steelers brass.

17. steelerhypocrite says: Apr 28, 2012 11:20 AM

Maybe his stipulation was that he must lose a bunch of weight and height, and turn into a RB…God knows they need one…

18. smackingfools says: Apr 28, 2012 11:21 AM

In a nut shell, we can beat the test with no problem but you’re gonna have to be completely honest with us for us to achieve that. Almost all those NFL players smoke weed. They just know how to get clean minutes later.

19. Canyonero says: Apr 28, 2012 11:25 AM

This should be the new Rooney Rule

20. phillyphan83 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:27 AM

All cross-state hatred aside, this kid’s gonna be a beast in the NFL for years. His tape looks good, he’s big, strong, and agile. Steelers are known for having beast o-linemen so he will fit right in and get great coaching. Glad you’re in the AFC.

21. damagecontroller says: Apr 28, 2012 11:29 AM

He lies about smoking & gets drafted by the same team he lied to…Yet, Jenkins admitted smoking after transferring from Florida & gets slammed by teams & media…?!…Well, we see what happens when you’re honest……

22. robomar says: Apr 28, 2012 11:30 AM

mborz is 100% right. well said. i have dealt with yougsters my entire life as a hockey coach and scout at a VERY high level and waiting to say the right thing ONL after your caught is easy to do for a bright kid who knows how to buy himself more releif and chances ….. only to see him fall back on his habits. this player will be out of Steelers org, after 3 yrs of not much. a fraction of SHolmes production if we are lucky

23. jluns275 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:31 AM

sirhulka says:

——————————————————–

jluns275 says:

How exactly can you consider Adams a surefire starter? He obviously couldn’t resist the dope when he KNEW he would be tested at the combine-& his goof was positively reinforced to him as he still got away with it when the Steelers still picked him fairly early. How can you assume that money & fame are going to make it easier for him to exhibit a little self control?
    Also, by the way…in case you missed it, your front office and head coach just fired Bruce Arians this offseason & hired Todd Haley as offensive coordinator.
    Todd Freaking Haley.
    As a matter of fact, your team very well may be heading for decline now.
    Believe that. I’m a Chiefs fan. I know of where I speak.

24. mswravens says: Apr 28, 2012 11:32 AM

Suckers!!!

…and don’t buy the hype about their 3rd round LB…listen to the analysts who know…the guy is small, weak & a 4-3 LB at best. He doesn’t fit the Steelers 3-4 scheme. Guys like John Clayton heaping praise on the Steelers don’t know what they’re talking about. Through day 2, AFC North teams draft performance rank as follows: Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Browns.

25. robomar says: Apr 28, 2012 11:33 AM

Steelers brass should not have been swayed by his extremely delayed “atonement” face to face gesture and they will learn for next time. better would have been LB- Lavonte David at 2 and shockingly OT- Bobby Massie at 3. heck even DT- Ta amu or BThompson were better at 3 than their pick LB-Spencer

26. skin94249 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:41 AM

So the Steelers are the ones to disclose the positive test. How dirty a trick to play on a young man. Just to get him and save money. My Redskins should learn these tricks !

27. johntonioholmes says: Apr 28, 2012 11:48 AM

pftcensorssuck

Well, accusations are certainly not the same as being convicted!

But how would you know?

28. jluns275 says: Apr 28, 2012 11:55 AM

Trent Richardson & Brandon Wheeden?
    The Browns just adressed 2 glaring needs.
    How is that not a better draft than any of the other AFC North teams?

29. Deb says: Apr 28, 2012 11:58 AM

@pftcensorssuck …

I routinely want to slap Ben upside the head for his lazy work ethic and idiotic comments. But when a woman texts friends she can’t wait to see a guy again and another’s medical exam shows she didn’t have sex with anyone that evening, they weren’t raped. That would be why cops in both jurisdictions said they had no evidence any crime occurred and the guy was never even arrested. I know this doesn’t fit your Steelers rape fantasy, but it is what it is.

As for Adams … I don’t use either, but any alcohol drinker damning the morals of a pot smoker should get an A in hypocrisy. Want to reduce the national debt? Decriminalize pot and start taxing it like alcohol. Poof … you cut prison overcrowding, court costs, testing costs, and gain a big new source of revenue. And I’m sure none of you angels has ever lied to a potential employer :roll: The guy was willing to jump through their hoops to get the job. He’ll probably be willing to play by the rules to keep it.

30. mdavid36 says: Apr 28, 2012 12:07 PM

give it 2-3 years and the steelers will have the best young O-Line in the league. These are genius picks and probably add 3 years to Ben’s career.

31. jluns275 says: Apr 28, 2012 12:43 PM

Deb:

I’m sure Adams would be willing to play by the rules to keep the job as you suggest-just as he did in the period of time leading up to the combine when he….
    oh, wait…

I wholeheartedly agree legalizing & generously taxing marijuana would do some of those things you mentioned to benefit our society. As a matter of fact, I’m quite certain we’ll find out before too awful long (especially if the country continues to elect socialists into positions of power).
    Unfortunately for your argument regarding alcohol vs. marijuana & the presumably self evident hippocracy-it just doesn’t play.
    Alcohol use currently is not.
    If these 2 simple facts were not the case, we’d not be having this conversation.
    None of these things make Adams a bad person…well ok, maybe a little untrustworthy, but certainly not a villian.
    It just makes him a bad gamble for an NFL franchise that has every right to restrict the use of illegal (or even legal) substances by employees & representatives of the team.
    That’s the simplest part that marijuana advocates cannot seem to grasp.

32. thatmulekicks says: Apr 28, 2012 12:47 PM

pftcensorssuck says:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:08 AM

******************************************

OMG Loser

Get over yourself. If you are going to as yap about something that you know nothing about can you keep it reasonably current?

Whats next? The SMU Cash scandal from the 80s?

Here is a guy that should have been top half of the 1st round and he fell into the Steelers laps. He didn’t beg to play anywhere other than Pittsburgh and that burns your tired ass.

Eric Dickerson just called…..he wants his horse collar back.

33. maddog111 says: Apr 28, 2012 12:56 PM

jluns275 says:Apr 28, 2012 11:55 AM

Trent Richardson & Brandon Wheeden?
    The Browns just adressed 2 glaring needs.
    How is that not a better draft than any of the other AFC North teams?
    ————————————————-
    well, mainly because Wheeden sucks and you reached for him. And Marshall Schwartz? Did you guys draft an accountant?

34. osgood36 says: Apr 28, 2012 1:01 PM

So “Guys like John Clayton don’t know what they are talking about “. Man, I guess every talk show, tv show and newspaper writer should stop calling him and just log on to see what mswravens blogs. Clearly some random fan knows way more than a guy who as spent the better part of 3 decades covering the league. A matter of fact all draft shows should stop covering the event, deferring to mswravens, the new draft guru, spreading idiocy and ignorance throughout the world. The Internet is now dumber because mswravens decided to post its comments.

35. brewdogg says: Apr 28, 2012 1:09 PM

sirhulka says: Apr 28, 2012 11:10 AM

———————————–

Ummmm……Someone who is assuming that an as-yet-undrafted NT in rounds 4-7 will be a future starter really shouldn’t be calling anyone else morons or idiots. Just saying….

36. quizguy66 says: Apr 28, 2012 1:30 PM

Steelers will get a pass drafting this guy. Bengals would’ve been crucified. Typical double standard.

-QG

37. stew48 says: Apr 28, 2012 1:42 PM

To: Steeler lovers
    To: Steeler haters

Gee, I hope at least one of you recalls that I guaranteed the Steelers would select an offensive lineman with their first pick. For the many of those who disagreed with me it is only right that you acknowledge I really do know the Steelers better than you think you do.

38. 405benchpress says: Apr 28, 2012 1:48 PM

Yea the stipulations where you must rape at least three women and make a mockery of this country and the Men who defend it

39. briang123 says: Apr 28, 2012 2:02 PM

This young man is under a lot of pressure. Thanks to the Bush economy I am sure his family needs money and is hounding him.

40. deebo92 says: Apr 28, 2012 2:09 PM

Im not to worried about the marijunana. Most on here have probably dabble in it in their past. This stuff is becoming more and more legal. I dont like it. I dont like Mike Adams lied but, with 1st round talent and personally calling a meeting with the Steelers and knowing “our” offensive line problems, I’ll take him.

41. jclu7188 says: Apr 28, 2012 2:26 PM

_______________________________________________
    Funny how that “as-yet-undrafted NT” was picked uped by the steelers and is projected to replace Hampton as a starter. Just saying….

That said, this pick is laughable. It’s easy to be honest when you’ve already been caught.

42. cnmiddel says: Apr 28, 2012 2:34 PM

Stew, Im a steeler fan just like you, and really don’t care what you ‘thought you knew’ they drafted him bc he fell in the draft not bc the said ‘we are going to draft ol inthe first round’ that shows how lil you know the steelers. Best player available nuff said

43. jluns275 says: Apr 28, 2012 2:36 PM

thatmulekicks:

pftcensorssuck’s reference to Worthlessberger is entirely relevant. The discussion centered around a high (pun intended) Steelers draft pick engaging in illegal activity. Big Ben didn’t have to go to jail for his assaults to be wrong.
    And really, either way the Steelers will get what they deserve in regards to the Mike Adams pick:
    Either he’ll behave, go on to have a solid career while not getting any failed UA-related or other suspensions, thus showing the Steelers to have been righteous in forgiving Adams’ lie;
    or:
    He’ll be out of the league in 3 or 4 years after playing only intermittently due to continued drug related &/or law trouble related suspensions, thus burning the Steelers for believing another whopper of a lie from
    Adams.
    Based on his actions & behavior so far, which do you think is more likely?
    We’ll see.
    Good luck to Adams & the Steelers. I’ve a feeling they’ll both need it on this issue.

44. jluns275 says: Apr 28, 2012 2:54 PM

briang123 says:

——————————————————–

jluns275 says:

Way to stay on topic there, but I’ll go ahead & play along for a few. I was never a Bush fan myself. That said-I’m not sure whether YOU are currently under the influence, able to properly read a calendar, or otherwise keep up with current events…
    It’s April 28, 2012. We’re are currently 3 years & 4 months into this country’s latest experiment with socialism. The nation’s unemployment rate grew a full 3 percent under one Barrack Hussein Obama. So if Adams’ family is indeed having difficulty finding work, you’re going to have to work just a little bit harder to find a way to blame Bush on that one.
    Personally, I have a hard time understanding why anybody (other than those who are physically or mentally handicapped) would say they’re having a hard time finding work. One may not be happy with whatever jobs are available, or overwhelmed with the prevailing wages, but there always seems to be something to do. Jobs are so hard to find I have 2 of them, & have for my entire adult life. I’ll not be blaming anybody for that though. That’s my own responsibility.

45. mswravens says: Apr 28, 2012 3:08 PM

@osgood – you sure are good at slinging insults. I’m so hurt! But if you could actually READ (I know that would distinguish you amongst the toothless inbred Steelers fan crowd, but still, if only you could…) you would note that I wasn’t making any evaluation. I was suggesting you pay attention to people who watch tape & evaluate players…and not the talking heads who just speak to personnel people & pass on their spin. So maybe when a guy like Mel Kiper writes “he’s not a dynamic or top echelon prospect, but he stays on his feet in traffic and, as a weak side linebacker in a 4-3, Spence figures to be a nice fit” you might stop being a psycophant and question why a devoted 3-4 team like the Steelers would pick him? If you were listening to Pat Kirwan when the pick was made – someone else who watches film – you would have heard him and the whole Sirius NFL crowd say the exact same thing & also say that the pick made absolutely no sense for the Steelers. So maybe the Internet is worse off for me sharing these perspectives, but maybe…just maybe…you want to dig a little deeper than the talking head spin you prefer. I guess in your world Worilds & Sylvester are just beasts, so what does it matter anyway. Ha! Old, slow, and DONE!!!

46. Deb says: Apr 28, 2012 3:30 PM

jluns275 says:

Deb:

In the simplest of all possible terms, for better or worse, marijuana use is currently illegal. Alcohol use currently is not.
    ————————————————-
    Please excuse the choice of examples, but in the simplest of all possible terms, for better or worse, sodomy is currently illegal in many states. Something tells me that wouldn’t stop you gentlemen from participating in oral sex. So your argument just doesn’t play.

Yes, marijuana is illegal. My only point was that it’s hypocritical for alcohol drinkers to act as though it’s a big, bad drug … given that alcohol has been proved to play a significant role in domestic abuse, rape, battery, molestation, workplace injury and traffic deaths.

Interesting to have you agree that decriminalizing marijuana would likely result in the economic benefits I mentioned … yet you think only the “socialists” are likely to do it. That’s the first time I’ve heard someone suggest the “socialists” are fiscally responsible. We also agree that his pot history doesn’t make Adams satanic :twisted: He’ll either be an asset or he’ll be out of a job. I think the team make a good gamble.

47. jackericsson says: Apr 28, 2012 3:45 PM

Maw ravens, denial isn’t just a river in Egypt. Keep saying the Steelers aren’t having an awesome draft. Eventually, you might start believing it. I can’t wait to join Steeler Nation again in Baltimore and take back our AFC North title. We own it, you borrowed it. The only problem going to the game in Baltimore is it takes awhile to get that Baltimore stink out of the clothes.

48. osgood36 says: Apr 28, 2012 4:00 PM

@mswravens “through day 2, AFC North teams draft performance rank as follows: Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Browns” IS an evaluation you made. Also, ripping me for only listening to talking heads I agree with by quoting talking heads you agree with is an interesting and wildly hypocritical tactic. It says a good bit about ones confidence in their own team when they have to troll rivals stories, making outrageous and speculative comments in order to make themselves feel better. Have a day, I would say have a good day, but I doubt that is possible.

49. Deb says: Apr 28, 2012 4:01 PM

mswravens says:

————————————————-
    Ouch!! LOL

I’m on NFL Network and missed those analyses, but the pick puzzled me as well. You know Tomlin is a 4/3, Tampa-2 guy. With us taking a NT in the fourth, I’m not expecting changes to our scheme, but do think we’ll try mixing things up a bit more in different packages. My guess is that they have a role in mind for him.

50. mswravens says: Apr 28, 2012 4:34 PM

@Deb – all class as usual! That was a cheap shot on my part. Thanks for not responding in kind! :) We all know the Steelers aren’t stupid. They have some plan for this kid. I just think it’s hilarious how the talking heads just fawn all over whatever the Steelers do – and the Ravens as well…I’m not exactly overwhelmed by our picks – when they don’t really know their stuff…

Which brings me back to you @Osgood. Again – some remedial education would serve you well. Kiper watches tape and makes his own evaluations. So does Tim Kirwan. John Clayton does not. Very few of the analysts you are watching on NFL Network & ESPN do their own evaluations. That’s the difference. That’s the point I’m making…even if it’s lost in e vast recesses of your mind. Not all talking heads are the same…sheesh!

…and I’m sorry, but I just don’t see how the Steelers are having such an awesome draft. Decastro is a great pick. Adams is a question mark. Spence doesn’t seem to be a good pick, but who knows. I like the Sproles type guy you “stole.” Steelers always make good use of guys like that…I still see Steelers as a team on the decline. But who knows. Go back & look at your last 7 drafts. Disregard the last 2 because the jury is still out on those. The 5 before that are hardly anything to brag about. For a smash mouth defense oriented team you’ve done a great job finding wide receivers!

51. mswravens says: Apr 28, 2012 4:36 PM

…Pat Kirwan, not Tim.

@Deb – that’s Sirius NFL radio…not NFL Network.

52. Deb says: Apr 28, 2012 6:28 PM

@mswravens …
    :D If there’s one guy out there I’d trust as much as Colbert, it’s Ozzie. The only fly in my draft is that all three of our division rivals have taken guys from my Crimson Tide. Saban has all of them ready to start. Courtney Upshaw was not happy about falling into the second round–that will be good for your Ravens. He’ll work hard for you. Dre Kirkpatrick is a great addition for the Bengals secondary. And Trent going to the Browns is scary. This guy is murder on run defenses. Unbelievably powerful back with tremendous heart. I think the whole division has had a pretty good draft.

53. mswravens says: Apr 28, 2012 9:37 PM

@Deb – no doubt, those Bama boys are monsters. I wanted Hightower soooooo badly. Then again, I didn’t expect Upshaw to be there at 29, let alone 35!

I really like your pick of Ta’ama. I’m not thrilled about any of our picks other than Upshaw…but if they play as advertised I’ll be thrilled. Bengals did very well. Trent is a beast, but Browns don’t concern me. They still don’t have a good QB or receiving corps. But, as we learned here in 2000…strong D & runni game can take you far. Their D is good, but it ain’t THAT good!

54. doe22us says: Apr 28, 2012 9:53 PM

Likelihood that dude will light it up, and be suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy are incredibly high.

55. jfd117 says: May 9, 2012 8:58 AM

DeCastro + Adams + Bighead Ben = Overrated + 50 times sacked + 7-9 record.