Vikings get what they wanted: Full votes in House and Senate

Getty Images

After the Vikings stadium bill died in the Minnesota Legislature, the NFL mobilized, urging the politicians to at least subject the measure to a vote before the House and the Senate.

The team and the league will get what they wanted, even if it means that the full votes result in no new stadium for the Vikings.

The Associated Press reports that the bill, already poised for a vote on the House floor, emerged from the Senate Tax Committee late Friday night by a vote of 7-6, after a contentious hearing.

The stadium bill is now expected to face “marathon” sessions and close votes in the House and Senate before the legislative session ends at midnight on Monday.

This one could still go either way.  We’ll have a final answer within the next two days.

50 responses to “Vikings get what they wanted: Full votes in House and Senate

1. Boy if there is one thing I could absolutely care less about it’s the tired coverage of this Vikings stadium situation. Please stop wasting digital space on this.

2. Well first here’s hoping the Vikes stay in Minnesota. Second, if not, then don’t waste the tiem going to LA. Unlike the NBA which can rig the games to make the Lakers win and thus be succesful, the NFL can’t and we all know the fans out there are the biggest bandwagoners, and that if that team doesn’t win a SB in 10 years they’ll be moving again.

3. Only in Minnesota could you have a yes vote in both houses but still not get a stadium. UNBELIEVABLE !

4. We all know both the house & senate will vote no. It’s an election year, there is no way they’ll approve this when they know they’ll get voted out for approving it. As a Wisconsin resident stuck with Minneapolis TV stations, I’ll be happy when they leave so I won’t need to spend $350 to watch all Packer games.

5. calvikefan, the stadium received yes votes in committees, not the full house or senate. No one from California should criticize the way other states practice politics.

6. The consequences were made clear last week when the commish and Rooney visited. They didn’t give a direct threat but their actions and implied threats were enough, if the bill fails Monday the Vikes will file for relocation and occupy the colosseum starting in 2013 until the LA stadium completes.

7. Wow… lots of ingnorance in these comments. And pack13queens0, if you don’t want to pay, then move back to Hickville, WI. You’ll feel more comfortable around all your white redneck racist Packer fans.

8. If they vote No, where should the Vikes move to? Everyone keeps saying that LA doesn’t deserve a team, but what other city is a viable option? San Antonio? Vegas (as if the NFL would allow that)?? Toronto??

9. Keep your fingers crossed Minnesotans and Vikings fans….it’s fourth down at the one yard line. Can our politicians huddle up and call a great play and pound that rock into the end zone?? I don’t even want to think of the alternative. Go Vikes…..we love you!!!!!!

10. I understand both sides of the argument here. The Vikings feel left out since the Twins and Gophers got new stadiums but at the same time, we’re in a recession in an election year so I’d be skeptical of spending hundreds of millions of dollars of state money to build a football stadium. That said, it would be a shame to see the Vikings leave Minnesota, even though I believe LA should have a team or two. I hope for the sake of Vikings fans and really football fans in general that cooler heads can come to some sort of arrangement that can keep the Vikings in Minnesota but not cripple the state’s budget.

11. Still trying to figure out how they can skirt the law/statue that says a public vote is required for any stadium thats gets an over 10 mil handout.

12. @steelfan66 For not wanting to hear about it u sure took the time to write about it. don’t read the story if u r not concerned about it. We Viking fans r passionate about our football sorry we don’t have 8 or 9 football teams in Minnesota like Pennsylvania so keep your mouth closed.

13. @steelerfan66

When I don’t care about something, I have a very good way to deal with it. I ignore it. Give a try.

14. Hang in there Vike’s fans, it looks like it’s almost over.
    I hope you get to keep your team.

15. thingamajig says: Apr 28, 2012 3:10 PM

——————————————–
    Well, we didn’t get to vote on Obama’s multi billion dollar handouts either. Some of those didn’t turn out near as well as the stadium will. (We’re looking at you Solyndra!)

16. Surely you mean “two” teams in PA. Both of which are far superior to the Vikings btw. I have restrained myself for several months in regard to these stadium articles but after number 1,000,000 I simply had to comment. Congress has more important things to do like restricting internet freedom and restraining civil liberties.

17. The stadium issue will get done this week. If I have observed one trait about the MN Legislature is that if there is any more time left to negotiate, the deal won’t get done. If the time is up and it’s time to drag their feet across the finish line, they’ll do it. They are all still clamoring to add and take little pieces to the legislation. They’ll use every ounce of leverage and every possible moment to stretch it out. It will get done though.

18. pack13queens0 says:Apr 28, 2012 2:47 PM

——————————————–
    You’re a “wisconsin resident watching mpls tv stations”….. don’t they have tv stations in wisconsin?? do you have tv’s ? talk about redneck flyover country, . Maybe if you didn’t spend all your money on beer and phoney stock, you could afford a tv.

19. The trick is to stuff the billionaire full of taxpayer cash … and not take heat for it. So the politicians have to play out this comedy to make it look like the voters agree.

20. steelfan66 says: Apr 28, 2012 3:25 PM

————————————

Thanks for finally chiming in, you added valuable insight to the topic (sic).

Maybe you try taking a civics class so that you understand the different between and a state senate and house vs. the federal senate and house.

It’s moron like you that create the need for civil liberties to be restained….

21. I think they should put a toll booth on the MN Wis. border westbound lane. Use that money to fund the stadium. All the Packer fans who commute to minneapolis for work would pay for the stadium. Genius

22. So let me get this straight, PFT moderators….

It is perfectly acceptable for a person to refer to an entire state as gender benders, but not okay to turn it back on the person who said it? what exactly are your criteria for deleting comments? Is it really the PFT policy to protect the most frequent and obnoxious posters? Should I become more juvenile and idiotic if I want my posts to get through?

23. We can go together! There you can learn to type and communicate like an adult. I’m thinking community college though.

24. Nope, steelrfan is as ignorant as they come. He doesn’t know that every state has it’s own senate and house of reps. He thinks the congress in Washington DC is considering the fate of the Vikings. Civics class wont help. People this ignorant should just stay out of the conversation.

25. steelfan66 says:
    Apr 28, 2012 2:32 PM
    __________________________

So because you don’t care, that means they should stop covering it? I’m glad PFT can cater to the interests of one user so well!

Also, it’s couldn’t care less, not could you moron.

26. What’s pathetic ? It’s a fan of football in general, that would actually support, or enjoy to see a historic franchise to move? I am a fan of the Vikings, but am a football fan to the core. It would pain me to see the Chiefs or the Bills move from their respective cities as much as my beloved Vikings! Fun, harmless chatter amongst games and players are one thing, but to root against a franchise is plain ignorant!
    skol

27. Hold tight Minnesota Legislature. There is no public financing is available in LA. This is not like the Colts leaving Baltimore. You know Wilf has invested heavily in property around the future site outside Minneapolis. Call his bluff. Public financing of rich guys needs to end.

28. bucrightoff says:
    Apr 28, 2012 2:35 PM
    ————————————————————————-

You must have not have watched superbowl XL?

29. There need to be a better option in the Future when it comes to Financing new Stadiums. I would hate to see another team go threw all this drama.

Maybe the NFL or Teams need to set up some type of savings fund for each city on top of the modified G4.

According to the NFL its competition which is why LA is always brought up. Then you have the Commissioner stating he does not want teams relocating.

When this deal gets done in Minnesota the Senators want to have the Stadium Authorities handle all future financing which makes a lot of sense. Got a 30 year lease and your Sports authority needs to allocate a funding mechanism for the future stadiums instead of going to the senate and house Legislatures.
    Anyways I hope the Vikings & their fans get this madness over with and get their new stadium.

30. steelfan66 says:
    Apr 28, 2012 3:25 PM

—-

It’s not CONGRESS deciding this, you blithering idiot, it’s the Minnesota state legislature… Way to represent the average IQ of a “Stiller” fan…

31. All is not lost!!! Caleb King arrested for assault!!! The winter sports of Minnesota – Assault & Battery.

32. pack13queens0 says: Apr 28, 2012 2:47 PM

———————-

I’m suprised you can afford $350 being that you live in you moms basement. I know it takes away from your blow up girlfriend collection but it’s all for the best. Now go graze your sister!

33. Gee, which way did I vote? Someone in the Senate / House please tell me! I can’t make up my mind , ‘specially with accountability and someone looking at how I voted. Ya you betca, my term is up and I need to get back on the DFL tit, dang it yooo betcha hey!

34. squared80 says:
    Apr 28, 2012 3:02 PM

Speaking of ignorant.

35. I am SO SICK of our legislature!! We have been kicking this deal into the next session for 10 years!! I don’t care if you vote yes or no (although I hope you vote yes), but please have some kahoonas and take a stand!! This lack of courage to vote either way on this sucks! It takes the commish to jet out here and politely say “it’s time to ___ or get off the pot before you FINALLY get a clue! If this team leaves, don’t expect to get another one. Of the 4 major teams in this state, the Vikes are the most followed and watched!

36. thejuddstir says: Apr 28, 2012 3:37 PM

Now that’s quite ignorant there. I have a TV & have DirecTV as well with NFL Sunday Ticket. It’s not my fault DirecTV gives me Minneapolis stations instead of a Wisconsin city. Seems like sometimes those Minneapolis stations would rather show no game at all instead of a Packers game too.