Bears feel good about undrafted free agent James Brown

Senior Bowl Football AP

Viewers of ESPN’s NFL draft coverage heard a lot about Troy offensive lineman James Brown on Saturday. Mel Kiper ranked Brown as the No. 54 player in the draft and spent much of the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh rounds calling him one of the best players still available. But NFL teams obviously disagreed, because even after 253 names were called, Brown remained undrafted.

If Kiper is right, the Bears got the best undrafted free agent available: They announced that they signed Brown after the draft.

Brown started 38 games at left tackle for Troy, but many observers of his performance at the Senior Bowl and Scouting Combine came away thinking he lacks the quickness to deal with NFL pass rushers and translates better to guard at the next level. He’s a project, but he’s a project that the Bears have to feel good about getting without having to spend a draft pick on him.

The Bears also agreed to terms with these undrafted free agents: Alvester Alexander, RB, Wyoming; Ronnie Cameron, DT, Old Dominion; Adrien Cole, LB, Louisiana Tech; Trevor Coston, S, Maine; Terriun Crump, WR, Western Illinois; Britton Golden, WR, West Texas A&M; A.J. Greene, T, Albany; Jeremy Jones, S, Wayne State; Chris Summers, WR, Liberty; Ronnie Thornton, LB, Southern Miss.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Bears feel good about undrafted free agent James Brown”
  1. i10east says: Apr 29, 2012 9:05 AM

Are the teams who didn’t draft him ‘gonna pay’ too? I guess that is gonna be ‘The Big Payback’.

2. raiderinva says: Apr 29, 2012 9:07 AM

I am not a betting man, but I am willing to gamble that Mel Kiper and James Brown have the same agent …..

Just saying….

3. cleverbob says: Apr 29, 2012 9:17 AM

Mel Kiper is a clown. Someone needs to review all his player ratings for the past 5-10 years to check his credibility.

4. jackblackshairyback says: Apr 29, 2012 9:24 AM

Hopefully it’s not too hot in the hot tub.

5. beerbratscheese says: Apr 29, 2012 9:24 AM

I hope they feel good about him, as they don’t have much reason to feel good about the players they actually drafted.

6. essentialsausage says: Apr 29, 2012 9:25 AM

When reached for comment, James Brown was quoted as saying, “I feel good!”

7. rajbais says: Apr 29, 2012 9:27 AM

“Mel Kiper ranked Brown as the No. 54 player in the draft and spent much of the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh rounds calling him one of the best players still available.”

I cannot believe PFT gave credence to a guy who’s not that good at his job!!!!

All Kiper does is drink too much coffee, regurgitate crap that he heard from football people that were good to golf and drink beer with, and people are literally that dumb to fall for his crap!!!!

People have always been stupid, but every generation has a new kind of stupid!!!! Trust me because if this wasn’t true no one would have thought that the earth was flat!!!!

8. joetoronto says: Apr 29, 2012 9:27 AM

Upon being drafted, James brown said “I feel good!”

9. jimmysee says: Apr 29, 2012 9:28 AM

If they felt “so good” about him, why didn’t they draft him!?

10. mythdud says: Apr 29, 2012 9:31 AM

I just don’t get why he dropped so far. Every draft site rates him between the 2nd and 4th round? He projects to be a pretty good guard and/or a possible tackle. But if the Bears really believed in this guy, they would have drafted him…

11. raiderinva says: Apr 29, 2012 9:47 AM

essentialsausage says: Apr 29, 2012 9:25 AM

When reached for comment, James Brown was quoted as saying, “I feel good!”

————————————————

At least he didn’t bludgeon the guy and put him in the hospital requiring 50 stitches and causing possible brain damage.

12. ericnancewoehler says: Apr 29, 2012 9:56 AM

Regardless of the quality or sources of his information, I think Mel Kiper Jr. is at least as responsible as anyone for draft weekend turning into such a great offseason party for plain, old fans like me with just garden-variety football understanding. His passion for his hobby and outsider status gave ESPN a differentiator to trade on in its early draft broadcasts, and, as a viewer, I still connect with him more closely than anyone else on any of the different network panels. I like listening to many of the other commentators, but, too often, they slip into insy language and arguments that kind of loses me.

13. daaabears says: Apr 29, 2012 10:07 AM

I hope he makes Bears fans feel good during the season.

14. packerman1968 says: Apr 29, 2012 10:44 AM

Kiper is kinda like the weatherman, he has a lot to say.

But in the end he is usually wrong.

I love the look in his eyes when the draft does not go the way HE wants it to( when a player is drafted in a spot he did not predict.). Which for the most part is every year.

I love when he says a team reached for a player, and he questions a coach. I would love to ask him how many SB rings he has. Since he thinks he knows more the coaches and GM’s do .

15. lennydpocketqb says: Apr 29, 2012 11:16 AM

rajbais says:

———————————————————————————–

WHAT IS WRONG WITH COFFEE?

16. billhicks666 says: Apr 29, 2012 11:45 AM

The Bears should feel good about getting James Brown. The guy has serious ability – I honestly can’t believe that all 32 teams passed on this guy in the draft. I was hoping the Texans would nab him, but instead they take Brandon Brooks, a guy who doesn’t even fit their zone-blocking scheme. Geez, man, it was like the Texans weren’t even trying most of the draft. I’m very disappointed, to say the least. Can ya tell?

17. fcs34 says: Apr 29, 2012 12:52 PM

Papa’s got a brand new contract.

18. bleedgreen33 says: Apr 29, 2012 2:53 PM

The Bears did really good by drafting Alshon Jeffery. As a South Carolina fan and alumni, I was surprised to see him slip. He is an absolute monster.

19. vikescry1 says: Apr 29, 2012 3:11 PM

TT in greenbay seems to be good and he didn’t draft him so that tells me theres a reason why. bears have been feeling good about everything lately, maybe they’ll be feeling good about there turf soon?

20. beeronthefridge says: Apr 29, 2012 3:43 PM

You can’t go wrong when you sign the king of soul.

21. lilmiddle78 says: Apr 29, 2012 3:47 PM

Now that the top draft picks are no longer going to equal huge pay days for these rookies, it likely means that we’ll see lots of draft day trades like this weekend.. As annoying as some of these guys are with their endless mock drafts, I hope the never ending trades don’t kill the whole mock draft scene! It really is fun to see who they think your team will select & compare their opinions with your own! We all go into daft day hoping that our team will choose the guy we’ve been watching or hoping for, and we all hope that our teams will find diamonds in the rough (i.e. bears take S Brandon Hardin in the 5th round, gonna be a stud Saftey soon enough!!)!!

Kiper is pretty annoying but I’m afraid Mayock is catching up to him on the agitator scale!!

GO BEARS!!!

22. majikwen says: Apr 30, 2012 8:30 AM

kipers grades are based on value, the bears could have traded down 9 or 10 picks in the 1st round and still have gotten Mclellin. the packers or cheattriots were not thinking the bears would draft him, cus he doesn’t fit the lovie defense. he fits olb in a 3-4.