Vontaze Burfict: I’m a first, second-round pick, Bengals got a steal

Vontaze Burfict AP

Vontaze Burfict said after signing as an undrafted free agent with the Bengals that his new team just got one of the steals of the draft, because he has the talent of a first or second-round pick, and Cincinnati didn’t even have to spend a pick on him at all.

“I know that I’m a first, second-round pick and the Bengals got a steal in the draft because nobody drafted me,” Burfict told the Arizona State Press.

There was a time when Burfict was widely viewed as a first- or second-round pick, but that was before his 2011 season, when he regressed as a player and picked up far too many personal foul players. And it was way before his terrible Scouting Combine and Pro Day performances. All 32 teams decided over and over again that they didn’t think he was worth any draft pick at all.

Burfict said he likes Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis and is excited about playing for him, and he also said he’s excited to play alongside Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga.

“I’m going to go in the first week and take notes of what he’s doing,” Burfict said of Maualuga. “I’m going to perfect my style of football. Hopefully, I’m either playing beside him, backing up or I’m starting. Either way, I’m happy to be on the team.”

Burfict will need to look a lot better in training camp than he has in the last year if he expects to be on the team in September.

Permalink 78 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
78 Responses to “Vontaze Burfict: I’m a first, second-round pick, Bengals got a steal”
  1. bigdaddybullwhip says: Apr 29, 2012 7:24 AM

Best draft in Bengals history. Thanks Carson, see you at PBS in November.

2. descendency says: Apr 29, 2012 7:24 AM

That’s because a lot of the Bengals know quite a bit about stealing.

3. nspatriot says: Apr 29, 2012 7:27 AM

Let your body of work prove itself of the field. Don’t start with a target on your back. Talk is cheap.

4. chiadam says: Apr 29, 2012 7:32 AM

Lock Up: Cincinnati.

5. hugejazz says: Apr 29, 2012 7:35 AM

Train wreck a-comin’.

6. hoosierdaddy1972 says: Apr 29, 2012 7:36 AM

Coach Zimmer will get the most out of this kid and he’ll be on the roster. Coaching kids that have question marks but plenty of potential is what he does best. See Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson.

7. silverdeer says: Apr 29, 2012 7:37 AM

Something tells me that he just doesn’t get it.

8. tv426 says: Apr 29, 2012 7:40 AM

OMG why am I not shocked that the Bungles signed the biggest head case out there?
    LMAO

9. petehemlock says: Apr 29, 2012 7:43 AM

Rey Maualuga to Marvin Lewis: Don’t ‘Taze me, Bro.

10. hoosierdaddy1972 says: Apr 29, 2012 7:45 AM

LMAO

Zero risk. All reward. They got a potential 1-2nd round pick that if he gets his act together, he’ll be the steal of the draft.

11. joetoronto says: Apr 29, 2012 7:45 AM

Wow, he looks up to Rey Maualuga.

The Bungals are a complete joke.

12. arkadyrenko says: Apr 29, 2012 7:50 AM

“I know that I’m a first, second-round pick….”

No, you’re not. Why? Because, you know, you weren’t picked in the first or second round.

13. chatham10 says: Apr 29, 2012 7:52 AM

I would use the old phrase ” nobody knows you are dumb unless you open your mouth and remove all doubt”. I would recommend he works hard and keep his mouth shut.

14. pftsc says: Apr 29, 2012 7:52 AM

love the reactionaries that scream bungals and convicts, why don’t you say the same about the pats for taking dennard? or the steelers taking rainey and adams?

15. raiderstotheship says: Apr 29, 2012 7:53 AM

Raiders had a better draft with five pics lol

16. electionconfidential says: Apr 29, 2012 7:55 AM

Cincinnati just doesn’t seem like the kind of town that would hire so many miscreants. I expect that out of Philly, but damn…

17. Steeler's Will says: Apr 29, 2012 8:00 AM

Hope he works out. If not he’s easy to dump.

18. latenightroach says: Apr 29, 2012 8:01 AM

I can already see it. In a year or two he’ll probably be a Pat or a Jet before he finally gets canned for good.

19. cup1981 says: Apr 29, 2012 8:05 AM

Pop the popcorn, guys, cause this is gonna be a funny training camp for the Bungles!

20. lakedog19352 says: Apr 29, 2012 8:14 AM

Ummm…….yeah, no.

21. canetic says: Apr 29, 2012 8:14 AM

He should demand first or second round money. And then he’ll see how valuable he is.

22. kegowhisky says: Apr 29, 2012 8:15 AM

I always give people the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. Burfict did just that. Better warm up the PFT Police Blotter!

23. thepancreas says: Apr 29, 2012 8:20 AM

I’m shocked the Bengals didn’t draft him in the second round.

Kirkpatrick is another head case.

Some dreams draft well, and others are—The Bengals.

24. waltdawg says: Apr 29, 2012 8:22 AM

I wish the SKINS could have taken a risk on this guy…..I think our draft, besides RG3 was a total waste of time…Who in the hell are the guys we picked? No names…..

25. slingingsh1t says: Apr 29, 2012 8:23 AM

He needs to think and act like an UFA. He’s not a 1st or 2nd rnd draft choice. Shutup and start working at your craft instead of continuing your media campaign. My bet is he is pouting after mini-camp because he’s not starting and is being asked to play special teams.

26. dawsonleery says: Apr 29, 2012 8:23 AM

Bengals have a nice looking team… for the sequel for the Longest Yard.

27. philvil41 says: Apr 29, 2012 8:25 AM

Big mouth loser will be out of the league in 2 years tops.Then he’ll either be in jail or sucking the taxpayers money from the welfare rolls.

28. LoCoSu@%s says: Apr 29, 2012 8:25 AM

I am glad the Bengals picked him up and gave him a second chance.
    I can also understand the confidence behind the statement that he is a 1/2 round talent.
    However, the Bengals PR and coaching staff had better advise him how to present himself to the media.
    Work hard and stay out of trouble and your pre-draft troubles will be forgotten.

29. cryptker says: Apr 29, 2012 8:46 AM

If you were a first or secound round pick that`s where you would have been picked!

30. prmpft says: Apr 29, 2012 8:59 AM

…and pacman just got a new sidekick…

31. petehemlock says: Apr 29, 2012 9:05 AM

Hard Knocks to the CO

32. mike83ri says: Apr 29, 2012 9:13 AM

He knows that the Bengals didn’t draft him either, right?

33. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Apr 29, 2012 9:14 AM

Haters gonna hate. 3 playoff appearances in 7 seasons for the Bengals….in the toughest division in football. Top 10 defense. Dalton, AJ Green and Law Firm on offense. Another great draft. Lots to be happy about here in Cincy.

34. realnflmaster says: Apr 29, 2012 9:15 AM

What is with all these idiot fans who crucify players and coaches and talk confidently about their abilities?

Are you that big failures in life that you hate people who have confidence? You want people to walk around with their heads down and hands in their pockets all day? I hope you don’t have kids one day.

35. GG Eden says: Apr 29, 2012 9:18 AM

I like the acquisition. It’s a no-risk situation for the Bengals…..until Vontaze starts causing lockeroom problems and/or beating up his teammates when his hot-head flashes.

36. blindmansaidwhat says: Apr 29, 2012 9:46 AM

Bengals had a nice draft but this was a BAD move, Lewis needs to be happy with the players drafted, instead he tried to get cute. Burfict’s coaches said he is a “me first” player more worried about making a big play than follow his assignment…he was “a lockerroom cancer…”

Just when they seemed to get rid of the circus they bring it right back to town. This is a very young team that hasn’t developed strong leadership quite yet…this guy CAN do a lot more harm than good. Not worth the trouble…even as a free agent.

37. londonbengal says: Apr 29, 2012 9:46 AM

Right now The Bengals are looking real dumb for entertaining this kid, but if Burfict works out well for the Bengals, 31 other teams are going to look real dumb.

Low risk, high reward. Worth a shot IMO.

38. despinosa8 says: Apr 29, 2012 10:05 AM

How long will it take before this knuckle head shows up in the blotter section?

39. kingfish4242 says: Apr 29, 2012 10:13 AM

realnflmaster says:
    Apr 29, 2012 9:15 AM

================================

Good points,but at the same time it’s pretty safe to say at this time Burfict bought his problems on himself. If you desire to play in the NFL it’s not a good idea to smoke weed and dine on Macdonalds before the biggest job interview in your life. Something tells me Burfict is taking some very bad advice from the circle of friends he’s associating himself with now. Those types of “friends” also tend to disappear around the same time the money stops rolling in.

40. cincyhokie says: Apr 29, 2012 10:23 AM

You all realize you can cut free agents, right? You also realize that some team was going to sign Burfict, right?

You do realize that Pittsburgh drafted “2 bad character guys” and New England just drafted a guy that punched a cop. Crickets.

41. joetoronto says: Apr 29, 2012 10:27 AM

Other than possibly tearing the locker room apart, ya, low risk.

42. mrguygadbois says: Apr 29, 2012 10:31 AM

Vontaze, obviously you’re not a first or second round pick. You’re a fat, slow degenerate with anger issues. Perfect fit in Cincy.

43. samoanjungle says: Apr 29, 2012 10:32 AM

I’m sure he will grow up a lot in training camp.
    No need to pass judgement until we see him in the preseason games.

44. bingocostello says: Apr 29, 2012 10:39 AM

and a genius too!

45. whodeytn says: Apr 29, 2012 10:47 AM

I’m shocked the Bengals didn’t draft him in the second round.

Kirkpatrick is another head case.

Some dreams draft well, and others are—The Bengals.
    ======

Bengals had an “A” draft. If you can’t see that you should be wearing a bike helmet all day.

46. busamboy says: Apr 29, 2012 10:52 AM

As a Bengals fan, I hope the negative press keeps coming. Anybody with half of a brain could turn this stuff around and use this whole thing as motivation. I, like others, love this pick-up. I am going to love having the new Ray Lewis on this team. As much as I hate Ray, I love him as a football player because I respect him. Vontaze, I think you could be that good, just use this all as motivation. Reach out to some players like Ray who have had some days that were their darkest hour and tear this league apart!! You are one more strike away from starting my friend, little Rey could have one more incident and you could become the go to guy.

47. steelfan66 says: Apr 29, 2012 10:52 AM

Admittedly, I really wanted the Steelers to take a chance on him. When I saw that the Bungles drafted him I couldn’t help but wish Hines Ward would come back for at least one more game just to give a repeat performance of his Bungles rookie LB treatment.

48. perennialsinn21 says: Apr 29, 2012 11:02 AM

Here’s my thing why don’t you losers on here worry about your team and who your team drafted instead of sitting here trolling trying to knock what another team did repoasting something someone else poasted i mean do you not have a life who cares who the Bengals drafted but Bengals fans call them bungals or what every but guess what at the end of the day these guys are in the NFL and your still living in your mothers basement.

49. djigel says: Apr 29, 2012 11:06 AM

Love the signing. No risk, good upside. My biggest concern, however, is that he is already looking up to Ray Maualuga – this is not my definition of a role model.

50. mungman69 says: Apr 29, 2012 11:11 AM

Stay away

51. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Apr 29, 2012 11:12 AM

I’d be willing to bet that 70% of the hate comments on here are from fans that are mad they didn’t land Burfict. He has the most upside of any UFA.

52. mcqphx says: Apr 29, 2012 11:18 AM

Let’s talk again in 3 years pal.

53. nashwaakkidd says: Apr 29, 2012 11:33 AM

making statemennts like that, he has a great future as a scout/talent evaluator ………..not.there’s a reason ALL nfl teams passed on you , you can talk all you want but your actions speak louder than words. stay out of trouble and prove your worth, then you are a steal as an FA

54. radrntn says: Apr 29, 2012 11:33 AM

personally I think the bengals had one of the best draft classes for this year. I got pissed when you picked the safety from Boise State , when we had the following pick. Good job yesterday, and thanks for Carson…he is our best QB since Gannon.

It was a win/win for both of us

55. slickster35 says: Apr 29, 2012 11:34 AM

Cincy is building a great roster (with much help from the worst/best trade in history, lol@faiders). I’m just not sure they can take the next step with Marvin in charge. Just my opinion.

56. thetooloftools says: Apr 29, 2012 11:42 AM

He’s really one reckless night away from prison and he better get that through his head. The fact that not ONE team even really wanted him in there locker room via the draft tells me all I need to know. Save your chest thumping for after you do something on the field there Berf Up.

57. rickybobbie says: Apr 29, 2012 11:43 AM

Good signing! Low risk, possible high upside!

The “Bungal” comments are old, there are many other teams who would have taken the same chance, low risk, possible high upside.

Give him a chance and see what he does with it.

58. Tarkus says: Apr 29, 2012 11:44 AM

59. nflscouting says: Apr 29, 2012 11:44 AM

To Mr. Burfict, Could you PLEASE shut your pie-hole? You blew it, blamed everyone else but yourself for your problems & got what you deserved. Your act has become boring even before it started. you’ll be on the unemployment line shortly & I bet anyone the next time we read about you, you are showing up on the waiver wires. Grow up, shut up & put up. No one really cares what you have to say except the media needing to fill space. First or second round my butt, you are not even worth the free agent contract paper you signed.

60. vincentvega513 says: Apr 29, 2012 11:45 AM

At worst case, he’ll be Ahmad Brooks (who is a starter on the 49ers). Off the field issues but drafted by Cincinnati in the Supplemental draft..

At best case he’ll be a sideline to sideline monster like Ray Lewis.

The Bengals already had a top 10 D, then drafted Dre Kirkpatrick, Devon Still & Brandon Thompson.

61. oldassgoat says: Apr 29, 2012 11:48 AM

Ummm, no, you are an UDFA. Your big mouth and antics this past year destroyed your chances of being a 1st or 2nd round pick.

62. cincybert says: Apr 29, 2012 11:52 AM

The Patriots used a 6th round pick on a guy who was rugby player who nobody was going to draft and its a genius move. Then the Pats take a guy who punched a cop a week before the draft, and its a “great value” pick. The Bengals take zero risk on a guy who has 1st round talent by signing him as an UFA and its ripped? Could there possibly be a double standard here? And speaking of the Patriots and their brilliance, thanks again to Belichick for the draft pick he sent the Bengals for Ocho, nice trade.

63. pftsc says: Apr 29, 2012 12:15 PM

“For all the people who say there is no risk with this guy, why did 32 teams, including the Bengals, not even spend so much as a 7th round pick on him?”

———–

1) this happens, those players are signed after the draft and are called UDFA’s

2) all the teams sign udfa’s, loads of them

3) burfict cost cincy 0 draft picks. hence people saying its zero risk if we cut the head case quickly.

64. friendlylittletrees says: Apr 29, 2012 12:15 PM

The only steal is that every other team DIDN’T grab you. The half-way house that is the Bungles continues to go after possible talent while throwing aside any intelligent business sense of hiring decent people.

@cincybert – The last I saw, Ochocinco was playing in a Super Bowl last year.

65. CKL says: Apr 29, 2012 12:30 PM

@ cincy, was going to defend your team…but not sure I want to after your little rail against mine. :D
    I like Chad but yes right now that trade looks pretty lopsided regardless of compensation. Time will tell.

I’m honestly more surprised the Steelers drafted a “character issue” guy than that my team did it. I’ve never thought BB cared much about that whole thing other than if it affects the team somehow (guy could be suspended, did something that makes him a bad teammate, etc). That character thing is a Kraft family thing. I am willing to bet BB has to run all those iffy guys past Mr. Kraft.

Steelers let the Adams kid plead his case and were convinced. It’s a little more risky only because it’s a higher pick. In the case of Dennard, there is a scout on the Pats who is from Nebraska (Licht) and I’m betting they had a really really thorough vetting of his issues. That one is one where you might not have the player at all if those charges are proven so you’d best not waste a high pick on the guy. The Pats didn’t and the Bengals didn’t, so it’s low risk, high reward potential.

66. stevenfbrackett says: Apr 29, 2012 1:26 PM

Let’s hope he gets and ego-check before the season starts – and it could happen once he realizes just how hard and how fast even bad pro players work and hit.

67. beelicker says: Apr 29, 2012 1:52 PM

Tarkus says: For all the people who say there is no risk with this guy, why did 32 teams, including the Bengals, not even spend so much as a 7th round pick on him? <<<

As for the Bengals' 2012 7th rounder, they traded it to SF back during training camp for S Taylor Mays ….

68. voyager6 says: Apr 29, 2012 2:02 PM

Modest, ain’t he?

69. mattysold says: Apr 29, 2012 4:30 PM

I’m not sure if you people noticed or not… But, the Bengals could use some aggressive on defense. Football is all about controlled rage… Ray Lewis’s defensive coach was Marvin Lewis. If he can get in this kids head… Could be a steal. Who-Dey!

70. randallflagg52 says: Apr 29, 2012 5:14 PM

mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says:
    Apr 29, 2012 9:14 AM

===================================

3 Playoff appearances in 7 season, and ZERO WINS! God you Bengal fans make it too easy…

Oh and don’t bring up Green Eliis as a playmaker. He is not. He is a marginal player at best who would be a backup on any other AFCN team. Also only bring AJ Green up once he has produced against your division rivals. What did he have like 25 yards aginst the Ravens this season? LOL Lardarius Webb > AJ Green.

71. blueggs says: Apr 29, 2012 6:01 PM

Don’t beat them up yet. They passed on Jenkins, they passed on the lineman Pittsburgh took, they passed on the”U”.
    They let Rucker go, jones is probably next, benson is gone, simpson is gone, and so are a bunch of the other blotter bengals. So I don’t see what the big deal is with this kid. It reminds me of Ahmad Brooks who had troubles coming out of UVA, Marvin worked with him, gave him a chance and even though it didn’t workout in cincy he’s doing well with the 49ers. Let’s see what happens I trust Marvin and zim.

72. fmwarner says: Apr 29, 2012 6:42 PM

Tarkus says: Apr 29, 2012 11:44 AM

===================================

Easy. If you use a draft pick on him, that means you’re passing up someone else. The risk is that if Burfict washes out, you’ve lost what another guy you might have drafted with that pick could have given you.

But when you sign UDFA, you’re not making a choice to select Burfict over someone else. You can sign as many as you want. There’s no risk because nothing of value was given up to obtain him.

73. backindasaddle says: Apr 29, 2012 7:43 PM

Cincy took a flyer on him… no risk. My gut tells me he’s a lazy turd with a big mouth. But, there is no risk in giving him a chance and if he proves he’s a bum they can dump him.

74. applecool1981 says: Apr 29, 2012 8:11 PM

He’s lucky to have a job; he just needs to shut up already.

75. diamondmo33 says: Apr 29, 2012 10:35 PM

If he works hard,and leaves the pot alone…

76. chadefdstg says: Apr 29, 2012 11:19 PM

I don’t buy the locker room cancer argument, he’s still a rookie, and I think between Peko and Whitworth that he’ll either behave or receive a “come to Jesus” moment. This is a VERY different locker room from 3 years ago. Not to mention that Coaches Zimmer and Lewis aren’t likely to take any crap. What I really like is that in his highlight videos he wraps up, and doesn’t appear to lead with the top of his helmet(unlike a certain Pitssburgh LB). Hope for the best prepare for the worst…..if he turns out to be a dirtbag, cut him and move on…I’m sure he’ll be Welcome in the Steel city at that point.

77. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Apr 30, 2012 4:45 AM

RandallFlagg52 says:

Please… this Bengals fan forgot more football than you know. Your just mad your stolen team has a losing record against your old D Coordinator here in Cincy. Marv is 10-8 against the Ravens, even after the sweep last year (and don’t expect that to happen again).

You say AJ only had 2 catches against Webb for the season, but AJ missed the other game against you guy, duh. Don’t expect that to happen again either. Dalton and Green will only get better in year 2. Lol @ you for saying Webb > AJ. You guys WISH you had AJ Green.

78. polapea says: May 1, 2012 7:13 AM

This guy is an idiot. No work ethic, no personal responsibility and plain stupid.
    -Shows up to the combine out of shape and slow. 5.09 40 and only 15 reps bench (pro day). #’s don’t mean everything but lineman slow and WR weak is not a good combo for an MLB.
    -Told teams his poor play was the coaches fault. Teams love to hear that. Whose fault were all the personal fouls?
    -Failed a drug test at the combine when there were already questions about him. Said “it’s not like I’m the only one that’s done that”. True but only an a-hole fails a drug test which you know about for a year+ when millions are on the line.

He may have been good in college (2 yrs ago) but I don’t see him making it out of camp. The game is so much faster at the NFL level and he doesn’t have the speed or the work ethic to succeed. Obviously he thinks he’s made all the changes he needs.

“The team that drafts me will see that my work ethic isn’t questionable at all. I realize how much I really want this for my life. If I could have changed anything when I was in college, I would have been eating healthier. Now, I’m eating fish, chicken, broccoli. My endurance is much better. I usually run a mile each morning.” Wow a whole mile.

And eating better is the only thing he’d change? Never mind getting benched, the personal fouls or punching a teammate.