Colts claim Deji Karim off waivers, announce undrafted free agents

Jacksonville Jaguars v New York Jets Getty Images

The Colts added a bunch of players to their roster on Monday.

The team announced that they claimed running back Deji Karim off of waivers from the Jaguars. Karim struggled as a running back behind Maurice Jones-Drew last season and was waived on Friday. He’s had more success as a kickoff returner.

Indianapolis also signed tight end Dominique Jones. Jones has played in the UFL and the Indoor Football League since leaving Division II Shepherd University.

The Colts also announced that they have signed 15 undrafted rookie free agents. They are Utah defensive end James Aiono, Morehouse defensive tackle Chigbo Anunoby, East Carolina offensive tackle Steven Baker, Maryland defensive back Cameron Chism, Endicott defensive end Kevin Eagan, Wisconsin defensive back Antonio Fenelus, Rhode Island guard Jason Foster, USC linebacker Chris Galippo, Florida State guard Hayworth Hicks, Pittsburgh defensive back Buddy Jackson, North Carolina safety Matt Merletti, Hampton safety Micah Pellerin, Montana wide receiver Jabin Sambrano, San Diego State punter Brian Stahovich and Stanford wide receiver Griff Whalen.

Whalen caught passes from Andrew Luck in college where one of the other targets was tight end Coby Fleener, the Colts’ second-round pick.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Colts claim Deji Karim off waivers, announce undrafted free agents”
  1. ajknox88 says: Apr 30, 2012 5:08 PM

I think Fleener was a reach in the 2nd.. Only time will tell though.

2. amg503 says: Apr 30, 2012 5:19 PM

Yeah, that San Diego State was a great receiver at Montana. I always thought he’d be NFL caliber.

3. cletusvandam says: Apr 30, 2012 5:41 PM

I guess the colts are going to run the always dangerous 1 QB 11 TE offense

4. kronix7 says: Apr 30, 2012 6:41 PM

You might think It’s a good idea if the Colts go on to win for another decade which is quite possible.

5. chazzmichaelmichaels says: Apr 30, 2012 7:45 PM

Nothing exciting enough to make me move to Indy and buy season tickets, but it’ll be interesting to see if Grigson has done his homework. I think people forget that Peyton was 3-13 his first year, they picked 4th in 1999 and picked up Edgerrin James. They’ll pick high again next year and expect to. Nothing wrong with that when your rebuilding.

6. billhicks666 says: Apr 30, 2012 8:47 PM

ajknox88 says:

“I think Fleener was a reach in the 2nd….”

What in the world would make you think that?? I’m a Texans fan and I’m seriously bummed that not only did we not draft him but you guys did! Fleener creates mismatches against any defense – he’s too big for safeties to cover and too fast for LBs. Be happy you got him — as a Texans fan, I’m certainly not!

7. papasmurf98 says: May 1, 2012 3:10 AM

Are you really saying this kid was a reach. He’s a monster TE with wide receiver speed, hits like a Fullback,and averaged like 14 yd per catch. He’s not a great blocker but really why would you have him block, he’s a mismatch for everyone out there in one way or the other.Look for the Colts offense to revolve around the playaction double TE formation.The offense can put Wayne out wide eldrige, Allen,at TE,and fleener in the slot .Run game will improve and extra insurance policy for a young quarterback. I love it go colts.

8. mortimeryoung says: May 1, 2012 2:22 PM

As a Jaguars fan, I’m happy to see this guy hit the bricks, and the fact that he’s going to a division rival is just gravy. A part of me really hopes he has beef with Daryl Smith or somebody.

9. kronix7 says: May 1, 2012 4:37 PM

As a jaguars fan? First off your a Jags fan. You had nothing really to root for, although I respect you for still being a Jags fan even after having a disapointing team for all those. As for the Colts rebuilding I think is a must because of how good the Texans have become. I’ve always thought the Texans would be contenders. That division just needs the Titans and the Jags to make this a solid division.

10. blancodiablo says: May 1, 2012 4:46 PM

As a Jaguars fan, I liked Deji. The change in the kickoff rule made him expendable since he really is an average back at best. Very fast in the open field, but finding the open field was his problem.

11. egetto says: May 2, 2012 9:45 PM

Kronix…..going to fun watching you arrogant colts fans look for somefhing to.root for tbe next 5 hrs. Karmas a be-atch