Joe Philbin won’t have much to do with Ryan Tannehill’s development

Ryan+Tannehill+2012+NFL+Draft+First+Round+h4KvhCKrldgl Getty Images

Now that the Dolphins have drafted Ryan Tannehill, a lot of people are expecting Joe Philbin to help turn him into the franchise quarterback that the Dolphins have been missing since Dan Marino retired.

That expectation comes from the fact that Philbin was in Green Bay while Aaron Rodgers became one of the best quarterbacks in football and Matt Flynn became a hot commodity despite starting just two games. Philbin, whose background was as an offensive line coach before moving up to offensive coordinator, is trying to dial things down on that front, though.

Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post reports that Philbin is backing away from credit for Rodgers’ ascension by giving it to Tom Clements, his replacement as offensive coordinator in Green Bay and the team’s former quarterbacks coach. According to Philbin, Tannehill is going to be almost exclusively in the hands of offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike Sherman and assistant quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor. Both of them worked with Tannehill at Texas A&M and that should help make for a smoother transition to the NFL.

“The position coach is the lifeblood of the football program here,” Philbin said. “I believed that when I was a position coach, I believed that when I was an offensive coordinator and I believe it as the head coach.”

Philbin’s honesty in deflecting credit for Rodgers and willingness to delegate speak well of his ability to interact with members of his staff. The end result of Tannehill’s progression is still going to determine how long Philbin is running the Dolphins, though.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Joe Philbin won’t have much to do with Ryan Tannehill’s development”
  1. xpensivewinos says: Apr 30, 2012 10:58 AM

In terms of comfort level with coaches, offensive scheme and overall familiarity, if Tannehill doesn’t make a successful transition from college to the pros with all of these stars aligned, it just wasn’t meant to be……….

2. abqpacker says: Apr 30, 2012 11:09 AM

Or maybe he doesn’t want to be blamed if the kid doesn’t work out.

3. bsizemore68 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:10 AM

I think Joe will be a very good head coach, I think his approach shows that he has what it takes for a good program to move the Dolphins to a higher level of success, only time will tell, it look like they are trying to give him the help to make the team a winner once again. Bill

4. bchapman2011 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:11 AM

I really like the way this guy carries himself. The way he deflects credit to his coaches and players will quickly win support in the locker room. If I am Miami I throw Tannehill out on the field this year. He has an inherent advantage over Moore and Gerard. He knows this system better than anybody. He needs to hit the ground running before Mike Sherman leaves Miami. I know he has not even coached a game yet but I wouldn’t plan on him being around past this year. Maybe two years max before he is a head coach again.

5. justphins says: Apr 30, 2012 11:12 AM

If Philbin didn’t call the plays or develop Rodgers or Flynn, what exactly did he do in Green Bay that justifies his being hired as Head Coach of the Dolphins?

6. ttommytom says: Apr 30, 2012 11:23 AM

Philbin speaks the truth with humility (no ego). Good for the Dolphins.

He remembers where he came from..

7. randomguy9999 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:24 AM

Moore is currently great and Garrard has been and probably will still be very good and Tannehill looks to be a potential franchise guy… this is the best QB depth chart in a long time…..

but having 3 capable QBs doesn’t mean squat if your offensive line is 30th in protecting the QB like last year..

literally the worst squad on the Dolphins by far…. and that’s saying something….

there’s all kinds of people claiming Long ‘is the best’ blah blah, but he sure wasn’t last year.

Either Long and his guys step up and start playing decently or the entire year is gonna be a bust right quick…..

8. realitypolice says: Apr 30, 2012 11:30 AM

justphins says:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:12 AM
    ======================

What he did was answer the phone and say he wanted the job. That made him uniquely qualified.

9. 8drinkminimum says: Apr 30, 2012 11:31 AM

Coach McCarthy called the plays but he always said that Philbin designed the scheme.

10. futilephish says: Apr 30, 2012 11:40 AM

He will only get credit for ” W’s”. If he loses, well I think we know how that story ends, because we have been reading the same book for 20 bleeping years.
    Atleast they drafted a qb….. How he pans out…. Time will tell.

11. 69finfan says: Apr 30, 2012 11:52 AM

randomguy9999.
    First, I wouldn’t say Matt Moore is great, he is adequate, but with a complete training camp and a full season under center he can only improve. Second, Jake Long has made the Pro Bowl all 4 years he has been in the NFL He is one of the best LT’s in the game, according to his peers. The right side of the OL is the weak link, thus they drafted Johnathan Martin, to play on the right side. IMO RT will be a very good QB for the Fins.

12. Max says: Apr 30, 2012 12:16 PM

Sounds like a backhanded way of saying Tannehill was not his choice!

13. cooklola2012 says: Apr 30, 2012 12:20 PM

what Jose explained I’m taken by surprise that people can profit $6555 in one month on the computer. did you read this web page (Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/uguKB

14. dukemarc says: Apr 30, 2012 12:47 PM

Fins fans better hope Sherman isn’t in charge of developing him either. His claim to fame for NFL QB developing were some of the most undisciplined years of Favre’s career – which is saying a lot.

15. greysolon says: Apr 30, 2012 12:49 PM

As a non-Dolphin fan, I say Philbin has been impressive from day one. His press conference showed why he is a leader of men and he continues to impress. I haven’t looked into it, but surely Dolphans must be getting on board with this guy by now?

16. theytukrjobs says: Apr 30, 2012 12:56 PM

So what would you say you do here, Joe?

17. kane337 says: Apr 30, 2012 1:18 PM

“theytukrjobs says:
    Apr 30, 2012 12:56 PM
    So what would you say you do here, Joe?

Well look, I already told you! I deal with the goddamn position coaches so the coordinators don’t have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! Can’t you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?”

LOL I love Office Space quotes.

18. uwsptke says: Apr 30, 2012 1:20 PM

I’ll just say this about Mike Sherman. From those who know what was going on during his tenure in GB, the best thing that ever happened to Aaron Rodgers was Mike Sherman getting fired.

19. 49erstim says: Apr 30, 2012 1:56 PM

@kane….. Sweet Office Space reference! I say that none of us should “jump to conclusions” about Philbin’s involvement with Tannehill

20. futilephish says: Apr 30, 2012 3:00 PM

Watch the espn gruden qb special with Tannehill, it’s pretty impressive. It was on at 8:30 est last night.
    We need him to do well. Leave the kid be…
    Remember what we were doing when we were 22…. ?

21. bakersm says: Apr 30, 2012 3:45 PM

I cringed everytime last week when I heard Joe Philbin called a quarterback guru. Offensive line guru yes, QB not so much. At least the guy knows his place. I understand he was an under the radar coaching hire but the talking heads talking him up to be some top notch QB coach goes to show how little they know about his background. Sherman is doing exactly what he should be doing in the NFL. Not a HC or GM but an offensive coordinator. I question his QB coaching skills also though, remember he was a TE coach in GB before Seattle.

22. teal379 says: Apr 30, 2012 6:00 PM

Fins fans should be worried.

Not because of Joe – Joe’s excellent but because of Sherman.

He got fired from Green Bay because he couldn’t evaluate, draft and develop talent. He lost his college coaching gig because he wasn’t a winner (usually because you can’t recruit and develop talent) and now you took his recommendation and are requiring him to develop your talent.

Not good.

23. beeronthefridge says: Apr 30, 2012 6:05 PM

It’s unbelievable that in the 21st century we still have morons that believe a coach has magic powers that will turn a bum into a Hall of Fame player.

If this was true, why do we have a draft and pay millions to a player when we can pick up any bum in a sandlot and make him a HOF qb?

24. phinfan says: Apr 30, 2012 6:20 PM

I’m keeping my hopes at a all-time low. I’ve been disappointed before

25. thedreamcomparison says: May 1, 2012 8:57 AM

Oh good, last time this kid worked with Sherman he lost 4 of his last 6 games

26. truthserum4u says: May 1, 2012 10:24 PM

I must have missed where Flynn became a hot commodity. Two teams interested; one a former coach who offered him very little to sign.