Packers’ Terrell Manning: I’m as good as any linebacker in the draft

Terrell Manning, J.R. Sweezy AP

Twenty-one linebackers were selected in the 2012 NFL draft before the Green Bay Packers took North Carolina State’s Terrell Manning in the fifth round. But Manning doesn’t think any of them are better than him.

I feel like I was as good as any linebacker in this draft,” Manning said. “I’m looking to prove that.”

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson wouldn’t go quite so far as to say that Manning is the best linebacker in the entire draft, but he did like Manning enough that he traded a sixth-round pick and two seventh-round picks to New England to get Manning with the 163rd overall pick (which originally belonged to the Packers, before they traded it to the Patriots).

“It was just a situation where we felt a player was being undervalued a little bit,” Thompson said. “We didn’t know how long he would be undervalued.”

One person who doesn’t undervalue Manning is Manning himself. We’ll see once he gets on the field if he can back up that high opinion he has of his own talent.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Packers’ Terrell Manning: I’m as good as any linebacker in the draft”
  1. cakemixa says: Apr 30, 2012 7:24 PM

These loudmouth rookies need to know their roles, and shut their mouths.

2. thraiderskin says: Apr 30, 2012 7:31 PM

We will see young man…

3. rooski443 says: Apr 30, 2012 7:34 PM

Ummmm….no you’re not

4. scoops1 says: Apr 30, 2012 7:36 PM

yessss….The pack needs another player with a chip on his shoulder

5. sonoco says: Apr 30, 2012 7:41 PM

FWIW, I know from watching the 49er war room cam that Baalke was not happy when he came off the board two picks ahead of their pick . . . which is probably why Thompson traded up. He wasn’t going to get past #165.

6. ShimSham says: Apr 30, 2012 7:42 PM

A young man with a great deal of confidence, it’ll probably be an ESPN headline.

7. blacknole08 says: Apr 30, 2012 7:50 PM

Who knows… he could be the next Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (Spelled it right on the first try). Or he could bust. Only time will tell.

8. pilot2011 says: Apr 30, 2012 7:50 PM

dj smith will be packers best linebacker

9. warrenmoon says: Apr 30, 2012 7:57 PM

All Mannings have big heads. Maybe he will grow into it?

10. emoney826 says: Apr 30, 2012 8:32 PM

Do you expect him or anyone to say anything different? If they think otherwise, they shouldn’t be playing. Besides, his ego will get put in check when he gets hit by a pro lineman or running back.

11. garyman1 says: Apr 30, 2012 8:34 PM

Terrell, I like your attitude….now go prove it.
    Talk is cheap !

12. ninerdynasty says: Apr 30, 2012 8:35 PM

i dont know how good this guy really is, but i know balkee got pissed off when the packers took him off the board.

13. woodyg says: Apr 30, 2012 9:02 PM

The Pack need more players with an edge to them. —- They already have enough ‘choir boys’.

14. bvanbvan says: Apr 30, 2012 9:07 PM

We owners hope he’s right!

15. slingingsh1t says: Apr 30, 2012 9:07 PM

The story I want to see is when a draft pick says:

16. exibitsman says: Apr 30, 2012 9:23 PM

This punk will be among the first group. of cuts at the end of trainings camp.if he was any good he would have. been drafted.

17. vikescry1 says: Apr 30, 2012 9:59 PM

slingingsh1t says:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:07 PM
    The story I want to see is when a draft pick says:

” I thought I got pick pretty high considering I’m not a very good player. There were several players left on the board that I consider much better than me.” ————————————————————————————————————————————————— actually i wanted to see this story…. ” i didn’t think i was good enough to even get drafted, i mean with all the pot i smoke my brain is practically gone. that’s why i accepted this job working the drive thru at the local taco stop.

18. houndog50 says: May 1, 2012 12:23 AM

exibitsman says: Apr 30, 2012 9:23 PM
    ——————————————–
    exibitsman, so the 5th round doesn’t count as “Drafted”? Can you read, genius? It’s at the top of the page, it’s called the “Article”!

19. tangysizzl says: May 1, 2012 1:40 AM

NE and GB traded picks earlier in the draft too, GB moved up 28 spots from 90 in the 3rd round to 62 in the 2nd round and selected a CB Casey Hayward and gave up a 5th round pick, pick 163.

Pick 163 was then traded back to the Packers for a 6th and 2 7th round picks and they selected Terrell Manning with that pick.

If I remember correctly, the last time GB traded 3 picks to NE for 1, GB selected LB Clay Matthews III. Before that GB got the better of NE when the traded up with GB to draft Chad Jackson and GB drafted Greg Jennings with the pick they got from NE in the trade.

If the trend continues GB just got 2 pretty darn good players. One can only hope.

20. jwcarlson says: May 1, 2012 8:16 AM

If Baalke was mad he has no one to blame but himself. Instead of WAY overdrafting a third round WR at the end of the first round he could have be a bit more intelligent with is draft picks.

21. toolkien says: May 1, 2012 11:32 AM

I’m the best message board commentator ever.

My, that is easy to do, isn’t it?

I remember a guy named Terrell Buckley who said he was the next Jim Thorpe. He wasn’t a bust, but he wasn’t even a Babe Didrikson.

Talk is cheap. Pressure and sacks over a 12 year career is hard.

22. imsmartyouarenot says: May 1, 2012 5:50 PM

+10 points to toolkien for a Babe Didrikson reference.

You may indeed be the best message board commentator ever, you may indeed.

23. packerfanfordecades says: May 2, 2012 11:02 AM

If only half the stars and potential stars in the Packer depth chart for Line Backer have an excellent year, that would produce lots of single-
    digit scores against the Packer D this year.

Go Pack Go !!

24. brewdogg says: May 3, 2012 12:00 AM

slingingsh1t says: Apr 30, 2012 9:07 PM

The story I want to see is when a draft pick says:

——————————

Haven’t heard about Rhett Ellison yet?

NFL Draft Scout and CBS had his as a 4th-5th round pick, and both had him at #149 overall (hmmm….that’s odd……), and yet he was out in a boat when he got picked, because he didn’t expect to get drafted.

25. axespray says: May 4, 2012 4:28 AM

Just needs to be better than Walden/Zombo/and Brad Jones….