Rams will check in with Janoris Jenkins daily

Janoris Jenkins, Dwight Jones AP

The Rams were able to take a chance on drafting cornerback Janoris Jenkins because of the amount of picks they gained by trading down twice in the first round of the 2012 Draft.

Those deals left them with four picks in the first two rounds and a little freedom to take a player with major talent and major red flags. General Manager Les Snead told Peter King of SI.com that it would have been tougher to pick Jenkins if they weren’t so well-stocked with picks and he also said that the team is going to do whatever it can to assure that the gamble pays off.

Snead or another Rams official will be checking in with Jenkins every day to talk about his life in hopes of making sure that Jenkins isn’t getting into any more trouble. Snead also made it clear to Jenkins that he’s going to be closely monitored.

“I looked the kid in the eye and said, ‘It’s you and me,’” Snead said.

All the hand holding in the world won’t help if Jenkins doesn’t make a personal commitment to cleaning up his off-field issues, but it’s the best route for the Rams to take to ensure that their investment pays off.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
49 Responses to “Rams will check in with Janoris Jenkins daily”
  1. joetoronto says: Apr 30, 2012 11:11 AM

It’s too bad so many of these players need their hand held and their diapers changed.

2. usmutts says: Apr 30, 2012 11:12 AM

Why in the world would you draft, and give a generous contract to, a grown man so undisciplined that you have to check up on him every day of his life?

3. pftcensorssuck says: Apr 30, 2012 11:13 AM

I see this working well ……

4. KIR says: Apr 30, 2012 11:17 AM

Excuse me for getting slightly off topic but, when kids from the burbs or rich kids do drugs, we all go ahhh and our level of sympathy is magnified. (See comments on previous post for Jet’s Erik Ainge, Eric Kramers son and even the FIRST drug arrest of Ryan Leaf). But when we hear drugs and inner-city kid, it’s a scourge on society, everything and everyone involved are some lawless, lazy, belligerent people who are not worthy of drawing a breath…

The problems of an inner-city kid is just as poignant and deserving of empathy as those of a suburban kid from a stable family who despite leading a “good Life”, has slipped into the abyss of drugs… Purple drank anyone?

5. joetoronto says: Apr 30, 2012 11:24 AM

Wow, the race card was played early on this time.

6. iced107 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:27 AM

omg..seriously? this much uproar over weed?

Isn’t it like 35-40% of american’s smoke?

He has 3 or 4 kids with 3 or 4 different women..Who cares as long as he takes care of them.. again, divorce rate is 50%.

He’s not a bad person – he’s just a young american kid.. When this kid does something bad that endangers his kids, baby mama’s, or something to anyone that involves something more than a little toke,then worry.

7. mjkelly77 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:28 AM

What? To see that he has an adequate supply of condoms and reefer?

8. dbones750 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:30 AM

lazy but talented

9. buddybowl69 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:31 AM

I say use an ankle bracelet to know where this problem man/child is at all times. And use a doggy neck shock collar to keep him away from Pacman and out of stripclubs. Problem solved.

10. tooz72 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:33 AM

“i was going to answer the Ram’s call, but then i got high”

11. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 30, 2012 11:36 AM

Dear Mr. Snead or another Rams official:

Can i drop my kids off for a few hours every now also,and then so you can babysit them too?

It doesn’t even have to be full time either like Jenkins.

Plus MY kids are the most precious angels, and most well mannered children on Earth unlike Jenkins).

12. ken0west says: Apr 30, 2012 11:38 AM

Horrible pick. He has no chance.

13. castleofcheese says: Apr 30, 2012 11:40 AM

@KIR

All the people you mentioned were involved with highly addictive substances. Jenkins was busted several times for marijuana possession and fighting. The fact that marijuana isn’t addictive shows that his misconduct is from poor decision making, not addiction. No one is going to feel sorry for a person who routinely acts like an idiot.

14. chc4 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:43 AM

Nobody said he was a bad person. But in a league that drug tests, taking a guy with his issues this high in the draft is absolutely debatable. Why are some people so offended by that?

15. johnnyjagfan says: Apr 30, 2012 11:50 AM

What are you guys doing? Reading MMQB and just blogging about it? Just send us a link to it already.

16. whatevnfl says: Apr 30, 2012 11:50 AM

“I looked the kid in the eye and said, ‘It’s you and me,’” Snead said.
    .”..and your 4 kids and 3 baby mamas….”

17. pacificamjr says: Apr 30, 2012 11:53 AM

Fisher: Hi Janoris, what you up to?
    JJ: Oh you know coach, the usual, playin a little hide the sausage wit my h o e, blazin a little chron…
    Fisher: sounds good, see ya at camp bud!

18. j0esixpack says: Apr 30, 2012 11:55 AM

I was shocked to see Janitoris go that high.

Obviously he has talent but I thought for sure he’d slide way back to the late rounds like Dennard, who the Patriots picked up with a 7th, which is worth the risk and helped ensure they wouldn’t need to compete for him as a UDFA.

When it comes to a 2nd round pick I don’t care how many you have – you generally try not to waste picks like that with such a gamble.

Hearing Janitoris actually THREATEN all those teams (including the Rams) who passed on him during the first round couldn’t have made Snead feel too good.

It’s not the pot or the kids – it’s just his sheer stupidity – and you can’t undo stupid.

(Uh oh – now I’m probably on Janitoris’ hit list too)

19. sports_dude says: Apr 30, 2012 11:57 AM

Imagine if weed was legal. Cowboys would have taken Moss no questions asked. He’ll be alright.

20. rajbais says: Apr 30, 2012 11:59 AM

Sounds like babysitting to me!!!

21. j0esixpack says: Apr 30, 2012 12:00 PM

… on second thought, maybe when Scouts told him they expected he would be drafted high, they were speaking figuratively and not literally (or the other way around depending on your perspective)

22. nflfollower says: Apr 30, 2012 12:04 PM

Usmutts—–the contract isn’t nearly as generous as a 2nd rounder with the new rookie CBA. The risk is more potentially losing the draft pick than a financial fallout. I personally love the move, every year tons of 2nd round picks don’t pan out, but the ceiling with Jenkins is very very high. I wish Detroit had traded up to nab him in the second round, but oh well. All our team babysitters are busy already.

23. firethorn1001 says: Apr 30, 2012 12:04 PM

Don’t forget to bring a towel…

24. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 30, 2012 12:04 PM

whatevnfl says:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:50 AM
    “I looked the kid in the eye and said, ‘It’s you and me,’” Snead said.
    .”..and your 4 kids and 3 baby mamas….”

***************************************

And the Departments Of Family Services, and Child Support Enforcement of multiple states.

25. txtuff says: Apr 30, 2012 12:07 PM

Is this going to be “Pacman” Jones 2.0 for Jeff Fisher? Either he didn’t learn or he thinks he can get it right this time.

26. pftcensorssuck says: Apr 30, 2012 12:10 PM

“I looked the kid in the eye and said, ‘It’s you and me,’” Snead said.
    ———————————————————-
    “Kid”??????

He’s a 23 year old man who has been arrested FOUR times for drugs and assault, while already having 4 kids through 3 different women.

All before he got out of college.

Snead can’t REALLY feel good about this.

27. thejuddstir says: Apr 30, 2012 12:12 PM

Remember when Jerrah hired a body guard to follow Pacman around……….how’d that work out, seems to me the pacman got in a fight with his bodyguard. good luck rams, maybe you should put this idiot on house arrest, don’t let him ever leave the practice facility. Remember, zebra’s can’t change their stripes don’t matter what.

28. beastup22 says: Apr 30, 2012 12:14 PM

If you were in the top 10% of your profession you could smoke weed too. It is what it is, he is a lockdown corner in a passing league. It obviously hasn’t kept him from missing games in college. Muschamp just had to make an example of him, to start off his new regime.

29. brianbowman16 says: Apr 30, 2012 12:17 PM

Here’s how I see it (and really can’t believe nobody’s thought of this) what I’m guessing is that the Rams are hoping that Finnegan, being an ultra religious fella, as well as a cb, can have a MAJOR, life altering positive influence on that dude. That’s really the only thing that makes sense to me.

30. cooklola2012 says: Apr 30, 2012 12:18 PM

what Donna responded I’m alarmed that a student can make $9203 in four weeks on the computer. did you read this link (Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/CVQhw

31. thraiderskin says: Apr 30, 2012 12:22 PM

Why do all the Pot-tards always start crying about “why is smoking pot such a big deal?” None of us on here are making that point. I might not be very well spelled out for you (perhaps due to your affecting for weed), but we are making fun of a guy who makes really, really stupid decisions at the cost of millions of dollars. If I had a drunk driving issue, I would either stop drinking or stop driving, if it was going to cause me to not get paid what I’m worth. No body is asking for an inner-city v. suburban debate here, just some basic common sense, also known as $,$$$,$$$ v. smoking weed. Also, stop acting like we don’t look at stupid rich kids with the same disdain as stupid inner-city kids, all you’re doing is looking for a fight you will never prove.

32. granadafan says: Apr 30, 2012 12:48 PM

I get that the Rams are being proactive in ensuring their investment doesn’t blow up in their faces, but Jenkins is not worth the headache and baby-sitting. The more you coddle a loser like Jenkins and cover up his egregious past transgressions, the more he thinks he can get away with it.

Clearly getting kicked out of a premier program like Florida by the new coach (Urban Meyer would have looked the other way as long as he could play) wasn’t the wake up call he needed because he continued to smoke and lie about it to potential employers at the Combine. Guys like Janoris are useless to a civilized society.

33. idealisticapathetic says: Apr 30, 2012 12:56 PM

smoking blunts, returning punts.

34. kegowhisky says: Apr 30, 2012 1:13 PM

This has PACMAN written all over it. Even a bodyguard couldn’t keep him out of trouble. I really hope Jenkins does well, but he has to make the commitment and effort – something we haven’t seen yet.

35. 49erstim says: Apr 30, 2012 2:09 PM

@theraiderskin…. Very well stated Sir. I have nothing to add to that. Kudos!

36. kronix7 says: Apr 30, 2012 2:14 PM

KIR you are way off base if you think there is a difference between inner city kids or kids from the burbs. It’s a weakness, it has nothing to with where you come from. It’s just a sorry excuse.

37. jwreck says: Apr 30, 2012 2:15 PM

KIR says: Apr 30, 2012 11:17 AM

_______________
    Responding may be even more off topic, but I just wrote a bunch of paragraphs discussing the public and the media response to youths and drug problems. It was too long and too off-topic so I’ll just summarize it in a few sentences.

“We” (by which I assume you mean the media and public perceptions), don’t think that the “inner-city kid” is “a scourge on society”. Drugs, yes, but the “inner-city kid” himself, no. Saying that drugs are the scourge of society, especially the society of the “inner city kid”, is incontrovertibly true and both deserves and receives sympathy from the public and the media.

That being said, however, I don’t believe drugs are the only cause of mistrust toward Janoris Jenkins. He has four children with three women at the age of 23. That shows both tremendous irresponsibility, poor judgment, and a lack of regard for others’ well-being. The fact that his NFL contract will ensure that his kids are taken care of doesn’t justify his behavior. If he had been hit by a bus last week and was unable to play football in the NFL, he would have essentially ruined seven individuals’ lives. That, not marijuana, is the major red flag in Jenkins character.

I think “we” are now waiting to see how Jenkins behaves in the professional world of the NFL. If he reins in his off-the-field issues, works hard, and plays well, the animosity and mistrust will disappear. However if he continues to behave like a scumbag ala Travis Thomas, Antonio Cromartie, or Perrish Cox, the public and media will turn against him, as it rightly should.

38. bozosforall says: Apr 30, 2012 2:17 PM

j0esixpack says:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:55 AM
    I was shocked to see Janitoris go that high.

(Uh oh – now I’m probably on Janitoris’ hit list too)

___
    Doubt if Janoris even cares what an idiot Pats fan like you thinks about him. He’s already in line to make more money than you ever will, drunkonasixpack. I wish the young man all the best in his quest to fulfill his NFL dream. Looks like you’ve already fulfilled your trailer trash dream.

39. brianbosworthisstonecold says: Apr 30, 2012 2:29 PM

The rams will also be changing his diapers whenever an , “Oops”, happens…

40. schmitty2 says: Apr 30, 2012 2:30 PM

iced107 says: Apr 30, 2012 11:27 AM
    omg..seriously? this much uproar over weed?

Isn’t it like 35-40% of american’s smoke?

With a post like this it’s safe to assume your positive contribution to society will be minimal at best

41. kronix7 says: Apr 30, 2012 3:04 PM

Tooz72 that’s a brilliant song, and it’s true.

42. iced107 says: Apr 30, 2012 3:10 PM

schmitty

—————————————————-

yep, i’ve already been oversea’s and served my country.. I’d be willing to wager thats a hell lot more than what you’ve contributed.

If Jenkins can raise his kids correctly and keep his priorities straight – I would consider that in itself a contribution, seeing as how many kids are running around f***ed up these days..

Lemme ask you somethin – why do you care what he does if it doesn’t effect you?

————————————————-
    joesixpack:

Yes, I’m sure snead isn’t feeling too good now that one of his players even more motivated than before..

oh and btw, Peyton Manning said the same thing too. He musta made Polian squirming in his boots when he said that

43. iced107 says: Apr 30, 2012 3:12 PM

A college kid smoked a ton of weed in college…shocker!

44. kahnsbushymustache says: Apr 30, 2012 3:12 PM

Better make sure you call him every day at 4:15 and keep him on the phone a while…

45. rams1999 says: Apr 30, 2012 3:18 PM

As a fellow pothead and Rams fan, i feel bad this guy cant smoke anymore. He is gonna start doing what i do…in order to not test positive…he is gonna start drinking and that, my alcoholic friends is by far worse. Good ol ignorant society.

46. rcali says: Apr 30, 2012 3:48 PM

I stopped needing a babysitter when I was 10 and my parents were sure I wouldn’t light the cat on fire.

47. greenewillie says: Apr 30, 2012 4:56 PM

what Jesse responded I didnt even know that anyone can get paid $5537 in 1 month on the internet. did you read this website (Click on menu Home more information) http://goo.gl/z9Mws

48. redbirdnation23 says: Apr 30, 2012 6:08 PM

okay, so why are we all griping about Jenoris Jenkins considering the Rams were….. 2-14 last season and last 5 seasons averaging 3 wins? To me they had all of these picks and had a right to take a chance, they drafted Trumaine who is also supposed to be a outstanding CB, so if Jenoris screws up then Trumaine takes his spot.. I don’t understand why you would be hating on the dude when (if he stays out of trouble) then he WILL be considered the steal of this draft and potential of being a SUPERSTAR CB, yes he has trouble with his past, but to me take a chance because we drafted another GREAT corner. Say he screws up and rams do bad again (hoping the skins screw up also) they get another early first round draft pick again next year to draft another CB… I think one guy won’t make a difference especially a rookie, I think we would be able to wait a year on another kid.

49. nitty1964 says: Apr 30, 2012 6:18 PM

As a fellow AA this is my sentiments of the matter. Joining the NFL via the draft is not a right is it priviledge. If this kid does not think in these terms his career is already over. When I joined the military as an 18 year old I had to wait 6 months before basic training. The military was my ticket out of the hood. I realized that right away and I did nothing to jeopardize that. Hopefully this kid has some family member, mentor, or role model who can keep him on the straight and narrow and not just prior to rookie camp but his whole life. I wish him well