Vikings say goodbye to Caleb King

Caleb+King+Houston+Texans+v+Minnesota+Vikings+SU0AroMr9Qrl Getty Images

When running back Caleb King was arrested on charges of third-degree assault with substantial bodily harm over the weekend, it was fair to wonder how much longer the Vikings would keep him around.

Not very long, as it turns out. Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings have cut King. King joined the team after going undrafted in the 2011 supplemental draft and spent most of the year on the practice squad.

King was arrested after fracturing the skull of another man at a party early Saturday morning. His victim, Andrew Hayek, is “doing better”, according to his sister, after the attack, which was reportedly precipitated by Hayek telling King that he resembled Eddie Murphy. King was released from jail on Tuesday and charges have not yet been formally filed by the county attorney’s office. They are still investigating the incident, though, so there may be more to come on that front.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Vikings say goodbye to Caleb King”
  1. blacknole08 says: May 1, 2012 5:26 PM

Welcome to America, Caleb King. You bum!

2. monctonvike says: May 1, 2012 5:28 PM

They are now short a practice squad rb vs keeping someone like that on the team, with so much at stake with the stadium. RB is not a huge position of need for the vikes. Its a no brainer, I really think they could find allot of other prospects to fill that role.

3. vikingsfan1994 says: May 1, 2012 5:29 PM

1nd

4. jbl429 says: May 1, 2012 5:32 PM

apparently, if King has any resemblance to Eddie Murphy, it’s not because of his sense of humor.

5. pftcensorssuck says: May 1, 2012 5:32 PM

Hell, if ANYBODY was going to hit Hayek for that remark, it should have been Eddie Murphy!!!!!

King is UGLY compared to him!

6. catquick says: May 1, 2012 5:33 PM

Is Mr. Hayek white? Is this a “hate crime”? Why no uproar like with Zimmerman? Fracturing a skull over a bemusing comment? He must be racist.

7. purpleguy says: May 1, 2012 5:36 PM

Good riddance, but it is kind of a hypocritic standard to hold onto Chris Cook on the basis that criminal charges are not resolved, but cut this practice squad guy (even if he gets ticked for looking like Eddie Murphy). It’s a double standard based on talent and too much celebrity similarity.

8. 6ball says: May 1, 2012 5:37 PM

Eddie Murphy….wtf

I bet my house it was Urkle

9. pickleman77 says: May 1, 2012 5:41 PM

Jeez, I’m glad the guy didn’t tell him he looks like Steve Urkel!

10. nineroutsider says: May 1, 2012 5:41 PM

This guy needs to rot in jail for at least 5 years; that will thicken his skin a little. Why not just knock him out instead of brutalizing him like that? Senseless…

11. mnajb says: May 1, 2012 5:47 PM

Dude is wishing he played corner right now.

12. babych99 says: May 1, 2012 5:53 PM

People tell me I look like Pauly Shore, I don’t bust their heads open however…

13. kosarsmyidol says: May 1, 2012 5:53 PM

I’m waiting for King to argue that he was delirious at the time of the attack.

14. vikesfansteve says: May 1, 2012 5:54 PM

The kid was 150 lbs and 5’6. The worst part is the people at the party refusing to call 911 & then trying to tell the police who tracked victims cell call to 911 that there was nothing wrong. They need to be charged also. What an assanine reason to beat someone or even hit them. Hope King gets the maximum jail sentence.

15. gdeli says: May 1, 2012 6:02 PM

now chris cook? i know he was found not guilty but that is different then innocent. He should have RAN out of that house and called the cops if HE is threatened.

16. patfic15 says: May 1, 2012 6:04 PM

If you have seen any of Eddie’s movies lately, you would understand the reaction.

17. bigpurplepapi says: May 1, 2012 6:04 PM

King is not a fan of Eddie Murphy.

18. jokendave says: May 1, 2012 6:06 PM

purpleguy says:May 1, 2012 5:36 PM

Theres a big diference and Cook was able to prove his case. So it wasn’t hypocritical. This was above and beyond the reation needed. Though C.C. wasn’t much better in action, it was far from what King did.
    This was a smart move by the Vikings.

19. jokendave says: May 1, 2012 6:09 PM

People tell me I look like Pauly Shore, I don’t bust their heads open however…

________________________________

Mybe you should reconsider..lol ( I mean really Pauly Shore, you have a defense..lol)

20. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 1, 2012 6:11 PM

We’ll miss him.

21. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 1, 2012 6:13 PM

babych99 says:May 1, 2012 5:53 PM

People tell me I look like Pauly Shore, I don’t bust their heads open however…
    ______

Tell me about it. People are always telling me I look like a cross between George Clooney and Brad Pitt. Especially women. It gets annoying.

22. thingamajig says: May 1, 2012 6:19 PM

King must have had multible concussions while on the practice squad which caused the attack. His next step should be to join in with the lawsuit against the NFL.

23. kane337 says: May 1, 2012 6:23 PM

Georgia Bulldog’s finest.

24. devikesfan says: May 1, 2012 6:26 PM

Imagine if there was ever a conversation between Rick James and Caleb King-
    “Caleb-Caleb King! What did the five fingers say to the face…?”

25. ctiggs says: May 1, 2012 6:27 PM

I just tweeted him Hey Eddie Murphy……………… What a joke this kid is, thats not even an insult, these people coming out of high school are so fragile with their feelings now these days. Man Up dude

26. Frazier28/7 says: May 1, 2012 6:31 PM

My heart stopped for a second while reading that headline as I was expecting Calib King to be replaced with Minnesota.

27. christhefish says: May 1, 2012 7:01 PM

They could have just moved to L.A. without telling him…

28. wabbitslayer says: May 1, 2012 7:28 PM

Dear Vikings,

Thanks a lot for cutting him….now he has no job, no salary and no prospects, so when I do sue him, I won’t get anything b/c he won’t have anything to get. His lawyer probably got the last of whatever money he did have.

Signed,

The Victim

29. barrywhererufrom says: May 1, 2012 7:41 PM

Al sharpton and jeszie Jackson are ontheir say to comfort King. Obama blams Bush for the attack..

30. vavikingfan says: May 1, 2012 8:02 PM

I agree with purple guy—Chris Cook can strangle his girlfriend and be punished by being paid for the remainder of the season and the Vikings sign that great character guy Jerome Simpson but cut a practice squad player .

31. lbpackfan says: May 1, 2012 8:07 PM

Vikes looking to replace Caleb King with Contra74…he played college football and shoot be a boost of talent for the Vikings.

SKOAL!!!

32. renaissanceman87 says: May 1, 2012 8:15 PM

People tell me I look like a cross between Jared Leto & Daniel Day Lewis… I typically proceed to bed with them.

33. desertviking64 says: May 1, 2012 8:40 PM

I’m Gumby dammit !!!

34. dukemarc says: May 1, 2012 9:09 PM

So the Vikings breaking point is cracking some guys skull after being called a racial insult but not for admitted to punching and choking your girlfriend(Chris Cook)…..what a bunch of hypocrites.

35. yojoemama says: May 1, 2012 10:27 PM

Give the guy a break. C’mon if someone said you looked like Eddie Murphy you would probably do the same thing too!

36. monctonvike says: May 1, 2012 10:30 PM

…..he was found NOT guilty in a court of LAW. Perhaps every situation is unique, thus its treated differently

37. brewdogg says: May 2, 2012 1:23 AM

the guy that did my senior pictures years ago asked my permission to send them into a David Hasselhoff look-alike contest. Now if ANYONE deserved to be beaten……