Vikings stadium effort takes ugly turn

crazy-vikings-fans1 Getty Images

Less than two weeks ago, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell helped kick-start the effort to get a clear resolution on the Vikings stadium bill.  Now, one day after the Minnesota Legislature was supposed to adjourn for the year, Goodell’s next task may be to bring to the Twin Cities enough glue to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Governor Mark Dayton, a Democrat, has accused Republican leaders in the Legislature of having “secret meetings” with the Vikings, calling the activities “cynical, underhanded politics.”  Also, a new proposal has been introduced, which eliminates the roof and calls for bonds, not gambling, to finance the state’s portion of the contribution.

“This is not our proposal,” Vikings V.P. Lester Bagley said.

“The time to consider the site or the design has passed.  Make no mistake:  the Vikings stand with the agreement we negotiated,” Bagley added.

Team director of corporate communications Jeff Anderson said on Twitter that the team did not engage in “secret meetings,” but that it merely answered questions regarding “a concept.”

Regardless of how things got to this point, it’s currently a mess.  Dayton has released a statement urging the public to demand a vote on the pending bill.  “I’m saying please call your legislators and say vote,” Dayton said.  “Vote on the proposal that’s been worked on for the last eight months.  That’s before the House and Senate.  That’s been vetted by seven legislative committees. . . .  Call your legislators and say quit fooling around, this is not about politics for November and it’s not about your jobs for Novembers.  It’s about our jobs, our future, out team.  Get it done.  Bring it up — up or down vote.”

A few days ago, it seemed definite that would happen.  Now, it’s not clear what will happen, and the future of the team in Minnesota possibly hangs in the balance.

Permalink 169 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
169 Responses to “Vikings stadium effort takes ugly turn”
  1. cpo187 says: May 1, 2012 8:17 PM

As long as I can hear about the Vikings stadium situation twice a day, I will be a happy man. Also, as a former Minnesotan now living in So-Cal, I guess I am good with whatever happens, as long as SOMETHING happens so we don’t have to hear it anymore.

2. shieldsisland37 says: May 1, 2012 8:21 PM

This is just sad.

3. arlingtonsynn says: May 1, 2012 8:21 PM

“Vikings stadium effort takes ugly turn”

Yeah…. towards the Minnesota women.

In all seriousness, why does either political party think engaging in brinkmanship over the Vikings is a good idea? It’s not worth risking being blamed if they go.

Its fun to mock the Vikings, but that team needs to stay in that state and keep the NFC North entertaining.

4. 6ball says: May 1, 2012 8:21 PM

Didn’t Bob Kraft of the Patriots build his own stadium? Isn’t he making more money than ever now?

It’s confusing.

5. vontazemebro says: May 1, 2012 8:24 PM

Ugly turn? Sounds like reasonable folks trying to do their due diligence. Love Bagley’s posturing…”time to consider the site and design has passed” LOL…

6. cincinnasti says: May 1, 2012 8:25 PM

I want some more Goodell “I’m God do as I say or else” quotes…

7. 7ransponder says: May 1, 2012 8:26 PM

I’m starting to wonder if the state GOP KNOWS it’s going to get decimated in November, so they are doing everything in their power to let things go to hell so that when they do get bad, they can point to the DFLers and say that they are perpetuating this. Exactly like the GOP did on the national level.

Regardless, this whole thing has left a terrible taste in my mouth for MN politics and has me rethinking about staying here long term. Don’t get me wrong, I would continue to support the Vikings no matter where I am, if they stay here, but I just can’t handle these spineless cowards in office anymore.

To those of you who don’t care about this and still post in these threads because there’s so many about our stadium situation – trust me, WE’RE sick of hearing about it too! It’s on every local newscast, a story in every local paper/website, and it’s long been a watercooler topic at work. People are sick of it and want this to get done, we want the team to stay here, and people need to start contacting their legislators to get it done.

8. nyyjetsknicks says: May 1, 2012 8:30 PM

Moving to LA does not sound like a turn for the worse.

9. cereal blogger says: May 1, 2012 8:31 PM

Now, we had a deal. A deal’s a deal.

Is it, Jerry? Why don’t you ask those three poor souls in Brainerd if a deal’s a deal. Go ahead, ask them!

10. johnnyb216 says: May 1, 2012 8:31 PM

Being a packer fan, I love hearing of the vikings troubles to get funding for a stadium. But I also, am starting to get sick of all these up to the minute updates. Face it, Mike. Even Viking fans are getting sick of these obsessive compulsive posts you continue to churn out. It’s not like the vikings are the only team out there with this problem. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I would love it if I didn’t hear of this topic again until the announcement of the move to LA.

11. niko0063 says: May 1, 2012 8:34 PM

Really? This is absolutely ridiculous. Having lived through the browns moving…I do not wish that feeling upon any fan. How about the politicians (both sides) stick to completely screwing this country up , and leave our escape from reality alone

12. philahitman says: May 1, 2012 8:35 PM

Those hillbillies in Minny dont wanna build a stadium despite the one they have falling apart… let them move to L.A. so then those Fargo hicks can complain about the economic impact of losing an NFL team. L.A. Vikings? hmmm…

13. jcusa514 says: May 1, 2012 8:35 PM

i hope he vikings don’t leave, but wake me up when this is over. this is almost as brutal as the daily 36-43 articles a year ago about the lockout……..almost

14. tarheelpirate says: May 1, 2012 8:35 PM

Los Angeles Vikings

Get use to it.

15. dragonfly99 says: May 1, 2012 8:35 PM

16. jonasgrumbyoftx says: May 1, 2012 8:38 PM

Well, at least I’ll get to see the Packers once a year when the Vikes move here to L.A.

17. tweeter75 says: May 1, 2012 8:38 PM

I am a life long Republican, but this election I will be voting Democrat in Minnesota. The Republicans have been hiding in the shadows, making sure they keep their opinions on the matter as low key, and out of the public eye as possible. At least Gov. Dayton and the Democrats have the spine to stand for something. At this point I just want a vote yes or no. The Republicans are solely concentrating on the election, and their #1 priority is reelection. Stand up…do what you were elected to do!! If your constiuents don’t want a staium, then vote no!! Please at least stand for something!!

I’m glad the political situation has gotten so much national exposure for one reason……the toxic political climate in Minnesota is disgusting. Hopefully the people wake up and see the politicking charlatans and vote them out in November.

18. ajtexans says: May 1, 2012 8:38 PM

Never thought it was possible but I think the stadium issue has eclipsed Jesse Ventura and Al Franken in the wtf? category of Minnesota politics

19. donnymacjack says: May 1, 2012 8:42 PM

I once had a friend tell me that…”No large group of people have ever made a worthy decision in a timely manner.” He was referring to the US Senate. Same thing applies here. The more people involved, the longer the process takes.

It’s time we (the NFL fan base across the country/world) figure out a better way to fund new stadiums. Time to remove the politicians from the equation.

Might I suggest the method currently on the table in Seattle, WA to get a new arena built for an NBA and an NHL team? Read up people! There ARE better ways.

20. thebigcaptain2011 says: May 1, 2012 8:44 PM

L. A. FOOTBALL LAKERS

21. yarjator says: May 1, 2012 8:45 PM

@6ball and dragonfly99:

A state-of-the-art open air venue near Boston is a whole lot more profitable than a giant igloo that’s only used for Vikings games and Prince concerts.

Zygi wants the state to pay because he knows a new stadium in that market isn’t cost effective without a bailout.

22. veetan says: May 1, 2012 8:45 PM

I’m sure it’s the Saints fault, right? :)

23. thebigcaptain2011 says: May 1, 2012 8:47 PM

Actually @dragonfly99, The City of Arlington contributed a lot of money in the form of taxes to the stadium. So he did not pay for it himself like the Giants/Jets did

24. tmb333 says: May 1, 2012 8:47 PM

Owners should build their own stadium so true market value of players can be determined. If a business doesn’t have to pay all its’ expenses, no wonder they can pay such high salaries. Nothing like taxpayer subsidized professional sports.

25. bdoubleoey says: May 1, 2012 8:47 PM

Its all BS politics, it will work its way out and will pass.

26. tipdrill84 says: May 1, 2012 8:47 PM

In 2020 or so, long after the Vikings moved to L.A. and they want public money to finance a stadium for the new expansion team: I WILL FIGHT THAT TO THE BITTER END! It’s now or never….

27. pftfan says: May 1, 2012 8:48 PM

This same EXACT situation happened on Long Island with the New York Islanders this past summer.

They too played in an outdated and decrepit arena, that was losing the team money. When it came time for a vote to fund a new and badly-needed arena with bonds (not free taxpayer money, but taxpayer money that would be paid back with interest over 30 years with revenue generated by the arena)…the local legislature (also split between a Republican County Executive/Mayor and Democratic state senate) kept using the arena as a political grenade to lob at their political rivals over the course of 5 years.

The frustrated voters overwhelmingly voted against a new arena because of misinformation about the arena and also because something that had brought significant revenue to the county over 40 years had now become a way for angry voters to show their disgust towards their local politicians.

Now the Isles will likely leave Long Island and yet, local politicians are talking about how they tried to save the arena, but it was the “other party” that did everything to abandon the only professional team in the area.

As a disgusted Islander fan and affected taxpayer, I pray the same fate doesn’t befall the Vikings fans in Minnesota.

28. edenprairieballer says: May 1, 2012 8:48 PM

VOTE EM’ ALL OUT COME NOVEMBER

29. drgreenstreak says: May 1, 2012 8:49 PM

Gambling is a science… for the guys who set the odds. Most states can predict within a few dollars how much revenue they will be able to generate from lottery proceeds. Hell, half of them spend it before the public even puts a dollar in a machine or buys a lottery ticket.

This is an election year. The Vikings are fodder.

Republicans make me wanna throw up. In fact, I have that taste in my mouth now.

30. morgan420 says: May 1, 2012 8:50 PM

Just go to cali already the deal will get done faster

31. NationalFlagFootballLeague says: May 1, 2012 8:51 PM

Leslie Frazier wants an explanation

32. jimmylions says: May 1, 2012 8:51 PM

Here’s a link to how the story is being reported in the Twin Ciites:

If the Vikings really were discussing alternative stadium concepts in private meetings with the GOP caucus, they were deliberately sabotaging the current stadium deal. “Merely answering questions” sounds like someone wordsmithing their way around the truth.

If the story is true – it means Vikings management were working with the GOP to create a poison pill that would kill the stadium deal.

Vikings fans deserve better than the current ownership. Just make sure that the Twin Cities get to keep the team name and color after these idiots leave town.

33. orthomarine says: May 1, 2012 8:54 PM

Thank you Minnesota legislative body for making Dolphins fan feel better about their situation…

34. beeroncos says: May 1, 2012 8:54 PM

No worries, Minnesota–you’ll always have Mall of America. :)

And salty roads.

35. garyman1 says: May 1, 2012 8:55 PM

I”m reminded of a line from the movie “The Magnificent Seven”. A guy jumps off a high building and as he passed each floor people heard him saying “so far so good”.
    The ground is fast approaching.

36. r0b1b0y says: May 1, 2012 8:55 PM

see ya later minnesota

37. mungman69 says: May 1, 2012 8:55 PM

I wish they all could be California Vikings

38. reaser2 says: May 1, 2012 8:56 PM

They should get rid of the roof, lowers costs plus they can play real football, outdoors on natural grass like it’s meant to be…that’s a win/win compromise they should make to get this deal done…

39. east96st says: May 1, 2012 8:58 PM

I am sympathetic to what each Vikings fan is going through. But, the cynic in me has to wonder how many of them that are complaining failed to show up and vote. Elections have consequences and if you don’t show up at the polls, don’t dare b*tch about the end results. You’re as much to blame as they are.

40. 86chawk says: May 1, 2012 8:58 PM

Anytime you have politicians involved it is going to be screwed up. This is exactly what is wrong with our country……. a bunch of idiots that could not make a decision if their life depended on it. I personally am sick and tired of this Republican vs Democrat B.S. that we all have to deal with. These people don’t give a crap about anyone but their future in politics. I say it is time to clean house on both sides!!!

41. lostsok says: May 1, 2012 9:00 PM

When the Vikes move to LA, almost a foregone conclusion now, how long before the Minnesota fans become Packer fans? Can they shrug off the years of rivalry and truly care about the Pack?

It’ll be interesting to watch.

Best case scenario, they got 1-15 and get Barkley. An LA team with a hometown hero to start things off would be a boon for the NFL. Sad for the Twin Cities, sure, but LA needs a team.

42. PriorKnowledge says: May 1, 2012 9:00 PM

All the ones who keep saying, “Why doesn’t he just pay for it himself….?” is not going to happen.

Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones live in BIG cities, with lots of people with lots of money. Minneapolis, Minnesota is a small town (as measured by the intelligence of their politicians and advocates, I would say: Very small.). The team does not generate enough revenue to build a billion dollar modern stadium..

GROW UP!

43. lolb23 says: May 1, 2012 9:02 PM

A liberal crying about something. Shocking!

44. NFL In L.A. says: May 1, 2012 9:02 PM

Vikings have no where to go. Only one NFC team can go to L.A.

That team will be the Rams. Minnesota Leaders know this. Zygi needs to bend the knee, not the Polticians.

45. potviking says: May 1, 2012 9:03 PM

Zygi doesn’t have that kind of money. Those guys and people like Paul Allen (Seahawks) should be paying for their own stadiums in full.

46. lionskeet says: May 1, 2012 9:06 PM

…the “ugly turn” was that government officials had…a…meeting…with Vikings ownership??? Really?!!!
    Vikes will be playing in NFC North for years to come. Move another small market team like the Jags or the Packers (please)…lol

47. imaginesuperbowlwin says: May 1, 2012 9:06 PM

Can someone please explain to me why any TRUE packers fan (or any other NFL team, for that matter) would want the Vikings to leave Minnesota? Please? Anyone? I hate the Packers as much as the next guy, but even with their Lombardi trophies and ridiculous cheesehead-wearing fans, I couldn’t bear to see them move. (And yes, I’m aware that probably would never happen.) Their fans make the long NFL season easier to take, and they provide a ton of cheap laughs for the rest of us!

48. nfl fan says: May 1, 2012 9:08 PM

It’s going to take private money and PSL’s to get on with your business. Look around the league, I know it sucks, but we had to do it in our cities.

49. bearsfan4life says: May 1, 2012 9:11 PM

6ball says: May 1, 2012 8:21 PM

———————————————————————

A+

Why should football fans be forced to buy a soccer field? This is no different.
    Why should the taxpayers be forced to finance this staduim?
    Certainly someone can come up with all the numbers…
    expected income (grossly overstated)
    expected cost (grossly understated)
    expected number of people to be employeed and for how long
    expected revenue generated per event (grossly overstated)
    estimated maintenance costs.

The bottom line…. and it’ll get this post lots of thumbs down….. but the bottom line is the owners KNOW that this project is a boondoggle.

If they thought they could make profit, they would assume the risk and build it themselves. They know they will lose money and that is why they want the taxpayers to backstop it.

50. Deb says: May 1, 2012 9:11 PM

dragonfly99 says:

————————————————-
    Don’t know how Mr. Kraft financed his stadium, but Jerrah didn’t pay for his world all by himself. Most stadiums involve a lot of creative financing and some sort of public contribution.

51. durno99 says: May 1, 2012 9:13 PM

Nice work Republicans! !!

52. jessethegreat says: May 1, 2012 9:14 PM

Just imagine how different things would be had Sean Payton not screwed things up with his head-hunting on Favre… The second the Vikings had won that Super Bowl and held up the Lombardi, every fan in the state would have voted Yea in favor of whatever state of the art stadium Zigmund had desired.

Ok now, back to the real world.

53. jackericsson says: May 1, 2012 9:15 PM

I’m against anything Dayton is for. Billionaires paying Millionaires to play in a stadium 10 times a year is not something that taxpayers should pay for. Zygi can afford to build his own stadium.

54. AlohaMrHand says: May 1, 2012 9:18 PM

Get those moving trucks ready Zygi.Its obvious Minnesota cares more about the Twins,Wild,TWolves and Gophers than they do the Vikings.

55. airplayful says: May 1, 2012 9:21 PM

Not my team, but I don’t want them to leave any more than I would want my own to go.

56. dietrich43 says: May 1, 2012 9:21 PM

Considering the NFL is rolling in money, maybe they should do like most businesses, and figure out how to pay for it themselves.

57. jjpmn says: May 1, 2012 9:22 PM

This is your government at work. This is the type of political gamesmanship crap that happens all the time that many of us don’t normally pay attention to. As I understand it, the Republicans want a bonding bill passed and they are using the stadium as leverage. They know damn well this new stadium “idea” doesn’t stand a chance of succeeding. It’s nothing more than a bargaining chip to them, and clearly some are reluctant to make the deal happen because they fear that the Democrat governor would benefit. It’s all about the parties, not about the state.

I should point out that I don’t vote based on political party, so this is not a case of me siding with the Democrats for that reason.

In fact, I am just as disgusted with the Democratic party for being in bed with the Native American casinos. They could easily pay for this stadium by putting slot machines in the local horse racing tracks. They claim they are opposed because of some moral high ground B.S. when their alliance with the tribes is the worst kept secret in the state.

I am truly sickened by the games that both parties play. That’s all this is to them. It’s a game about protecting their own political power and their precious parties. I still believe they will ultimately make a deal because none of them want to be known as politicians who let the most popular sports team in the state leave, but I’m tired of the games. The vast majority of the politicians on both sides of the party fences are downright pathetic.

58. smartbutlazy says: May 1, 2012 9:28 PM

Wow, what a novel idea. Let the taxpayers vote on whether to spend their tax money on a new stadium. Why has it taken so long to come up with this outlandish idea? Seriously. Whether the vote is yes or no, at least people will get what the majority wants.

59. dpinchot says: May 1, 2012 9:31 PM

LA bound….

60. tremoluxman says: May 1, 2012 9:34 PM

The GOP is up to their usual tricks. I live in Minnesota and have had a gut full of these Jack-wagons. They are holding the stadium vote hostage so they can pry business tax breaks from the Democrats. This bill has been through public hearings, 7 committees, and countless meetings. Now, the GOP wants a ‘roof ready’ stadium paid for by bonds, not gambling as was already agreed to. Thing is, the bonding route requires a 60% super majority vote to pass, not a simple majority for the gambling alternative. Also, the new GOP plan only pays for ‘infrastructure improvements’. Anything above ground, the stadium itself, is NOT paid for by the state’s contribution. The roof will come later and will not be paid for with any state contribution. That seriously limits any year-round revenue stream for anyone, the state included. Bear in mind, none of this was brought up at anytime in the past year. Is was sprung just this afternoon. The A$$holes are beyond belief.

61. vikingsinla says: May 1, 2012 9:35 PM

dragonfly99 says: May 1, 2012 8:35 PM

____________________

5 minutes of interneting would dispel you of the false notion that JJ didn’t receive public funding from Arlington for the Cowboys stadium. Frankly, Kraft is the exception that proves the rule: if a city/state wants to stay in the NFL fraternity, they have to pay for the privilege.

To do otherwise sets an expensive precedent that the other NFL owners will never permit. The Vikings MUST be moved, to set an example to other cities considering not providing funding when its time for a new stadium.

62. bresilhac says: May 1, 2012 9:36 PM

@tarheelpirate – Not so fast. San Antonio would more than likely offer better support for the franchise than would hip, trendy Los Angeles. After having squandered away two teams already, Los Angeles does not deserve yet another chance to fail.

63. matthewcarlson1 says: May 1, 2012 9:38 PM

Hahahaha Los Angeles Vikings HAHAHAHA… Anyone else tired of that?.. a bunch of morons like tarheelpirate keep spouting that over and over and over and over… WE GET IT okay? The team might leave and go to LA, its not a new story or anything. Wait until it actually happens and then you can be obnoxious because I won’t have a reason to read this site anymore. If Minnesota loses the Vikings then the NFL lost me for good, expansion team be damned.

64. pacoltsguy says: May 1, 2012 9:39 PM

Ah Minnesooaada. Just remember that this is exactly how Baltimore lost my Colts. You have no leverage with the team if you have no stadium deal. Your roof collapsed–C’mon Man!

65. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 1, 2012 9:41 PM

Hey, does anybody have any thoughts on how they might re-align the division when the vikes move to LA?

66. skolvikings74 says: May 1, 2012 9:42 PM

If all of you are sick of hearing about this then do what Gov. Dayton says. Tell Minnesota politicians to vote on this. Even if you are not from Minnesota call or email the MN legislator and tell them that you are sick of hearing about this and they should vote on it. Go to savethevikes.org to find phone numbers or email addresses.

67. vikescry1 says: May 1, 2012 9:45 PM

johnnyb216 says:
    May 1, 2012 8:31 PM

——————————————————————————————————————————- you may be getting tired of hearing about it but truly if the vikings leave the nfc north it will have an impact on the rest of the nfc north teams. as a packers fan yes i love to rip on all the other teams in our division but thats the rivalry right? in no way do we want to see them move, and anyone that says they do doesn’t understand what it will do to football in the nfc north. so viking fans get off your arse’s and start making your voice’s heard! because if your team does move to L.A. you’ll have only yourself to blame.

68. foosball11 says: May 1, 2012 9:45 PM

If Minnesota gets a new stadium, at some point they will want a pro team.

69. 12is3times4 says: May 1, 2012 9:45 PM

If the Legislature approves public funding, it’ll be because enough legislators have concluded that they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Once they accept that their chances of re-election are nil either way, then the question becomes how they would rather be remembered by future generations – for helping keep the Vikings in Minnesota, or for driving them away.

70. cbfour says: May 1, 2012 9:48 PM

The purple and gold reunited at last in LA……. What took you so long?

71. reaser2 says: May 1, 2012 9:53 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 1, 2012 9:41 PM

————–

Seems pretty simple, LA would be West and STL would move to the North…

72. PriorKnowledge says: May 1, 2012 9:56 PM

You know…. just once I would like to read a news story about a controversial subject where the decision agony is based on what is best and right rather than what would get the person reelected.

73. textexington says: May 1, 2012 9:57 PM

I can’t stop laughing at this whole situation!!!You chodes can’t even build a new stadium!LOLZ.Packers > Viqueefs.

74. patsaintsbroncoscheat says: May 1, 2012 9:57 PM

Too bad they cannot sell some stock.

75. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 1, 2012 9:58 PM

These legislators better realize that the election is right in the middle of the football season. All anyone is going to be talking about is how they let the Vikings leave. Nobody who is against the stadium will allow it to affect their vote because they don’t really care that much.

76. dawgebone says: May 1, 2012 10:01 PM

Sounds like Dayton needs to call the Whaaaaaambulance…although it is currently fueling up for the “occupy” trolls…maybe Dayton & the other stooges should “occupy” the current stadium..that’ll show those meany Republicans…sad that politicians are posturing for votes rather than doing their jobs…what a crazy thought huh?

77. 13curtjp says: May 1, 2012 10:05 PM

These politicians should truly be ashamed of themselves. Its a disgrace the way they conduct themselves. They were against using gambling to help fund the stadium because it was deemed immoral. However, recently they just passed a bill expanding gambling at Canterbury park. An in your face lie. Now they’ve thrown in this ridiculous roofless stadium idea to use as a stall tactic. At this point it wouldn’t bother me to see them leave. Not because I want them to…but it’s time the vikes stand up and say enough is enough.

78. stanklepoot says: May 1, 2012 10:05 PM

vontazemebro says: May 1, 2012 8:24 PM

________________________________
    Due diligence? Are you kidding me? How long have they been debating this project again? How many committees staffed with how many Republicans did this project have to get through to get to where it is now? All of that time and debate, and here we are on the brink of Minnesota losing the Vikings. You don’t seem to get the picture. If there’s no deal by the time the legislature closes shop, then the odds are that the Vikings will end up moving elsewhere. Oh, and in case you forgot, the normal legislative session is already over. They extended it for the purpose of voting on the bill that the Republicans seem to want to blow up at the very last moment and start over again on. Either they’re trying to use this project to extort some other concession from the Democrats, or they’re trying to kill the project outright by stalling the project or annoying the opposition until they tell them where they can stick it as the walk away. Any way you look at it, they’re playing chicken with an NFL that, while it likes preserving tradition, would like to have a franchise in L.A. Since there are no plans to expand the league, moving an existing team there is the only option. If things don’t get better real soon, all of Minnesota will likely find out how real of an option that will be. In my opinion, that would be a sad thing. Even the Vikings rivals should want to see them stay. Real rivalries are a valuable part of the NFL experience.

79. rexismybff says: May 1, 2012 10:05 PM

Now, don’t you all just hate Art Modell to death, for not sticking around Cleveland and dealing with all the pricks in the legislature in Columbus for 5-10 years before moving to Baltimore?

In fact, he and Irsay look like geniuses for packing the moving vans in the middle of the night.

I can’t see why any owner puts themselves through this garbage. Allowing your team, fan base, all your team’s community service and charitable work, and all your team employees to be made a political football, so that the Repubs and the Dems can use your name and goodwill to throw mud at each other? No thanks!

80. urcrap says: May 1, 2012 10:08 PM

If Vikes pull up the oars and sail off I will miss our visits to Minneapolis to enjoy a Viking game weekend one time per season over the last 15 seasons. It always includes two nights lodging, meals out, a little shopping (usually at Rosedale Mall) and of course the cost of tickets (usually in the lower end zone sections),and consessions, and parking too. Approximate costs. Lodging $325. Meals $250 plus tips. Shopping $500. Tickets $160 Consessions $30 Parking $30. I suppose thats chump change to many but we’ll probably just head to KC instead. Hey! The Kansas City Chiefs have a stadium there!

81. andthereuhaveit says: May 1, 2012 10:09 PM

Until there is a shiny new stadium built elsewhere (which there isn’t) I would continue to call zigys bluff. He can pay for his own building that HE gets the profits from. His rich lavish lifestyle won’t change a bit if he foots the bill. Hell half the dome is filled w packer fans anyways…. so really who is going to notice?

82. xxwhodatxx says: May 1, 2012 10:10 PM

Lmao and you vikes fans are on here trying to rip the Saints y’all don’t even know if you have a team to root for in years to come lol again

83. TxGrown says: May 1, 2012 10:10 PM

dragonfly99 says:
    May 1, 2012 8:35 PM
    “If Zygi wants to control all the details of the stadium , why doesn’t he just pay for it himself like Bob Kraft or Jerry Jones did?”
    =======================================================
    NO SIR! Jerry DID NOT PAY FOR IT HIMSELF!

City sales tax and hotel tax and millions from the city of Arlington AND from the NFL itself.

84. 2dollarpbrs says: May 1, 2012 10:11 PM

Blame the Patriots everything is all their fault

85. ubb44 says: May 1, 2012 10:11 PM

Ah yes the wonderful state of Minnesota. The state that is on the cusp of losing yet another Pro franchise.

The Lakers left. The North Stars left. The Twins owner want to contract the team. The Timberwolves were this close to leaving and now the Vikings.

What a sad sad pitiful state. It’s voters have chosen a pro wrestler for a Gov. a SNL cast member as their Senator! If it wasn’t so pathetic it would almost be funny.

Hey, at least they have a cool mall!

86. josiewales69 says: May 1, 2012 10:12 PM

a sign of the times. state or fed gov. politicians care about only one thing staying in office. stadium aside dem. or rep. and we wonder why nothing ever gets done. this fall vote all incumbants out. it’s time we start looking out for ourselves. because we know who all these clowns look out for . put the dam thing to a vote and get it over with

87. mediasloppy says: May 1, 2012 10:15 PM

The 2010 elections messed up every State and Washington. Bunch of hard lined ideologies bent on destroying whatever interest money can buy…

88. stanklepoot says: May 1, 2012 10:15 PM

dragonfly99 says: May 1, 2012 8:35 PM

__________________________________
    You think Jerry paid for the Jones Mahal all by himself? He brought in Parcells to turn the team around so that he could get public money. You really think he was eager to give up operational control of the team after his dealings with Jimmy Johnson? No, the Parcells move was a business decision. It just so happens that, in this case, successful business off the field required a renewed hope for success on the field.

89. flannlv says: May 1, 2012 10:17 PM

Minnesota* Vikings. Well, you will always have 2009. Oh wait, you lost.

90. mediasloppy says: May 1, 2012 10:24 PM

@ubba

The Twins owner wants to contract the team? The owner makes Wilf look like a poor peasant and he has a shiny new Stadium.

The Timberwolves were close to leaving? lol, and I got a lake side resort in the middle of the desert to sell them.

The SNL Senator has passed more bills in 2 years than most…

91. babyhorsemorgan says: May 1, 2012 10:29 PM

They’ve conceded the roof but are still negotiating to save part of the outside walls.

92. wludford says: May 1, 2012 10:33 PM

Tell the Speaker of the MN House to pass the stadium bill as is and quit fooling around. Here’s his email address: rep.kurt.zellers@house.mn

93. packerjb says: May 1, 2012 10:35 PM

Looks like commissioner Goodell will soon be threatening to extort the taxpayers of Minnesota, Missouri, and Florida with taunts of a Sunday tripleheader featuring the Los Angeles Vikings, Los Angeles Rams, and Los Angeles Jaguars.

94. patsfiend says: May 1, 2012 10:39 PM

C’mon Ziggy… step up and fund it yourself. Kraft showed all the owners just how to do this when Massachusetts gave him the Heisman. (Thought it took pimp tours through Providence and Hartford to get it done.)

95. burien12thman says: May 1, 2012 10:40 PM

First the Lakes and now the Vikings. Wait a couple of years and the Twins will be called the Long Beach Twins of Los Angels. Minnesota Teams love moving to California.

96. jmsieli says: May 1, 2012 10:42 PM

They might as well let them leave, I live in Minnesota and vote in Minnesota and its to late, we’re all tried of it, who’s gona get what and what are u gona do for me attitude, this is much more then just creating jobs and keeping jobs, if the VIKES leave and they will, there will be a void and cry to bring back a franchise, it will cost taxpayers twice as much (Northstars, Lakers) these incumbant morons who are up for re-election forgot who put them in there, if you haven’t heard the word is out, you good old boys and girls better get use to standing in the unemployment line, our voices will be heard.

97. purplekoolaid1 says: May 1, 2012 10:50 PM

Crap or get off the pot already.

98. kivory2 says: May 1, 2012 10:51 PM

And people always talking about Jacksonville moving….. Next topic

99. urcrap says: May 1, 2012 10:52 PM

flannlv says:
    May 1, 2012 10:17 PM
    Minnesota* Vikings. Well, you will always have 2009. Oh wait, you lost.

——————————————————————————-
    Good one! You must be a saint fan. Didn’t you get the Comish’s memorandum? All saint fans must identify themselves with a asterisk in front of their posting names. Get with the program!

100. jcar4x says: May 1, 2012 10:52 PM

this is bull!!! haven’t we gotten sick of losing our teams? LETS LET THEM GO. WE’LL GET A NEW TEAM DOWN THE ROAD. these politicians need a new job they sux!!!! what our next team will be the mn misquitoos? jokers… i was born in north dakota my parents had a cabin in bemidji mn where we built it up and moved. my biggest joy was going to bemidji(where the vikings had there traing camp) and watching my vikes and meeting them. if they move i will also move and never say i’m from mn, i will be from north dakota again…. get it right and get it done. if not keep the logo’s colors and name… but not me as a fan if they leave

101. dtrb10 says: May 1, 2012 10:55 PM

Some people are just wrong! What if this was your team? It wouldn’t be very funny. I can’t beleive the politicians in this state. It is a circus and they are all clowns. I can’t imagine MN without the Vikings. I probably wouldn’t even follow the NFL. It’s better to have a losing team than to have no team at all.

102. blancodiablo says: May 1, 2012 10:57 PM

xxwhodatxx says:May 1, 2012 10:10 PM

—————————-

I’m not even a Vikings fan but way to stay classy “whodat”. If I recall, your fine upstanding team nearly left the Big Dirty. Give it five years and you’ll be back in the same boat.

Well, look what I did there. Boat!

While youre adjusting yourself, I believe Cincinnati wants their saying back.

103. mrx149 says: May 1, 2012 11:04 PM

If the Vikings move to LA, will they be in the NFC West and the Rams move to the NFC north?

104. irishwhiskie says: May 1, 2012 11:12 PM

Lost because the Saints were going “high, low” on Favre, Gregg Williams’ bounties, and Loomis listening to play calls via his alien technology!

105. ninerdynasty says: May 1, 2012 11:30 PM

All this sounds soo familiar.. niners went through the same cr@p when trying to get the stadium approved.. politicians are a pain…

106. vetdana says: May 1, 2012 11:31 PM

josiewales69 says:
    May 1, 2012 10:12 PM

It doesn’t matter who you vote for, the Government always gets in.

— graffito in London

107. jimiinpa says: May 1, 2012 11:53 PM

i bet if they didn’t suck this wouldn’t be an issue….. just saying

108. mnomalley says: May 1, 2012 11:57 PM

2012 Vikings: 3-13 (Worst season in franchise history).

2012 Rams: Set NFL record for worst record in a 5 year span (15-65)

If the Vikings play 4 more years at 3-13, they will tie the Rams record.

Rams should move to LA!

109. gmsalpha says: May 2, 2012 12:02 AM

I love reading these up to the minute posts about the Vikings’ situation. Really, I do. It’s very compelling stuff.

For those of you who disagree….

STOP READING POSTS ABOUT THE VIKINGS STADIUM SITUATION!!!!!

And for the love of gosh, stop commenting. It’s like that guy Chris Chase at Yahoo! Everyone seems to hate him, but they sure do give him a lot of attention.

Florio must love all the comments too because you say you’re sick of it, yet you’re still here.

110. jjpmn says: May 2, 2012 12:10 AM

For those who feel like Wilf should build it himself, I say it’s even more ridiculous that that state of Minnesota doesn’t contribute their fair share and hope to profit over the long haul. At most, the Vikings would play 13 games in the stadium (insert your own joke here about the playoff games). If it has a roof (preferably retractable, but I’m not picky at this point), that leaves an awful lot of dates that the state could profit from holding additional events at the stadium, including a likely Super Bowl.

Admittedly, I’ve lost track of who gets what for non-Viking events because I’m becoming angry and frustrated by all of the political games. That said, if they had dealt with this like adults years ago and not put it off repeatedly, the state would have saved everyone money via lower constructions costs and had leverage to work out the best deal.

The Vikings had a lease and did not have leverage. By waiting until the last minute, as always, they put the team in the driver’s seat. This is what happens with politicians who push everything back in hopes that someone else will deal with the issues they don’t have the balls to address. This certainly isn’t limited to stadiums and it makes me sick.

111. rexryanbigmouth says: May 2, 2012 12:20 AM

Los Angeles Lakers
    Los Angeles Vikings
    What’s past is prologue
    You guys are about to blow it!

112. In the Weeds says: May 2, 2012 12:24 AM

The Packers have paid for stadium upgrades through their famous “stock/ownership” thing.

They raised tons of money for charity by selling Bricks of Dirt from Lambeau Field.

Does creativity stop at the state line, or what?

113. ufullpj says: May 2, 2012 12:30 AM

As a Packer fan, I don’t want to see the Vikes leave Minnesota, no matter how much I dislike them.

Some Packer fans need to go back into the history of the Packers, and they’ll find that none other than George Halas helped the Packers push for a new stadium in Green Bay – City Stadium, which is now Lambeau Field.

It’s important to the NFL for the Vikes to be in Minneapolis. It’s important for the people and corporations in Minneapolis to have the Vikes; and for for the Packers and Bears, it’s important to have their bitter rivals close.

The Bears saved the Packers long before I was born; it’s time for Packer fans to help save the Vikes.

114. rabbdogg says: May 2, 2012 12:37 AM

ha ha ha…La vikings*

115. codiablo says: May 2, 2012 12:43 AM

HELLO MINNESOTA!

Hi, I’m one of your former residents, born and raised, and went to undergrad there…I now live in NYC, my best friend runs a law firm in minneapolis, my significant other and I together make 200K plus, my family is right next door in Wisconsin now, however, if the stadium doesn’t get built, no where south of Duluth will ever see my money again…my girl is from LA…screw it, will go see the Vikings in LA, we’ll have my buddy meet us at his wife’s cabin in Wisconsin…We’ll either meet my parents in northern minnesota or wisconsin, where real people live anyway…and I’m not dissing the people of the city of mpls…but the worthless elected officials they elected.

HELLO BROOKLYN! HELLO LA! HELLO DULUTH! F-MPLS POLITITIANS!

116. tedhaag says: May 2, 2012 12:46 AM

Iowa residents might as well call in to help save the team too. The Vikings moving would hurt a large fan base of the upper Midwest, many of which aren’t even in Minnesota. Yeah, yeah we don’t have to pay for it. Would if I could.

… North Dakota/South Dakota might as well join in …

and I second jimiinpa’s comment. these are #problemsofaloser

117. csszrr says: May 2, 2012 1:00 AM

Not about dems or republicans. This is about roger dodger extorting money. Classic carrot and stick. Even Miasma is being extorted for more tax payer money. No public funds then no team or no super bowl. What a load. Between this and the changing nature of the game makes it less and less compelling. I guess this is what happens when you value peripheral customers as opposed to your core fans.

118. maverick5266 says: May 2, 2012 1:11 AM

Nfc north fans can break balls with the best of them, but no real fan of the black and blue division wants to see any of the teams move.

This would include the lowest senior team in the division the Minnesota Vikings.

Having a team with a supportive fanbase, even though they are a bunch of jerks, loose a team to a move is unacceptable. Especially due to politics and greed ( see Cleveland)

So Minnesota, get your house in order and lets play some damned football.

Signed

A Packers fan who wants the division just the way it is.

119. brewdogg says: May 2, 2012 1:19 AM

I’m all for a public vote. Let the people decide. But first….how about the whole truth?

How much money is paid to the state by Vikings players, coaches, and front office staff?

How much is paid by the team, as a corporate entity, that is not directly tied to fan spending?

In short, how much non-replaceable tax revenue leaves the state when the Vikings do? This should be the bare minimum for what the state should put up, because they are out that money either way. If that figure of money that would leave, over the course of 30 years, is what the state puts up, then whatever money contributed to the state coffers by out-of-state fans is profit from this venture. It’s that simple.

So somebody tell us. Somebody lay it all out for the voting public, no games, no hiding behind political agendas. If you truly feel it is the right of every taxpayer to have their voice heard on this matter, then it is also the right of every taxpayer to be armed with all the information they need to make the decision that is best for themselves and for the state.

Tell me what it will cost me to keep the Vikings, and then tell me what it will cost me to see them leave. And for those who don’t care to know that information but still want to make their “no corporate welfare” vote heard, how about you just stick your head back where it belongs and let the people who do have access to that information make the decision that is best for the state.

And BTW….since that information is not currently available, let’s just shoot for our best guesses. How much do the Vikings receive in national television contracts again? that’s taxable corporate income, right? And how much are those 53 players paid again? That’s taxable personal income, isn’t it? Hmmmmm…… Will the Vikings be paying rent on this new stadium? How much will that be every year? That almost seems like a refund……

But whatever. Continue with your whining if you want. I’ll be taking my “discretionary income” that I use to attend Vikings games and use it to fly to wherever they end up and watch them there.

120. rollteal says: May 2, 2012 1:33 AM

I really hope things get worked out to keep the Vikings in Minnesota longterm yet I’m starting to have my doubts as this a stalemate.
    As for the Jaguars in Jacksonville clearly Im wasn’t aware Khan could take the new locker rooms and wifi center HD screens and other stadium upgrades with him to a different local. LØL

121. usedtool says: May 2, 2012 1:35 AM

I became a Vikings fan before #10 was traded to New York. I have followed them my whole life. When in position to do so I proudly owned the half-time show on the Vikings radio network (I still brag about it). But I am sick of the political games. I am now rooting for the Vikes to tell Minnesota to stick it and move. That is all Minnesota deserves.

I would love to cream the Republicans for all the games they have played with this. But the Republicans couldn’t be playing their games now if the Democrats hadn’t played them in the past. A pox on both their houses.

There is only one choice to get this crap behind us. Let the Vikes move to somewhere they are more than a (political) football and vote against every incumbent. They are all at fault and they know it. They (the permanent political class) believe you and I can be manipulated through their perpetual games.

Whether it’s the Vikes or the National debt, the permanent political class thinks they can forever play there games and us “little people” will buy their BS.

The only solution is to put them (the permanent politicians) in the street and keep doing so. Give up on the Vikes but not on our Nation. Every election vote all the bastards out.

TATBO! is our cry. “VOTE ALL THE BASTARDS OUT!”

122. usedtool says: May 2, 2012 1:39 AM

Obviously should be THROW ALL THE BASTARDS OUT”

123. johnnyb216 says: May 2, 2012 2:00 AM

Everybody, I never said that I want them to move. I just said they probably will and I’m getting sick of hearing every little thing that comes up about the situation. Why would I want them to move? I love beating them and watching them f everything up too much. Although, at the same time, I fear that if they actually would get a formidable place to play, they wouldnt be as big of a joke. For me, its actually a catch 22.

124. michfan says: May 2, 2012 2:20 AM

Not to sound like White Sox announcer, Ken Harrelson, ( yes I know it’s baseball), ” …………….They Gone”! lol,

Those idiots deserve everything that happens to them. The same jokers get elected every year. The same “special session” term comes up. LMAO!

125. krose91 says: May 2, 2012 2:31 AM

With they money thats been used to pay these people for making a decision Minnesota could have build 2 stadiums.

126. lnfinite says: May 2, 2012 2:49 AM

So many children post the sky is falling on the Vikings. The truth is the stadium bill will get passed but reporters want to bring up even the smallest hurdle into the limelight.

This is to be expected when a GOP controlled house is battling a democratic governor as to who takes credit for keeping the Vikings in Minnesota.

Trust me I will keep laughing at the tards who keep on posting they will relocate to LA. It ain’t happening bozos!

127. puntonfirstdown says: May 2, 2012 2:56 AM

It’s time to welcome the St. Louis Rams to the NFC North.

128. seanb20124 says: May 2, 2012 5:27 AM

Why do taxpayers want to subsidize
    the NFL?

129. browns627 says: May 2, 2012 5:53 AM

anyone that voted in a WWF wrestler as governor and the worst cast member of Saturday night live as a congressman deserves to lose their football team. we now have al franken being the decided vote for obama care.. thanks Minnesota now you deserve to lose your football team.

130. northstars1991 says: May 2, 2012 5:57 AM

Nobody wants to pay for this thing and I can’t blame them. It’s extortion from a billionaire owner from NY. The previous billionaire was from TX. HOW STUPID IS THAT? Hey, the Minnesota Viking History isn’t important to the NFL? Perhaps the NFL should just go ____ themselves. Seriously, having the the Vikings be owned via public Stock by a bunch Minnesota Investors, now that wouldn’t make any sense at all would it… Again, maybe the NFL should just go _____ themselves. The Green Bay Packers are owned by their fans and are a small market team plus a model franchise. Why is it that the NFL despises that model? BE CAUSE YOU CANNOT HOLD COMMUNITIES HOSTAGE!

131. racksie says: May 2, 2012 6:19 AM

I think we should put it to a vote. Let the taxpaying citizens of Minnesota decide. Then, everyone can stare their neighbors down on Sundays, wondering who the 75% were who voted against it.

132. oilers2titans says: May 2, 2012 6:25 AM

bresilhac says:
    May 1, 2012 9:36 PM

———————————————————————————–

San Antonio is a crappy, ugly and poor city that would make a horrible market for pro football. I’ve lived here the past 4 years and I can’t wait to get the hell out of there. Just imagine an Eli Manning-type QB drafted by a SA team with the #1 pick in the draft. No way he’d come to this crappy city. He’ll force a trade and go anywhere. San Antonio does not deserve a football team ever. The worst city I’ve ever been to and everyone I know that has come here has echoed those sentiments. San Antonio Sucks!!!!!

133. racksie says: May 2, 2012 6:39 AM

And creative tattooing, and over aged face painting is never going to get Syd Davies the ragnar gig. HE’S CANADIAN! HE HAS NO STAKE IN MINNESOTA POLITICS!

134. lawyermalloy says: May 2, 2012 6:43 AM

When politics and sports merge, on ANY issue, nothing good occurs.

135. dewalt2990 says: May 2, 2012 6:59 AM

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Rams in the NFCN. I also wouldn’t mind picking over their roster…Steven Jackson would fit right into the black and blue.

136. mp42245 says: May 2, 2012 7:07 AM

Hello LA

137. urcrap says: May 2, 2012 7:39 AM

In Denny Green fashion. “We had em and we let em get away!”

138. fwippel says: May 2, 2012 8:03 AM

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: The Twin Cities are not NFL caliber cities, and the behavior of the politicos in this state have once again proven this. These are the same politicians that approved new stadiums for the Gophers and Twins, while pushing the Vikings to the side year after year.

The Twin Cities and the state of Minnesota do not deserve an NFL franchise, and Zygi Wilf can find a better deal someplace else. It’s time for this team to move.

139. hodag54501 says: May 2, 2012 8:17 AM

This is a good lesson in modern-day politics for those of you who don’t follow this regularly.
    If a nationally known company in another realm was making noises about relocating, most of the legislators would be all over themselves trying to find some sort of public financing that isn’t labeled as public financing to help out that firm. The firm needs help rebuilding it’s infrastructure. But in an era when the word ‘tax’ has replaced the proper word ‘revenue’ in the vernacular, many have convinced the citizens that this is simply stealing from them. In fact, losing the Vikings would be a huge blow to Twin Cities long-term financial health.
    That is what the Vikings are to Minnesota. This is a large, well-known company with hundreds of well-paid employees that could skip town. They need help to rebuild the infrastructure. The business owner should put up some money, and the citizens should help via a LOAN that would be paid back.
    But there’s an element out there that simply sees ‘tax’….not revenue…and refuses to see a wider picture.
    In a state with less money, Wisconsin citizens helped out the Packers and the Brewers. Both franchises are prospering, and the citizens who are employed by the franchises also live and spend locally.
    When you have your next cup of Tea, remember the difference between the nasty reference to”tax” and and the reality of “revenue.”

140. tatum064 says: May 2, 2012 8:25 AM

jonasgrumbyoftx says:
    May 1, 2012 8:38 PM
    =======

Wouldnt happen. They’d switch St. Louis to the NFC North, and Vikes would go to the NFC West.

141. alewatcher says: May 2, 2012 8:26 AM

jcar4x says: May 1, 2012 10:52 PM

—————–
    The NFL has no plans for expansion. Also, consider the fact that, to attract a new NFL team, you’ll have to build…wait for it…a NEW STADIUM!

Why not just build a new stadium for the team you already have? Cheaper in the long run, plus you can’t count on getting another NFL franchise.

142. jefe17 says: May 2, 2012 8:27 AM

dragonfly99 says:
    May 1, 2012 8:35 PM

____________________

I still dont get why people keep thinkin Jerry World was paid for by Jerry? Jerry Jones paid the teams portion just like the Vikes would do. The City of Arlington and the surrounding areas I believe put towards over 1/3 of the cost of the stadium, and they had the new sales tax (hotel, rental car, merchandise) pay for another portion of it.

All that being said, as a Packers fan living in Minnesota, this is all getting old. I am watching every Vikings fan, one by one, losing hope. I still see some blind fans out there. Im not sure it will ever get the chance to be voted on. Or if they put it on the ballot. I dont think Residents would approve the plan, but thats just me.

143. Canned Heat says: May 2, 2012 8:30 AM

johnnyb216 says:May 1, 2012 8:31 PM

__________________________________

Mocking your neighbor and team rival is one thing….this is just idiotic. And frankly, you sound like one of those clowns out in PA bragging about how great it is in Pittsburgh, when everyone knows how great it really ISN’T in Pittsburgh. Nothing good would come of the Vikings moving to L.A.

If you’re truly a Packer fan like this season ticket holder, the LAST thing you want is a Vikings move. The best thing for the sport and for your state’s economies are rivalries like this.

If that happens, there’s division realignment again and then we’ll likely have ourselves a new rivalry with the St. Louis Rams. Doesn’t that sound grand? Or they’ll swap conferences with a team or two and you can go see a divisional game with the Bengals.

Think a little before you type, man.

144. xxwhodatxx says: May 2, 2012 8:36 AM

blancodiablo says:
    May 1, 2012 10:57 PM
    xxwhodatxx says:May 1, 2012 10:10 PM

—————————-

Well, look what I did there. Boat!

While youre adjusting yourself, I believe Cincinnati wants their saying back.

—

Staying classy is overrated which you obviously agree with me on that with your boat comment which I assume is about Katrina. So if u wanna get mad cause im messing around I don’t care. This is football A GAME so next time you wanna play all high and mighty don’t make jokes about a real tragedy like Katrina and not a fake one which is the whole Vikings organization.

145. sonopazzo6 says: May 2, 2012 8:37 AM

L.A. Vikings………kind of has a nice ring to it!

146. sonopazzo6 says: May 2, 2012 8:41 AM

………or how about Atlantic City?……get Trump involved……gambling, salt water taffy and now pro football!……I’m liking it…the Atlantic City Vikings!

147. realitypolice says: May 2, 2012 8:57 AM

dragonfly99 says:
    May 1, 2012 8:35 PM
    ================

Because he doesn’t have to. Unlike Kraft or Jones, he has something to hang over his states head.

Everyone knew they would never move their teams.

Wilf has an option that would put him in a brand new state of the art stadium, radically increase his game day revenue and probably double the value of his team.

If Minnesota wants him to sacrifice revenue and franchise value to stay, it has to give him a reason to do so.

148. gmen1987 says: May 2, 2012 9:20 AM

Just move the team already. Stop with this political correctness. Move the Vikings to a city that deserves professional football.

149. desertviking64 says: May 2, 2012 9:29 AM

With the sunday ticket and all the tv coverage,unless you are a season ticket holder deosnt matter where they play. Free agents come and go, we are really rooting for uniforms and colors.

150. fwippel says: May 2, 2012 9:33 AM

jcar4x says: May 1, 2012 10:52 PM

————————————

Not without building a new stadium, you won’t. So the question is this: Do you build the stadium now and keep the Vikings, or wait, then realize the hit the local economy takes (resulting in reduced tax revenue), and then do something.

If you want to repeat the mistakes made by cities like Baltimore, St. Louis, Houston and Cleveland, go right ahead and let them leave. However, don’t count on an expansion team coming in, because that’s not going to happen. If you go this route, the state and the twin cities will have to pay for the stadium without any help from the new franchise.

151. PriorKnowledge says: May 2, 2012 9:54 AM

As a long-time Republican, I am sad to report that it appears that the Republicans in the Minn Legislature are fouling this up. The Dem Gov has worked a deal and the Rep are playing politics and about to scuttle it. For whatever reason they are doing it, if the Vikings move, it will be their fault.

You know the prisoner is being executed at 12:00. It does no good to grant the pardon at 12:01.

152. racksie says: May 2, 2012 10:02 AM

So….if this money for the Vikings stadium doesn’t get approved, where does it go? The actual infrastructure of the state of Minnesota, and the city of Minneapolis? What a tragedy.

153. thankheavenfornumberseven says: May 2, 2012 10:07 AM

reaser2 says:May 1, 2012 9:53 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 1, 2012 9:41 PM

————–

Seems pretty simple, LA would be West and STL would move to the North…
    _________

Congratulations on falling for Carl’s “joke”. He only asked because everyone always suggestions that switch. He’s kind of a d-bag.

154. bnwpnw says: May 2, 2012 10:12 AM

Much more of this and Zygi WILL use the Poison Pill. On everyone.

155. bordner says: May 2, 2012 10:32 AM

xxwhodatxx says:
    May 2, 2012 8:36 AM
    blancodiablo says:
    May 1, 2012 10:57 PM
    xxwhodatxx says:May 1, 2012 10:10 PM

—————————-

Well, look what I did there. Boat!

While youre adjusting yourself, I believe Cincinnati wants their saying back.
    ————————————-
    ——————————————–
    Wow. I actually thought he was being cool and ripping on his team in reference to the Love Boat incident from a few years back that all of us Packer fans love giving them grief over.

Turns out I was wrong – everything really is all about the Saints and their fans! Seriously… don’t you get tired of being that way all the time?

156. vikefan says: May 2, 2012 10:39 AM

———————————————————
    so ur for higher unemployment, job killing deals, and bigger deficits, eh?

157. racksie says: May 2, 2012 10:39 AM

jjpmn says: May 2, 2012 12:10 AM

IT’s not the stock market, it is an actual economy. You don’t hope to profit with my money. Zygi can hope to profit with his own money. Bet Zygi doesn’t sleep too well these days. Good. Use that time to come up with your own plan, Zygi.

158. ruvelligwebuike says: May 2, 2012 10:39 AM

God, that worthless stock I bought for the Packers this year…how WORTHLESS!!!

That $250 piece of toilet paper that renovated Lambeau Field with no tax payer money and no government involvement…I’m a fat, drunk, inbred HICK!!!

Proudly displaying it on the wall of my office right now. Honor, loyalty, pride, integrity. Maybe you should learn abou ti.

Remember when Pohlad tried to contract the Twins? In 1991, they led the league in attendance. By ’94, nobody came to the games. Proof positive that Minnesotans in general are too fickle and shallow to support anything.

159. thewizardofbs says: May 2, 2012 11:20 AM

Joe Roby had the same problem in Miami, he got tired of trying to get the city to fix up the Orange bowl so he built his own stadium outside of town. He used no public money, he did it all on his own. Now the dolphins own their own stadium and keep all the money from the Dolphin games. They talked the Hurricanes into leaving the Orange Bowl and now they get all the money for the Hurricanes games also. They have concerts, monster truck shows, the list goes on and on. Don’t forget $20 to park your car and the concession money for all those events. If promoted right a stadium owned by the team can be a gold mine.

160. southcakpanther says: May 2, 2012 11:54 AM

blancodiablo says:
    May 1, 2012 10:57 PM
    xxwhodatxx says:May 1, 2012 10:10 PM
    —————————-

Well, look what I did there. Boat!

While youre adjusting yourself, I believe Cincinnati wants their saying back.

——————–
    Take out the Katrina smack and I agree 100%. Most Saint fans are just bandwagoners so they have no clue that Benson was out of New Orleans until Katrina hit. They stunk for 40 years and now act like they are this tradition rich team like the Packers or Steelers. Saint fans are a joke just like this Vioing stadium situation.

161. caliangel08 says: May 2, 2012 11:56 AM

Vikings to L.A. ???

Last I heard AEG , the people controlling the stadium situation in L.A. , wanted part ownership of any team going there and the league said NO .

Then Goodell burns some jet fuel and meets with the Mayor of L.A. , still wondering why he did that unless the NFL was trying to work a deal for the Coliseum before U.S.C takes it over .

Newsflash …… L.A. is a bigger mess than Minnesota right now …..

162. jjpmn says: May 2, 2012 12:21 PM

racksie says:
    May 2, 2012 10:39 AM

***

If you’re opposed to the stadium plan then so be it. I’m not going to sway you, you’re not going to sway me. Just for the sake of argument, let’s say they make a last minute deal. Wouldn’t it have made more sense for the state to keep the construction costs down and get as much out of it financially as they could by addressing this at an earlier date when they actually had leverage? That was my point. That’s a stock market scenario, that’s just common sense.

163. blancodiablo says: May 2, 2012 12:42 PM

xxwhodatxx says:May 2, 2012 8:36 AM

blancodiablo says:
    May 1, 2012 10:57 PM
    xxwhodatxx says:May 1, 2012 10:10 PM

—————————-

Well, look what I did there. Boat!

While youre adjusting yourself, I believe Cincinnati wants their saying back.

————————————————

Ouch! Did someone step on your fallopian tubes? Make a reference to a boat and you fall out like a little girl.

I never said anything about Katrina or how a natural disaster was necessary to save your team. Golly, are you quick to pull the trigger there sheriff!

Let me rephrase the whole “boat” comment so it doesnt offend your dear little ol’ heart and your assuming ways.

Give it time and the Saints will be back in deep water after the levee breaks.

Better?

164. granadafan says: May 2, 2012 12:53 PM

“thewizardofbs says: May 2, 2012 11:20 AM
    Joe Roby had the same problem in Miami, he got tired of trying to get the city to fix up the Orange bowl so he built his own stadium outside of town. He used no public money, he did it all on his own. ”
    ==============================================

The days of Joe Roby are long gone. Today’s multi billionaire owners in leagues worth hundreds of billions of dollars know they can screw over taxpayers and states in the worst Republican-led recession since the Great Depression and make them build their own businesses without investing one cent. Meanwhile, people need healthcare and sustainable REAL jobs, not a part time job making minimum wage one day a week.

Wealthy people like the owners and Goodell just don’t get it. Our priorities in life are screwed.

165. urcrap says: May 2, 2012 2:18 PM

The money I’ll save not going to MSP for a game will more than pay for the NFL package and the bonus will be not having to be around obnoxious drunks banging their heads to the piped in noise. I used to think going to a Vike game was money well spent. Thanks to the well oiled Minnesota political machine it’s soon going to be money well saved! I’ll gladly eat those words but it sure looks like I won’t have to.

166. muskywhisperer says: May 2, 2012 5:33 PM

For the love of God just vote. None of you politicians should be re-elected. Try life in the private sector for a while. It would be a travesty if the Vikings were to move. Wake up for gosh sake!

167. calvikefan1 says: May 2, 2012 6:00 PM

This spectacle is THE MOST pathetic thing I have ever seen. ZIGGY havn’t you had enough? Just move the damn team and give the state of Minnesota the bird as you wave bye-bye !

168. elkmoundsucks says: May 3, 2012 7:39 AM

Maybe the folks in Minnesota are the smart ones afterall. In 10 Years there will be no NFL due to concussion lawsuits and insurance premiums!

If the politicians eventually cave in and a new Stadium is built, they better make sure that the field surface is big enough for soccer!

169. weakafceast says: May 8, 2012 5:12 PM

Another Dem blaming the GOP for their inability to get anything done, figures.